Chuck vs Wandy Official Dec. 29!

sikdogg

sikdogg

Hang'n & Bang'n
Awards
  • Established
I don't understand what the big deal with this fight is... chuck has lost his last two fights and he doesn't deserve this chance for a big fight. I'd rather see Silva fight someone like Rampage or Henderson again... i'd even prefer to see Silva fight Forrest Griffin than Liddell.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
I don't understand what the big deal with this fight is... chuck has lost his last two fights and he doesn't deserve this chance for a big fight. I'd rather see Silva fight someone like Rampage or Henderson again... i'd even prefer to see Silva fight Forrest Griffin than Liddell.
Its the hate man... everyone loves to see real hate-driven passion go into a fight :D

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wandy has lost two in a row as well. What makes him deserve a fight in the spot light?

**** Wandy fighting a re-match. This is the only chance we will get to see Wandy vs Chuck. I cant believe anyone would even consider watching a ****ing rematch over finally seeing Chuck and Wandy fight even if they BOTH are in a down swing in their careers.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope chuck STOMPS wandy!!!!!!!!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Better late than never on this matchup, but that will depend on how it goes, to be satisfying this has to play out close to what the old school Pride Nuthuggers, include me in this group, think this fight would have played out when these two were the Alpha Wolves of their Packs.

It's the KO Champs of their generation, who's the best slug banger?, **** the strategy finesse, the evil staredown and punches in bunches to victory, curse and spit on the downed loser.

I'll take Wanderlei, Pure Pride Jockstrapping, I'll bet his changes of training associates, like the smartest man in MMA Couture, will give him a winning edge.

I think that Wandy, having seen what has happened to Shogun and Cro Cop, will come into the UFC well prepared to again be the Axe Murderer. His fight with Fujita showed that he is able to learn a measure of technical finesse to accompany his killer attitude, cardio and chin.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'll take Wandy too. If he fights like he did against CC (II), it will be an early night for him, but I think he can take this one with Randy by his side. I'd like to see the best knees in MMA reappear because they've been MIA for a while.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I am taking Wandy in this fight as well. I think the time off has helped him. I am sure he will come in super agressive. I think he will have Chuck backtracking during the fight, not sure if he can take Chuck down though. I want to see Wandy KO Chuck like the did Saukraba(sp). That was a sick 1-2 combo.

RisingAgainst

RisingAgainst

Banned
Awards
  • Established
they both suck so bad right now, Neoborn could take em both... LOL!! :toofunny: :lol:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't think that I need to say where my heart lies in this one...

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
I'm pulling for Wand but think Chuck will KO him. Wand has fought in a cage and in the UFC before so that won't be too much of an issue, neither will the timezone difference. Wand is a little reckless and will push so Chuck can counter and put him to sleep. but hopefully Silva knocks Chuck's head into the 10th row.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gotta say I think this is tough to call, but Wandy coming in with a lot of time off will most likely beat Chuck IMO, as long as he is careful. The one thing Chuck really has going for him is if Wandy pushes the pace he can get caught and dropped. It should be very interesting. Seems like a solid card too. Serra v. Hughes, most likely Penn v. Stevenson

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have heard that these two were going to fight so many times that I'm not even excited to hear this. My usual response is, "I'll believe it when I see it." It's kind of like building a tolerance to a stimulant, lol!

Anyway, I hope the Axe Murderer shows up FTW :nutkick:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I gotta say I think this is tough to call, but Wandy coming in with a lot of time off will most likely beat Chuck IMO, as long as he is careful. The one thing Chuck really has going for him is if Wandy pushes the pace he can get caught and dropped. It should be very interesting. Seems like a solid card too. Serra v. Hughes, most likely Penn v. Stevenson
I thought Stevenson was injured, and they were talking first or second ppv in 08 for that fight.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought Stevenson was injured, and they were talking first or second ppv in 08 for that fight.
Super Bowl weekend maybe? Along with Nog v. Vera/Sylvia

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
A year ago I would have picked Chuck. I'm not Pride nut hugger but I pick Wandy b/c I believe he is hungrier for the win and wants to prove to Dana and the US that he is still a stud. I think him moving to the US shows his determination and focus. I think Chuck wants another big payday and I in no way blame him. However as well all know, 1 nice counterpunch from Chuck is all it takes. I would never count him out.

andro69

andro69

Awards
  • Established
I'll pick Silva. Chuck just doesn't have it in him anymore. But In MMA as we all know anything can happen.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
This fight COULD be a waste of time...or...

Wouldn't it be great if one of these once great fighters came back with a vengeance, using this fight as a springboard? I will watch in the hopes of something good coming out of it. They both have it in em', or at least did.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I think whoever wins, it will be fast. Neither man really has an outstanding chin.

