Anderson Silva's Next Opponent Announced

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At the 78 Post Conference, Dana White announced it will be none other than Dan Henderson fighting for teh MW championship. I think we will see the end of Spider's reign

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Damn, this could be a great fight. However, there is the potential for LNP. I wouldn't want to risk standing with A. Silva, and he's squirmy as hell, so Hendo might just try to hold him down in what could amount to a MW version of Edgar vs. Fisher.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am torn on this fight, but I really think that if Hendo comes in ready, then he will take it. What event will this be at?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Great news, this fight has huge potential. I hope Anderson KO's Dan.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This fight has a huge upside, but an equally great downside to be a LNP showcase.

On a side note, what is Filho's contractual situation with the WEC?

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen hendo lay'n pray on anybody. It will be an exciting fight.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If Hendo begins to trade with Anderson and enough accurate shots begin to fall he'll take it to the ground. I don't think there is much disputing that. Hendo can brawl, for sure, but I don't think he's unwise. If he begins losing trades, he'll take it down and keep it there. IMO.

Hence the potential for a LNP decision.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice. I don't think Dan will let the fight stay on the outside much. He'll work the clinch/dirty boxing game or the ground. Tough fight to call.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It will be March 1 UFC 82 I believe. Also at the Arnold.

If I was a betting man, I say Hendo by UD. I dont think Dan has ever been stopped with that granite chin.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It will be March 1 UFC 82 I believe. Also at the Arnold.

If I was a betting man, I say Hendo by UD. I dont think Dan has ever been stopped with that granite chin.
He has been subbed by both of the Nog's, but never (T)KO'd. Anderson's BJJ could be very important in this fight, especially since he trains with the Nog's so frequently.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, I dont see him getting (t)ko'd. I could see this going all 5 rounds with Hendo taking him down at will and winning a dec. or getting subbed late due to gassing a bit. However, I dont see anyone else at 185 who can beat Silva, maybe Lindland but thats it

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I've never seen hendo lay'n pray on anybody. It will be an exciting fight.
I only worry about LNP b/c Silva is so dangerous standing that Hendo won't want to stay there, and Silva is so active from his back, that it'll be tough for Dan to mount much offense w/o getting swept or caught in a sub...not to mention Anderson strikes pretty well from his back, too.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh man...I feel like a little kid in a candy store reading this! :lol:

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
this rocks. Silva all the way.
I say sub 3rd round through a minor slip/mistake in Hendo actions that Silva quickly advances on.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only worry about LNP b/c Silva is so dangerous standing that Hendo won't want to stay there, and Silva is so active from his back, that it'll be tough for Dan to mount much offense w/o getting swept or caught in a sub...not to mention Anderson strikes pretty well from his back, too.
This is what I was thinking. Hendo might fear going on the offensive too much as Anderson is a great counter-puncher as well. Should be an amazing fight though.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is what I was thinking. Hendo might fear going on the offensive too much as Anderson is a great counter-puncher as well. Should be an amazing fight though.

Judging by his recent fights with Wand and Rampage, he wont be afraid to get in there and swing for the fences. Both bigger guys with proven KO power, esp Wand.

Its tough to guess how this fight will end up, but either way I havent looked forward to a fight this much for a long time. I hope Hendo takes it.

john123131

john123131

Awards
  • Established
sick matchup....very excited for this...

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Judging by his recent fights with Wand and Rampage, he wont be afraid to get in there and swing for the fences. Both bigger guys with proven KO power, esp Wand.

Its tough to guess how this fight will end up, but either way I havent looked forward to a fight this much for a long time. I hope Hendo takes it.
Yeah if you watch is fight with Page, he really protects his chin well, sometimes keeping a forearm across in front of it during flurries. I think he'll trade with Anderson some but not too much.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

That's true. Wand and 'Page are both more powerful than Anderson, but I would counter not as accurate. I.e., if he starts to open up and Silva really begins connecting, he'll definitely take him down to try and pound out a decision.

Dan is definitely not afraid to trade though.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
This is a great matchup. It is going to end up on the ground for sure but Dan is not going to LnP... It might look like that because Silva is good at defending from his back but it'll be a war for sure.

Lindland is the only person I'd say is a lock versus Silva, his skill set is more well rounded than Hendo's and he's a more technical fighter overall.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
This is a great matchup. It is going to end up on the ground for sure but Dan is not going to LnP... It might look like that because Silva is good at defending from his back but it'll be a war for sure.

Lindland is the only person I'd say is a lock versus Silva, his skill set is more well rounded than Hendo's and he's a more technical fighter overall.
He's much more suseptable to the KO than Hendo is though, plus Dan's skill set has improved tremendously over the past little bit.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established

Ex, are you going to debut soon?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Ex, are you going to debut soon?
I need to find a camp to train at. I've considered hitting up legends but they're too expensive... My Jujitsu instructor keeps offering to help/corner me but last tournament I was in, he was yelling useless **** like "good job, stay relaxed, etc" (i.e. the sort of sh1t I already know) so I ended up listening to the other side's corner and countering the advice he was giving.

