Please take a few moments to rip this guy

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Please take a few moments to rip this guy


    The Grand Rapids Press
    Is UFC a sport or not a sport?

    The so-called sport of ultimate fighting, which is little more than glorified street fighting, has become America's fastest-growing and most controversial form of televised entertainment. And the most repulsive form of television programming.

    Here's what UFC fans have in common:

    A. They're mostly Nean-

    derthal males hiding in caves.

    B. They're not nearly sophisticated enough to appreciate the sweet science of boxing, nor the infield fly rule, the pick-and-roll, the left-wing lock, the bump draft or the pulling right guard.

    C. They still think the "Flintstones" is a documentary.

    The macho world of mixed martial arts is a disturbing trend in sports programming, which, unfortunately, might get much worse before it gets better. It often attracts higher ratings than both NBA and Major League Baseball postseason games among the coveted 18-to-34 male demographic.

    The pay-per-view numbers are staggering: Ultimate Fighting Championship's pay-per-view revenues were almost $223 million in 2006, compared with $177 million for boxing on HBO and $200 million for WWE pro wrestling, according to figures in a recent issue of Sports Illustrated.


    Following the money

    UFC and similar events can be found on the Spike cable network, on WXSP, which has turned to this garbage since losing Big Ten football and men's basketball and Detroit Tigers telecasts, and even on ESPN2 for a live weigh-in.

    Shame on them.

    The once-legitimate sport of boxing has become irrelevant, with its alphabet soup of sanctioning bodies and a heavyweight division that's not the same since Mike Tyson took a bite out of Evander Holyfield's earlobe.

    That's not a high point.

    It started the downward spiral for a declining sport that no longer appeals to young males, who'd rather spend $54.95 on a violent video game than a pay-per-view matchup.

    Mixed martial arts isn't a sport. Judo is a sport. Karate is a sport. Those disciplines are showcased once every four years on a legitimate stage in the Olympics.

    Mixed martial arts is a cultural plague.

    I promise this is the last time I'll ever write about UFC or the knuckleheads that participate in this savage bloodlust for the purpose of TV ratings.

    I've made a list of so-called sports cluttering the cable TV landscape that I'd much rather watch than sit through UFC's skull-bashing sessions.

    Darts.

    Spelling bees.

    Figure skating exhibitions.

    Billiards.

    Cheerleading.

    Eating contests.

    Strongest man competitions.

    Any talk show featuring Skip Bayless or Woody Paige.

    No, I don't watch those ridiculous events, either.

    I'd still like to think that traditional sports such as baseball, football, basketball, hockey and auto racing are the common threads that run through our culture.

    Or boxing, for that matter.

    Instead, it seems the next generation is preoccupied with the warped sensation of seeing the cult film "Fight Club" come to life in the form of combatants punching, kicking and mauling each other in a cage that's called the Octagon.

    Shame, shame, shame.




    Send e-mail to the author: bvanochten@grpress.com

    I am getting so ****ing tired of these fat pricks insulting not only my sport, but also me.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

  2. Registered User
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,977
    Rep Power
    969163

    Whoa, whoa, whoa...you mean The Flintstones wasn't a documentary?

    This guy is talking out of his ass. He is likely a long time boxing fan...he said mixed martial arts isn't a sport, but Judo and Karate are. Hmm, that makes sense. That's like saying there's no skill in catching a football, BUT you have to be a skilled athlete to be a wide receiver.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  3. Avant's #1 Stunna'
    Board Sponsor
    Sir Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    1185

    I don't like to personally attack people, but he's an idiot.
    •   
       

  4. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Savage View Post
    I don't like to personally attack people, but he's an idiot.
    I don't either, but he is attacking an entire sport and it's fans (and I fall into both categories).
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  5. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    tattoopierced1's Avatar
    Stats
    6'7"  270 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    5,233
    Rep Power
    8350

    what a retard.
  6. Registered User
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hiroshima
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,066
    Rep Power
    2158

