Gracie Maintains Innocence

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
Of the mixed martial artists that fought June 2 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, MMA pioneer Royce Gracie (Pictures) was likely the last man anyone would have tabbed a steroid user.

However, on Thursday, that veneer was crushed when the California State Athletic Commission revealed the 40-year-old Brazilian tested positive in both "A" and "B" samples for traces of Nandrolone, a commonly used anabolic steroid.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Of the mixed martial artists that fought June 2 at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, MMA pioneer Royce Gracie (Pictures) was likely the last man anyone would have tabbed a steroid user.

However, on Thursday, that veneer was crushed when the California State Athletic Commission revealed the 40-year-old Brazilian tested positive in both "A" and "B" samples for traces of Nandrolone, a commonly used anabolic steroid.

Deca can stay in your system for 18 months.... but I cant belive Royce would juice. I believe his word, he at least deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm not terribly surprised.

Juicing is fairly common (and open) in Brazilian culture.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Look at the fluctuation in size of Vitor over the years. He was huge the first time he fought Couture.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

oh ya steroids in Brazil.. no problem.

In Chute Boxe they have a steroid fairy that comes once a week and shoots everyone in the ass

but the Gracies are different.
they are totaly against using steroids.

vitor juicing is a no brainer, the Gracies stoped training him for that reason

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
oh ya steroids in Brazil.. no problem.

In Chute Boxe they have a steroid fairy that comes once a week and shoots everyone in the ass

but the Gracies are different.
they are totaly against using steroids.

vitor juicing is a no brainer, the Gracies stoped training him for that reason
Vitor trained with Carlson Gracie until he needed a more MMA oriented team. BTT is much more suited to MMA then any of the Gracie camps. The Gracie's did not stop training him because he started using steroids.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Vitor trained with Carlson Gracie until he needed a more MMA oriented team. BTT is much more suited to MMA then any of the Gracie camps. The Gracie's did not stop training him because he started using steroids.
Thats not what i heard. Carlson Gracie (RIP) trained many great fighters. You always see great fighters become not so great when they leave the trainer that made them great.....
there are many examples of this.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
We'll see.
.. ya your right as far as Royce is concerned but not the rest.
That is the Gracie way!

It just would be a shame if Royce did end up shooting deca in his ass.
In my eyes he is still the Legend that he is and always will be. But for all the idiots out there and all the media... they are going to put the Gracie name in the mud.

Brother

Brother

Awards
Gracie schmacie.... I think the Gracie hype is just that as far as MMA goes. They are great JJ players but everyone knows that when you throw strikes into the mix (including elbows) it changes the game completely. Vitor never submitted anyone except Joe Charles with a white belt armbar. Just cause you train with a legend dosnt make you one. However a little juice never hurt after geting owned by Hughes ;)

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's the latest

%%%%%%%%%%%%%5
In the wake of Royce Gracie's (Pictures) positive test for steroids, the California State Athletic Commission released details Monday that the Brazilian mixed martial arts icon showed such elevated levels of Nandrolone, a common anabolic steroid, that it could not be registered by the testing lab.

According to the CSAC, a normal person could potentially produce 2 ng/mL of Nandrolone, while an athlete following "rigorous physical exercise" could have a level of 6 ng/mL.

Both "A" and "B" samples provided by Gracie, said the CSAC, "had a level of over 50 ng/mL and we were informed that the level itself was so elevated that it would not register on the laboratory's calibrator."

Gracie, currently on vacation in Spain, told Sherdog.com last week that he has never taken steroids, and that he would file for an appeal.

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
Does anyone know if those high levels are consistant with someone using, or might they be more consistant with contamination? I don't know enough about the subject to know what level might be considered "impossible" in a human body before toxicity resulted.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It does seem a little strange that his levels where that high. I am not very knowledgeable on steroid tests, so I can't really say, but it sounds like they are saying that they did several tests.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think most claims of contamination from cattle or supps have been positives for nandro. It only makes sense if he used it for his joints, b/c if I recall correctly, nandro is strictly for mass, and I believe it is for wet mass. I think it is pretty estrogenic.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it just seems that if his level was at 50 and a trained athlete would be at 6...

that is 8X the level of a trained athlete. I dont know how these tests work but it only makes sense that if he had that much nandrolone in his system he would be HUGE! and we all know that he is not. He is definitly has put on more muscle since he faught Hughes.
Something isnt right.

if anyone knows how these tests work.... please explain!

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
It sounds to me as if it could have been even higher than 50. I think their equipment only measured up to 50, so it could have been significantly higher even than that.

Rufio

Awards
Gracie schmacie.... I think the Gracie hype is just that as far as MMA goes. They are great JJ players but everyone knows that when you throw strikes into the mix (including elbows) it changes the game completely. Vitor never submitted anyone except Joe Charles with a white belt armbar. Just cause you train with a legend dosnt make you one. However a little juice never hurt after geting owned by Hughes ;)

Actually Vitor did very well in ADCC. He just didn't use his BJJ well in MMA for some reason. He also subbed Bobby Southworth and almost subbed Tito.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It sounds to me as if it could have been even higher than 50. I think their equipment only measured up to 50, so it could have been significantly higher even than that.
ya so .. if his levels were THAT high we would be seeing a bloated fat nippled Royce... something smells fishy!!!!!

