Who punches the hardest (of all time) in each weight class?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Since there is a lot of Sherdogging going on here, I thought I'd start a Sherdog like thread...but a fun one. So create your list of the hardest puncher (past or presently fighting) in each weight class.

HW : Igor :head:
LHW : Liddell or Sokoudjou (it's a little early to crown Thierry, but we'll see)
MW : LEE MURRAY - actually not sure ????
WW: Lawler
155/160 : Gomi
145- : Kid

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HW: Aleks
LHW: Liddell
MW: Kang or Hendo
WW: BJ
LW: Kid

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Kang and Hendo are good ones. I was sort of joking with the Lee Murray reference, I'll have to think about that one more.

Maybe Lawlor at MW or WW back in the day.

I really can't think of anyone at WW, BJ has decent power, but I don't know that I think of it as that great.

Are most of Kid's fights at 155 or 143?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kang and Hendo are good ones. I was sort of joking with the Lee Murray reference, I'll have to think about that one more.

Maybe Lawlor at MW or WW back in the day.

I really can't think of anyone at WW, BJ has decent power, but I don't know that I think of it as that great.

Are most of Kid's fights at 155 or 143?
143, but he has some sick power in his hands. The WW class really does not have a dominant striker, but BJ has shown that he probably has the best hands.

M

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I would not want to be underneath Fedor when he is raining down punches from the top...hardest arm punch of all time.

J

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
This should be fun...some quick off the top of my head picks for pure power and one punch ending talent.

HW : AA or Fedor
LHW : Alessio Sakara or Liddell or Wandi
MW : Leben or Drew McFedries
WW: who the hell knows...GSP or Fitch?
155/160: Spencer Fisher (watch his last fight!), 2nd Melvin Guillard, 3rd Roger Huerta, 4th Gomi
145-: Soon to be Jens, but then again i never watch sub 155.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
HW- Fedor

LHW- Wandy (there's no way it's Liddell- Rampage has even said Chuck doesn't hit that hard, and he would know)

MW- Hendo

WW- Fitch?

LW- Gomi

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HW- Fedor

LHW- Wandy (there's no way it's Liddell- Rampage has even said Chuck doesn't hit that hard, and he would know)

MW- Hendo

WW- Fitch?

LW- Gomi
Rampage also said that Randleman hit him harder than anyone else.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
HW- AA
LHW- Wandy or Bas Rutten
MW- Hendo
WW- I don't really know about this class.
LW- Razor Rob or Pulver, there are alot here

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
HW:Andrie Arlovsk( finished cabbage wen sylvia coudnt)
LHW:Liddel,Rampage,wanderlei,
MW:Lebben until Silva ****ed um up with jabs
WW:Condit nuttin else jumps out to me
LW:Guillard ,Razor McCullough

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
HW: Zentsov
LHW: Chuck
MW: Mcfedries
WW: Lawler
LW: Gomi

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HW: I am surprised no one mentioned CC his hands are pretty deadly
LHW: Liddell, he just puts them to sleep
MW: Anderson/Hendo
WW: I would probably say GSP, although he found out Serra hits pretty hard
LW: Gomi

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
CroCop when he kicks your arm causing you to punch yourself in the face.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
HW: Fedor's ground and pound
LHW: Rampage
MW: Anderson Silva
WW: GSP??
LW: Sherk??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HW: Fedor's ground and pound
LHW: Rampage
MW: Anderson Silva
WW: GSP??
LW: Sherk??
Sherk does not have KO power in his hands. Gomi, Kid, Melendez all hit harder than Sherk. Muscle does not equate to striking power otherwise Sherk and Hughes would be KO artists.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Sherk does not have KO power in his hands. Gomi, Kid, Melendez all hit harder than Sherk. Muscle does not equate to striking power otherwise Sherk and Hughes would be KO artists.
He's the muscle shark man. A "muscle shark" for godsakes. :trout:

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I actually think Sherk does have KO power- he just never uses it. He almost knocked out Hughes.

All he uses his hands for are to set up takedowns, though. It's just not part of his gameplan to try to knock someone out.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
You are right, Crusty. Sherky doesn't fully commit to his combos, he throws upperbody and holds his lower in reserve for the followup takedown.

Since it's almost CFB time, :head: and Sherk is from Minnesota, he's like the Minnesota Gophers, a team that traditionally passes to setup the run.

Too bad, I've never seen him throw a hook, he probably has but I've not seen it, his might be a kill shot with the full power of that explosive lower torso and legs.