    Yeah, this guy is one of the worst depressed boxing fans out there. I like how he says that auto racing is a real sport with good fans. I don't watch it at all, but there is certainly a portion of fans that only want to see crashes.
  7. Anabolic Innovations Rep
    Board Sponsor
    zbtboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    999
    Rep Power
    608

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post

    B. They're not nearly sophisticated enough to appreciate the sweet science of boxing, nor the infield fly rule, the pick-and-roll, the left-wing lock, the bump draft or the pulling right guard.
    HAHAHA. Yes these are all much more technically difficult than a submission. Geez did i really think an arm-bar was a better show of athleticism than when an infielder has to catch a fly ball with runners on base (or not catch it since the hitter is automatically out)??....I'm such a fool.
  8. Registered User
    SteelEntity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    595
    Rep Power
    386

    well he is getting a peice of my mind.
  9. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by zbtboy View Post
    HAHAHA. Yes these are all much more technically difficult than a submission. Geez did i really think an arm-bar was a better show of athleticism than when an infielder has to catch a fly ball with runners on base (or not catch it since the hitter is automatically out)??....I'm such a fool.
    I guess he also forgets that the left-wing lock was one of the worst things that ever happened to hockey. It slowed everything down and led to the clutching and grabbing of the late 90's, early 2000's.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  10. Registered User
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hiroshima
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,066
    Rep Power
    2158

    Quote Originally Posted by SteelEntity View Post
    well he is getting a peice of my mind.
    Might as well attach a virus if you're emailing him.
  11. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Might as well attach a virus if you're emailing him.
    I like how you think...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  12. Registered User
    EESCHMan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    290

    What a tard!

    I wrote him...
    is there an email address for the paper to write about this?
  13. Registered User
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,977
    Rep Power
    969163

    For those of you that do write him please keep in mind that we don't want to prove his point for him:

    Here's what UFC fans have in common:

    A. They're mostly Nean-

    derthal males hiding in caves.

    B. They're not nearly sophisticated enough to appreciate the sweet science of boxing, nor the infield fly rule, the pick-and-roll, the left-wing lock, the bump draft or the pulling right guard.

    C. They still think the "Flintstones" is a documentary.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  14. Registered User
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    740

    Looks like a Tard?



    is that on your head?!

    Acts like a Tard?

    Sports Columnist, that's his speciality, who crudely insults a large fanbase with indefensible generalizations and ignorance.

    It's confirmed, he's a turd covered in burnt hair or maybe Bigfoot's D**k. One thing's for sure, he'll never make "Anchorman" on the Network with work and a mug like that.

    Count me as a content Neanderthal happily hiding in a cave, if this is the "Real" Sporting way to be.

    I should rip him a new one by email, but being him is probably punishment enough. To paraphrase the line from "Animal House" -

    "Fat, Ugly, and Stupid is no way to go through life, Son"
  15. Registered User
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,977
    Rep Power
    969163

    Is that really his pic or did you just pull a bad come-over pic from the net?
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  16. Registered User
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    740

    That's a straight copy and paste from his ****ty little paper in his ****ty little city.
  17. Registered User
    ersatz's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    The carnival of American decay on parade
    Posts
    1,311
    Rep Power
    784

    Don't feed trolls and play into their game, just ignore them like the rest of humanity has.
  18. Registered User
    SteelEntity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    595
    Rep Power
    386

    lmao whadda chump
  19. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
    Don't feed trolls and play into their game, just ignore them like the rest of humanity has.
    Intelligent rebuttal helps out MMA fans more than ignoring his article. I am so sick of these pro-boxing die-hards bashing MMA and it's growth over the past few years. I dislike many UFC fans, but insulting the sport is out of line. My fellow competitors and I bust our asses for many, many hours to prepare for our fights and I will not allow some fat piece of **** to disrespect my brethren and me.

    He needs to learn about the sport before he writes an article bashing the fans and the athletes. I have noticed a trend towards bashing "Ultimate Fighting" as those tards like to call it and I will not stand for it any longer. It is as much a legitimate sport as boxing or any other event that goes through sanctioning body.

