UFC/MMA getting bigger...

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Was reading the news on MSNBC and on the front page I found this...

MMA notebook: Iceman, Rampage ready for long-awaited bout - Other Sports - MSNBC.com
UFC is definitely on the rise, must be getting super good PPV ratings. Last night when I got home I had a message on my answering machine....from Chuck Liddell. I remeber when UFC was banned virtually all over and had to go overseas to have competitions, now it's the big dollars floating around if they have promotional phone calls.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
MMA also has a page on espn.com now. However, until Fedor fights in the UFC, I will not recognize their HW champion.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
MMA also has a page on espn.com now. However, until Fedor fights in the UFC, I will not recognize their HW champion.
Yeah I agree. Where's Fedor at? I am really forward to Henderson fighting in the ufc.

Many sports writers say that the may Mayweather vs. Oscar fight was the last big fight of boxing. MMA is growing in popularity and is projected to over take boxing sooner then expected. I saw this poll where UFC events being bought on PPV are double vs. that of boxing being purchased.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
They showed the Liddell/Jackson on SportsCenter and the results were listed in some newspapers like the LA Times so it appears that it is gaining mainstream acceptance. I have slightly mixed emotions about that but least it's generating good revenue for some.

It does look like UFC is picking Pride fighter ranks and bringing the best over. Will the Hendo/Jackson bout be to unify the titles? Seems like Zuffa will phase out Pride and it will be nothing but a distant memory to us and completely lost on the casual/new fans.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
They ran a lot of promotional stuff on ESPN and ESPN news. They interviewed Chuck twice and Rogan once. It's good to see.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I don't think Zuffa will eliminate Pride, there's too much money potential in Japan, particularly since K-1 is Fing themselves up, and it will serve as a training ground for Asian fighters to come to the US.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jJgg3XHLhs"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

Here's that Rogan MMA vs. boxing debate.

Vegas Lord

Awards
hmm

I saw Rampage on ESPN (sunday and monday). Rampage will help even more i think, ESPN seems to like Page, as both his interviews were funny.

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
In my view, Zuffa should keep Pride active. Why? Because the Japanese love Pride, and they want it more than they want the UFC. It will be like having a Western and an Eastern conference. Then, once a year, we can have a world tournament.

Wouldn't it be great to have a worldwide open weight class tournament to see, once and for all, who is THE best fighter at any weight? I know they have it in Pride, but we're talking global. ANYONE can fight in it from either organization. You want to talk about upsets? I think there are HUMONGOUS upset possibilities in there.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I am proud to say that a friend who has never watched a full MMA fight. I've discussed it with him numerous times, and he found himself in a bar putting the verbal smackdown on a boxing fan who called Rampage's win human "cockfighting".

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Next time I'm in a bar, or wherever, and someone makes the "Cockfighting" comment, I'm gonna whip out my One eyed Rhode Island Red and choke them into submission :twisted:

That's such an ignorant comment, no appreciation for the science and safety that's employed in MMA.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
Next time I'm in a bar, or wherever, and someone makes the "Cockfighting" comment, I'm gonna whip out my One eyed Rhode Island Red and choke them into submission :twisted:

That's such an ignorant comment, no appreciation for the science and safety that's employed in MMA.
Agreed. People need to learn to keep their mouth shut if they're not educated to make a comment in the first place. I would say once a week I get into a debate with ignorant pro boxings fans hating on MMA.. swear to god it drives me nuts.

Man, Rogan schooled that boxing promoter on that ESPN vid. Good stuff :trout:

Thrall

Thrall

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. People need to learn to keep their mouth shut if they're not educated to make a comment in the first place. I would say once a week I get into a debate with ignorant pro boxings fans hating on MMA.. swear to god it drives me nuts.

Man, Rogan schooled that boxing promoter on that ESPN vid. Good stuff :trout:
Yeah, I saw that interview. Let's face it: anyone who says boxing is more "scientific" than any other form of fighting doesn't know what the hell they're talking about. I mean, what do they think, that you just do conditioning training and then go in a cage and hope you beat the guy up? And their arguments against jiu jitsu are horrendous. They just don't understand how complicated it is in comparison with throwing a three punch combo. :study:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established

I think it would be best for all involved if the One-eyed Rhode Island Red stays in its pen :D

I was happy b/c the guy who was defending MMA is not even a fan. He just shut down the other guy's ignorance. I wish I had been there. I haven't had a good argument with a boxing fan, just with the anti-violence crowd. My uncle was a pro boxer, and he admires MMA.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Female Fitness 1
Aleksandar37 MMA 8