UFC 73 Payroll

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Time for Sherk to renegotiate, as this is absolutely criminal. He made less than Bonnar.

I can see why Dana hates Tito. He is the highest paid, and still he keeps *****ing.

Main Event Fighters

-Anderson Silva: $90,000 (defeated Nathan Marquardt; $45,000 + $45,000 win bonus)

-Nathan Marquardt: $24,000 (lost to Anderson Silva)

Main Card Fighters

-Tito Ortiz: $210,000 (drew with Rashad Evans)

-Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: $200,000 (defeated Heath Herrin; $100,000 + $100,000 win bonus)

-Heath Herring: $70,000 (lost to Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira)

-Sean Sherk: $28,000 (defeated Hermes Franca; $14,000 + $14,000 win bonus)

-Rashad Evans: $16,000 (drew with Tito Ortiz)

-Kenny Florian: $16,000 (defeated Alvin Robinson; $8,000 + $8,000 win bonus)

-Hermes Franca: $14,000 (lost to Sean Sherk)

-Alvin Robinson: $3,000 (lost to Kenny Florian)

Preliminary Match Fighters

-Stephan Bonnar: $32,000 (defeated Mike Nickels; $16,000 + $16,000 win bonus)

-Chris Lytle: $20,000 (defeated Jason Gilliam; $10,000 + $10,000 win bonus)

-Jorge Gurgel: $14,000 (defeated Diego Saraiva; $7,000 + $7,000 win bonus)

-Frank Edgar: $10,000 (defeated Mark Bocek; $5,000 + $5,000 win bonus)

-Mike Nickels: $5,000 (lost to Stephan Bonnar)

-Mark Bocek: $3,000 (lost to Frank Edgar)

-Jason Gilliam: $3,000 (lost to Chris Lytle)

-Diego Saraiva: $3,000 (lost to Jorge Gurgel)

Disclosed Fighter Payroll: $761,000

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, there is no effing way Bonnar deserves to get paid more than Sherk.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That is ridiculous. Sounds like Dana got him into a Franklin-like contract. Franklin was/is getting little per fight especially for his name recognition. Hopefully, he'll get some advertisement cash. He should given his physique alone.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Does anyone foresee problems with the pay in the future? I would think as the sport grows the fighters would demand more.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I honestly hope Sherk holds out. That is pathetic what he makes. I dont usually support athletest that hold out, but Sherk could go to EliteXC and make 6 figures (if they have a lightweight division). With Penn in the division (most likely) and the incredible number of good 155'ers, Sherk needs to get paid now.

If I was Sherk, I would come into a fight with my body written all over with permanent marker with the most ridiculous and annoying advertisements just to make money. I would laugh if sherk came in with a Red Bull energy drink can drawn on his back.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I honestly hope Sherk holds out. That is pathetic what he makes. I dont usually support athletest that hold out, but Sherk could go to EliteXC and make 6 figures (if they have a lightweight division). With Penn in the division (most likely) and the incredible number of good 155'ers, Sherk needs to get paid now.

If I was Sherk, I would come into a fight with my body written all over with permanent marker with the most ridiculous and annoying advertisements just to make money. I would laugh if sherk came in with a Red Bull energy drink can drawn on his back.
I guess you didn't know that this is the reason that Lindland is not in the UFC anymore. He came out with non-UFC approved sponsors and was cut after the fight.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone foresee problems with the pay in the future? I would think as the sport grows the fighters would demand more.
IMO, Zuffa is financially screwing these guys in relation to the net revenue. Sooner rather than later they need to group up and get collective bargaining power to get a fairer shake.

If this goes on, the champions and contenders should go on strike. I would'nt like it, but I'd blame management for it.

Oh, and here's a hearty :FUfinger: to Zuffa for setting up TUF 6 to screw up the welterweight fight situation.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Wow Sherk is getting one broke off in him. I love to see the guy fight. He definitely needs to renegotiate. i guess its just like boxing the little mans always getting screwed.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
ok so he didnt get paid alot but imagine wat all his sponsors gave him as well! he easliy easliy got way more than bonnar in the end, and just to think J-Lau got 32,000 on a simple fight night and it wasnt even PPV, and wow heath herring got more than sherk for losing thats bad, but its the whole sponsorship thing that got sherk his money the guy looks like a walkin billboard

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's brutal for Sherk, he needs to start finishing fights to boost his popularity. Plus him being injured and not fighting for so long didn't help either.

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
They Need A Fighters Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahaha

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
WOW! That really is criminal!

AuggieC: No joke man, they will probably have one soon!

