Another One Pins the Butt!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
This is definitely a surprise:
This statement was provided to MMAWeekly on behalf of Hermes Franca to address the positive drug test as found by the California State Athletic Commission after his bout with Sean Sherk at UFC 73:

In the next few days, the results from the California Commission will be released. The tests will show that I had a "banned substance" in my system.

I would like to apologize to my fans, the UFC, my students and family. I offer only an explanation and not an excuse. I made a decision during a difficult time in my training for the fight that I regret.

About 8 weeks out from the fight, I badly injured my ankle during a training session. For the following week I had rested it, rehabbed it and tried to work around the injury. It was obvious that I could not train as required.

I contacted the UFC and explained my injury and how I could not possibly train to the level I thought I would need in order to be properly prepared for my fight. I asked the UFC if we could push the fight out to the following UFC with the chance that it could happen. They explained that they could not do that and that the card had been set and it isnt as easy as just moving around a fight. I totally understood their position. They asked me to keep them informed should I not be able to fight.

I had not fought for 5 months. Fighting is literally how I put food on my wife and childs table and how I pay my bills. As a fighter though, even at this level, I live a simple life and I literally live from fight to fight. Not getting a paycheck for another few months and losing my chance to fight Sean for the title was overpowering. Fighting is the life I chose and I love it.

As a lightweight fighter, our purses are comparatively
small. The public sees the payouts. As lightweights, we do not pull down the money anything near the bigger guys. Its just the way it is. I think Sean fought and defended his title for less than $30,000. Its no ones fault, its just the market. I love the sport, I love the people in the
sport.

At this point I was desperate and needed anything I could to get my injury as close to healing as possible and be able to recover from the daily training regimen I was going through. I made the shortsighted choice to hopefully accelerate the healing process and allow me to keep training. Under the pressure of literally not being able to pay next months bills I made a choice. I had to fight and did whatever I could to do so.

I hope my fans, students, the UFC and the public accept my
sincere apology. Whatever punishment is dictated by the California Athletic Commission I will understand. I would like to get through this very difficult time and the times ahead and get back to fighting. All the best to my fans and much thanks to my family and friends that continue to support me during these times.

Hermes Franca
He did appear to be in the best shape I've ever seen him in.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Damn, that is a surprise. I actually like the way he handled it, although he may have layed it on a little thick with the not paying bills stuff (who knows, though).

I wonder what he took?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I was thinking the same thing about bills. Isn't he the owner of the Armory? That is supposed to be a great school. I'd think he'd be making good $$$$$.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I think he might be the first professional athlete to actually tell the truth...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
You've got to be fvcking kidding me!!!!!!!!

I can't believe these guys are juicing, and don't bother to learn basic details, such as how long the drugs stay in their systems.
Sean Sherk, the reigning UFC World Lightweight Champion, who last competed on July 7, 2007 in Sacramento, has tested positive for Nandrolone Metabolite. He has been fined $2,500. His suspension period runs from the conclusion of his bout on July 7, 2007 through the remainder of his licensing year which is June 26, 2008. Furthermore, he has been assessed an additional 10 days in order to fulfill the terms of his suspension (365 total days). The additional days will be added at the beginning of his next licensing year when he reapplies.

Normal levels of Nandrolone range from 2 ng/mL (average person) to 6 ng/mL (athlete engaged in rigorous activity). Mr. Sherk's reported level certified by the Director of Science and Technology from the laboratory that conducted the tests was 12 ng/mL. Both the "A" sample and "B" sample were tested and confirmed as positive.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
So they were both juicing...doesn't that cancel it out?

tattoopierced1

Damn, that is a surprise. I actually like the way he handled it, although he may have layed it on a little thick with the not paying bills stuff (who knows, though).

