Hmmmm, I wonder if I can??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have toyed with the idea of dropping to 155, even before my first fight. I figured that I could drop to 165 and then lose the last 10 during the usual weight cutting time. As of right now, I am in the low 170's and I am feeling very strong. I have always been one of the stronger guys in my current weight class, so I would think that it would amplify. I think I am agile and quick enough to keep up with the speed of most LW's. My main problem is actually aesthetic, I don't want to be that small in day-to-day life, but I know that for my MMA game that it would be great.

The main two areas I would have to attack to drop the rest of the weight is my BF%, obviously, and my legs. I have been dropping fat like crazy since I started the JW/PA stack and I just have to keep up the cardio and watch my diet, but the legs will be a little trickier.

Last edited:
jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You could probably stay at the weight your at and lose about 5-7 more pounds in the last 2-3 weeks before the fight. Then do your 10 lb weight cut, right? From your posts it sounds like you're really into it so maybe you should go for 155 if that's beneficial.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could probably stay at the weight your at and lose about 5-7 more pounds in the last 2-3 weeks before the fight. Then do your 10 lb weight cut, right? From your posts it sounds like you're really into it so maybe you should go for 155 if that's beneficial.
It is definitely on my mind right now. Like I said, I would shoot for 165 and then cut the rest overnight. I guess I will see how easily I can make it to 165 in the next month or so. I know one thing, I would be a huge LW.
:bb2:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I have decided that it would be in my best interest to drop to 155. I have noticed that the LW's that I train with cannot sweep or counter me once I get top-position and I can often get out of bad situations when they are in a dominant position by just pure strength. I figure my height (5'10"), reach (74"), and strength will give me a huge advantage in the LW class. However, I will still fight at 170 when I get my rematch against my first opponent or if the opportunity presents itself.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
It is definitely worth trying, as the trend in MMA is to fight as light as physically possible. Just get ready for some Gabesque crying and hallucinations... :D

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It is definitely worth trying, as the trend in MMA is to fight as light as physically possible. Just get ready for some Gabesque crying and hallucinations... :D
I figure that I wont let myself get 20+ lbs over-weight and I will hover in the 165-170 area between fights.

BillFinkbiner

BillFinkbiner

Awards
  • Established
I figure that I wont let myself get 20+ lbs over-weight and I will hover in the 165-170 area between fights.
I don't know you too well, but in your avi you have a look in your eyes that Gabe Rudiger can only dream of having.

Fro me dropping about 20 pounds in 16 weeks for my bodybuilding comp was kind of extreme. You guy's dropping 10 pounds over night is downright insane, but in a good way. If it's what you want to do you could drop the weight and be up to about 170 by fight time.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know you too well, but in your avi you have a look in your eyes that Gabe Rudiger can only dream of having.

Fro me dropping about 20 pounds in 16 weeks for my bodybuilding comp was kind of extreme. You guy's dropping 10 pounds over night is downright insane, but in a good way. If it's what you want to do you could drop the weight and be up to about 170 by fight time.
I guess I need to add something in my signature that says my avatar is not me, it Wanderlei Silva.:lol: :icon_lol:

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
you always get that man. Seriously.

Btw. you say on top position you cant be sweeped by LW but you are heavier at the moment. DOnt think that dropping 15lbs is not going to harm your strength. Whenever you drop weight below your natural weight you are going to lose strength even if all you drop is fat. i dont think you can stay as strong if you drop that much weight jmpo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you always get that man. Seriously.

Btw. you say on top position you cant be sweeped by LW but you are heavier at the moment. DOnt think that dropping 15lbs is not going to harm your strength. Whenever you drop weight below your natural weight you are going to lose strength even if all you drop is fat. i dont think you can stay as strong if you drop that much weight jmpo.
Most of the guys in my gym have trouble sweeping me once i have top position, not just the LWs. I have noticed that only the higher belts and 200+ lb guys can sweep me. Also, a lot of the weight I am going to lose is from my thighs. I have a very bottom heavy physique and I am going to change my leg training to only BW and focus mainly hip and glute power.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i see. i have the same build. im 210 right now if i dropped to 180 id kill guys. I notice when people cut weight they usually have really skinny legs.

