My training for hopefully my first MMA fight log

tattoopierced1

Just thought I'd do a different log here. Since October, I've taken up an interest in competing in a local MMA bout just to see how I would fare. I tried out for a local TUF like reality show and did fairly well if it werent for my knee. The coaches said they can see me fighting in the future, so this kind of solidified things for me that it could be something I may be able to do. So in December I started looking for training partners and came across some good people to train with. My boxing coach is a 2x Golden Glove champion and every other weekend, I drive an hour to train with a purple belt in BJJ and Sambo. During the week I am going to start rolling with some local guys to practice what I learn over the weekends. I also lift 4 days per week, so I'm pretty much training in some form 6-7 days per week, sometimes twice a day.

1.15.08: First actual sparring session with my boxing coach. We've worked on some 123 combos in the past and on my footwork (I'm a wrestler, so my boxing sucks), but this was the first time I got in there and spared with him. My biggest problem is keeping my hands up.. everytime he would drop down to seemingly throw a hook, I'd drop my hands to block and he would throw a straight right. Needless to say, my jaw hurts today. It was fun though and I learned alot, I know what I need to work on, and my defense and conditioning are the two big ones. I do pretty well punching, and my footwork has improved over the past week. He stunned me a few times, but I actually enjoyed it, makes you feel alive and lets you know real quick what you need to work on.

This Saturday I am going to roll with the BJJ/Sambo guy so I expect to have sore joints over the weekend like last time. The guy is 260lbs so that should be a good weight for me to roll with since I'm hoping to fight HW. I just have to gauge whether dropping to LHW would be better for me or not. I know at HW, I'll be more agile than most of the guys, but probably giving up some weight... whereas at LHW, I'd be the bigger guy, but most likely not as agile. I'll have to play around with things and feel them out to see.

My goal is to sign up to fight in March for the fight to take place sometime over the summer/fall if they have a show in that timeframe. I am leaving things up to my coaches on giving me the nod to fight or not. I dont want to go in there unprepared and get hurt, so I figure I'd leave the decision up to both of them to see if I'm ready or not skill wise.

More log to come.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck. The main thing you should focus on is conditioning. Don't gas out like I did in my first fight.

tattoopierced1

Good luck. The main thing you should focus on is conditioning. Don't gas out like I did in my first fight.
thats what I gotta work on.. i have to find that sweet spot where i dont lose weight while conditioning myself...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thats what I gotta work on.. i have to find that sweet spot where i dont lose weight while conditioning myself...
I had the same mentality and ended up not being in shape. I wouldn't worry about size as much as your cardio. Also, you will be able to eat a ton of kcals leading into your fight, which is usually not the case.

tattoopierced1

I had the same mentality and ended up not being in shape. I wouldn't worry about size as much as your cardio. Also, you will be able to eat a ton of kcals leading into your fight, which is usually not the case.
yeah, my big thing is though I lose weight very very easy, even if I'm eating like a horse.. and I still am debating LHW and HW.. I'm leaning towards HW because I'm really not interested in losing weight, and the fact that I'll probably be more agile than the HW's that fight in this local org.

tattoopierced1

210-215 i'd say. my normal weight is around 225-230 though, but due to stress lately, i've lost weight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
210-215 i'd say.
Damn, I would aim for 185 then. That is a low walk-around weight for LHW. Get to 195 and then you will be golden. I am around 180 ATM, but I going to be fighting at 155 in April.

tattoopierced1

Damn, I would aim for 185 then. That is a low walk-around weight for LHW. Get to 195 and then you will be golden. I am around 180 ATM, but I going to be fighting at 155 in April.
man i'd be nothing at 185... i'm 6'7", i'd be a skeleton at that weight.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
I'm gonna be real honest here. Take the weight you are when you start training... subtract 30 and that should be where you fight. When you get to UFC level.... 20 lbs is the cut a lot of guys make... Hughes walks around at mid 190s. Franklin is around 207 walking weight and Tito walks around in the 230s.

6'7, 185 and strong.... you would wreck a lot of people. Corey Hill is 6'5 155.

tattoopierced1

I'm gonna be real honest here. Take the weight you are when you start training... subtract 30 and that should be where you fight. When you get to UFC level.... 20 lbs is the cut a lot of guys make... Hughes walks around at mid 190s. Franklin is around 207 walking weight and Tito walks around in the 230s.