I wonder what he took?
Franca tested positive to Drostanolone. He has been fined $2500 and suspended through his licensing year which is July 5, 2008

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Sherk's positive test was only 12. Gracie's was around 50. I know the cutoff is 6, but Sherk seems to be such a genetic anomaly, that I wouldn't be surprised if this were just an exception. He could easily be in the 99th percentile.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well damn, that sucks. I wanted to believe Sherk was just an animal. It's hard to believe that Sherk would not know that the half-life of nandro is ridiculous. So maybe he had shoulder surgery after the K-Flo fight ran a cycle after the surgery to get back where he was and the nandro hadn't cleared his system yet?

If athletes can produce an extra 4ng then maybe super athletes can produce an extra 10ng? Doubtful.

What's Drostanolone? Is there another name for it?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I didn't even think about the fact that BJ-Sherk won't happen now.

texxlnghorn

Awards
These people need to spend the extra money and get someone in their camp that know how to use juice, correctly, and take blood test, and get the right stuff that mask some of the juice.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
They could probably find the info they need in 10 min using the internet. It really is ridiculous.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I didn't even think about the fact that BJ-Sherk won't happen now.
Yeah, that sucks. Time to bring in some of Pride's LW's. Penn/Aoki...............I'll cream my pants.

liftitbig85

liftitbig85

Awards
  • Established
nate marquart tested positive too...well that's hear say right now- i haven't found positive proof on the web but i've heard from a few people its true

nycste

nycste

Awards
  • Established
Dromostanolone propionate is the chemical name of active ingredient in Masteron. Masteron was a registered trademark of Sarva-Syntex in Belgium and/or other countries prior to cancellation.

getemboi

Awards
One look at Sherk and I knew he used juice at some point, but I never though in a million years he would be stupid enough to use juice when he has the title, he threw it all away, what an idiot. BJ Penn would have beat him anyways, then go up to the 170 division and take that belt too, I don't like him much, but I would and have put money on it that he will do just that.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
nate marquart tested positive too...well that's hear say right now- i haven't found positive proof on the web but i've heard from a few people its true
I heard he passed. Are you sure that they're not talking about the incident where he failed a test for his fight with Salaverry, but got it overturned?

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
I saw Sherk's All Access documentary, and had hoped that of all people he'd be clean. But in looking at his physique at the weigh-ins, I had suspicions even before this news:

Johnny Morton was an obvious one as well:

liftitbig85

liftitbig85

Awards
  • Established
if you look at sherks training regimen, and everything he does and his 'i dont eat for flavor, i eat for performance' kind of attitude....do you think for a minute that he could have had 12 ng/mL? i'm just too much of a fan i guess to let this one sink in right now...his appeal will be heard Aug. 6th- so i cant wait!

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
Did they all get thier A and B sample tested by different labs?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Guys-

I'm the biggest Sherk fan there is so coming from me this should mean something- it definitely ain't shocking to hear that Sherk juices.

Come on, fellas. Look at the guy.

Sure, he has great genetics and an unbelievable work ethic, but that's not enough to be at the top level of sports today. It just isn't.

He probably took nandrolone way back for his shoulder injury and to enhance his training, and it's just now starting to clear his system, hence the relatively low reading. Nandy stays in your system for a long goddamn time so this isn't surprising in any way.

It was a really stupid mistake to take nandrolone knowing full well you could be tested, but Sherk is still my boy.

And kudos to Hermes for manning up and telling the truth.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
This is a really disappointing situation, this specifically and the overall one of so many MMA guys getting Drug Suspensions.

Yes, thank you, Captain Duh Obvious. Forgive me, I am a mental midget.

My gut feeling about Sherk, everything I've seen of him and my sense of the character of athletes, is that he's an honorable man who is not a cheater, but I suspect that two things are going on here.

One is maybe leftover metabolites from Injury treatment and the other is maybe his unusually intense cardio regime and possibly high protein intake with maybe the use of Creatine, this intensity/diet combo has been shown to spike Nandrolone levels to unusually high levels and has been cause to have testing judgments overturned among Olympic Athletes.

Sherk is not the average athlete in his intensity and dietary regime, I think, maybe I'm just sipping the koolaid, that there is more going on here than appears on the surface.

