Strikeforce picks contest!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Here we go. To participate, pick the winner of each fight and how you think the fight will end(KO, Sub, or Dec). Also, for the main event(Baroni/Shamrock) pick the time you think the fight will end(Rd 2, 2:20, for example). Picks are due by 9 PM, Friday! I'm going to stick to the 6 main card fights that are officially on, KH couldn't fight, so Joe Boxer does not have an opponent yet.

Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock- Shamrock- UD
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja- Ninja- UD
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams- Buentello -Strikes
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez- The Punk- Strikes
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund- Le by whatever he wants lol,- strikes
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig- Ludwig -Sub

I am up in the air on a few. Can't wait should be a great card.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Baroni - KO (Round 2, 2:14, or 7:46)
Joey V - decision
Buentello - sub
Thomson - sub
Cung Le - KO
Ludwig - sub

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock - Shamrock TKO RD 2 2:30
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja - Ninja decision
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams - Carter KO
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez - Thomson submission
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund - Le TKO
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig - Bang by KO

Last edited:
jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Is Baroni training with Randy and Forrest?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Shamrock-sub-Rd 2 3:00
Ninja-KO
Carter-KO
Thomson-KO
Le-KO
Bang-KO

UNCfan, I understand all your picks except Buentello/Carter. Are you picking Buentello by KO?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ninja-KO
Carter-KO
Thomson-KO
Le-KO
Bang-KO

UNCfan, please clarify your 'ways of victory', either KO, sub, or decision, and pick a time for the main event.
How about we trade our main event picks so you can complete the KO festival and I'll have a substravaganza?

Aqua, thanks. That is what I thought. I'm picking that the NYBA learned something from the Natural.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Ninja-KO
Carter-KO
Thomson-KO
Le-KO
Bang-KO

UNCfan, I understand all your picks except Buentello/Carter. Are you picking Buentello by KO?
:wtf: lol I didn't type that. I picked him by strikes. Oh snap I did, I was doped up on P-XT lol. Let me edit that.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
How about we trade our main event picks so you can complete the KO festival and I'll have a substravaganza?

Aqua, thanks. That is what I thought. I'm picking that the NYBA learned something from the Natural.
Normally I'd say yes, because the all out KO festival is enticing, but I have a feeling Frank is going to try and play footsies.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock Frank via sub rd2
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja Joey via UD
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams Buentello via KO rd1
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez Thomson via TKO rd 2
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund Le via UD
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig Bang by TKO rd1

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock Frank via sub rd2
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja Joey via UD
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams Buentello via KO rd1
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez Thomson via TKO rd 2
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund Le via UD
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig Bang by TKO rd1
Pick the exact time you think the main event will end, that's the tiebreaker, if necessary.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock [KO R1 3:00]
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja [Dec]
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams [RNC Sub]
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez [TKO]
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund [KO]
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig [Dec]

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Baroni TKO Rd 2 @ 2:30= 7:30
Villasenor Dec
Williams KO
Thomson Sub
Le TKO
Ludwig Dec

size

Awards
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock - Shamrock via KO Rd1. 4:13
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja - Ninja via Dec
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams - Williams via KO
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez - Thompson via Sub
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund
- Le via KO
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig - Ludwig via KO

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank ShamrockBaroni/2ndrd 1:47TKO
Joey Villasenor vs NinjaNinja/SUB
Paul Buentello vs Carter WilliamsBuentello/Dec
Josh Thomson vs Nick GonzalezThomson/TKO
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund Le/SUB
Paul Daley vs Duane LudwigLudwig/Dec

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I read an inerview with Shamrock and he sounded a lot more humble and like he accepts that he is currently not top 10. Maybe the Renzo debacle changed him a little.

Damn, Size, you think Shamrock will KO him in 47 s? Baroni is known for having a solid chin.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Not entering this contest, but given the Renzo debacle, Baroni should mop the floor with Shamrock.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well, yeah I guess I can. Doesn't take that much time.

I'll get my picks in by the deadline.

I've got several other deadlines to meet, too. :aargh:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock--Baroni by KO, Rd. 1 2:00
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja--Ninja by Dec.
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams--Williams by KO
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez--Thomson by Sub
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund--Le by TKO
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig--Daley by KO

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Winners in RED

Phil Baroni vs Frank Shamrock - TKO Rd1
Joey Villasenor vs Ninja - KO Rd 2
Paul Buentello vs Carter Williams - KO Rd1
Josh Thomson vs Nick Gonzalez - Sub Rd 2
Cung Le vs Tony Fryklund - Sub Rd 2
Paul Daley vs Duane Ludwig - KO Rd 2

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well damn, I was dead wrong. Looked like a different Shamrock out there.

