UFC 78 Main Event

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is a solid giht but a crappy main event, and it is confirmed through the UFC

Michael Bisping v. Rashad Evans

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
From a post made at mmajunkie

"There is a huge back story to this card. Some of the details provided have been made public by Dave Meltzer and the Wrestling Observer.

1. ORIGINAL MAIN EVENT - BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk - When Sherk got busted for roids, it completely killed this main event.

2. PENN VS. STEVENSON - This was the next plan, but Stevenson was hurt. And then when Sherk’s commission hearing got pushed back to Oct 31, it made it impossible to have this fight anyways, because it would be too late for advertising.

3. Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans 2 - This fight was supposed to be on the card. Tito Ortiz already can’t along with Dana White. He now negotiates his contracts with Frank Fertitta (owner). Even still, Ortiz can’t come to an agreement. He thinks he should be paid a lot more. In fact, Ortiz has ALWAYS complained about how much he is making. So this is not new. He has always been a pain to work with, even back before UFC 30.

4. Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill 2 - Another fight supposed to be on the card. Hamill is injured and now can’t compete until 2008. I think this news was reported on this website.

5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cheick Kongo - This fight is happening in December but was supposed to happen on this card. I believe it was Kongo who needed more time due to injuries, so this fight was put off for another month.

As you can see… Anything the UFC tries to plan is getting knocked down. Hopefull at the end of the day, we see guys like Ortiz, Henderson, and others on the card… And we won’t have to worry about it. But as of right now, I think even Zuffa is worried. They have around 60 days before an event to get the commercial spots out to the cable companies… And without a main event signed, that is basically impossible. They are currently between a rock and a hard place."

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
with all their talent this is a crappy card IMO.

I hppe after their last showings, that Rashad and Bisping actually put an effort in

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Terrible main event. It sounds like Zuffa tried at least. They better come up with something. How about Tyson Griffin-BJ Penn, Karo-Koscheck, GSP-Fitch,...

Oh, and F--- Tito. He deserves less money. Losing to Forrest, Chuck, and drawing to Rashad, and still hasn't really beat anyone recently besides Shamrock.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
After finally seeing the Alexander/Jardine fight...I'm obsessed...how about putting him up against someone like kaz, ortiz, evans, bisping, rua, or some other light heavy?

and when's silva gonna fight?

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
my bad, i didn't realize he just fought

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is the first sign of Zuffa's hubris. Unfortunately, many people will still buy this embarrassment of a card while the real fans are the ones that have to suffer. It boggles my mind that with all of the talent on their roster that this is the best that they can come up with.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
After finally seeing the Alexander/Jardine fight...I'm obsessed...how about putting him up against someone like kaz, ortiz, evans, bisping, rua, or some other light heavy?

and when's silva gonna fight?
Yeah, this is a good idea. Alexander is exciting as hell. It would be good to see if he can hold his own against a solid wrestler like Evans or Ortiz, or a judoka like Naka or the crazy clash of styles like him vs. Machida (Machida in a main event:blink: )

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I already posted this on another thread. It is a weak a$$ main event, but I'm interested in the whole rest of the card:

I just found the card for 78, and it is better than I thought. I'm actually psyched for this card, and would try to go, but I bought some expensive plane tickets to S. America for Xmas.

* Michael Bisping vs. Rashad Evans--potential, but I think Rashad will smoke him. Probably the least intriguing fight on the card IMO.
* Karo Parisyan vs. Hector Lombard--battle of the judokas. Could be very cool.
* Frankie Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher--no doubt this will be fight of the night, and should have title shot implications
* Ed Herman vs. Dave Terrell--could be good. We'll see if Terrell still has it.
* Thiago Alves vs. Ryo Chonan--Huge potential. Chonan is inconsistent, but if he comes hungry this could be a battle.
* Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory--Looking forward to this one: Gono debut, and was at a couple of McCrory's early fights. Kid has sick striking, though he didn't show it against Spratt (not surprising).
* Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt--I'm a Lauzon local boy"nuthugger" like Jas to Jensen

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Add Houston Alexander v. Thiago Silva

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would hit by balls on the sidewalk with a ball pin hammer before paying to see this ****ty card. Absoltely pathetic.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I agree about the lack of top of the food chain fights that determine the future of a division, but there are some intriguing matchups.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I would hit by balls on the sidewalk with a ball pin hammer before paying to see this ****ty card. Absoltely pathetic.
I don't really understand what that means, but I completely agree. And no, I don't want a cyanide sandwich, I actually agree. There are a few good matchups, but they need to add a real main event to make it a legit card. We should be seeing Barnett/Gonzaga or something, sign/pay these cats Dana. I'm drunk.........later.