I don't know what chance he has in getting this suspension overturned, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to review the counter evidence, if made publically available.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, the title of this thread is meant to be sung...to the chorus of "Another One Bites the Dust"!

Nothing like a wee song to cheer up our injured hearts :D

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
This is a really disappointing situation, this specifically and the overall one of so many MMA guys getting Drug Suspensions.

Yes, thank you, Captain Duh Obvious. Forgive me, I am a mental midget.

My gut feeling about Sherk, everything I've seen of him and my sense of the character of athletes, is that he's an honorable man who is not a cheater, but I suspect that two things are going on here.

One is maybe leftover metabolites from Injury treatment and the other is maybe his unusually intense cardio regime and possibly high protein intake with maybe the use of Creatine, this intensity/diet combo has been shown to spike Nandrolone levels to unusually high levels and has been cause to have testing judgments overturned among Olympic Athletes.

Sherk is not the average athlete in his intensity and dietary regime, I think, maybe I'm just sipping the koolaid, that there is more going on here than appears on the surface.

I don't know what chance he has in getting this suspension overturned, I'm looking forward to the opportunity to review the counter evidence, if made publically available.

If that's the case, I'd expect an immediate appeal by Sherk. Silence = guilt IMO.

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
Injured?! how about broken, cracked, shattered and dissipated!

This is exremely dissapointing, out of ALL people, right after such BIG things have been happening for him, and after having a long great recovery. man.....:(

Frankly, i still refuse to believe it....atleast for right now. I like you guys have been a big fan of sherk from way back when.

I agree with you RD on the theory's and it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds. Esp regarding the title (first ever MMA athlete to be stripped due to steriods?).

One other thing to note is that ALL of the positives i believe over the last year have all come from CA events. Now, im going to doubble check that and obviously there were just some blatant offence's, but something may be wrong with the CA commision's testing proceedures/lab.

Or, I could be drinking the aid with RD or my bitter heart is just looking for some kind of light here. I'm a pretty good judge of charcter myself and this doesnt add up.

I hear you savage, but just given his lifestyle, commitment, comptetitive edge geneticly and all this time he has only lost twice out of 38+ fights and im sure been tested before, tells me that this just doesnt add up.

Im not doubting that he had help putting on all that muscle when he was 170+lbs back when, but not now in the height of his career. He is too commited to make this typ of easy, stupid mistake.

texxlnghorn

Awards
I sad he got caught, but in a way i'm glad to wake you guys up, to show you, to be the best you have to be willing to do anything to be the best.
Cheating??? How about all the college students that take ritalin, concerta, or any other ADD drug to study and you make an A.

You wouldn't take a needle in your butt for 760 home runs and 20 million a year? (BONDS)

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I don't get why he would take deca, their are other things out their that give similar benefits that clear the system much much faster.

And I hate how people say "take one look at sherk and you know he juices". That is absolute bull****. It is obvious he is genetically gifted and his physique is very attainable naturally with his work ethic and nutrition.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Awesome: That he admitted it.

Not Awesome: That he was dumb enough to use deca, the worst possible choice when you KNOW you're going to be tested.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
One other thing to note is that ALL of the positives i believe over the last year have all come from CA events. Now, im going to doubble check that and obviously there were just some blatant offence's, but something may be wrong with the CA commision's testing proceedures/lab.
Nothing wrong with CSAC's testing procedures. The difference is they make public who has failed drug tests. NSAC chooses only to report to the righter and the promotion and then it's up to them to make it public. CSAC and Garcia are trying to be overly self-righteous and thus their course of action.

I wonder if Sherk will claim that his diet in addition to his training could account for the high levels of nandrolone.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
And I hate how people say "take one look at sherk and you know he juices". That is absolute bull****. It is obvious he is genetically gifted and his physique is very attainable naturally with his work ethic and nutrition.
No it ain't bullsh*t.

Spotting juicers with a high probablity isn't all that difficult when you study androgen receptor density and distribution.

