Anderson Silva's Next Opponent Announced

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Quote Originally Posted by USPLabs View Post
    He will apply the vice grip muai tai clinch and it's all she wrote. No one can stand with silva.

The best chance is on the floor, and Silva is a bjj black belt.
    Alas, the title of BJJ black belt does not carry the same weight as it once did. For example, Keith Jardine is a BJJ black belt. I don't think Anderson's BJJ is on the same level as the Nog's, who are the only fighters to ever finish Hendo, even though Anderson received his black belt from the Nog's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. I hear you Rodja, all blackbelts were not created equal, but I think Anderson is damn good on the ground, and has improved a lot over the last few years. When he was with Chute Boxe, they were much more of a striking school. CB BJJ seems to have come along, too. It was originally a Muay Thai school. His training with the Nog's has paid dividends. Even before the elbows, Lutter had no chance to escape that triangle. And moves such as the armbar bait he gave Lutter when mounted as an opportunity to escape was either sheer stupidity or an utmost confidence in his abilities. We've also seen some beautiful sweeps from Anderson.

BTW, when Jas referenced the clinch, I think he was referring to Greco, not the MT plumb. This could be interesting, b/c if Hendo tries to work dirty boxing from the clinch, one mistake could give Silva the clinch, after which Hendo will be introduced to Franklin's plastic surgeon.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I hear you Rodja, all blackbelts were not created equal, but I think Anderson is damn good on the ground, and has improved a lot over the last few years. When he was with Chute Boxe, they were much more of a striking school. CB BJJ seems to have come along, too. It was originally a Muay Thai school. His training with the Nog's has paid dividends. Even before the elbows, Lutter had no chance to escape that triangle. And moves such as the armbar bait he gave Lutter when mounted as an opportunity to escape was either sheer stupidity or an utmost confidence in his abilities. We've also seen some beautiful sweeps from Anderson.

BTW, when Jas referenced the clinch, I think he was referring to Greco, not the MT plumb. This could be interesting, b/c if Hendo tries to work dirty boxing from the clinch, one mistake could give Silva the clinch, after which Hendo will be introduced to Franklin's plastic surgeon.
    Yes I was referring to the Greco. Dan better look to keep and underhook and keep him on the fence. He might be able to do some decent work there, but it's risky as hell.

Silva may not be a great pure bjj guy, but I think he combines his strikes and upkicks to make for a deadly ground game.

And don't even think we're gonna let you or Rodja win another contest.

4. Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Yes I was referring to the Greco. Dan better look to keep and underhook and keep him on the fence. He might be able to do some decent work there, but it's risky as hell.

Silva may not be a great pure bjj guy, but I think he combines his strikes and upkicks to make for a deadly ground game.

And don't even think we're gonna let you or Rodja win another contest.
    I seriously should stat putting money on some of these cards. I would have made a killing from the past few events.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

5. Unrelated: Henderson comes to my home town as a paid guest at a fight card with jose pele landi, landi get KTFO and henderson goes to one of the sponsors bars..... Couldnt compete with my punch stats on the punching machine.... haha dan would obv hack me like a broken twig but i hit harder that night. SWG - 1 Dan - 0..... Silva KO.
    •   

6. Don't underestimate Anderson's bjj game. He's quite flexible and he could be close to the level of the Nog brothers under which he trains. I'm not sure a decision is likely but even if it is we won't see a Hendo win via LnP. Plus Dan's conditioning is hit or miss so Silva may capitalize on a 5 round fight. The refs also have a tendency to stand up Silva fights so he can KO people. It will be interesting to see who can assert themselves in the clinch and the stand-up in general.

Both guys are ambassadors for the sport and whoever wins will continue to represent the title with dignity. I have to pull for Hendo though as I think he needs and deserves some stateside recognition. Plus if he loses it makes it easier for the UFC to dismiss him. If Anderson loses it's a setback but he'll be right back in title contention.

7. Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    Don't underestimate The refs also have a tendency to stand up Silva fights so he can KO people.
    I think it is also b/c he does a great job tying people up, buy yeah, the ref wants to see a great finish as much as the fans.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-02-2009, 05:33 AM
  2. Anderson Silva vs Roy Jones Jr.
    By The_Reverend in forum MMA
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 04-05-2008, 06:35 PM
  3. Who can beat Anderson Silva?
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 12:36 AM