This is a solid giht but a crappy main event, and it is confirmed through the UFC
Michael Bisping v. Rashad Evans
From a post made at mmajunkie
"There is a huge back story to this card. Some of the details provided have been made public by Dave Meltzer and the Wrestling Observer.
1. ORIGINAL MAIN EVENT - BJ Penn vs. Sean Sherk - When Sherk got busted for roids, it completely killed this main event.
2. PENN VS. STEVENSON - This was the next plan, but Stevenson was hurt. And then when Sherk’s commission hearing got pushed back to Oct 31, it made it impossible to have this fight anyways, because it would be too late for advertising.
3. Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans 2 - This fight was supposed to be on the card. Tito Ortiz already can’t along with Dana White. He now negotiates his contracts with Frank Fertitta (owner). Even still, Ortiz can’t come to an agreement. He thinks he should be paid a lot more. In fact, Ortiz has ALWAYS complained about how much he is making. So this is not new. He has always been a pain to work with, even back before UFC 30.
4. Michael Bisping vs. Matt Hamill 2 - Another fight supposed to be on the card. Hamill is injured and now can’t compete until 2008. I think this news was reported on this website.
5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Cheick Kongo - This fight is happening in December but was supposed to happen on this card. I believe it was Kongo who needed more time due to injuries, so this fight was put off for another month.
As you can see… Anything the UFC tries to plan is getting knocked down. Hopefull at the end of the day, we see guys like Ortiz, Henderson, and others on the card… And we won’t have to worry about it. But as of right now, I think even Zuffa is worried. They have around 60 days before an event to get the commercial spots out to the cable companies… And without a main event signed, that is basically impossible. They are currently between a rock and a hard place."
with all their talent this is a crappy card IMO.
I hppe after their last showings, that Rashad and Bisping actually put an effort in
Terrible main event. It sounds like Zuffa tried at least. They better come up with something. How about Tyson Griffin-BJ Penn, Karo-Koscheck, GSP-Fitch,...
Oh, and F--- Tito. He deserves less money. Losing to Forrest, Chuck, and drawing to Rashad, and still hasn't really beat anyone recently besides Shamrock.
After finally seeing the Alexander/Jardine fight...I'm obsessed...how about putting him up against someone like kaz, ortiz, evans, bisping, rua, or some other light heavy?
and when's silva gonna fight?
my bad, i didn't realize he just fought
This is the first sign of Zuffa's hubris. Unfortunately, many people will still buy this embarrassment of a card while the real fans are the ones that have to suffer. It boggles my mind that with all of the talent on their roster that this is the best that they can come up with.
I already posted this on another thread. It is a weak a$$ main event, but I'm interested in the whole rest of the card:
I just found the card for 78, and it is better than I thought. I'm actually psyched for this card, and would try to go, but I bought some expensive plane tickets to S. America for Xmas.
* Michael Bisping vs. Rashad Evans--potential, but I think Rashad will smoke him. Probably the least intriguing fight on the card IMO.
* Karo Parisyan vs. Hector Lombard--battle of the judokas. Could be very cool.
* Frankie Edgar vs. Spencer Fisher--no doubt this will be fight of the night, and should have title shot implications
* Ed Herman vs. Dave Terrell--could be good. We'll see if Terrell still has it.
* Thiago Alves vs. Ryo Chonan--Huge potential. Chonan is inconsistent, but if he comes hungry this could be a battle.
* Akihiro Gono vs. Tamdan McCrory--Looking forward to this one: Gono debut, and was at a couple of McCrory's early fights. Kid has sick striking, though he didn't show it against Spratt (not surprising).
* Joe Lauzon vs. Jason Reinhardt--I'm a Lauzon local boy"nuthugger" like Jas to Jensen
Add Houston Alexander v. Thiago Silva
I might just go...
I would hit by balls on the sidewalk with a ball pin hammer before paying to see this ****ty card. Absoltely pathetic.
I agree about the lack of top of the food chain fights that determine the future of a division, but there are some intriguing matchups.
Jas, DBDS 3 sets of 5, feed the community for weeks, eat ****!
This is a pretty piss poor video, but basically Houston A. gets taken down and the ref goes to restart the fight on the ground in the center of the ring and Houston refuses to lie down. Not a good sign for ground game.
not a good sign for Houston. However, you need to withstand the barrage
The only way that Silva is going to save himself from getting KTFO is by putting on one of these.