Fights to look forward to in '08

terminator

terminator

Awards
I was just wondering which fights you guys were looking forward to this year.

Personally I am looking forward to :

UFC 80- Joe Stevenson VS BJ Penn-

I give the edge to Penn if the fight ends within the first 3 rounds, if it goes to round 4 or 5 Stevenson. I am a little biased with this conclusion of course because I have sparred with Stevenson when he was over at Kobra Kai and he is incredibly strong, fast and has unbelievably good submission technique.

Werdum and Gonzaga- I give Gonzaga the win

Ultimate Fight Night 12-

Burkeman VS Swick should be good

UFC 81-

Brock Lesnar VS Frank Mir- I believe Mir will submit Lesnar 2nd round

Tim Silvia VS Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira- Nog 2nd round submission.

Nate "The Great" Marquardt VS Jeremy Horn- I'm excited to see Horn fight again

UFC 82-

Anderson "The Spider" Silva VS Dan Henderson- I believe Henderson will de-throne Silva.

Yushin Okami VS Evan Tanner- I'm excited to see Evan fight again although it is a different game now than when Tanner was fighting in the UFC, none-the-less I'm very excited to see him fight again!!!

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Fedor/Couture :twisted:

I can dream, right?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Zuffa will keep Couture entangled in legal battles for quite a while. I wish it would happen, but I say 09 at earliest.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
M-1 should pick up Arlovski if the UFC isn't resigning him. Arlovski vs. Barnett, Aleks, Sergei, Fedor, Hunt, ... all make for interesting matchups, although I think Andrei loses most of those.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Well his contract expires in Oct 08, right?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No Zuffa has some clause that says that they retain the rights to him indefinitely if he doesn't complete his four fights by Oct. 08. The clause won't hold up in court from what I've read, but I bet Zuffa will keep it in the courts for as long as they can to keep Couture from fighting.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
there is also a clause I believe that while he holds the belt he is under contract, thats why the Timmy/Nog fight is for the interim title

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Zuffa will keep Couture entangled in legal battles for quite a while. I wish it would happen, but I say 09 at earliest.
This is kind of what I was thinking. I hope this doesn't end up mirroring the way Barry Sanders ended his career.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Here ya go.
Fedor Emelianenko and Randy Couture to Meet on Thursday

Posted by MMA Junkie on January 14, 2008 at 10:13 am ET
Former PRIDE heavyweight champion and current M-1 Global fighter Fedor Emelianenko will meet with estranged UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture on Thursday — likely to discuss the bout that the two fighters have long desired.

The news comes from the m1mixfight.com website, which is run by Emelianenko’s management team, which is headed by Vadim Finkelstein.

Although it’s being held under the guise of a business meeting between Emelianenko and representatives of Couture’s Affliction clothing line (Emelianenko may sign a sponsorship deal with the company), Emelianenko “plans to meet Randy Couture there to discuss things in person,” according to the website. Those “things” could include a future fight.

The meeting will take place in Los Angeles.

Back in October, Couture announced his resignation from the UFC citing a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues of his pay, and the UFC’s inability to sign then-top free agent Emelianenko to a UFC contract (Couture had stated on numerous occasions that a victory over Emelianenko is about the only thing the 44-year-old think that he has left to accomplish in his career). Couture plans to sit out of competition until October, when he feels his UFC fight and employment contracts expire. However, UFC President Dana White had continually stated that the contracts won’t expire until Couture fulfills the terms of the deal.

The matter’s likely to end up in the courts.

Emelianenko, a 31-year-old Russian, signed a non-exclusive deal with the restructured M-1 Global organization in October. He was permitted to compete in a New Year’s Eve show in Japan against 7-foot-2 kickboxer Hong-Man Choi, whom he submitted in just under two minutes. The victory pushed Emelianenko’s record to 27-1.

As for the potential Couture-Emelianenko fight — if it ever happens — it has the potential to be one of the biggest fights in MMA history. A number of organizations are already thought to be vying for hosting duties.

For more on this story, check out the Randy Couture archives here on MMAjunkie.com

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Serra/GSP.

That's the big one I am waiting for. Hoping for Canadian redemption.

terminator

terminator

Awards
Serra/GSP.

That's the big one I am waiting for. Hoping for Canadian redemption.
I'm looking forward to that fight as well.

I really want to see Serra vs Hughes as well. I hope that fight happens.

As for Arlovski, his last fights have been pretty weak and boring. I was really disappointed with the Werdum/ Arlovski fight.

Couture vs Fedor would be awesome but I'm not counting on this for quite a while.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Forrest Page will be fun. Forrest always brings it, and I think it will actually go the distance, with Page winning it pretty obviously. I can't wait to see these two on TUF as well. Them and Mayhem are my are my favorite personalities. I kind of see them getting along on the show, despite competeting against each other.

I'd also like to see Fedor vs Ricco or Barnett.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fedor v. Ricco? why, isnt Ricco a rotund 300lbs?

Other possibilities for the year that could be fun
Fitch v. GSP
Sherk v. Penn
Sherk v. Gomi (if he signs)
Lesnar v. a striker (would like to see his chin tested)
Henderson (after he beats Silva) v. Franklin

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
Fedor v. Ricco? why, isnt Ricco a rotund 300lbs?

Other possibilities for the year that could be fun
Fitch v. GSP
Sherk v. Penn
Sherk v. Gomi (if he signs)
Lesnar v. a striker (would like to see his chin tested)
Henderson (after he beats Silva) v. Franklin
Ricco is getting back into shape, and looked good in his last fights.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ricco is getting back into shape, and looked good in his last fights.
really? if that is the case then maybe, a very slim maybe. I still have images of Sylvia dropping him on his head