Ray Mercer vs Kimbo in Cage Fury!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think it will be interesting, but not relevant. We all want to see a legit boxer fight in MMA, but Kimbo is not an MMA fighter. We all want to see how the badass Kimbo will do in MMA, but Mercer is a boxer.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Kimbo is not exactly a young dude either and he usually gases out within 5 minutes.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
According to Kimbo's Myspace page, he is 33 years old. Thats a lot younger than 46. Mercer did fight in 2005, went 7 rounds with Shannon Briggs. Im not sure if Kimbo can hang with Mercer, even if he is as old as a dinosaur. The 4 oz gloves gives the advantage to Kimbo though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Mercer is going to knock Kimbo out quickly IMO. Mercer hits sooo hard, and can take a really good punch. Unless Kimbo can take Mercer down, he will be in trouble, but I guess that is fairly obvious.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I saw somewhere that Kimbo has been training MMA at Freestyle Fighting Academy (I think Miami) for a while now. If that is the case, and Mercer isn't working on a sprawl, Kimbo could easily take this to the floor and win.

Vtaper

Awards
:think: I wonder if kimbos posse will be allowed to enter the cage to call a rules violation when he starts getting his ass kicked

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:think: I wonder if kimbos posse will be allowed to enter the cage to call a rules violation when he starts getting his ass kicked
That fight against Gannon wasnt really an MMA fight, it was a street fight. Im sure from Kimbo's ghetto or whatever streets he grew up on, when a man gets knocked down its an unwritten rule you let him get back up and fight. Gannon pulled some cheap **** in that fight, but when you have a bare knuckle brawl dont expect there to be any well laid out rules. Watching Kimbo's other street fights, you never see a guy getting choked out or ground and pounded. I'm sure his posse had never even seen stuff like that before. Kimbo's street fights are basically bare knucle boxing. It is funny however that Gannon beating Kimbo helped him get a fight in the UFC.

I think Kimbo will win just from watching that press conference. Most boxers arent too intelligent, but Mercer did not appeared very educated about MMA. In the press conference he apparently thought he was fighting in the UFC instead of Cage Fury. I hope Mercer comes prepared to be put on his back. Kimbo has more to gain and lose from this fight, and he will not take it lightly. Mercer at his age doesnt have much to gain. I predict Kimbo will win, but the legendary street fighter vs ex pro boxing champ is an interesting match up to say the least. Cage Fury is putting on the type of freak show MMA gets criticized for, but I love it. Just like Brock Lesnar vs Hong Man Choi. Cant wait for both fights!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That fight against Gannon wasnt really an MMA fight, it was a street fight. Im sure from Kimbo's ghetto or whatever streets he grew up on, when a man gets knocked down its an unwritten rule you let him get back up and fight. Gannon pulled some cheap **** in that fight, but when you have a bare knuckle brawl dont expect there to be any well laid out rules. But by street fighting standards, you dont choke a guy out or ground and pound him. I'm sure his posse had never even seen stuff like that before. Kimbo's street fights are basically bare knucle boxing. It is funny however that Gannon beating Kimbo helped him get a fight in the UFC.
Nah, that fight had specific rules, which Gannon followed, and Kimbo did not.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Nah, that fight had specific rules, which Gannon followed, and Kimbo did not.
Well I guess you can take the fighter out of the ghetto, but not the ghetto out of the fighter. :hammer:

I'm sure this is why Dana White never signed Kimbo to fight. Dana obviously saw the the Gannon vs Kimbo fight.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Should be interesting. Kimbo hits extremely hard and anyone who has seen his fight against the other black guy in his backyard where he allows the guy to punch him twice in the face knows he can take a punch. The 4oz gloves will make it interesting for Mercer because you know he can take a punch but boxers are used to taking some shots so they can counter with a stronger one. You can't really do that in MMA as easily. If Mercer survives early on, he is going to beat Kimbo down. Kimbo's cardio is HORRIBLE.

RugbyHooligan

RugbyHooligan

Awards
Kimbo is going to get his ass kicked.... sorry man, he is a good street fighter but lets see him fight a REAL trained fighter.

Gannon owned him, and if it wasn't for Kimbo's entourage protecting him, the fight would have been over fast.