And good thing I was wrong, too, 'cause I forgot to get my picks in.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I was wrong, but not surprised that Shamrock won. I'm a little surprised how much better he did in the standup aside from maybe the thai clinch where he was getting the worst of it. I'm disappointed that he didn't finish him at about 1:15 into the fight when Phil was in a load of trouble. Cung Le also didn't finish Fryklund in the first when he had the chance. Shammy still has some solid skills, but I think he would get owned by a good grappler like Linland or Filho. His TD defense still needs some work. I didn't see the postfight Shammy interview and update, was he hurt after the fight?

Cung Le is a whiz on his feet. He knew what Fryklund was going to do before Tony knew what he was going to do. His heavily kicking strike game should make him an easy takedown, though, when he fights a solid ground guy smart enough to take it to the ground.

Glad Ninja got a solid win. The Rua bros are class acts.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Results...........

I'll post the rest tomorrow, but Rodja wins, with the closer tie-breaker time. It was a three way tie on points between Rodja, Size, and Beowulf. If Baroni would've tapped, I would have won with no tie-breaker necessary, but it was ruled a TKO............daaaaaaaaaaaaamn. Everybody rep Rodja!

Pretty damn good card, I enjoyed it. Oh, and Rogue was in the cellar on this one, top three every time deez nuts.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Phil supposedly tore his groin in the first 30 seconds of the fight. Of course, I don't know if it is a joke, b/c he whipped out his manhood for the camera (not shown, of course). If that is true it would explain why Phil looked like absolute hell. The post-fight appeared to reveal two guys who tried, but are way past competitive age. [Note: age refers to the toll on the body, not time spent on planet.] Both were in agony.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I was wrong, but not surprised that Shamrock won. I'm a little surprised how much better he did in the standup aside from maybe the thai clinch where he was getting the worst of it. I'm disappointed that he didn't finish him at about 1:15 into the fight when Phil was in a load of trouble. Cung Le also didn't finish Fryklund in the first when he had the chance. Shammy still has some solid skills, but I think he would get owned by a good grappler like Linland or Filho. His TD defense still needs some work. I didn't see the postfight Shammy interview and update, was he hurt after the fight?

Cung Le is a whiz on his feet. He knew what Fryklund was going to do before Tony knew what he was going to do. His heavily kicking strike game should make him an easy takedown, though, when he fights a solid ground guy smart enough to take it to the ground.

Glad Ninja got a solid win. The Rua bros are class acts.
I watched the fight with my Vietnamese friend, so he was psyched that Cung Le won. I've seen clips, but this was the first time I really saw him perform. He's great to watch.

I think he'd be smarter with a wrestler, but we'll have to wait and see. His kicks are so fast that he regains composure quickly and could still sprawl after. Those kicks would require specific training to catch, and there aren't many guys who can kick like him. He quickly shrugged off Fryklund's lone attempt at a body lock (idiotically, his only attempt). I'd like to see him fight someone like Filho or Tanner to see what he can do with someone who owns the ground.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Congrats Rodja and Rogue maybe it's time to "re-evaluate".:lol:

Thanks for the update on the post fight stuff, Beo.

This was a great event. I hope that Strikeforce/Elite can keep up the good work with solid cards and keep the UFC in line by giving them some competition. The bar I watched this at was absolutely empty (maybe 20 people watching the fights) vs. 250+ for the Tito-Chuck ppv.

I love Mauro, but he had some lame jokes tonight.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
You win some, you lose some. I did'nt know jack about these fighters,not even much about Ninja, that was straight copy and paste from a guy who is usually pretty good.

Note to self - Reevaluate the decision to run on other's personal judgement when lacking personal insight. Note to self - yet again, old man? Note to jas - did you expect my humility in defeat?, yeah, right :p My Head is momentarily bloodied, never bowed.

I'll have to talk with Bill G. about the commentators claim that Frank is back, to my eye, he was way too tasked and winded in that fight to match up well with the best of the UFC.

Baroni is/was a second tier Pride fighter, IMO, Sham's Strikeforce "World" middleweight title don't mean **** until he matches with top tier talent.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Carter looked way out of shape. Nice showing by the headhunter.