    If you think that I am taking this personally, then you are correct. MMA is the hardest sport to train for and I wish that every one of its detractors would go to an MMA gym and train for a month and see how "unskilled" these competitors are.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  20. Registered User
    Iron Warrior's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    5,329
    Rep Power
    13066

    That guy looks like he's never played a sport. He didn't even mention the most underappreciated tactic in sports which is the crack back block in football.

    I'm recently getting into MMA as a fan because it's violent, skillful, and strategic. There's nothing wrong with that and that doesn't give him the right to categorize fans as unsophisticated neanderthals.

    He is a retard because he would rather watch the spelling bee over MMA. It figures this fat slob would also prefer "competitve eating" over MMA.

    I don't know why, but he seems like the Michael Moore of sports journalism.

    OTOH, this is a sign that the sport is growing and getting attention. Having fat and un-athletic person bash the sport just validates the sport and takes away credibility from this slob.
  21. Registered User
    EESCHMan's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    318
    Rep Power
    290

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Intelligent rebuttal helps out MMA fans more than ignoring his article. I am so sick of these pro-boxing die-hards bashing MMA and it's growth over the past few years. I dislike many UFC fans, but insulting the sport is out of line. My fellow competitors and I bust our asses for many, many hours to prepare for our fights and I will not allow some fat piece of **** to disrespect my brethren and me.

    He needs to learn about the sport before he writes an article bashing the fans and the athletes. I have noticed a trend towards bashing "Ultimate Fighting" as those tards like to call it and I will not stand for it any longer. It is as much a legitimate sport as boxing or any other event that goes through sanctioning body.

    If you think that I am taking this personally, then you are correct. MMA is the hardest sport to train for and I wish that every one of its detractors would go to an MMA gym and train for a month and see how "unskilled" these competitors are.
    Yes...basically I just wrote saying that I'm college educated, work as a programmer, blah blah...
    That MMA takes more athleticism than boxing, and that most fighters are college educated (unlike boxing).
    He went on to say that judo/karate/wrestling/boxing are sports, so I continued and said, Okay, so put those together and you get MMA!

    I'm about to get back into MMA Training (after 13 years!) 'cause I love the sport so much. I already know it'll be hard, but I need to get into better shape in my "old" age (I'm not that old!)
  22. Registered User
    stxnas's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Age
    33
    Posts
    9,977
    Rep Power
    969163

    Quote Originally Posted by EESCHMan View Post
    Yes...basically I just wrote saying that I'm college educated, work as a programmer, blah blah...
    That MMA takes more athleticism than boxing, and that most fighters are college educated (unlike boxing).
    He went on to say that judo/karate/wrestling/boxing are sports, so I continued and said, Okay, so put those together and you get MMA!


    I'm about to get back into MMA Training (after 13 years!) 'cause I love the sport so much. I already know it'll be hard, but I need to get into better shape in my "old" age (I'm not that old!)
    LOL. Wow! He must have no inkling about the sport at to have said that. Even a neanderthal that knows MMA wouldn't have said that due to the anticipation of your response.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  23. Anabolic Innovations Rep
    Board Sponsor
    zbtboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    999
    Rep Power
    608

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    I guess he also forgets that the left-wing lock was one of the worst things that ever happened to hockey. It slowed everything down and led to the clutching and grabbing of the late 90's, early 2000's.
    I'm a Devils fan so I can't really complain about that too much.
  24. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by zbtboy View Post
    I'm a Devils fan so I can't really complain about that too much.
    The Devils were a trapping team more than a LWL team. It was the damn Red Wings that made the LWL prominent.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  25. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,392
    Rep Power
    2334

    This man is easily intimidated and fears natural selection.
  26. Registered User
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    740

    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatgifted View Post
    This man is easily intimidated and fears natural selection.
    That pretty much sums it up.