If the question of this thread had been- How's the best boxer by weightclass?, I could probably answer that by my reckoning, but hardest single puncher is much harder to say, in heavyweight I would say Butterbean, that's pretty much all he's good for. MW/WW might be Baroni, again, that's his claim to fame, not the best overall hands, but sheer single punch kinetic energy, maybe.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I need to go back and watch Sherk/Diaz. From what I remember, Sherk's stand-up looked pretty damn good in that fight. He's got great defense, that's for sure, each forearm is as thick as his head.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You are right, Crusty. Sherky doesn't fully commit to his combos, he throws upperbody and holds his lower in reserve for the followup takedown.

Since it's almost CFB time, :head: and Sherk is from Minnesota, he's like the Minnesota Gophers, a team that traditionally passes to setup the run.

Too bad, I've never seen him throw a hook, he probably has but I've not seen it, his might be a kill shot with the full power of that explosive lower torso and legs.

If the question of this thread had been- How's the best boxer by weightclass?, I could probably answer that by my reckoning, but hardest single puncher is much harder to say, in heavyweight I would say Butterbean, that's pretty much all he's good for. MW/WW might be Baroni, again, that's his claim to fame, not the best overall hands, but sheer single punch kinetic energy, maybe.
Answer anyways. I took Zentsov for HW. Clearly he doesn't have the best hands, but if he touches you, there's a good chance you're gonna take a nap.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Sherk does have good standup. He throws a very sharp jab/cross combo but it's to setup a shoot or it's reactionary to his opponent's punching. To KO someone, you have to commit to that objective, he doesn't have the leg drive of someone who means to take you out that way. Defensively, he's unusual for a wrestler in that he keeps his hands at temple height and shells(protects) himself from behind them.

If Sherk would deadleg whip his shin off the floor, he would be breaking ribs out there and a straight left to his opponent's liver, bam, but that's not his trained way and God forbid anyone in MMA would ever attempt double punching in tight. I guess someone like Cung Le would/has.

I should clarify something here. The offensive techniques above, and others like them, are higher reward and risk. For someone, who should use as an example? Arlovski, maybe, it's too high risk because he apparently lacks the great defensive reactionary groundskill and hard chin to a counterstrike that Sherk does. Sherk is so fast, strong, good on the ground and iron jawed that , IMO, he can afford to take these risks and his chances of successful recovery are high.

Sherk just needs to open his game up, he has the tools, he needs some topflight Muay Thai instruction, I think.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
From what I remember, Sherk throws some left hook counterpunches. He did this against Florian.

Butterbean and Zentsov are pretty good choices for HW, but I'm sticking with Igor *****es.

I think I'll go with Lawler at WW from the old days. Baroni's a good candidate for MW, as well as Kang and maybe Hendo. I suppose from the UFC these days McFredies, Franklin and maybe even Leben could be considered.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
HW: Crocop, busted several people's eye sockets. Fedor, his ground n pound is hands down the best.

LHW: Liddell. Randy says he hits hard.

MW: Easily Anderson Silva. It might not be the hardest since he doesn't load up on them but his accuracy makes up for it. He's beat the elite strikers such as Murray and Franklin. Technique> pure power.

WW: ??

LW: Gomi, there's a slew of others though and you could even throw in Krazy Horse.

145: Kid. I hope he gets the chance to punch Faber in the face.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I've seen enough of Kid or Faber or know enough about their levels of competition. I guess Kid's wrestling and strking is better than Faber's. Would Kid take out Faber easily? Is Kid still training for the Olympics?

Did I just take my own thread OT?:rolleyes:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure I've seen enough of Kid or Faber or know enough about their levels of competition. I guess Kid's wrestling and strking is better than Faber's. Would Kid take out Faber easily? Is Kid still training for the Olympics?

Did I just take my own thread OT?:rolleyes:
Faber is good, but as you assumed, Kid is better at wrestling and striking. Hard to say if Kid would take out Faber easily. Kid can KO anyone at 145, and he usually comes out guns blazing, so it's a definite possibility. I think it would be a good fight, but I see Kid catching Faber sooner or later. Not sure on the Olympics, havn't heard much about Kid recently at all.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Faber is good, but as you assumed, Kid is better at wrestling and striking. Hard to say if Kid would take out Faber easily. Kid can KO anyone at 145, and he usually comes out guns blazing, so it's a definite possibility. I think it would be a good fight, but I see Kid catching Faber sooner or later. Not sure on the Olympics, havn't heard much about Kid recently at all.
He hurt his elbow during the preliminary tryouts, but he is hoping to still get in a spot for the 08 Olympics. I think he is wrestling at 125 lbs or some thing in that area.