BillFinkbiner

BillFinkbiner

Awards
  • Established
I guess I need to add something in my signature that says my avatar is not me, it Wanderlei Silva.:lol: :icon_lol:
I guess I should pay more attention, I just watched Silva vs. Crocop on Sunday night.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Haha, I guess there are worse people to be mistaken for huh, Rodja. I'm really slamming that guy in my av, ;).

Brother

Brother

Awards
Oh yea ..... drop wieght for sure. Same power if not more. if you lose any it wont be significant and you will gain speed.... Speed=Power in my opinion. I was 250 at one point and when I droped down to my current 220's I noticed it was much easier to move my weight around which transitions into easier to move my opponents around. I think more MMA fighters should use the rubber guard too. its a great submission/sweep/defense tool that is under used...... unless you smoke weed and roll with Bravo :clap2:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You sound like you're a similar size as myself (I'm currently 5'8" @ a BF% in the low teens/upper single-digits). Earlier this month, I was cut down to 167lbs for a BB show and it gets kinda rough when you get that low. Strength and endurance were way down.

So when planning to hit a brand new low weight, remember that you're not going to be able to function as well as if you're weight were a little higher.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
So when planning to hit a brand new low weight, remember that you're not going to be able to function as well as if you're weight were a little higher.
i dont know about that. Sometimes big guys drop weight and move alot better. Sometimes the body is actually more effiecient not stressing the extra lbs. IMO, of course.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You sound like you're a similar size as myself (I'm currently 5'8" @ a BF% in the low teens/upper single-digits). Earlier this month, I was cut down to 167lbs for a BB show and it gets kinda rough when you get that low. Strength and endurance were way down.

I have to disagree here because when I started my training, I was at ~195-200 and I have been doing much better since I dropped to the 170-175 range. One thing that has made a huge difference, and does not get a lot of attention, is that I have made core strength a major emphasis in my training.

I did not do any direct core training for a couple of years because I figured heavy squats, deads, cleans, etc would keep my core strong enough. Now I always make sure to train my core 2-3x/wk and Thai boxing has also made a huge difference.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i dont know about that. Sometimes big guys drop weight and move alot better. Sometimes the body is actually more effiecient not stressing the extra lbs. IMO, of course.
I'm talking about going from being lean, to being grossly lean and water/electrolyte deprived. From the impression I was under, it sounds like getting down to this weight was gonna be a stretch, needing to take these sorts of measures.

If you're downing a few lbs of extra bodyfat, or even some musclemass, it can improve your agility without a doubt. I'll agree with you on that.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm talking about going from being lean, to being grossly lean and water/electrolyte deprived. From the impression I was under, it sounds like getting down to this weight was gonna be a stretch, needing to take these sorts of measures.

If you're downing a few lbs of extra bodyfat, or even some musclemass, it can improve your agility without a doubt. I'll agree with you on that.
You have ~30 hrs between weigh-ins and fight time, so I would be in the 170 range once I actually step in the cage. I have about 10 weeks to get into my weight range, which is plenty of time. Let the training trim me up for the next 4 weeks, then start the actual cutting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
If you're an animal at 155, you'd probably be a complete beast at 145.....:stick:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're an animal at 155, you'd probably be a complete beast at 145.....:stick:
10 more lbs would be way top much too ask. 5'10" and fighting in 145 is not possible unless I want to lose all of my muscle.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Luttered out, huh. Is this what you mean?

I was just teasing Rodja. I'll stop my rampant OTing in your thread now.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You mean thats not you??? When I thibk of you thats who I see. Hmm No pics of you?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You mean thats not you??? When I thibk of you thats who I see. Hmm No pics of you?
I am not a big picture taker. Actually, one thing that I really hate is taking pictures.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
How will I know who to watch for in the fights on tv?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not a big picture taker. Actually, one thing that I really hate is taking pictures.
im exactly the same. Its pretty extreme, you would be on a treasure hunt to find pics of me.

Crader are you a woman?

and Jas, nice comparison there. I think you hit it square on the chin, a la Rampage. haha.