WEC 31 Looks Good!!!!!!!!!!!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Dec. 12th

* Champ Urijah Faber vs. Jeff Curran (for featherweight title)
* Champ Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
* Champ Doug Marshall vs. Ariel Gandulla (for light heavyweight title)
* Jens Pulver vs. Cub Swanson
* John Alessio vs. Todd Moore
* Alex Karalexis vs. Ed Ratcliff
* Chance Farrar vs. Micah Miller
* Brian Bowles vs. Marcos Galvao
* Dominick Cruz vs. Charlie Valencia
* Bryan Baker vs. Eric Schambari

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Beo, are you finished with your semi-hiatus or what? ;)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That card is looking solid. I think Alex started a thread about this a while ago, but don't worry, I ignore Alex too.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
Champ Urijah Faber vs. Jeff Curran (for featherweight title)
* Champ Paulo Filho vs. Chael Sonnen (for middleweight title)
* Champ Doug Marshall vs. Ariel Gandulla (for light heavyweight title)
* Jens Pulver vs. Cub Swanson
* John Alessio vs. Todd Moore
* Alex Karalexis vs. Ed Ratcliff
* Chance Farrar vs. Micah Miller
* Brian Bowles vs. Marcos Galvao
* Dominick Cruz vs. Charlie Valencia
* Bryan Baker vs. Eric Schambari

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Man, I try to help you guys out with some info, and all I get is grief and shame :(

In my defense for the Muscletech crap, a reliable source, it might have been BigPeteFox, told me it actually works. My arms are pathetic, and they hold back all my other lifts, so I'm a bit desperate in that dept.

As for the semi-hiatus, it is kind of like a semi...it could become more engorged, or just kinda go back down! I love the avatar, Ubi! That's one of the best I've seen.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Beo, couldn't help but heckle ya.

This thing is tonight and I don't have VS. :frustrate I guess I'll find it somewhere ;). I'm curious what people think about the Curran-Faber fight. I don't know enough about the 145ers to gauge this one.

I'll take

Filho
Gandulla
Pulver

in the other big ones.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Curran seems pretty impressive, but I think Faber takes it...perhaps brutally.

Filho should massacre Sonnen.

We'll see if Pulver still has it. Might be close.

I don't know enough about either of the LHW's. Marshall is a brawler. Gandulla is a judo blackbelt who apparently likes to brawl. Should be interesting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Curran seems pretty impressive, but I think Faber takes it...perhaps brutally.

Filho should massacre Sonnen.

We'll see if Pulver still has it. Might be close.

I don't know enough about either of the LHW's. Marshall is a brawler. Gandulla is a judo blackbelt who apparently likes to brawl. Should be interesting.
I read that Marshall is terrible on the ground from the Sherdog write up on the fights so I'd guess that he'll get pounded out there or subbed. We'll see.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
That is a great card. I hope Jens puts Cub's mouth in the second row.

I also hope Filho schools Sonnen.

I'm pulling for Curran, but Faber is pretty damn good.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
A'sonova*****...I just realized this was on...:run:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This was a pretty good event.

I loved how Charlie Valencia owned that other tool (his opponent) It was ridiculous how he suplexed that fvck like a rag doll lol. i was like wow...lol.

marshal had a good showing too, showing some sub skills....nice.

Faber shows he is the best at his weight. I think he'll take Jenz out too. That will be the biggest fight ever imo for that weight class.

Jenz owned Cub. nice to see he still has it going. For a second i was thinking he was a washed up has been. Schooled the youngn tho.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
So Filho looked bad again? Was he really out or nearly out in the first?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was kind of busy during that fight but he was getting worked pretty good. At the end of the round he was kinda beat looking, slowly walking to his corner, maybe seeing some stars...I didnt really watch the rest of it.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sonnen was beating Filho badly.
Filho got ahold of one of Sonnens arm and was going to break it off. People are *****ing about a bad stoppage but there is no doubt in my mind that arm was going to break as soon as Filho rolled over on it.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sonnen's arm would have snapped likea twig, good stoppage. Faber is a beast @ 145, he will destroy Pulver

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Pulver really surprised me with how quickly he subbed Swanson. 145 is a great weight for him and I am really looking forward to him vs Faber.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I finally saw the Filho-Sonnen and Cub-Jens fights. The play-by-play made it sound like Filho was possibly out or close to it after the slam, but that wasn't the case. He was definitely getting owned pretty hard until the sub. He doesn't seem to be the same fighter in the WEC (where they test). Henderson would destroy him based on last night and how tough he hung against Arona (a bigger version of Filho - although Filho has better subs and Arona has better leg kicks).

