Lesnar's first opponent announced

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Check UFC.com and you will see his first opponent has been named as former UFC HW champ Frank Mir.

This could be brutal for Brock if Mir comes in, in shape

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I think they (the UFC) is spoon-feeding Lesnar a tomato can to prime him for big things in the future (The American Fedor?). What are the odds that Mir will come in, in shape? Even if he does, I never really thought that much of him or his abilities...not that he couldn't kick my @ss, though. I'm just sayin'.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Lesnar will need to be completely prepared, or else he will get subbed

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If brock can stay out of very dangerous positions, his brute strength should allow him to escape submissions.

It seems the UFC wants to build up his ground game by matching him up with a BJJ guy for his first fight. You know Brock is going to be training submission defense like crazy.
Serisously it will be tough to choke him out with that giant neck.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, but it is a surprisingly difficult matchup for someone as new. That said, I think Brock wins by brutal GnP

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
Mir by 1st round sub.

Way too much experience.

Hope Brock taps and avoids injury - he has massive potential if brought along correctly.

Lightning

Awards
I agree, but it is a surprisingly difficult matchup for someone as new.

Without a doubt. This is a very tough match for him. Mir is no slouch. I would not be suprised at all if Mir submits him quickly.

Lift Gate Gus

Lift Gate Gus

Awards
Mir has been doing nothing but WEC shows. He has not been the same since his motorcycle crash. He was on top of the world then and since has been trying to find his way back to the top.
Brock is a gifted athlete that is for sure. It will be exciting to watch a former WWE super star get in a real fight. I have seen the fight he had against some asian guy that he walked through.
Tuff call I would not want to go to the ground with either. Brock is balanced as all hell but Mir has the know how to submit.
On the feet have to give it to Mir.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mir has been doing nothing but WEC shows. He has not been the same since his motorcycle crash. He was on top of the world then and since has been trying to find his way back to the top.
Brock is a gifted athlete that is for sure. It will be exciting to watch a former WWE super star get in a real fight. I have seen the fight he had against some asian guy that he walked through.
Tuff call I would not want to go to the ground with either. Brock is balanced as all hell but Mir has the know how to submit.
On the feet have to give it to Mir.
Are saying that you would take Frank Mir in a stand-up fight? Have you ever seen Mir's stand-up?? Granted, there is not telling where Lesnar is at, but it is ludicrous to say that Mir should keep it on the feet.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I think the only thing Mir could do is get in a clinch and try to pull guard. I'm looking forward to it!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Could be, warrior, but I doubt he'd pull Brock down with him. He'd probably get slammed to the mat instead. That being said, I think you've offered Mir's best shot at getting something going.

Dancebot 2000

Dancebot 2000

Awards
  • Established
I'm picking Brock, even though he hasn't really fought anyone, just on his physical gifts and wrestling. Mir is kind of surprising though, as a submission fighter is the worst potential match up for him. It's a bit of risk for the UFC, but if he wins, he's beaten a former HW champ, and we all know Mir is not the same fighter who broke Timmy.

If Brock does win, I predict his next match will be against Kongo (if Chiek loses his next one, which I'm also predicting). Brock is a BAD matchup for Chiek, and it will give him an almost guaranteed win over a guy who beat CC.

DB2000

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I don't think the UFC would bring in Brock to lose in his first match. I personally think he will man handle Mir. But then again my win % is not that good. I picked Franklin, Cro cop and Diego to win.

FrankJ

Awards
  • Established
Somebody please bump this thread when the fight is over. I think a lot of you Brock pickers are going to have egg on your face. The dude has only 1 fight, against a tomato can.

I think his potential is enormous, but look at all those other sport athletes Pride brought into tournaments - they all got crushed in every fight. Brock needs at least 4-5 fights to stand a realistic chance against a former UFC champion.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Somebody please bump this thread when the fight is over. I think a lot of you Brock pickers are going to have egg on your face. The dude has only 1 fight, against a tomato can.

I think his potential is enormous, but look at all those other sport athletes Pride brought into tournaments - they all got crushed in every fight. Brock needs at least 4-5 fights to stand a realistic chance against a former UFC champion.
I'd be inclined to say Franklin, or Sylvia, or Hughes, or GSP are former champions. The Frank Mir now is a far cry from the Frank Mir who was champion. Brock's first Asian opponent was simply a no-name brand tomato can, whereas Mir is a shy upgrade to a Campbell's Soup tomato can. Slightly more luster and name recognition, slightly higher quality, but the result will be the same.

EDIT:

I would honestly not be surprised in the least either way however. MMA has been quite tumultuous as of late.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established

I watched the Mir vs Hardonk fight again last night. Against Lesnar, there is no possible way I see Mir pulling the same stuff he did on Hardonk.

Mir had the weakest takedown I have seen in a long time and easily over powered Hardonk to get into position for a Kimura. No One in the HW division will over power Brock or take him down like that.

Honestly I think Mir's only chance is a heel hook or arm bar or KO of course can happen in any fight, but I dont see it happening.

Bump this thread and you will all be finally sold on Brock.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Any idea on which UFC this is goin down at?

RyanOFelt

Awards
Im excited to see this. Even if his skills are raw, with the brute strength and natural abililty Lesnar has, as well as the wrestling background, im gonna say he's going to win it ground n pound. I really hope so too, so Mir will shut his mouth if nothing else.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Im excited to see this. Even if his skills are raw, with the brute strength and natural abililty Lesnar has, as well as the wrestling background, im gonna say he's going to win it ground n pound. I really hope so too, so Mir will shut his mouth if nothing else.
Mir's mouth doesn't bother me at all, it's his crappy fighting that kills me.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mir is right in his analysis of this, he said his only way to win is by sub early. He also said Lesnar will just take him down and lay on him, I still say Brock by tko rd 1

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Mir is right in his analysis of this, he said his only way to win is by sub early. He also said Lesnar will just take him down and lay on him, I still say Brock by tko rd 1
Agreed. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with Mir's personality, he tells it like it is, pretty logical/reasonable dude.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Mir>Silvia, Silvia>Vera, Vera>Mir , the triangle of doom! Lesnar brutally beats down Mir once gaining position via sheer stength and cardio. Are my greater than's the right way? lol.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Mir>Silvia, Silvia>Vera, Vera>Mir , the triangle of doom! Lesnar brutally beats down Mir once gaining position via sheer stength and cardio. Are my greater than's the right way? lol.
Yeah, except your first names are backwards. As much as I hate that big Blind-Date attending freak, he'd smash Mir.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with Mir's personality, he tells it like it is, pretty logical/reasonable dude.
I agree, Mir is a great representative of the sport. He is very well spoken and sharp witted.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
hitsquaddd Workout Logs 1
MMA 36
warriorway MMA 16