I'm going to pull for Wandy. It's funny too b/c I used to hate him. Hated Wandy when I watched Pride (mainly b/c if you look at most his fights, his punching is pretty ugly. He swings wildly and closes his eyes a lot).

Never know. We might see a Wandy vs. Rampage rematch. Although with the way things have been going, Rampage would probably take him easily this time. It's MMA, you never know.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Me too, just to make Pride nuthuggers cry. That and Chuck needs the win badly. If he loses he may retire too early.
Making a comment like "Me too, just to make Pride nuthuggers cry", comes off sounding like a UFC nuthugger is crying. Also, why is it every post you make, you talk about "Pride nuthuggers"? Are you that worried about them? Are you from Sherdog? You are aren't you.

(BTW, I am an MMA nuthugger)

If Chuck loses, I don't think he'll retire. I do commend him for taking a pretty big fight after coming off 2 defeats. Usually they would throw some tomato can in there for him.

However, Chuck is 38 and he doesn't have anti-aging freak status like Couture.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Making a comment like "Me too, just to make Pride nuthuggers cry", comes off sounding like a UFC nuthugger is crying. Also, why is it every post you make, you talk about "Pride nuthuggers"? Are you that worried about them? Are you from Sherdog? You are aren't you.

If Chuck loses, I don't think he'll retire. I do commend him for taking a pretty big fight after coming off 2 defeats. Usually they would throw some tomato can in there for him.

They are both in the same position, but Wand has been in way more fights and his physical age isn't the problem, but I am afraid he is starting to become punch drunk. Chuck doesn't live the life of a professional athlete. He is a party guy who happens to be a fighter. That is what separates Randy from everyone else-dedication.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just think this fight wil be reminiscent of CC v. Wandy in a very explosive over in a few minutes fight. Could go either way, but I favor Wandy if he has a good game plan

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just think this fight wil be reminiscent of CC v. Wandy in a very explosive over in a few minutes fight. Could go either way, but I favor Wandy if he has a good game plan
You mean the second Wandy-CC fight...

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, the first one, they were both VERY cautious. CC was kicking the sh!t out of Wandy's ribs.

biggerthantex

biggerthantex

Awards
I think Silva will take this fight hands down... he is so much better of a fighter than chuck... I honestly dont know what chuck is thinking

Lift Gate Gus

Lift Gate Gus

Awards
Wandy for sure. I want to see knees knees knees!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

CNorris isn't from Sherdog, he's just like that grumpy Uncle/Grandfather that everybody has in their family who is always pissed off about everything. Seriously, he just hates everything and talks **** to make people mad. He's actually got decent opinions and is an okay guy once you look past it.

Right pooks? (not you, my petname for Norris)

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
I personally think Wandy will maul Chuck. However Chuck is excellent at backing up and punching people while angling out. If Wandy gets over-zealous, Chuck can catch him. And we've seen Wandy get KO'd before (in fact his last 2 fights). Chuck also has the advantage b/c he is used to the octagon and the UFC crowd. That being said, I still think Wandy will come in in better shape and should be able to clinch up and beat Chuck.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Silva training with Couture = Silva wins.

Why would chuck train with filho? He wants to learn more bjj? Why? He couldn't catch up to Wandy's BJJ that quickly, and even so, I doubt they will be looking for subs on eachother.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Why would chuck train with filho? He wants to learn more bjj? Why? He couldn't catch up to Wandy's BJJ that quickly, and even so, I doubt they will be looking for subs on eachother.

I'm guessing that Chuck wants advice on getting a Tyson tatoo as well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm starting to slowly lose my mind waiting for this fight. December 29th is going to be an awesome night of fights.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
New Wandy interview:

http://www.15rounds.com/boxing/News/...lva-120407.php

Wanderlei Silva Q & A

By Gary Herman

In the ultimate dream match many years in making, Chuck Liddell and Wanderlei Silva will finally square off coming up at UFC 79.

The two long reigning light heavyweight champions nearly met in the UFC a few years ago, but when negotiations fell through, Silva returned to Pride Fighting Championships to defend his belt, and Liddell stayed with the UFC defend his light heavyweight belt.

Now, close to three years later, neither Silva or Liddell remain champion, but the excitement of the match-up is there all the same. Both fighters possess one-punch knockout power, and both fighters would like nothing more than to stand and bang for however long the fight lasts.

We recently caught up with Silva to discuss a variety of topics including the upcoming fight with Liddell, what it’s like to be back in the UFC, his views on Mauricio “Shogun” Rua’s debut, and why Fedor Emelianenko may very well be crazy.