Of course it ain't 100%, but nothing is.

Plus, we get questions from MMA fighters on how to get gear, how to use it, etc. Of course, since we're a legit company, we don't give them the time of day, but trust me- I have a very good idea of who is doing stuff, who isn't, and how to spot common characteristics.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy either, BTW. I'm probably his biggest fan.

I just know a lot about this.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
No it ain't bullsh*t.

Spotting juicers with a high probablity isn't all that difficult when you study androgen receptor density and distribution.

Of course it ain't 100%, but nothing is.

Plus, we get questions from MMA fighters on how to get gear, how to use it, etc. Of course, since we're a legit company, we don't give them the time of day, but trust me- I have a very good idea of who is doing stuff, who isn't, and how to spot common characteristics.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy either, BTW. I'm probably his biggest fan.

I just know a lot about this.

So you're saying sherk could not look like he does without anabolics?

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If he was just a lifter I would say it's very attainable but add the fact he's at the top of a very taxing sport, i'd have to say no he couldn't.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Isn't 12 a ridiculously high natural nandralone lvl...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm definitely still suspicious of the Sherk positive. I haven't read about steroids in over a year, but I thought you could still test positive for nandro 18 months later. If that is true, and considering the relatively low level, would it be long enough that he should have tested positive when he fought Florian?

That was a question out of my own ignorance, so don't jump down my throat.

Also, everyone is not the same. MMA is extremely catabolic, but I know people whose legs get bigger when they start running. Running is also extremely catabolic when doing extreme distances. I've seen marathoners with massive legs, so lets not overgeneralize. I think we need to wait for some investigation before jumping to conclusions.

Sherk said he's been lifting religiously since he was seven (or something crazy like that). If he was big before he started fighting, and he had the genetics to carry a lot of weight naturally, is it really so far fetched that he is extremely muscular for 155? Some Olympic HW wrestlers are massive and shredded. They probably workout with an intensity comparable to Sherk's. Are they using? Some probably are, but not all.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Yes. He doesn't train for size, yet is big. Come on now.
There is such a thing as maintaining size you know. How do you think he got to be that size, by training for size. If you have seen the UFC all access episode, he weight trains everyday. I'm not really trying to defend sherk, I just like to keep an open mind on the matter and not automatically deny the possiblity of it being a false positive.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
so whay dont they strip his tittle, like wen they did that to tim sylvia?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
CSAC doesn't have the authority to strip the title. Garcia said he was going to revise legislation to authorize it in these cases. For now, it's out of their hands.

I just found this post on the Underground. A guy from a testing facility backs up what I said about the half-life of nandro and the connection to the Florian fight.

Date: 07/20/07 04:29 PM
92 Total Posts Ignore User

I have seen on this site and others in the past few days many misconceptions of what is the cause of the false positive test result(assuming you believe it)

Just to give you guys some insight. It's not the supplements that are contaminated.

If anything it would be that Sherk was overloading his system with Amino Acids and or Proteins and in a sense "tricked" his body into thinking those were the correct levels in his body.

That being said, Nandrolone is produced by the human body naturally between a 2-6 ng/ml level. When he increased the amounts of the Amino Acids and or the Protein his body compensated for the increase by increasing his Nandrolone levels.

Furthermore, the people that are saying it is a badly timed cycle are completely off.

Nandrolone as a injectable steroid stays in you're system for 18-24 months. Sean Sherk's last fight before Hermes Franca was against Kenny Florian 9 months ago. If Sean Sherk was using an injectable form of Nandrolone his positive test results would have been much higher than 12 ng/ml. As the minimal half life of Nandrolone is 18 months. So if he was using Nandrolone as an injectable steroid he would have been using it at an ineffective level.

To think a high level athlete like Sean Sherk is incapable of finding the resources and knowledge to use steroids properly is just inane.

I hope this helps people understand a bit better whats going on.