How the heck does Silva and Sherk get paid so little compared to the others?! That is WEIRD!

AuggieC

AuggieC

Awards
WOW! That really is criminal!

AuggieC: No joke man, they will probably have one soon!

How the heck does Silva and Sherk get paid so little compared to the others?! That is WEIRD!
media attention bro silva cant speak a word of english so how can he promote anything really its ahrd to say **** if u cant speak the language right look at tito all that dude is the money because he talks **** and makes this huge secens so he brings in media which than ='s to money only in brazil he can really promote stuff
as for sherk hes not a finisher so not most people dont wanna watch that crap of laying down and not doing anything compared to someone getting ****ed up or a stand up slugfest

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
someone needs a good agent for contract negotiations. ;)

Kegger

Awards
Does anyone have the preliminary sales figures for UFC 73? Compare that to all 18 of the fighters take and that is borderline criminal. I mean look at what the top professional boxers make each fight! Zuffa really has these professionals by the balls, and its frustrating to see such advantage being taken over these great and talented athletes.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have the preliminary sales figures for UFC 73? Compare that to all 18 of the fighters take and that is borderline criminal. I mean look at what the top professional boxers make each fight! Zuffa really has these professionals by the balls, and its frustrating to see such advantage being taken over these great and talented athletes.
Usually the figs pop up a few weeks after the event...

JZ7757

Awards
  • Established
This has been beaten to death latley, ever since these figures came out.

What it comes down to in Sherk's case is that he is still in his old 4 fight contract when he came back to fight GSP at UFC 56. He has one more fight left and then im sure he will reneog after that.

The main proponent here is that there is a TON of non-contract bonus money going around to compensate the fighters, reguardless of fight outcome. Hermes said he got a large bonus even after getting a BJJ clinic put on him for five rounds, JG got the 32k fight of the night bonus, etc. The money is there, its just not announced/disclosed.

The bad side is it is up to the UFC's discression, which im sure the mid level/new fighters arent that happy about. They would want it in writing as much as Randy, chuck, tito has it, but its kind of a smart way to manage if you think about it from a corportate stance.

One major thing is the fighters are NOT complaining about it at all and im sure are getting taken care of. Nevermind tons of sponcer deals, commercials, gate %, ppv %, etc, etc. The prime time fighters are taken care of, for sure.

Sherk is getting taken care of aside from his salary. You will see his numbers rise quite a bit after his contract is up and he is still champ, esp if he keeps walking through guys. Especially after he beats BJ soon and its time to re-up.

One thing most forget is tha Bonnor won the TUF 1 contract with Griffen, so he always gets paid big money per fight with his contact, regardless. He looked good here, but if he keeps up his shiity performance's as he did pre suspension, he will get cut afterward.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
This has been beaten to death latley, ever since these figures came out.

What it comes down to in Sherk's case is that he is still in his old 4 fight contract when he came back to fight GSP at UFC 56. He has one more fight left and then im sure he will reneog after that.

The main proponent here is that there is a TON of non-contract bonus money going around to compensate the fighters, reguardless of fight outcome. Hermes said he got a large bonus even after getting a BJJ clinic put on him for five rounds, JG got the 32k fight of the night bonus, etc. The money is there, its just not announced/disclosed.

The bad side is it is up to the UFC's discression, which im sure the mid level/new fighters arent that happy about. They would want it in writing as much as Randy, chuck, tito has it, but its kind of a smart way to manage if you think about it from a corportate stance.

One major thing is the fighters are NOT complaining about it at all and im sure are getting taken care of. Nevermind tons of sponcer deals, commercials, gate %, ppv %, etc, etc. The prime time fighters are taken care of, for sure.

Sherk is getting taken care of aside from his salary. You will see his numbers rise quite a bit after his contract is up and he is still champ, esp if he keeps walking through guys. Especially after he beats BJ soon and its time to re-up.

One thing most forget is tha Bonnor won the TUF 1 contract with Griffen, so he always gets paid big money per fight with his contact, regardless. He looked good here, but if he keeps up his shiity performance's as he did pre suspension, he will get cut afterward.
Good post.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
one thing i heard is that even though a fighters contract may be running out in a fight or two, if they hold a title then they are locked into whatever contract they have at the time.

none of that is horrible pay, its fighting, you train hard, you et to do something you love, and the actual fight isnt really the work, its all the training and stuff that leads up to it, i mean when you think about it these guys dont train 8 hours a day 5 days a week, they put their time in sure, but its nowhere near a 40 hour work week i dont think.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Aleksandar37 MMA 8
bighulksmash MMA 7