Question: To get started, what are your thoughts on the fight with Chuck Liddell?

Wanderlei Silva: This is a great match-up for all the fans and me. I’ve waiting for this fight for a long time, and now, the moment is almost here. I wake up and sleep only with this fight in my mind.

Q: How long have you been waiting for him?

WS: I first saw him fight in Brazil about eight years ago. Chuck won. I wanted to fight him ever since then, but I went to Japan, and he went to the UFC. Then, I became the champion in Japan, and he became the champion here so we never had a chance to fight. I have always been waiting for this match.

Q: It seemed like the fight was close to coming to fruition a few years ago when you and Chuck had the famous stare down in the cage. Unfortunately, the fight never came to pass. From your point of view, what happened there?

WS: In the UFC, there were some difficult negotiations, but I wanted to fight him in Pride – in the tournament. I didn’t get the opportunity to because he lost in Pride to Rampage (Jackson) before getting the chance to fight me.

Q: Now that Pride is no longer around, are you personally happy to be fighting in the U.S. for the UFC?

WS: Yes - because it is much different here. The crowd is always cheering very loudly. It is a great scene. I believe the fans really like my style. If I have good opponents and good matches, I believe I will have very good fans here too.

Q: While you were the Pride light heavyweight champion, were you following the UFC?

WS: Yes, I watched the UFC many times in Brazil. They had some great fights, and now, the UFC has the best fighters in my division. For me, it is great to fight the best guys possible. I want to fight everybody.

Q: Besides Chuck Liddell, is there anyone specifically you’d like to fight?

WS: I want to fight the champion – Rampage. I want the belt. I think with a win against Chuck Liddell I may make me able to fight the champion.

Q: There is a name with some history for you – Rampage Jackson. Jackson has had a lot of success coming over to the UFC, and you defeated him two times in Pride. What do you think of Rampage’s accomplishments in the UFC? Does his success surprise you?

WS: Not at all. He’s a very tough guy. He’s a good puncher. He’s a good wrestler. He’s got a great style for the UFC. I beat him two times, but they were both very hard fights. If I do end up fighting him again, I am going to have to train very hard. The UFC belt is a dream for me. The UFC belt is a symbol for the fighters. It is where the best fighters fight. The people who have the belt go down in history.

Q: That’s an interesting comment about how important the UFC belt is to you. What do you think about Fedor Emelianenko’s choice not to fight in the UFC?

WS: He’s crazy. I don’t know why the guy doesn’t want to fight here. These are the best events. This is the biggest promotion. The guy could be a symbol here. He could have money for the rest of his life. He could do well with the promotion, with sponsors, with commercials, and many other possibilities. Japan is a good market, but the US is different. The American fans love the fighters. Everyday, people come up to me in the street. He needs to come to the UFC.

Q: When you were with Pride, there were always fights among different weight classes. Was there ever a chance that you and Fedor were going to fight?

WS: I did have about ten fights at heavyweight in my career, but I never fought Fedor. I would have gone in there though. I am not afraid of anyone. I will fight whomever the promoter says.

Q: Another Brazilian fighter, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua, did not do so well in his debut. What do you think happened in his fight with Forrest Griffin?

WS: I don’t know. It was a great surprise. The guy (Rua) is basically number one in the world. Rua is a very strong guy. He’s got good jiu-jitsu. He’s got good kicks. But Griffin was amazing. He won. He never stopped. He’s good with his hands. He’s a warrior. I changed my opinion about Griffin after this fight. After beating Shogun, Griffin could be the next challenger for the champion.

Q: When do you think Shogun will return?

WS: I think he’ll be back to the top by the end of the year. I’m not sure when his next fight will be. Before the Griffin fight, Shogun thought Griffin would be an easy opponent, but Griffin was a very tough guy. Griffin never stops. He has great stamina. Shogun didn’t train enough. Shogun will be back though. He’s a great fighter.

Q: Forrest Griffin started out with the UFC on the first season of The Ultimate Fighter. Would you ever be interested in possibly being a coach on the show in the future?

WS: I’d love to coach or even be a fighter on it. What I think they should some day is have a program with major professional fighters. For me, I’d want to do it. It’s a great show. The show made the UFC very popular.

Q: Thanks very much for your time and in closing, how long can the fans of the UFC expect to see you in the octagon for?

WS: I am signed for four fights over two years. I’d like to win the belt in those two years. It’s a great promotion.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

Seems like anyone who trains with Couture = win, lately

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
P.S. Go Wandy, not a huge Wandy fan, but my loyalty goes with (ex) PRIDE fighters.