I'm excited to see Jens take on Faber. I'll be pulling for Pulver.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I finally saw the Filho-Sonnen and Cub-Jens fights. The play-by-play made it sound like Filho was possibly out or close to it after the slam, but that wasn't the case. He was definitely getting owned pretty hard until the sub. He doesn't seem to be the same fighter in the WEC (where they test). Henderson would destroy him based on last night and how tough he hung against Arona (a bigger version of Filho - although Filho has better subs and Arona has better leg kicks).

I'm excited to see Jens take on Faber. I'll be pulling for Pulver.
Filho just seemed out of it. He was still huge, but appeared disinterested.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Filho just seemed out of it. He was still huge, but appeared disinterested.
Very true, he looked so out of the whole fight.

I was very impressed with both Curran and Faber. Faber in my eyes just proved himself even more with that win. I thought Curran had him though.

With that said Mir and that other guy needs to ease up of his nuts a bit. Curran was holding one of Fabers legs and Faber threw a knee with the other one and u would have thought that was the best most creative move ever to hit MMA.

Pulver/Faber should be very nice.

That belly to back suplex was sick!! I totally wasn't expecting anything of the sorts and then bam!

Lift Gate Gus

Lift Gate Gus

Awards
Those of you that dont know Sonen he is a bad a** wrestler and fighter. He has beaten top notch guys like Mayham Miller and Babalu at 205lbs. Lost the last match to Babalu in the UFC. The guy is local here in Oregon but trains with the likes of Matt Lindlend, Dan Henderson and OH yea Randy Coture and all the other guys at Team Quest. Lots of good fighters have come out of that club. Not to suck his d!ck but he did get beat and yes his arm would have broke for sure.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Sonnen did impress me. He was taking Filho out of his game, but as was said over and over again, all Filho needed was that arm for a moment. I was very impressed with how much class Sonnen showed in defeat.

That was a great card. The couple fights from the last TUF finale and this WEC triple belter was a good fix for sure.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those of you that dont know Sonen he is a bad a** wrestler and fighter. He has beaten top notch guys like Mayham Miller and Babalu at 205lbs. Lost the last match to Babalu in the UFC. The guy is local here in Oregon but trains with the likes of Matt Lindlend, Dan Henderson and OH yea Randy Coture and all the other guys at Team Quest. Lots of good fighters have come out of that club. Not to suck his d!ck but he did get beat and yes his arm would have broke for sure.
That's what makes his mistake even worse. He is not a rookie and should know that Filho's BJJ is incredible. I am positive that Hendo and Woogie were telling him to keep it on the feet.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
is it me or are ALL guys out of Brazil on the sauce? lol.

I love that suplex! does anyone have one of those moving gif files or whatever they are of it? I will give you all my rep plus a bj if you post that suplex in motion....it was shocking and funny at the same time.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
If Brazil is anything like most of Latin America then it is probably really easy to get steroids. I wouldn't be surprised if tons of them do use.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
except for the fact that you get popped for long lasting metabolites in the US federations.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It just seems to me that a lot of these Brazillian fighters don't have the same fire/rage and explosiveness that they used to in pride. It may be too early to say. Physique-wise, Filho has looked a tad smaller and softer (although not much), but performance-wise Sonnen is a tough fight for him as a decent striker that can negate his takedowns.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
is it me or are ALL guys out of Brazil on the sauce? lol.

I love that suplex! does anyone have one of those moving gif files or whatever they are of it? I will give you all my rep plus a bj if you post that suplex in motion....it was shocking and funny at the same time.
It is very accepted in Brazilian culture plus, like it was already said, they are widely available. Interestingly, the Gracie and their affiliates look down on AAS usage.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
\
Looked like sh*t. I was close to putting money on that, good thing I didn't. If Filho fought like that against Anderson he would get pin point laser guided blasted out in about 30 secs. Obviously completely different styles, and Filho would have a different GP, but still.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
It is very accepted in Brazilian culture plus, like it was already said, they are widely available. Interestingly, the Gracie and their affiliates look down on anabolic steroids usage.
Perhaps because the Gracie system was founded on the smaller, more technical practitioner overcoming a powerful opponent.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Perhaps because the Gracie system was founded on the smaller, more technical practitioner overcoming a powerful opponent.
Kind of like what happens when Jas and Alexander have sex.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have straight up "American Me" style pounded Jasito on numerous occasions. Rainbow colors, his arse was.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 8
VolcomX311 MMA 46
Jessep76 MMA 50
MMA 1
Jessep76 MMA 3