Thomson is the real deal, not that this fight really proved that. I think he could be UFC 155# champ given the right circumstances. I'd love to see him and Sherk fight.

Ninja scared the hell out of me, again. He needs to protect himself better. I was extremely happy to see him win, and was surprised he didn't cry more.

I would love to see Cung Le fight Anderson Silva. Damn, what a dreamfight. Le is a ring general, and seems to have a good head for MMA.

Hard to say what was up with Shamrock. Was he not able to train very intensely leading up to the fight, due to his injury? He definitely gassed hard. Hopefully Shamrock will stick around, so we can see what he's capable of in the newer era of MMA.

This is great. Go to bed, wake up, have a couple bloody mary's, and it's time for what should be another entertaining event.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just saw the Shamrock/Baroni fight and it was much different than what I was expecting, but I am still happy that Frank won. I cannot stand Baroni, but if the injury is true it does explain a lot. Rumor has it that Frank was fighting with a torn ACL and MCL.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
damn...I did terrible. Nice of you to bring out the Lee Hotti pic!

size

Awards
  • Established
I would have won if I would have stuck with Shamrock via sub but I changed it to KO. Another loss for me.

I thought Shamrock looked really solid especially when considering his injuries. His standup looked much sharper than Baroni's and he appeared to be in total control the entire fight. A good win for Shamrock and definitely a fight worth watching

Also, while I hate taunting during fights, I have to admit that the Shamrock sleeping gesture then the point to Baroni was funny.

If you missed it, watch the Cung Le fight. He was unstoppable in San Shou and he is looking incredible in mma. His striking is great to watch and his kicks are amazing.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I would have won if I would have stuck with Shamrock via sub but I changed it to KO. Another loss for me.

I thought Shamrock looked really solid especially when considering his injuries. His standup looked much sharper than Baroni's and he appeared to be in total control the entire fight. A good win for Shamrock and definitely a fight worth watching

Also, while I hate taunting during fights, I have to admit that the Shamrock sleeping gesture then the point to Baroni was funny.

If you missed it, watch the Cung Le fight. He was unstoppable in San Shou and he is looking incredible in mma. His striking is great to watch and his kicks are amazing.
Actually you would've lost worse, because it was a TKO, not a sub. Baroni didn't submit, he went out cold, so it was considered a TKO. Cung Le is impressive. I'd like to see him against Ninja or Villasenor next.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Cung Le is amazing on the feet, the way he methodically picks people apart.

However, against a Matt Lindland, who's definitely not afraid to eat some strikes to take him down, he'll be in serious trouble.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Didn't do to well.

I don't know what the deal with Fryklund was...what did he attempt, one lackluster "clinch" takedown?!
I was actually thinking he was paid to keep it standing.

There's no way any of Cung Le's "show" kicks would work against a decent MMA Fighter. An axe kick?! C'mon!

Frank impressed me with his standup, and I really like Thompson.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Payout numbers:

James Edson Berto $25,000 def Victor Valenzuela $30,000 (paid by EXC)

Paul Buentello $50,000 def Carter Williams $25,000 (paid by Strikeforce)

Murilo Rua $50,000 def Joey Villasenor $32,000 (paid by EXC)

Josh Thomson $15,000 def Nick Gonzalez $10,000 (paid by Strikeforce)

Cung Le $100,000 def Tony Fryklund $12,000 (paid by Strikeforce)

Paul Daley $30,000 def Duane Ludwig $15,000 (paid by EXC)

Frank Shamrock $1.3 Million def Phil Baroni $75,000 (paid by Strikeforce)

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Daaaaamn, Franky knows just what the f*ck he's doing.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly there were some bonuses too.

I thought Buentello got screwed when they cut him from the UFC. He was exciting and at the time he was like #3 in their HW division. 50k is definitely more than he was getting paid before so good for him.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Supposedly there were some bonuses too.

I thought Buentello got screwed when they cut him from the UFC. He was exciting and at the time he was like #3 in their HW division. 50k is definitely more than he was getting paid before so good for him.
Yeah, Buentello deserves more respect. That title shot performance against Arlovski really screwed him. I remember reading that Buentello was/is trying to call out Kimbo to fight. That would be interesting, but I really don't see Buentello losing.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
All I can say is that there was some decent talent on this card. I just watched it and enjoyed every minute of it. So far Elite XC has put on a good showing. I just hope they can continue to put together great cards by picking up proven fighters like Buentello or relatively unknown guys like Edson Berto<---this guy can bang for a lightweight, although that wasn't seen on this card.