whats is the best MMA

keater824

keater824

Awards
Hi im am 16 year old male who looking to pursuit in MMA classes but their so many out their... I pretty good boxing wise, but grappling and kicking are my weakness i was thinking jiu jitsu but was wondering if their were any other MMA best for self defense

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I would pick japanese jujitsu over brazillian for self defense. I'm biased though, but the difference in styles is that brazillian is all ground work, where the japanese has elements of judo, karate, and ground fighting.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
muay thai, bjj, judo, wrestling and boxing...learn all those and youll have one nice package in the ring.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will go with the rest:
2. wresting
2. MT
3. JJ
4. TKD or another striking style like Boxing

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Russian sombo/sombo, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrasslin'

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I would pick japanese jujitsu over brazillian for self defense. I'm biased though, but the difference in styles is that brazillian is all ground work, where the japanese has elements of judo, karate, and ground fighting.
I'm of the opposite opinion. I'm taking Japanese JJ right now and wishing it were Brazillian JJ. It's just more to the point. My school also has submission grappling and kick boxing though, so I don't mind too much.

TS: If your school has a wrestling team, join it. It's probobly the most important element in a diverse game, and the easiest to train hard. Combine it with BJJ, and your boxing and your in good shape. As you get more serious, you'll want to take up Muay Thai aswell.

There are lots of schools now that do BJJ, grappling and muay thai together. See if there is one in your area.

DB2000

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
My general advice to an aspiring fighter would to first focus on fitness and get your diet dialed in, many athletes sabotage themselves in the kitchen and to focus on your naturally weak area(s), a naturally adept hitter should work hard on groundwork and vice versa.

And learn how take hits and work through fatigue and pain, most everyone can dish it out, not everyone learns how to take punishment and maintain a steady mind and strong spirit under duress.

vika808

vika808

Awards
  • Established
agree to everything, what i would do is dial in you diet and endurance i mean be in shape be4 you try to train i mean like stretch every day for JJ, run to have stamina, work on your legs for takedowns and some strong ass kicks, thoose are the frist things i would worrie about frist , i trained for a good 8 months be4 i thought about going to a school i wanted to be in great shape so i could train easliy for 3 hours and not gass out, so think about it

also try some Vale Tudo its pretty awesome also like chute boxing and sambo is pretty wicked i took of a couple of seminars and it was worth it

this is what i train, Muay Thai, Vale Tudo, Grappling, wrestling and my gym as some called submission fighting which is pretty much MMA

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
The last thing when looking for a gym is to just try out a bunch of free classes, most schools will let you try out a free class. Try to pick the school that you feel has the best kind of atmosphere. Alot of different places have different attitudes. Some places won't even let you do any kind of sparring until you've been going for 6 months. Some places also will want you to sign a year contract. Try to avoid those places unless it's absolutely necessary.
Having fun and learning is probably the most important thing to keep you interested in martial arts.
Martial arts are for people of any fitness level, and any skill level. It's for everybody.