MMA Cardio/Lifting routine. Could use some help.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Alright guys I somewhat recently started training Jiu Jitzu with a friend of mine who is a sec. deg. black belt trainer. I did it this way because I get 1 on 1 training for free as often as I want. He is a great trainer but I am having some troubles with a few things.

A) What is a good way to add in cardio without losing too much muscle early on. I can understand cutting the fat and weight before comps but I am far away from any matches right now and need a way to up cardio without taking too much from the physique.

B) I dropped down to a 3 day/week workout routine and am training 3 days with JJ, what kind of routines are you guys doing so that you aren't overtraining yourself?

Thanks guys!

LMD

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I added BCAAs everytime that I lifted or went to BJJ. Also, a general increase in carbs helps to reduce or prevent any muscle loss. The nutrient repartioning that I get from intense grappling is similar to performing HIIT cardio.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I added BCAAs everytime that I lifted or went to BJJ. Also, a general increase in carbs helps to reduce or prevent any muscle loss. The nutrient repartioning that I get from intense grappling is similar to performing HIIT cardio.
The only problem I get from BCAA's is stomach upset. Seems sometimes when I take it I get a really bad stomach ache. I could be using too much though. How many teaspoons would you say you use? When did you take them?

How long before did you carb up? I tried eating a lot about an hour before but it was too early, might have to take it to 90 mins.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The only problem I get from BCAA's is stomach upset. Seems sometimes when I take it I get a really bad stomach ache. I could be using too much though. How many teaspoons would you say you use? When did you take them?

How long before did you carb up? I tried eating a lot about an hour before but it was too early, might have to take it to 90 mins.
I sip on about 15g of BCAA throughout each session and have about 55-60g of carbs afterwards (usually oats and fruit) with protein.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I sip on about 15g of BCAA throughout each session and have about 55-60g of carbs afterwards (usually oats and fruit) with protein.
What do you eat before hand and how early before? That is my biggest problem, finding that groove so I dont have stomach upset but close enough so I don't lose too much weight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What do you eat before hand and how early before? That is my biggest problem, finding that groove so I dont have stomach upset but close enough so I don't lose too much weight.
It depends how much time I have between BJJ and my other training, but I generally eat about an hour or so before training. The meal I eat the most is eggs, turkey bacon, oats, and pineapple. The pineapple helps to break down the other food and makes it digest easier and without much, if any, stomach irritation.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I try to eat a bagel and drink a shake about 1 hour before. If I am eating real food, I need to wait closer to 2 hours. At least the early part of training is usually drilling, which may not be that intensive. I couldn't eat within at least 2 hours of actually rolling. I think it was Rodja who told me that BJJ didn't affect his recovery/workouts too much, but any time I roll I am dead tired and sore after. I bet the calorie expenditure from rolling is great.

As for balancing lifting and MMA, it is very hard. I'm just starting to get to do both consistently now, and I've only been doing BJJ about twice per week due to schedule conflicts.

I consider MMA my cardio, so I haven't really been doing anything else. A lot of guys run, but I'm guessing there are some better things you can do considering how hard on the joints MMA already is.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I try to eat a bagel and drink a shake about 1 hour before. If I am eating real food, I need to wait closer to 2 hours. At least the early part of training is usually drilling, which may not be that intensive. I couldn't eat within at least 2 hours of actually rolling. I think it was Rodja who told me that BJJ didn't affect his recovery/workouts too much, but any time I roll I am dead tired and sore after. I bet the calorie expenditure from rolling is great.

As for balancing lifting and MMA, it is very hard. I'm just starting to get to do both consistently now, and I've only been doing BJJ about twice per week due to schedule conflicts.

I consider MMA my cardio, so I haven't really been doing anything else. A lot of guys run, but I'm guessing there are some better things you can do considering how hard on the joints MMA already is.
I think that was me. MMA training did not have any detrimental effect on my lifting until I started restricting my calories. Learning that BJJ burns tons of calories and that it is ok to replace those calories is the most important thing that I can say.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I think that was me. MMA training did not have any detrimental effect on my lifting until I started restricting my calories. Learning that BJJ burns tons of calories and that it is ok to replace those calories is the most important thing that I can say.
Yeah I have been getting as many cals as possible lately. I am not doing BJJ, just regular JJ which has more stand up in it really. But the grappling reallllly takes a lot out of me. I am always extremely sore.

I am going to try the pineapple though.