Rua bros leave Chute Boxe

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Brothers Murilo Rua (Pictures) and Mauricio Rua (Pictures) announced Tuesday that they have left Chute Boxe.

The brothers said their departure from the Brazilian team was friendly. They will form their own squad in Massachusetts.

"We regret the departure of Mauricio and Murilo Rua (Pictures)," said Chute Boxe trainer Rudimar Fedrigo in an official statement. "They are fighters born here at Chute Boxe and left the team to form their own in the United States. Remember that the doors of Chute Boxe will always be open to both, and I wish good luck and success in their new job."

Under the guidance of Fedrigo and other Chute Boxe trainers, Mauricio "Shogun" Rua rose to prominence as one of the best light heavyweight fighters in MMA. He sat atop most 205-pound and pound-for-pound rankings before Forrest Griffin (Pictures) submitted the Brazilian in September. Older brother "Ninja" recently relinquished the EliteXC middleweight belt to Robbie Lawler (Pictures).

Weird, I wonder what's up with Chute Boxe these days with Wand and now the Ruas leaving?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think it is to adapt to the American MMA scene. There is a much larger emphasis on wrestling and weight cutting here than most other MMA scenes. That and the cage makes everything different.

size

Awards
  • Established
I think it is to adapt to the American MMA scene. There is a much larger emphasis on wrestling and weight cutting here than most other MMA scenes. That and the cage makes everything different.
I agree. I also think it may be about money as these guys will be able to make money having other people train at the school.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
maybe this will allow Shogun and Wand to finally go at it

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
itll be good for them i think, itll allow them to vary their training, chute boxe is hurting though with their biggest guys leaving.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
maybe this will allow Shogun and Wand to finally go at it
yup kinda like how chuck and tito went at it, it doesnt matter if its your brother or anything if you want the belt you will fight anyone, it doesnt matter, feelings aside they can be buddies after the fight for lal i care, it would be a great fight

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yup kinda like how chuck and tito went at it, it doesnt matter if its your brother or anything if you want the belt you will fight anyone, it doesnt matter, feelings aside they can be buddies after the fight for lal i care, it would be a great fight
Not even close to the same thing. They trained together, but not in the same fashion as Wand and Shogun. 2 fighters that have a long-term relationship like this don't fight each other. It would be like Arona fighting Lil Nog; they may not train together anymore, but I could never see them fighting each other.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
Not even close to the same thing. They trained together, but not in the same fashion as Wand and Shogun. 2 fighters that have a long-term relationship like this don't fight each other. It would be like Arona fighting Lil Nog; they may not train together anymore, but I could never see them fighting each other.
its not that you cant see them fighting each other is just you dont want to fight each other, yes its the same thing it didnt matter if they fricken knew each other since birth if your a fighter and your teammate has the belt and youve been a number one contender for a long time would you want the belt??? i dont know about you but i know alot of people that would say yes, and my younger brother looks up to me and we fight all the time and where family so it didnt matter if he looked up to him as a dad it doesnt matter.

kinda like the story of RICKY BOBBY if you saw the movie

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Not surprisingly, they are coming to the MMA capital of the world--Massachusetts!!!! :D

There are tons of Brazilians in the Boston area, so I'm not surprised. Gonzaga trains with Marco Alvan's Team Link. I think Filho was training there, it is where Thiago Silva trained for his fight with H. Alexander, and I think I'm forgetting someone. Ninja also has a relationship with the Boneyard, another team south of Boston.

There are tons of great guys training out of here. Before the Brazilians, we still had the Lauzon brothers, Kenny Florian, Jorge Rivera (solid, but I think he's punch drunk), and a few others. Then there is Mark Dellagrotte from Sityodtong, who has been training people like Patrick Cote.

Remember the name Josh Grispi from South Shore Sportfighting. I heard he's headed to the WEC at 145. Check this out: http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5295&zoneid=13

I'm dying to know if the Ruas will be joining one of these teams or starting their own. The local scene is going to get even better.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
motherfvckin bingo!