6'7, 185 and strong.... you would wreck a lot of people. Corey Hill is 6'5 155.
the difference though is this isnt UFC.. and I have no intentions of doing this as a job, more of a hobby. The guys at the level I would be fighting in are no where near the caliber of a UFC fighter.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Right. But lately people are cutting anyway just to get used to it. Be careful with you opponent choices, do some research before you accept a fight. I used to manage a fight team of guys and some promoters will try to throw you to an 0-0 lion thats been training for 20 months because he has the intent to go to the UFC.... and fast.

tattoopierced1

Right. But lately people are cutting anyway just to get used to it. Be careful with you opponent choices, do some research before you accept a fight. I used to manage a fight team of guys and some promoters will try to throw you to an 0-0 lion thats been training for 20 months because he has the intent to go to the UFC.... and fast.
i realize that.. but on the plus side, I work with the promoters mother and he somewhat knows me, so I dont think he'd be unfair.. but I will checkout whatever opponent thoroughly.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
i realize that.. but on the plus side, I work with the promoters mother and he somewhat knows me, so I dont think he'd be unfair.. but I will checkout whatever opponent thoroughly.
Where are you located? I'll help you scout anyway I can.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
interesting log man, I'd love to hear how you fair at your first fight.

Prjct86Man

Awards
whatever you do, dont starve yourself to make weight. thats what i did and my metabolism got jacked up when i started eating again, now ive got about 20-25 lbs to shed.

tattoopierced1

whatever you do, dont starve yourself to make weight. thats what i did and my metabolism got jacked up when i started eating again, now ive got about 20-25 lbs to shed.
if I go HW, then there wont be a problem... I can get on the scale while eating a double whopper...

I figure if I can put another 10-15lbs on by fight time, i'll fare much better in HW.

Prjct86Man

Awards
i dunno, i would look at LHW, i could be wrong but i think even some HW cut because it helps them peak around fight time. at 6'7" and around 220, that cut wouldnt be too bad and you would be a hoss come fight time.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I think LHW is the way to go for sure. You might get man-handled at HW. I'm a smidge over 6 feet, 235, about 10-11% BF, and would surely fight at LHW. Then again you are 6'7". Still, I think you should fight at LHW, then maybe at some point take some time off from full time training and pack on some quality mass, then try HW.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, I think LHW is the way to go for sure. You might get man-handled at HW. I'm a smidge over 6 feet, 235, about 10-11% BF, and would surely fight at LHW. Then again you are 6'7". Still, I think you should fight at LHW, then maybe at some point take some time off from full time training and pack on some quality mass, then try HW.
235lbs at 10-11% BF, DAMN, that's a solid physique

I'm 220 and can't drop below 17% BF to save my life.

tattoopierced1

At this point, I'm just going to see what I feel comfortable with. Like I said, I prefer fighting HW, for numerous reasons, but am not totally against LHW if I feel I will fare better in that division. I'm not making my final decision until late March so hopefully I'll be able to put some solid mass on in between now and then.

size

Awards
  • Established
If you are doing it as a hobby then do not worry about dropping lots of weight.

My tips:
Often guys who are new to striking consistently "drag" the jab. A good boxer/striker will pick you apart if you have this problem.

If you are grappling with a guy a lot bigger or stronger than you, then try to tire him out or "cook" him. Simply wait for your opening rather then trying to force them.

Good luck. It is much fun.

tattoopierced1

1-19-08: Sambo/Jiu Jitsu training

Awesome day, Blake is a bad bad man when it comes to this stuff. I've never been tied up into so many positions so quickly. We worked on kneebars, ankle locks, heel hooks, and did a little, but not much on, armbars and triangle chokes. This guy knows so much it will take a while to let everything soak in. Needless to say I'm sore as can be today, my obliques have never been so sore. Blake is a pretty big guy, I'd say 250-260lbs, but amazes me with everything he knows and can do. I am working on finding someone locally to roll with me during the week so I can work on stuff that Blake teaches me on the weekends.

Tuesday is more boxing...update then.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Send me a PM with what town you are in and I'll see if I can find some open mat stuff thru the people I know. How far are you willing to travel?

size

Awards
  • Established
Guys who train in sambo and/or submission wrestling are going to do MANY more leg/ankle submissions than jj guys. If you want to learn some good leg/ankle submission look up Erik Paulson.