As always if any of you have any questions or concerns about any type of drug or alcohol feel free to ask. All conversations will be kept confidential.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice find, Beo. That's really interesting if it's accurate. I wouldn't mind tricking my body into producing 12ng/ml of Nandro.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I 'll submit this for consideration -

"The working group, which consisted of Professor Ron Maughan, Professor Eric Newsholme, Professor Clyde Williams and Professor Ed Hillhouse, undertook an experiment which, it said, demonstrated "an urgent need for a full investigation of the factors that can give rise to positive nandrolone tests in athletes."

The test involved three athletes who had been reported as positive for the drug and three healthy volunteers. Over a seven-day period, the athletes trained but did not take supplements and submitted urine samples for analysis, which all proved negative or "at the low end of the normal range." However, when two of the athletes started to take the supplements they had taken prior to their positive tests, one of them returned levels of nandrolone consistently above 10ng/ml, which represents a level five times the legal limit for males.

When the three healthy volunteers were given the same supplements, as were used by the athlete who returned a positive result in the experiment, only the subject who was training was found to be positive. This volunteer's urine recorded a level in excess of 10ng/ml on the second day.

In a statement, the working party declared: "From these preliminary results, we conclude that a combination of exercise and dietary supplements, none of which appears to contain a prohibited substance, can result in a positive nandrolone finding."

I've also seen a similar study done on a larger sample group that drew similar conclusions. It was on the basis of these studies and the opinion of some other "experts" that had had UK sports, the governing body of British sports and WADA reevaluating their positions on Nandrolone testing, not sure of there current stance.

I have to say that based on my personal experience in the NFL, that it is is possible to build and maintain Sherk's level of muscularity if one is doing what he does, sustained Anerobic workouts, think sprinting that tweaks the body to both cut fat and build lean mass. I would refer y'all to Loki's excellent two part article on the physiological particulars of sprinting at M & M and add Sherk's continual intake of high quality nutrients plus whatever legal supplements he's doing.

Long story short, Sherk is a freak, but he's not the only one, the NFL has people doing similar workouts and getting similar results. Think of the Pro Running backs y'all have seen with their shirts off, and don't dare say that's the product of gear, cause the NFL does test well year round. Yeah, there are ways to beat that system, but not with Deca.

Believe it or not, I was one. I used to sprint and do extended lesser intensity cardio and plyo of all types very hard, and my biggest issue was not losing mass, it was in not straining/ injuring my connective tissue and joints.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
This Dave@Accutest is full of ****. What studies show aminos and protein to increase nandrolone production? Furthermore he posits that a level of 12 ng/ml could not be possible if he tested clean 9 months ago. Sure this may be the case if he were dosing as a typical bber might but again not the case. But hey, if Sherk's levels are naturally high then why wasn't this the case when he fought Florian as well?

As for spotting some who uses roids and the reference to AR density, are we looking at the neck/jawline size? Look at Royce, does he look like a typical steroid user?

I also noticed they listed it as ng/ml while most of us are familiar with the ng/dl measurement. Thus normal is 200ng/dL with athletes and women upto 600ng/dL yet Sherk tests in an 1200ng/dL.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
So you're saying sherk could not look like he does without anabolics?
No, I'm not saying he couldn't look like that without anabolics, but I am saying it's very, very, very difficult.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
As for spotting some who uses roids and the reference to AR density, are we looking at the neck/jawline size? Look at Royce, does he look like a typical steroid user?
And Royce has probably never touched a weight in his life, either, so he's not going to look like a "typical juicer".

But it's much more than neck and such. It also has a lot to do with the way juice changes the structure of muscle fibers, and consequently, the way the muscles actually look.

Guys who juice tend to have physiques that look extremely dense and hard, exceptionally developed traps, shoulders, chest, and arms, as well as an overall upper body that is more developed relative to their lower body, etc.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established

Sylvia looked like another person when he was taking steroids, he actually had some definition. I give him credit for having the balls to step up and admit it though... even though I still think/know he is a huge hillbilly. lol