Ufc 80: Rapid Fire-01/19/2008

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Ok so I'm bored and figured I'd check out the fight card for UFC 80. Looks like a pretty decent card in my opinion. BJ Penn is always exciting to watch and he alone makes buying this worth it. Stevenson has proven he is a top contender in the LW division. We'll see how he does against someone as good as BJ. I'm also curious as to how Gonzaga will recover after losing to Couture. One of the better, more technical HW's I have seen. Marcus Davis is an explosive and powerful fighter on a 5 fight win streak. I'd like to see him whip some a$$. Honestly, I'm no expert and I only know a hand full of fighters. I just enjoy watching the skill and action of hand to hand combat. What do you all think?

BJ Penn Vs. Joe Stevenson
Gabriel Gonzaga Vs. Fabricio Werdum
Jess Liaudin Vs. Marcus Davis
Wilson Gouveia Vs. Jason Lambert
Jorge Rivera Vs. Kendall Grove

-Probably won't be shown-
Antoni Hardonk Vs. Colin Robinson
Paul Kelly Vs. Paul Taylor
James Lee Vs. Alessio Sakara
Per Eklund Vs. Sam Stout

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I really like the Stevenson/Penn matchup as BJ at 155 is a beast. Penn by TKO rd 2

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Penn will destroy Stevenson quick. GG is good enough to either KO or decision Werdum. Davis should be fighting top comp these days, ie a top 10er like maybe Diego or Karo. Gouveia-Lambert is very interesting. 2 solid fighters but neither a top 10er. Overall a weak card IMO, but could be exciting. I'm sure that I'll watch it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Penn will destroy Stevenson quick. GG is good enough to either KO or decision Werdum. Davis should be fighting top comp these days, ie a top 10er like maybe Diego or Karo. Gouveia-Lambert is very interesting. 2 solid fighters but neither a top 10er. Overall a weak card IMO, but could be exciting. I'm sure that I'll watch it.
What he said, Stevenson has nothing to offer B.J.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Wow, only two 'headline' fights....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Except for 79, most of the recent cards have been really lackluster and disappointing. I would rather them combine 80 and 81 to make a real card.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this should probably be a free event on SPIKE.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, this should probably be a free event on SPIKE.
Probably right. Funny you say that because Spike is having a Fight Night four days later on the 23rd. Here is what the fight card looks like that day. Mostly a bunch of fighters from TUF.

Mike Swick Vs. Josh Burkman
Patrick Cote Vs. Drew McFedries
Alvin Robinson Vs. Nate Diaz
Michihiro Omigawa Vs. Thiago Tavares
Alberto Crane Vs. Kurt Pellegrino
Dennis Siver Vs. Gray Maynard
Jeremy Stephens Vs. Cole Miller
Joe Veres Vs. Cory Hill
Justin Buchholz Vs. Matt Wiman

LatSpread

LatSpread

Awards
  • Established
Except for 79, most of the recent cards have been really lackluster and disappointing. I would rather them combine 80 and 81 to make a real card.
x100, even 79 didnt prove to be that entertaining (didnt match the hype)

Anyway, luckily enough restaurants buy these PPV's so Ill end up watching it just for the BJ Penn fight

.....man I wish wandy would have knocked out Chucky at 79

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
x100, even 79 didnt prove to be that entertaining (didnt match the hype)

Anyway, luckily enough restaurants buy these PPV's so Ill end up watching it just for the BJ Penn fight

.....man I wish wandy would have knocked out Chucky at 79
I've become a snob, though. I cannot stand most MMA fans...you know the ones that boo when the fight goes to the ground.

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
I've become a snob, though. I cannot stand most MMA fans...you know the ones that boo when the fight goes to the ground.
lol. No sh!t right. I notice that too. Fvcking idiots, what the hell are you booing at. I mean the fight can be more exciting when the fighters are standing toe to toe trading blows, but this is MMA, not boxing. It's just plain ignorance on the part of the "fans."

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
lol. No sh!t right. I notice that too. Fvcking idiots, what the hell are you booing at. I mean the fight can be more exciting when the fighters are standing toe to toe trading blows, but this MMA, not boxing. It's just plain ignorance on the part of the "fans."
One of the many reasons most of us miss Pride so much. Those are some respectful and educated fans.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
OH SH*T ......Joe Daddy and Penn!!! That's gonna be a good fight. Joe daddy KO in 3rd

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No that's Wandy shaking his head at your terrible pick. And he never got dropped in that fight whereas your boy Liddell did.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No that's Wandy shaking his head at your terrible pick. And he never got dropped in that fight whereas your boy Liddell did.
Oh trust me I am not a Liddell fan by any means. I just think Joe Daddy has this one. BJ is an awsome fighter, but not my pic.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Better judgement tells me not to count anybody out lately, but with that being said Joe has nothin to match Bj in any area. 2nd Rd sub.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You know you love Liddell. :rasp:
Hey, just because I have posters, a lunch box, scratch n sniff stickers, limited edition trading cards, a lock of his hair, used autographed crotch guards, and DNA samples of his...that doesn't make me a fan.:ntome:

