RIP Sammy Vasquez

  1. RIP Sammy Vasquez


    Today, MMA suffered its first defeat-the death of a fighter from injuries suffered during combat. Sammy suffered a stroke stemming from a blood-clot that may have stemmed from his KO loss in Houston on October 20th. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, child, and the rest of his family.

    This is a great loss to the sport and I am afraid of the scrutiny that may occur as a result of this event. Although it is enjoying unprecedented growth and popularity, MMA is still struggling for legitimacy as a sport amongst most people. I just pray that this does not send MMA back into the dark ages of the late 90's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys



  2. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Today, MMA suffered its first defeat-the death of a fighter from injuries suffered during combat. Sammy suffered a stroke stemming from a blood-clot that may have stemmed from his KO loss in Houston on October 20th. My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, child, and the rest of his family.

    This is a great loss to the sport and I am afraid of the scrutiny that may occur as a result of this event. Although it is enjoying unprecedented growth and popularity, MMA is still struggling for legitimacy as a sport amongst most people. I just pray that this does not send MMA back into the dark ages of the late 90's.
    Damn, thats horrible. Last I had read he was doing better and was almost surely going to live. May he RIP.

  3. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Damn, thats horrible. Last I had read he was doing better and was almost surely going to live. May he RIP.
    Sherdog's reporting is horrible. A Hospice is where you they take people that are either terminally ill or unable to recover. It is a really sad thing that this has happened, especially since it was in Texas.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

    •   
       


  4. Thats horrible my prayers go to his family and friends. I too, Rodja am wondering how this will affect MMA with america.

  5. Rodja, do you know how the fight went? Was he knocked out standing, if so, they don't have much of a case besides the different gloves. Or was it a GnP KO/TKO ref stoppage? Sorry if my descriptions seem cold, but I just don't know the facts behind the fight. May he RIP, and I just wish his family well.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    Thats horrible my prayers go to his family and friends. I too, Rodja am wondering how this will affect MMA with america.
    The TSAC has said that they do not have immediate plans to make any changes, but you never know. Us TX fighters are a pretty tight bunch and this is something that we were afraid was inevitable. It is horrible, without a doubt, but Sammy, unfortunately, lost his most important fight.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  7. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Rodja, do you know how the fight went? Was he knocked out standing, if so, they don't have much of a case besides the different gloves. Or was it a GnP KO/TKO ref stoppage? Sorry if my descriptions seem cold, but I just don't know the facts behind the fight. May he RIP, and I just wish his family well.
    I don't really know much except that he took some hard shots, got back up, and collapsed soon thereafter.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  8. Wow, I'm speechless. I was following the thread at the UG, and was glad when I saw that Sherdog reported improvements. They reported hospice as a release?????????

    Best wishes to his family.

  9. RIP

    Prayers for his family on the way.
    Recent log:http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/213350-lean-efx-refined.html

  10. thats some crazy **** man, makes you relize if its almost worth doing the sport. but in the end it sure is
    RIP

  11. first, it is terribel forthe family and friends. thoughts to them

    I am curious what this will do for MMA, but hopefully, like boxing little will change
    Official Get Diesel Representative
    PM me with any questions

  12. My deepest condolences to his family, friends, and well wishers. May his soul rest in peace. If they stifle the sport, that would be a double damage. I hope the sport stays intact, at least in his honour.
    Product Educator | USPowders
    Statements made by this online persona are the sole property of the owner, and do not necessarily reflect USPowders’ opinion as a whole.

  13. thats what can happens when you choose fighting as a career you have to assume those risks. as bad as it may sound

  14. Quote Originally Posted by boxmeman View Post
    thats what can happens when you choose fighting as a career you have to assume those risks. as bad as it may sound
    Thanks for being an ass in this situation. Yes, this is an inherent risk with fighting, but that does not make it less significant. I especially find it disrespectful coming from someone that is involved in combat sports.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  15. hey to be honest it sucks but i will be honest that you have to assume the risks didnt mean to come off as an A$$ hole

  16. Too bad man. I wish his family the best. I thought he was fine from the Sherdog headline.

  17. he was my friend and training partner

    RIP brother!

  18. Just so everyone knows, Sammy was complaining from head and neck pains before his fight. Doctors think he had pre existing problems.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Get Ripped By....Eating Fat
    By YellowJacket in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-03-2003, 03:13 PM
  2. Ripped in 21 Days
    By YellowJacket in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-15-2003, 06:53 PM
  3. Chitosan: One BIG Rip-Off
    By Sheesh in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2003, 12:02 PM
  4. calf is ripped
    By ironviking in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-16-2003, 11:33 PM
  5. ripped fuel Exp. date
    By Clintdogg in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-15-2002, 06:42 PM
Log in
Log in