Jas, DBDS 3 sets of 5, feed the community for weeks, eat ****!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't really understand what that means, but I completely agree. And no, I don't want a cyanide sandwich, I actually agree. There are a few good matchups, but they need to add a real main event to make it a legit card. We should be seeing Barnett/Gonzaga or something, sign/pay these cats Dana. I'm drunk.........later.

Jas, DBDS 3 sets of 5, feed the community for weeks, eat ****!
Man, I wish I could have a few drinks right now...damn cutting to LW.:sad:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
This is a pretty piss poor video, but basically Houston A. gets taken down and the ref goes to restart the fight on the ground in the center of the ring and Houston refuses to lie down. Not a good sign for ground game.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not a good sign for Houston. However, you need to withstand the barrage

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I would rather hit Alexander's balls on the sidewalk with a ball pean hammer before paying to see this ****ty card. Absolutely pathetic.
Norris is a Gollum, not a slick editing Yoda.

Alexander, the coneheaded one*, maybe subbed sometime soon, but it won't be by Thiago Silva, who likes to bang, Silva will get Shucked the F out by the CornHusker.

* - for all I know, both Alexanders are Coneheads.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Norris is a Gollum, not a slick editing Yoda.

Alexander, the coneheaded one*, maybe subbed sometime soon, but it won't be by Thiago Silva, who likes to bang, Silva will get Shucked the F out by the CornHusker.

* - for all I know, both Alexanders are Coneheads.
I'm glad a Cornhusker is beating someone.:frustrate Maybe that video is really old because I didn't see it on his Fight Finder record. Maybe an amateur fight? I hope he's learned something.

A Conehead with a Danny Devito torso, now that has got to be weird....

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The only way that Silva is going to save himself from getting KTFO is by putting on one of these.

:twisted:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The only way that Silva is going to save himself from getting KTFO is by putting on one of these.

:twisted:
Haha. They're looking so bad that Silva has a choice of a lot of jerseys that he could throw on. Hell, Ball State put up about 650 yards on the Huskers and probably should have won that game.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
:blink: What ?! The state of who's balls?! No worries, Norris took care of that, fed him a Cyanide sandwich, then took a Ball Pean Hammer to his unused and unwashed Raisins. :hammer:

jas, go rustle us up a filthy ball smashing smiley hammercon.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

Hmm. Rewatching the Sakara and Jardine fights, Houston's striking from the outside looks terrible.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Hmm. Rewatching the Sakara and Jardine fights, Houston's striking from the outside looks terrible.
He has some crazy power and a good clinch game. It would take a very effective striker to keep their distance to expose Houston. I have a feeling that he will have cardio issues because he pushes so hard.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think Silva might be able to stand a chance, however I would have preferred Alexander v. Wandy in December.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established

For some reason I still don't see him as an elite striker. I have a feeling his first loss will be by submission, but he doesn't change angle's very well. I'd say someone who uses angle's like Lidell recently, and throws looping hooks will KO him.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I gotta agree, Houston is not elite he is just very exciting. I think a good counter striker like a Machida will beat him

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Karo - Chonan is the new fight since Lombard is out!!!

All of 5 of ppv fights are interesting so it could be a decent event.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would have preferred a better main event, but so be it at least Wandy is on in Dec.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I would have preferred a better main event, but so be it at least Wandy is on in Dec.
Yeah, I hear ya. I think Rashad-Bisping is the least interesting fight.

Edgar-Fisher should be great. Silva-Alexander should be a slugfest. I'm curious to see how Terrell looks and if he gives the Hermanator a beating, that's a plus too.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
Ya, as stated the main event sucks. But I'd like to see Karo vs Chonan and Edgar vs Fisher. I'm interested to see the return of Terrell to see if he can shake up the MW division...unless he gets hurt before the event ;) - Also I think Evans is going to maul Bisping.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's the full card and I'm pretty excited even though there aren't any great fights.