He did alot for the sport, I will hive him that.

fatty

fatty

Awards
  • Established
Obviously, as the cliche goes, everyone has a punchers chance, but I really don't see what Stevenson has that is going to bring him the win. Unless he just plain outworks Penn, which is possible, I don't see him winning. I highly doubt he'll submit him and I don't see him KO'ing him.
I pick Penn by anything he chooses

Prjct86Man

Awards
im pulling for joe daddy but it looks like bj has learned that the sport has evolved and he actually has to train now which is bad news for anyone he fights. joe is a tough, strong, young, hungry guy and im not counting him out of this fight.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
im pulling for joe daddy but it looks like bj has learned that the sport has evolved and he actually has to train now which is bad news for anyone he fights. joe is a tough, strong, young, hungry guy and im not counting him out of this fight.
I agree, I'm not counting Joe out, I don't think he's going to be owned circa GSP vs Hughes, and I think he has a "chance" to win, but I do think BJ is going to pull of the W.

I believe the fight time for Southern Californians starts at 12:00pm? Sounds a bit early, can anyone confirm that?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, I'm not counting Joe out, I don't think he's going to be owned circa GSP vs Hughes, and I think he has a "chance" to win, but I do think BJ is going to pull of the W.

I believe the fight time for Southern Californians starts at 12:00pm? Sounds a bit early, can anyone confirm that?
It's in England, so that sounds about right.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
One would assume Penn should win, but the longer the fight goes, the better Joe's chances. I'd pick either an early sub by BJ, but more likey he'll win rounds 1 and 2, and lose the third. Penn 29-28

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
One would assume Penn should win, but the longer the fight goes, the better Joe's chances. I'd pick either an early sub by BJ, but more likey he'll win rounds 1 and 2, and lose the third. Penn 29-28
It's a 5 rounder, Dance, since it's for the interim title as they have stripped Sherk for his positive test. That probably favors Daddy a little more, but I don't see him surviving.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The Hilo boy is gonna make Joe Daddy look like he did back in his KOTC days......

San Quinn

San Quinn

Awards
  • Established
If you thought that Penn video was sweet check this one out! Penn dont play!

Pretty weak card but I am going with
Penn by Sub and GG by KO.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
San Quinn

San Quinn

Awards
  • Established
I saw that in the video lol, he would really look like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man at 240.

I remember he fought Machida at 205 lbs but I dont think he ever fought at 240 lbs.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Joining the day crew, huh Alex? How's the ankle and wrist?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wrist is good, ankle is not. The doctor that looked at it may have been Corky from "life goes on". He says it is severely sprained and gave me a splint type thing. He says I probably won't be able to walk for 2-3 weeks, and 1.5 months for full recovery. I call BS. I'll be squatting or deadlifting within 10 days. It is a fvcking workout getting around though, especially since it just snowed here. Good thing 80 is on tomorrow night, something to look forward to.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
No. Penn looked like he's in great shape from the weigh pics. He will dominate.

Nice "Life goes on" reference. I've wanted to pull one of those out for a long time, but didn't think anyone would get it.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't bounce back to quick, Alex. The worst thing you can do is hinder your rehab and develop scar tissue and bone calluses. Those will pose some serious detriment to your flexibility and explosiveness. You lose stability, as well. PM me your address so I can ship you some Cissus.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No. Penn looked like he's in great shape from the weigh pics. He will dominate.

Nice "Life goes on" reference. I've wanted to pull one of those out for a long time, but didn't think anyone would get it.
I bet you had a crush on Becca, just something about that lil dork.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Don't bounce back to quick, Alex. The worst thing you can do is hinder your rehab and develop scar tissue and bone calluses. Those will pose some serious detriment to your flexibility and explosiveness. You lose stability, as well. PM me your address so I can ship you some Cissus.
Damn Mullet, you're a generous dude. I actually already have a few bottles of the old Cissus. How do you recommend I dose it, per label?

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know if I'm reading it wrong (I'm in Southern California), it says UFC 80 is on Spike at 7pm, countdown starts at 2pm.

I thought the PST was going to be at like 12:00pm. I'm a bit confused.

TheMouth

TheMouth

Awards
  • Established
I don't know if I'm reading it wrong (I'm in Southern California), it says UFC 80 is on Spike at 7pm, countdown starts at 2pm.

I thought the PST was going to be at like 12:00pm. I'm a bit confused.
UFC 80 is PPV... so it can't be on Spike. It is on at 3PM EST. SO like 11AM your time. It replays again at 9PM EST.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
Aleksandar37 MMA 8