If anyone knows a more reasonably priced establishment in the west LA area that will prepare and corner fighters I'd like to hear about it.

I'm in pretty good shape though, I could probably cut for 205 and be fight ready in ~4-5 weeks.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
He's much more suseptable to the KO than Hendo is though, plus Dan's skill set has improved tremendously over the past little bit.
Dan's hands look MUCH better, tis true. Still not good enough though, in my opinion. This fight will be won with a grind out GnP decision or by a lindland/couture style dirty boxing (t)KO, which isn't really Dan's forte.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree about Lindland, however as was said before I could see Silva ko him quickly. I think Hendo has the best shot b/c of the chin.

How about a recent interview with Frankie Shamrock thinking he could beat Silva. I love good ole frank

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I was hoping Hollywood would go down to 185lb. This will be a great fight i'm sure with those 2 being excellent fighters. I see Dan taking it any way he wants. Not easily though.

Nice. I don't think Dan will let the fight stay on the outside much. He'll work the clinch/dirty boxing game or the ground. Tough fight to call.
He will apply the vice grip muai tai clinch and it's all she wrote. No one can stand with silva.

The best chance is on the floor, and Silva is a bjj black belt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He will apply the vice grip muai tai clinch and it's all she wrote. No one can stand with silva.

The best chance is on the floor, and Silva is a bjj black belt.
Alas, the title of BJJ black belt does not carry the same weight as it once did. For example, Keith Jardine is a BJJ black belt. I don't think Anderson's BJJ is on the same level as the Nog's, who are the only fighters to ever finish Hendo, even though Anderson received his black belt from the Nog's.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I hear you Rodja, all blackbelts were not created equal, but I think Anderson is damn good on the ground, and has improved a lot over the last few years. When he was with Chute Boxe, they were much more of a striking school. CB BJJ seems to have come along, too. It was originally a Muay Thai school. His training with the Nog's has paid dividends. Even before the elbows, Lutter had no chance to escape that triangle. And moves such as the armbar bait he gave Lutter when mounted as an opportunity to escape was either sheer stupidity or an utmost confidence in his abilities. We've also seen some beautiful sweeps from Anderson.

BTW, when Jas referenced the clinch, I think he was referring to Greco, not the MT plumb. This could be interesting, b/c if Hendo tries to work dirty boxing from the clinch, one mistake could give Silva the clinch, after which Hendo will be introduced to Franklin's plastic surgeon.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I hear you Rodja, all blackbelts were not created equal, but I think Anderson is damn good on the ground, and has improved a lot over the last few years. When he was with Chute Boxe, they were much more of a striking school. CB BJJ seems to have come along, too. It was originally a Muay Thai school. His training with the Nog's has paid dividends. Even before the elbows, Lutter had no chance to escape that triangle. And moves such as the armbar bait he gave Lutter when mounted as an opportunity to escape was either sheer stupidity or an utmost confidence in his abilities. We've also seen some beautiful sweeps from Anderson.

BTW, when Jas referenced the clinch, I think he was referring to Greco, not the MT plumb. This could be interesting, b/c if Hendo tries to work dirty boxing from the clinch, one mistake could give Silva the clinch, after which Hendo will be introduced to Franklin's plastic surgeon.
Yes I was referring to the Greco. Dan better look to keep and underhook and keep him on the fence. He might be able to do some decent work there, but it's risky as hell.

Silva may not be a great pure bjj guy, but I think he combines his strikes and upkicks to make for a deadly ground game.

And don't even think we're gonna let you or Rodja win another contest.:twisted:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I was referring to the Greco. Dan better look to keep and underhook and keep him on the fence. He might be able to do some decent work there, but it's risky as hell.

Silva may not be a great pure bjj guy, but I think he combines his strikes and upkicks to make for a deadly ground game.

And don't even think we're gonna let you or Rodja win another contest.:twisted:
I seriously should stat putting money on some of these cards. I would have made a killing from the past few events.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Unrelated: Henderson comes to my home town as a paid guest at a fight card with jose pele landi, landi get KTFO and henderson goes to one of the sponsors bars..... Couldnt compete with my punch stats on the punching machine.... haha dan would obv hack me like a broken twig but i hit harder that night. SWG - 1 Dan - 0..... Silva KO.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Don't underestimate Anderson's bjj game. He's quite flexible and he could be close to the level of the Nog brothers under which he trains. I'm not sure a decision is likely but even if it is we won't see a Hendo win via LnP. Plus Dan's conditioning is hit or miss so Silva may capitalize on a 5 round fight. The refs also have a tendency to stand up Silva fights so he can KO people. It will be interesting to see who can assert themselves in the clinch and the stand-up in general.

Both guys are ambassadors for the sport and whoever wins will continue to represent the title with dignity. I have to pull for Hendo though as I think he needs and deserves some stateside recognition. Plus if he loses it makes it easier for the UFC to dismiss him. If Anderson loses it's a setback but he'll be right back in title contention.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Don't underestimate The refs also have a tendency to stand up Silva fights so he can KO people.
I think it is also b/c he does a great job tying people up, buy yeah, the ref wants to see a great finish as much as the fans.