    These people miss the logical extension, as EESCHman pointed out, as the whole being as legitimate and greater than the sum of the parts and add gross generalizations about the fanbase, instead of simply admitting that realistic violence in a controlled setting offends them, this sport that is an intense natural progression beyond singular combat forms.

    Fair enough, you are put off by the perceived savagery, say so, don't attack it from these illogical and slanderous angles.

    Rodja,

    When this thread has run it's course, you should forward a link to this to this guy, and we'll give him the chance to defend his assertions. Bet he won't, but it's the fair and possibly interesting thing to do.
  27. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Rodja's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    23,071
    Rep Power
    917996

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    That pretty much sums it up.

    These people miss the logical extension, as EESCHman pointed out, as the whole being as legitimate and greater than the sum of the parts and add gross generalizations about the fanbase, instead of simply admitting that realistic violence in a controlled setting offends them, this sport that is an intense natural progression beyond singular combat forms.

    Fair enough, you are put off by the perceived savagery, say so, don't attack it from these illogical and slanderous angles.

    Rodja,

    When this thread has run it's course, you should forward a link to this to this guy, and we'll give him the chance to defend his assertions. Bet he won't, but it's the fair and possibly interesting thing to do.
    My fear is that he would see the word "Anabolic" and have a new set of ammunition. Not only are we savages, but we are also juice-heads...
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  28. Registered User
    jas123's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Hiroshima
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,066
    Rep Power
    2158

    Why are we Neanderthals for wanting to see KOs or subs? Do boxing fans not want to see the same thing? I haven't heard any boxing fans that I know say that Mayweather-DLH was a great fight. Or is it the fact that the KOs come quicker because of the gloves? A couple strike quick KO has to better for you than getting knocked down 4 times in a fight, allowed to recover slightly each time, only to ultimately get KOed. If any studies have been done on this, please post them. Or have these people only seen clips of old early UFCs and don't understand how far MMA has come? Can these boxing fans just not get over the differences in the stance and what they perceive as sloppiness?

    I can guarantee that my MMA fan friends and myself all are at least as educated as this guy and most of us are surely more. This is not necessarily a measure of one's worth, but I think it's fair to say that we aren't idiots.
  29. Registered User
    somewhatgifted's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  210 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,392
    Rep Power
    2334

    Whats better a submission, a barrage of three or four placed knees or elbows with a quick ending once rendered unable to defend oneself...... Or hundreds upon hundreds of unrelenting brain cell popping, damage. Boxing in its very essence is far more barbaric with more of a likeness of beating ones head against a wall, than the skill quickness and versatility of MMA.
    With the recend deaths in the boxing ring the commision has made heavier gloves mandatory for even light weight fighters....
    do they not realise the heavier the glove the more sheer volume of punches a man could withstand. If they used MMA gloves guys would get KO'ed and save brain cells as opposed to the relentless punches of less than KO ability due to heavier larger surface area gloves. MMA's brutality and "neanderthal like" nature provide a safeness inconcievable to a boxing traditionalist. From a safety standpoint id rather theoretically get opened up by a cut or almost choked out than eat 600 punches.
  30. Registered User
    GuyverX's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Different locations in the TN,AR,MS area
    Posts
    1,045
    Rep Power
    1775

    I'd like to invite that guy for a few rounds in the ring.
    How dare he insult one the toughest sports to hit the shores of the USA.
    MMA takes just as much skill, dedication, perseverance, and heart as any other sport.
    More than some of them.
    In all actuality I think he might be jealous because he can't participate.
    The nerve of some losers.



    long live MMA fighting.
    the warrior way of modern SPARTANS !!!!!!!!
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Please advise on how to run this...
    By tallbikerguy in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 06:42 PM
  2. Please read, didnt know where to put this
    By ephedroman in forum Company Promotions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 09:24 PM
  3. Dont know where to put this but take a look!
    By just93 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-20-2008, 08:31 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM
  5. Please help me find sobstitute to this product
    By marcink99 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2007, 02:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in