tattoopierced1

Guys who train in sambo and/or submission wrestling are going to do MANY more leg/ankle submissions than jj guys. If you want to learn some good leg/ankle submission look up Erik Paulson.
will do.. the guy I am working with now placed 2nd or 3rd in the Arnold Grappling tournament back in 2001

tattoopierced1

On a side note, I am giving something a try while I train for this. Every evening, I take a 32oz Nagalene bottle, fill it to the 30oz mark and place it upon a digital scale and zero it out. I take some Xtend (I use orange flavor), and add until the scale registers 30g. I then zero the scale out again and take Beta Alanine and add until the scale reads 10g. Zero out again, and add SuperCarb until the scale registers 30g. I put this in the fridge and drink throughout the day the next day. On training days, I'll drink one of these over the course of either of my training sessions. I am going to add in some bulk NP BCAAs to up the BCAA's I get everyday from 30g to 40-50g. The flavor is sweet so adding some unflavored BCAAs will not make a difference as this mixture tastes of an orange soda without the carbonation. It is a good replacement for those who drink soda daily. I will keep updated on any endurance effects I get from it from training, and will keep an eye out for any changes in the gym with regards to weight training as well.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Just found this log...think I'll make myself at home and stay for a bit!

tattoopierced1

Thats a tough location. Kentucky has some schools but none that I have connects with. If I got someone to let you crash in Indianapolis would you be interested in training at Modern Gladiator Gym for a weekend?

http://www.moderngladiator.org/
possibly in the next few months I would. Things are tough right now, trying to get visitation straightened out for my son and whatnot, but things should calm down by March or so..

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Keep it in mind.

I'll see who I can reach out to in Paducah or Lexington.

tattoopierced1

Boxing last night went well. We worked on combinations and on my conditioning. I feel my punches becoming more crisp, but I tire fairly quickly so that is an area I am focusing on. Footwork is much better than when I first started, still not perfect, but hey, I'm just a few weeks in. I feel pleased with the way things are going so far, but am going to try and up the amount I box etc..

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Boxing last night went well. We worked on combinations and on my conditioning. I feel my punches becoming more crisp, but I tire fairly quickly so that is an area I am focusing on. Footwork is much better than when I first started, still not perfect, but hey, I'm just a few weeks in. I feel pleased with the way things are going so far, but am going to try and up the amount I box etc..
I was thinking about doing this but I'm a little intimidated. How hard is this to learn?

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking about doing this but I'm a little intimidated. How hard is this to learn?
How good are you trying to get? If just bag work/mitt work is all you want to be efficient at... 6 months is a good target.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How good are you trying to get? If just bag work/mitt work is all you want to be efficient at... 6 months is a good target.

I'm looking at it for the experience and cardio. I'm not really looking to get into the ring.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Yeah good footwork and speedbag skills in about 6 months if you do it 3-4 times a week for an hour.

tattoopierced1

its not too bad.. just about getting acclimated to what 1,2,3,4 etc.. is without thinking about it. jab, straight, hook, etc..

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How rough is the cardio part? The studio near me talks about 1000 cals a session.

tattoopierced1

How rough is the cardio part? The studio near me talks about 1000 cals a session.
i do a watered down version as to not burn too many cals as I dont want to lose any weight... but it is exhausting, but fun.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The initial kcal expenditure is probably roughly equivalent to moderate intensity cardio, but the EPOC will be much higher, plus it will help to tighten/strenghen your core.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The initial kcal expenditure is probably roughly equivalent to moderate intensity cardio, but the EPOC will be much higher, plus it will help to tighten/strenghen your core.

My core is pretty good, but my lungs maybe not so much. I also have a little skip in my heart that gets me every now and then.

size

Awards
  • Established
its not too bad.. just about getting acclimated to what 1,2,3,4 etc.. is without thinking about it. jab, straight, hook, etc..
Look into getting the Bas Rutten MMA Workout CD. It is a great way to get work in on number drills w/o having a feeder. It quite simply is just Bas shouting out combinations.

In regards to your standing foot work, be observant that you do not cross your feet(stepping in front of the other leg). For straight boxing this is not uncommon, but once kicking and takedowns involved, crossing your feet will lead to big trouble.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
That's cool TP. I've been doing a lot of MMA training lately too. Mostly for a challenge but I do have the competitive itch, and plan on doing a BJJ tourney in the spring. I also had a training camp with Randy at his xtreme couture camp a few weeks ago, which was pretty enlightening..

I'll keep on checking this out, I look forward to seeing you progress!

tattoopierced1

thats awesome Ubi. Glad to see you around. I didnt get a chance to box this week, my trainer has been sick, and I doubt I'll get to roll tomorrow because the place we roll at is having some gymnastics thing tomorrow morning. This week has been bad for everyone but me... But on the bright side, I get to train with WNBF Mr. Universe tomorrow.