And Chuck/Tito is completely different than Wand/Shogun. Chuck and Tito were never close friends. Wand and Shogun are extremely close. Time apart could change that I suppose, but they're two totally different relationships, or so it is portrayed.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
motherfvckin bingo!

And Chuck/Tito is completely different than Wand/Shogun. Chuck and Tito were never close friends. Wand and Shogun are extremely close. Time apart could change that I suppose, but they're two totally different relationships, or so it is portrayed.
well all i was saying was it would be great to see . but they both SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
well all i was saying was it would be great to see . but they both SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jk
Hell yeah it would be a great fight. Even if Shogun came in shape I would have to take Wand if they were to fight. Big brother factor would be huge.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Jorge Rivera (solid, but I think he's punch drunk
He never recovered from that brutal triangle choke / armbar from Murray. Murray ruined a lot of careers, including his own. :sad:

I guess the Brazillians like the familiar climate of Mass. :think: It is becoming a hot spot though.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

I cant go with this rodja, if either one of them take competition seriously, if it came down to it they would fight. I see no reason to be in a sport at that level if you are not gonna compete with the best.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
eh.... i dunno, what reason do they have to compete against each other? i dont think they ever will, i just dont see it.

you have to remember that fighters at their level dont always want "cred", and its not always about fighting the best of the best, alot of times its about the money offered, and where it puts you in the rankings / popularity polls.

if it really came down to it, and the money was good enough, and someone threw the idea of a title shot in for the winner, id assume they would take it, but you never know.

no disrespect to them if they wouldnt, i see it as an honorable thing if they wouldnt, does that make them any less of a fighter? i dont think so, and id love to see anyone who says so, say it to their face.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
eh.... i dunno, what reason do they have to compete against each other? i dont think they ever will, i just dont see it.

you have to remember that fighters at their level dont always want "cred", and its not always about fighting the best of the best, alot of times its about the money offered, and where it puts you in the rankings / popularity polls.

if it really came down to it, and the money was good enough, and someone threw the idea of a title shot in for the winner, id assume they would take it, but you never know.

no disrespect to them if they wouldnt, i see it as an honorable thing if they wouldnt, does that make them any less of a fighter? i dont think so, and id love to see anyone who says so, say it to their face.

Thats ridiculous, it has nothing to do with so called cred. Its about competition. Explain to me how you see it as a honorable thing if they didnt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thats ridiculous, it has nothing to do with so called cred. Its about competition. Explain to me how you see it as a honorable thing if they didnt.
You have obviously never trained with someone for an extended period of time. It is honorable to put friendship above winning a title.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You have obviously never trained with someone for an extended period of time. It is honorable to put friendship above winning a title.

Im sorry I disagree, they dont even train together aymore as far as I know. I ve competed against many friends that Ive trained with before. What happens on the field stays on the field. I see no reason to train years and years in the gym to pass up an oppuritunity to be a the pinnacle of the sport an athlete trains in. If their true friends, they will remain that way after its all said and done.

You actually think if wandy became the LHW Champion, Shogun was the #1 contender he would just turn down the oppuritunity because they are friends.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Im sorry I disagree, they dont even train together aymore as far as I know. I ve competed against many friends that Ive trained with before. What happens on the field stays on the field. I see no reason to train years and years in the gym to pass up an oppuritunity to be a the pinnacle of the sport an athlete trains in. If their true friends, they will remain that way after its all said and done.

You actually think if wandy became the LHW Champion, Shogun was the #1 contender he would just turn down the oppuritunity because they are friends.
Anecdotal references of "I've done this or I've done that" doesn't make it a universally applicable principle. I understand the whole spirit of competition thing so no need to explain what competition entails. However, the spirit of competition isn't one universal idea, it's also effected by culture. American Mentality of Competition is very intense and objective, it's a very anthroprocentric view, me-me-me-me-me, whatever it takes its all about me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, that's just our culture and our view what being the best is.

