I love Randy as much as everyone else, but I think he's wrong here

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
He's coming out airing all his dirty laundry, complaining about lack of money (and respect). First of all, he's one of the (if not THE) highest paid guys in the UFC. Secondly, he's one of the (if not THE) most respected guys in the sport by pretty much everyone. The UFC brass and announcers basically kissed up to Randy all the time and were very respectful of him.
Now he claims he never got a bonus, he comes up and shows pictures of his contracts for $250k - fails to mention that he'll get $775K + in PPV bonus for each of his fights.
I'm not a big Dana fan and feel that he does abuse some of the lower tier fighters. But in this case I think Randy is just wrong, and it makes me sad.

Good yahoo article here too: Couture saga brings owner out of shadows - MMA - Yahoo! Sports

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He's coming out airing all his dirty laundry, complaining about lack of money (and respect). First of all, he's one of the (if not THE) highest paid guys in the UFC. Secondly, he's one of the (if not THE) most respected guys in the sport by pretty much everyone. The UFC brass and announcers basically kissed up to Randy all the time and were very respectful of him.
Now he claims he never got a bonus, he comes up and shows pictures of his contracts for $250k - fails to mention that he'll get $775K + in PPV bonus for each of his fights.
I'm not a big Dana fan and feel that he does abuse some of the lower tier fighters. But in this case I think Randy is just wrong, and it makes me sad.

Good yahoo article here too: Couture saga brings owner out of shadows - MMA - Yahoo! Sports
I completely agree. Randy Quiture, Captain Capitalism is being brainwashed by his new wife and his hollywood agent.
I dont feel one ounce of sympathy for him. He makes a ton of money and Spike TV had Randy Couture day last August for christ sake.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I don't completely agree but it's hard to say what going on. He did make 2.8-2.9 mil this year from what seems to be credible sources. By this money alone it's hard to say that he's getting screwed. My guess is that some of this goes back to his earlier days with the UFC when he was most likely mistreated and making peanuts. ZUFFA is corporation that is clearly screwing over some people but probably had to in the early days when money was tight. As their profits have soared their pay and treatment of fighters has not increased proportionally. Couture now has the leverage to take a stand against the UFC because of his popularity.

From what I've heard from Couture, it does sound like it has a lot to do with money which is disappointing. I don't think that it is as much about fighting Fedor which I wish it was. I sort of view it as two wrongs, but I will trust Randy as a source much more than Dana, (come on the dude said Fedor is not top 5).

The whole situation sucks, but it brings to light the contract details which I think are important.

Norris aka Captain Miserable, ZUFFA represents capitalism much more than Randy.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I don't completely agree but it's hard to say what going on. He did make 2.8-2.9 mil this year from what seems to be credible sources. By this money alone it's hard to say that he's getting screwed. My guess is that some of this goes back to his earlier days with the UFC when he was most likely mistreated and making peanuts. ZUFFA is corporation that is clearly screwing over some people but probably had to in the early days when money was tight. As their profits have soared their pay and treatment of fighters has not increased proportionally. Couture now has the leverage to take a stand against the UFC because of his popularity.

From what I've heard from Couture, it does sound like it has a lot to do with money which is disappointing. I don't think that it is as much about fighting Fedor which I wish it was. I sort of view it as two wrongs, but I will trust Randy as a source much more than Dana, (come on the dude said Fedor is not top 5).

The whole situation sucks, but it brings to light the contract details which I think are important.

Norris aka Captain Miserable, ZUFFA represents capitalism much more than Randy.
I'm sorry if you mistake my ability to see things the way they are as misery.

Zuffa represents capitalism, Randy represents personal greed.
Captain Capitalism isnt a good name since I cant fault him for tyring to make more money, but quitting and not honoring the contract he signed is another issue. Lets just call him Randy Quiture and leave capitalism out of it.

I would agree with Randy if he came out and said "I make good money but UFC fighters are very underpaid as a whole" type thing. If he is taking a stand for others in the organization he shouldnt make the issue about his personal contract and air his dirty laundry in such a classless way.

All of this leads me to believe he just doesnt want to fight any more and would rather play King of the Sand and dress up in gay costumes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the best thing that will come from this is how little some of the fighters actually make. Granted, Randy makes more in one fight than 99% make in their careers, but he is also the exception to many rules. Dana started out as an agent, so he knows how to manipulate the numbers to his and Zuffa's benefit. Randy has been of the biggest stars for a long time now, yet he is not compensated as much as the others. If wants to walk away from guaranteed money to pursue something he truly wants (the fight vs Fedor), then who are we to criticize his actions?

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I think the best thing that will come from this is how little some of the fighters actually make. Granted, Randy makes more in one fight than 99% make in their careers, but he is also the exception to many rules. Dana started out as an agent, so he knows how to manipulate the numbers to his and Zuffa's benefit. Randy has been of the biggest stars for a long time now, yet he is not compensated as much as the others. If wants to walk away from guaranteed money to pursue something he truly wants (the fight vs Fedor), then who are we to criticize his actions?
I also thinks it's sad how little some of these guys get paid when UFC is raking in millions of dollars in a single PPV. I personally believe that Randy is one of the highest paid guys in the UFC, maybe behind Chuck and CroCop. He got over $900k in PPV % alone for his fight with Tim.
I don't want to criticize him if he wants a fight with Fedor b/c Randy is always looking to fight the best. However, the way he is going about it is just a little classless if you ask me. It appears to not be about "the little guy in the UFC" or a fight with Fedor. Instead it appears to be about his perceived lack of money compared to some others.

Believe me, I would never want to stand up and defend Dana. Sure he brought MMA into the spotlight, but is a shrewd business man that will use people up and discard them. However the way Randy went about this is a little disappointing to me.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I also thinks it's sad how little some of these guys get paid when UFC is raking in millions of dollars in a single PPV. I personally believe that Randy is one of the highest paid guys in the UFC, maybe behind Chuck and CroCop. He got over $900k in PPV % alone for his fight with Tim.
I don't want to criticize him if he wants a fight with Fedor b/c Randy is always looking to fight the best. However, the way he is going about it is just a little classless if you ask me. It appears to not be about "the little guy in the UFC" or a fight with Fedor. Instead it appears to be about his perceived lack of money compared to some others.

Believe me, I would never want to stand up and defend Dana. Sure he brought MMA into the spotlight, but is a shrewd business man that will use people up and discard them. However the way Randy went about this is a little disappointing to me.
It was inevitable that it would end up as a mud slinging war between the two sides. I know that Chuck and Hughes definitely make more than Randy, but none of them are struggling. I believe the message he is trying to convey is that Dana is a liar that dos what he can to increase his profits instead of treating the fighters appropriately.