Jumper

Jumper

Awards
ya so .. if his levels were THAT high we would be seeing a bloated fat nippled Royce... something smells fishy!!!!!
You must have missed my original post. Since the levels were essentially "off the scale" I wondered if that indicated that there might have been a problem with the sample. Such as tampering or contamination, or some other problem with the test. It appears that the deisgners of this test never expected to detect levels as high as these in their test subjects, or their measurement scale would have be broad enough to accomodate it. Hence my original question: "Does anyone know if those high levels are consistant with someone using, or might they be more consistant with contamination? I don't know enough about the subject to know what level might be considered "impossible" in a human body before toxicity resulted."

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You must have missed my original post. Since the levels were essentially "off the scale" I wondered if that indicated that there might have been a problem with the sample. Such as tampering or contamination, or some other problem with the test. It appears that the deisgners of this test never expected to detect levels as high as these in their test subjects, or their measurement scale would have be broad enough to accomodate it. Hence my original question: "Does anyone know if those high levels are consistant with someone using, or might they be more consistant with contamination? I don't know enough about the subject to know what level might be considered "impossible" in a human body before toxicity resulted."
gotcha...

ya i guess we will find out soon enough

smc252

Awards
  • Established
I know quite a bit about anabolics, and I'd have to say the following:

Either he soaked his steaks in Deca, was poisoned and didn't notice the benefits of the drug or he was juicing. It is very VERY unlikely the samples were contaminated, not to mention they had TWO seperate samples. Anything is possible I suppose.

I guarantee you around 80% of the MMA pros do it currently, or have done it in the past. It still takes skills to get strong and be a good fighter.

If the levels were a little bit high, like 5-10, there is room to say maybe something like this happened:

"Urine analysis as a method of detecting nandrolone abuse has recently become somewhat controversial, following studies by the University of Aberdeen showing that the metabolite product can also show up in urine in quantities above the upper limit from a combination of high-protein diets utilising the legal nutritional supplement creatine and hard cardiovascular exercise. The reason for this unexpected result has not been determined. Another possible (though unlikely) reason for a false positive result is the consumption of beef from cattle treated with steroids including nandrolone (used in overturning the verdict against the bobsleigh racer, Lenny Paul). Heavy consumption of the essential amino acid lysine (as indicated in the treatment of cold sores) has also shown false positives in some and was cited by American Shotputter C.J. Hunter as the reason for his positive test."

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I know quite a bit about anabolics, and I'd have to say the following:

Either he soaked his steaks in Deca, was poisoned and didn't notice the benefits of the drug or he was juicing. It is very VERY unlikely the samples were contaminated, not to mention they had TWO seperate samples. Anything is possible I suppose.

I guarantee you around 80% of the MMA pros do it currently, or have done it in the past. It still takes skills to get strong and be a good fighter.

If the levels were a little bit high, like 5-10, there is room to say maybe something like this happened:
well how do you explain his physique.. those off the chart levels seem like they would be enough to make someone huge or at least have noticable side effects.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
He's not huge because he doesn't lift for hypertrophy.

He got caught because he doesn't know WTF he's doing.

There are two types of athletes in professional sports, for the most part- those who get caught, and those who don't. The ones who get caught don't know what they're doing.

And yeah, using performance enhancers is very common in MMA, particularly growth hormone.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yep.

A non-dectable anabolic AND thermogenic agent that has a proven track record- it's gold for them.

What's funny is how we (Avant Labs) have been approached by MMA fighters asking for it. I have to explain to these folks that we are NOT a Balco-type place. We only deal in legal, over-the-counter supplements.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wandy's head is one of the most noticeable ones. He looks a little used up and worn down by the game. I hope I'm wrong cause seeing savagely swarm Dirty Bob again a few nights ago makes me miss the animal Wandy of old.

Savage, that's crazy that people approach you guys especially since you guys don't even put out some of the more grey area supps. Come on admit that you hooked up Sherky, though.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I heard Savage's real name is Patrick Arnold :D

Just kidding.

Drugs are in all sports, and if I became a full-time pro (which will not happen) I'd be stupid to not run at least GH.

texxlnghorn

Awards
Johnnie Morton tested postitive also, but no one brings him up because he got KO

smc252

Awards
  • Established
well how do you explain his physique.. those off the chart levels seem like they would be enough to make someone huge or at least have noticable side effects.
I'm not sure how much you know about anabolics, so forgive me if I'm repeating basics to you. :study:

You can take as many anabolic drugs as you want, if you don't eat and train to be big, you will not become big.

Nandrolone is a pretty mild drug, the biggest upside for MMA guys is that it lubricates your joints. It's affinity for esterases is high, which is why it can stay in your body 18 months after you run a cycle of it. When you stop using it, you're going to be shut down pretty hard and thus lose most, if not all of your gains.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm not sure how much you know about anabolics, so forgive me if I'm repeating basics to you. :study:

You can take as many anabolic drugs as you want, if you don't eat and train to be big, you will not become big.

Nandrolone is a pretty mild drug, the biggest upside for MMA guys is that it lubricates your joints. It's affinity for esterases is high, which is why it can stay in your body 18 months after you run a cycle of it. When you stop using it, you're going to be shut down pretty hard and thus lose most, if not all of your gains.
i probably know more than you....

#1 you will put on muscle regardless of what you do if you take steroids. If you think otherwise then you are the one that needs to learn the basics.
#2 Royce probably trains more in one week then you do in two months. It might not be lifting weights but its still alot of training. I actually know alot of fighters that juice and dont lift any weights they just train and they are built pretty good better than most of the pictures of members i have seen on forums (and all those guys do is lift and eat to get big).
#3 with levels that high he would be a bloated bastard with big fat nipples, yet he looked pretty lean and dry to me.
#4 i dont think levels that high are for someone that has been off for a while. off the charts levels are usually indicitive of someone that is "on"