The Chicago Sun-Times today reported that Arlovski will return to the octagon for a March 1 fight at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. However, representatives from Arlovski's management today told MMAjunkie.com (UFC News & Rumors - MMA News - UFC Fighters - UFC Event Recaps and Previews - MMAjunkie.com) that Arlovski hasn't yet signed to fight at any event.
With that said, though, Arlovski has just one fight remaining on his current deal, and he's expected to fight before the contract expires on April 15. With the recent cancellation/rescheduling of a March 8 event in the U.K., that makes UFC 82 the most likely option for Arlovski's return.
Still, though, nothing has been signed, his management team said.
UFC 81 currently features a main event between UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva and former PRIDE champ Dan Henderson.
The 28-year-old Arlovski hasn't competed since April 2007's UFC 70 event, where he scored a unanimoius-decision victory over UFC newcomer Fabricio Werdum. Prior to the fight, UFC President Dana White hinted that the winner might be in line for a title shot. Arlovski posted a clear-cut unanimous-decision win at the overseas event, but it didn't exactly sit well with fans expecting fireworks from the two heavyweights. And, of course, the title shot never came.
Arlovski hasn't fought since then -- a layoff of nearly nine months.
The UFC has wanted Arlovski to sign a contract extension, but the fact that he hasn't won't keep White from booking him for a fight. During a press conference last month, White said that Arlovski would likely fight in the next "couple months" regardless of his contract status