UFC 81 Rumors --- 2-2-08

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Date: Feb. 2, 2008
Venue: Mandalay Bay Events Center
Broadcast: Pay-Per-View

Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Tim Sylvia (for interim heavyweight title)
Brock Lesnar vs. Frank Mir
Thales Leites vs. Nate Marquardt
Tyson Griffin vs. Gleison Tibau
Marvin Eastman vs. Terry Martin
Ricardo Almeida vs. Alan Belcher
Tomasz Drwal vs. David Heath

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll watch this one for Brock. I'm hoping he has a good debut. I'm a fan of his athleticism at his size, I'm hoping to be a fan of his fighting talent too.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think he might be better than we think. Militech really talked him up, so if Pat thinks he is that good I will go with it

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Haven't heard Almeida's name for a while. Cool that he's back. Leites-Marquardt should be a good one. Can't wait. I really hope Sylvia doesn't jab Nog for 5 rounds with no ground work.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Havent seen a bad card in a awhile, some slugs on the last one but the big names came correct, glad to see the pit bull 'shoulder in'. sodokojou (sp) sweet predator mask, too bad he ran into the assassin destroyer.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Nogueira will have a lot of trouble taking Sh*tinthepants down, unless he stuns him standing. I really don't know who will win the stand up. Nogueira is much more technical, but Sylvia is longer and hits harder. Nogueira will find a way to win, but a bad style match up for him.

Martin/Eastman should be a slugfest. Hopefully Martin will hit the gym a couple times before this fight, unlike his fight against Leben.

Leitas/Marquardt has fight of the night written all over it. Griffin's fights seem to always be competitive and entertaining.

Pretty good card, still not "complete" like it could/should be, but I'm not complaining, just saying.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I forgot Mir/Lesnar was on this card as well. Don't know what to think about that fight. Mir, IMO, is more or less a bum, but Lesnar is inexperienced and Mir could do the one thing he does well, catch Lesnar in a nasty submission.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Mir can't handle a real wrestler. I dont care what anyone says... Lesnar walks out with a W.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mir can't handle a real wrestler. I dont care what anyone says... Lesnar walks out with a W.
That's what I'm hoping for. I was PUMPED to have Mirko make a UFC debut, but that got shot to hell. I'm hoping Lesnar makes a solid debut.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
That's what I'm hoping for. I was PUMPED to have Mirko make a UFC debut, but that got shot to hell. I'm hoping Lesnar makes a solid debut.
Mirko was outweighed by nearly 40 lbs against Gonzaga.

Mirko is now back up to 231 and pretty solid (He's changed quite a bit of his regimine trainingwise) Look for his next fight to kind of be a big deal.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I forgot Mir/Lesnar was on this card as well. Don't know what to think about that fight. Mir, IMO, is more or less a bum, but Lesnar is inexperienced and Mir could do the one thing he does well, catch Lesnar in a nasty submission.
Pete Williams, Sylvia, Sims, Tank >>>>>> Zulu, Coleman, HMC, undersized Stinky. Mir is back baby!!!! :box: Not really. You might be a little overly harsh, but Mir was good bjj HW in the UFC at a time when there were none. Now there is Nog, Gonzo, Werdum,.... who have other talents too and can last for longer than 4 min without gassing. I could see Lesnar getting subbed though. Hardonkadonk or McCully or even Kongo would have been safer matches for Lesnar.

Mouth, I don't think Gonzaga was any more than 25 pounds heavier than CC, but there was a big size difference.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
Mirko was 222 or so... Gonzaga is around 246+

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Someone posted an interview with one of Mirko's trainer a while back that said he had lost most of his K1 striking skills and that the fight with Kongo was too soon to get them back. He needs to train technique for a long time to get back to his old form. Let's hope he does.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Pete Williams, Sylvia, Sims, Tank >>>>>> Zulu, Coleman, HMC, undersized Stinky. Mir is back baby!!!! :box: Not really. You might be a little overly harsh, but Mir was good bjj HW in the UFC at a time when there were none. Now there is Nog, Gonzo, Werdum,.... who have other talents too and can last for longer than 4 min without gassing. I could see Lesnar getting subbed though. Hardonkadonk or McCully or even Kongo would have been safer matches for Lesnar.

Mouth, I don't think Gonzaga was any more than 25 pounds heavier than CC, but there was a big size difference.
Overly harsh? Mir blows. He is good with submissions if he is completely fresh, that's it. No gas tank, crappy stand up, he's really no threat to any semi-complete fighter. He got absolutely tooled against Ian Freeman who is a LHW. His performances against Vera, Pe de Pano, and Christiansen should've had him out of the UFC. The fact that some people think Mir is a possible contender baffles me. I would like to see Kimbo beat the piss out of Mir. Sorry fellas, I normally don't fighter bash, but Mir is a joke. That said, Mir has a chance to sub Lesnar, since it'll be Lesnar's first real MMA fight. I don't think it'll happen though, and I just might put some not so hard earned dough on that.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Wow, he really does not seem to train very hard, and yet he seems to be way too rough on his training partners. He was half a$$ing it on the heavy bag, and then jack that guys shoulder in drilling and appeared to elbow the guy in the face, too.

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
Loving Brock on the card.....waiting to see former IFBBer Chris Cook on ufc one day

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mirko was outweighed by nearly 40 lbs against Gonzaga.

Mirko is now back up to 231 and pretty solid (He's changed quite a bit of his regimine trainingwise) Look for his next fight to kind of be a big deal.
I hope so, I was a big fan when he was in PRIDE. I was hoping he would dominate when he came into the UFC (especially after I built him up so much to all my friends that were strictly UFC fans).

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
I hope so, I was a big fan when he was in PRIDE. I was hoping he would dominate when he came into the UFC (especially after I built him up so much to all my friends that were strictly UFC fans).
He wasn't happy with the move. Doesn't help that he was elected into Parliment prior to his UFC debut as well.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I think Brock is going to have a strong debut. To bad he's a bigot and an a-hole.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Leites broke his hand apparently and is off the card. :frustrate

Goat

Awards
Who are most of these guys? I wanna see Sam Hogar in the cage again, where has that guy been? Hogar vs Silvia baby!!!

:box::burg:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Who are most of these guys? I wanna see Sam Hogar in the cage again, where has that guy been? Hogar vs Silvia baby!!!

:box::burg:
I'm confused, please explain.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He's joking I would assume. We like to use the :twisted: to symbolize that we're joking, Goat.

Hoger will probably be Fedor's next opponent :twisted:.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
But I thought jokes were suppose to be funny? I just can't compute the joke I guess, sorry Goat.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
it is going to be interesting to see Brock in the cage. The first fight was a bit of a waste IMO, and Mir can be dangerous

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He wasn't happy with the move. Doesn't help that he was elected into Parliment prior to his UFC debut as well.
He signed with the UFC before they bought Pride. Mirko's problems have always been mental, but Gonzaga's size is not what won the fight. Aleks is bigger than Gonzaga and Mirko didn't have a problem with him.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
There was more of a back story to it. Pride was faltering, didn't offer him a spot on the NYE card and kinda jumped a sinking ship. He was also offered a huge amount of money. But he liked Pride rules and etc.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
jas123 MMA 33
TheMouth MMA 11
TheMouth MMA 41
jas123 MMA 46