Main Card Bouts:
-Rashad Evans vs. Michael Bisping
-Karo Parisyan (#6 Welterweight in the World)* vs. Ryo Chonan
-Spencer Fisher vs. Frankie Edgar
-Houston Alexander vs. Thiago Silva
-David Terrell vs. Ed Herman

Preliminary Bouts:
-Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle
-Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory
-Marcus Aurelio vs. Luke Caudillo
-Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt

Alves - Lytle could be a good one.

Other news:
Werdum-Gonzaga at UFC 80.
Junior Silva returns for EliteXC on Nov. 10th.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Should've listened to Wulfie a few weeks ago :D

This isn't really a big name card, but every fight except the main event is very intriguing. I almost bought tix to this, and I'm kicking myself that I hesitated. Between Reinhardt, Lauzon, Aurelio, Fisher and Edgar, this card could do a lot to start sorting out the LW division.

78 is important for the 2nd tier at 170, too. We have Karo, two debuts from PRIDE, the ever-talented Tamdan McCrory (I'm not joking), Alves (always exciting) vs. Lytle, who lost to the current WW champ (in one of the worst fights of all time).

I'm dying to see the undercard.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Who is Junior Silva fighting? I knew Shields, Diaz, and Rogue's ***** Kimbo were fighting. Kind of dissapointed that Kimbo is fighting Mike "only man to be double armbarred" Bourke. Kimbo will 'slice' right through Bourke.

78 is looking pretty good. Lots of good match-ups. I'm curious to see how Chonan will do against Karo. Kind of hoping Alexander gets KO'd. I think Edgar will dominate Fisher.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Junior's fighting Jonathan Wiezorek, the guy that he was supposed to fight at K-1 Heros. Apparently, his medical issues have been resolved. The Slice should get a nice KO, but I think Bourke will last longer than KG would. :twisted:

I don't buy the H. Alexander hype, but he's a hometown boy for me (and exciting as hell) so I'll cheer him on. I'll pick

Evans
Karo
Edgar
Houston
Terrell
Alves

and I'll have to think about the others.

Beo, I've been saying this card is interesting for a while as well. Now go grade some papers:D

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Junior's fighting Jonathan Wiezorek, the guy that he was supposed to fight at K-1 Heros. Apparently, his medical issues have been resolved. The Slice should get a nice KO, but I think Bourke will last longer than KG would. :twisted:

I don't buy the H. Alexander hype, but he's a hometown boy for me (and exciting as hell) so I'll cheer him on. I'll pick

Evans
Karo
Edgar
Houston
Terrell
Alves

and I'll have to think about the others.

Beo, I've been saying this card is interesting for a while as well. Now go grade some papers:D
Wiezorek is going to get a beatdown. Junior is a scary dude. He usually weighs around 290, but I think he could make 265 if he had to. Let's not forget I'm the guy that hyped up Terry Martin:rant: , but I redeemed myself by hyping Akiyama:clap2:

I like those picks Jas. I did say that this card was weak because it had no main event, but I was drunk and didn't want Cnorris to spit hot fire at me. I do think this card is pretty good overall, even if that means agreeing with Tapout's long lost member, Beowulf:trout:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol:

Dave Terrell :FUfinger: :nutkick:

from mmajunkie.com

Dave Terrell (6-2 MMA, 2-1), the once-promising but oft-injured UFC middleweight, has once again been forced to withdrawal from a UFC card.

The 29-year-old has suffered a severe ankle injury and will not be able to fight Ed Herman at a UFC 78 event planned for Nov. 17 in Newark, N.J.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Doerkson is the replacement. Not bad, I'll take Ed by decision.

TheNinja

TheNinja

Awards
  • Established
:icon_lol:

Dave Terrell :FUfinger: :nutkick:

from mmajunkie.com

Dave Terrell (6-2 MMA, 2-1), the once-promising but oft-injured UFC middleweight, has once again been forced to withdrawal from a UFC card.

The 29-year-old has suffered a severe ankle injury and will not be able to fight Ed Herman at a UFC 78 event planned for Nov. 17 in Newark, N.J.
Dang, I was really hoping Terrell would come back and make some noise in the MW division. There isn't much surprise to this noise about him getting hurt. I think he would crush Ed without a problem....if he could ever stay healthy....I mean like ever...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Aleksandar37 MMA 8
C Rex MMA 3