In other cultures competition isn't so objective. There are things that come above that spirit of competition, like respect of relationship, ESPECIALLY, I mean ESPECIALLY for a mentor figure. Some might think that makes you less of a competitor because its less hadcore, some might think it makes you a better one because your selfless and more honorable. Theres no universal right answer, its whats right within the values of your culture. I know the Japanese hold honor above "hardcoreness."

Fighting a good friend or training partner is one thing, but I know there are a lot of cultures who wouldn't cross that line against a mentor figure.

News flash, the whole world doesn't think like us

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anecdotal references of "I've done this or I've done that" doesn't make it a universally applicable principle. I understand the whole spirit of competition thing so no need to explain what competition entails. However, the spirit of competition isn't one universal idea, it's also effected by culture. American Mentality of Competition is very intense and objective, it's a very anthroprocentric view, me-me-me-me-me, whatever it takes its all about me. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, that's just our culture and our view what being the best is.

In other cultures competition isn't so objective. There are things that come above that spirit of competition, like respect of relationship, ESPECIALLY, I mean ESPECIALLY for a mentor figure. Some might think that makes you less of a competitor because its less hadcore, some might think it makes you a better one because your selfless and more honorable. Theres no universal right answer, its whats right within the values of your culture. I know the Japanese hold honor above "hardcoreness."

Fighting a good friend or training partner is one thing, but I know there are a lot of cultures who wouldn't cross that line against a mentor figure.

Very, very true. Hell, Filho, a rival of Chute Boxe and Wand, wouldn't help Chuck because he refused to help an American against a Brazilian. That speaks volumes about the differences between our culture and theirs.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

well I was partially answering rodja post.

But to go on with what you say these guy compete at the highest , but if thats not enough fine. bottom line is The decision really wouldnt be up to either guy. They both wouldnt are in the same weight class in the same company I doubt they would be their if they didnt know that they were gonna cross paths eventually, but that an big if. I apologize, but I simply disagree that their is some deep cultural honor in it. News Flash not every thing is about honor.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well I was partially answering rodja post.

But to go on with what you say these guy compete at the highest , but if thats not enough fine. bottom line is The decision really wouldnt be up to either guy. They both wouldnt are in the same weight class in the same company I doubt they would be their if they didnt know that they were gonna cross paths eventually, but that an big if. I apologize, but I simply disagree that their is some deep cultural honor in it. News Flash not every thing is about honor.

haha, I didn't say EVERYTHING was about honor. I said it was a subjective factor to particular cultures. Particular meaning "some" I never said anything about ALL or EVERYONE. I made ONE reference about the Japanese culture respecting honor.

News flash, read arguments more clearly before attempting patronizing responses. The all encompassing idea of everything anything was the complete opposite of what my point was.

I was never saying your idea of competition was wrong or inferior, or off, my point was not everybody, especially cross cultures shares your, our same dog eat dog point of view in the realm of competition. I said, SOME, SOME cultures are subjective to honor of relationship, particularly toward mentors and I made ONE reference to Japanese culture. Nowhere close to saying "everything is about honor."

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
haha, I didn't say EVERYTHING was about honor. I said it was a subjective factor to particular cultures. Particular meaning "some" I never said anything about ALL or EVERYONE. I made ONE reference about the Japanese culture respecting honor.

News flash, read arguments more clearly before attempting patronizing responses. The all encompassing idea of everything anything was the complete opposite of what my point was.

I was never saying your idea of competition was wrong or inferior, or off, my point was not everybody, especially cross cultures shares your, our same dog eat dog point of view in the realm of competition. I said, SOME, SOME cultures are subjective to honor of relationship, particularly toward mentors and I made ONE reference to Japanese culture. Nowhere close to saying "everything is about honor."

I believe you would be just as guilty.