-Marvin Eastman vs. Ray Sefo
-Melvin Manhoef vs. Yoon Dong Sik
-Johnnie Morton vs. Bernard Ackah
-Jake Shields vs. Ido Pariente
-Gina Carano vs. Jan Finney
-Nam Phan vs. Gesias Calvancanti
-Javier Vazquez vs. Katsuhiko Nagata
-Hideo Tokoro vs. Brad Pickett

Also rumored is Ricco Rodriguez vs. Antonio Silva, but that one isn't official yet.

Edit: Impressive more in terms of interesting matchups rather than talentwise.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That is looking excellent. Lots of good fights on their. At first glance, I would love to see Junior tested against Ricco, and see Sefo destroy Eastman again. Sefo=badass. Manhoef is always a pleasure to watch. I'd love to see him fight at 185 in UFC, he's such a ****ing machine. Calvacanti/Phan should be good. The Lesnar/Choi freakshow should be a damn good freakshow. Sakuraba/Royce should be exciting with hype alone. What a card, wow.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
ELite XC seems to have struck some partnering with them and a few fights will be shown on Showtime if I understand it correctly. Heros seems to be turning it up and wisely. The outflux of HW talent, now-foreign management, and rule changes for Pride could mean that K-1 really takes over in Japan.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Didn't realize this is in LA. Saku probably won't get medical clearance then. For some reason this Brock/Choi match really has me interested.

size

Awards
  • Established
For some reason this Brock/Choi match really has me interested.
I can understand why. Lesnar's wrestling is a high caliber and his strength is incredible. I look forward to seeing how he handles being on his back, his takedowns, and him having cross body on someone.

I guess Royce wanted a rematch with Saku. As always, i will be pulling for another victory for the Gracie Hunter.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
That's a helluva card.

Have you seen Might Mo, Alex? He's cut from the Hunt/Sefo mold of Somoans with rock chins and granite hands,Hunt not so much on the latter, he's the hardest puncher in K-1 right now. He's kind of the odd man out, just won the Hawaiian K-1 GP, too short to hit Choi and Schilt consistently, and the old guns like, that guy of whom I speak of often, are too faded to match him punch for punch now.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah Rogue, I've seen a good amount of Mighty Mo's fights. That KO he took against that 175lb thai guy who's name escapes me was brutal. I've also seen him KO Goodridge, and your twin brother "The White Buffalo":twisted: I think I remember hearing that he KO'd Hong Man Choi somewhat recently? Anyways I'm thinking Choi Mu Bae is in for a sherlacking. Remember what Kharitonov did to Choi, damn. Choi does have pretty decent wrestling so we'll see how MM is with the TD defense. Definitely looking forward to that fight too.

On sherdog they say Junior Silva will likely face Jonathon Wiezerok. That kind of sucks, would've rather seen him fight Ricco. Either way I really like watching Junior fight.

This really is an interesting card. Vasquez's ground game is fun to watch, but I'm not sure about him fighting Nagata, as I remember Nagata being much bigger than Javy. Pickett is an entertaining brit with KO power at lightweight, he'll have to stay away from Tokoro's ground though. Jake Shields always brings it, although Okami was robbed against him. Never heard of his opponent. To top it off we get to see Carano again, who is an entertaining fighter and not bad to look at.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
is that Johnnie Morton, formerly of the NFL?

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
is that Johnnie Morton, formerly of the NFL?
It is.

I also wonder if Saku can get clearance to fight. And seeing how it's under CSAC regulations I don't think 5 rounds are permitted unless it's a championship bout but I'll check into the matter later. So, who's going to attend?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Gina Carano's off the card due to intestinal illness according to MMA weekly.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Man, that sucks. I hate to think about her...or any lady...having intestinal illness. Couldn't they disguise it as something else?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Man, that sucks. I hate to think about her...or any lady...having intestinal illness. Couldn't they disguise it as something else?
MMAWeekly reports that due to her obsession with online stud, Beowulf, she cannot focus on her training and is forced to pull out of the event.

There is that better

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Man those guys at MMA Weekly are quite the pranksters. Thanks for revealing the truth. :cheers:

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I gotta say the Royce/SAk match if it happens will be nostalgic, but I am interested in seeing what lesnar can do

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
MMAWeekly reports that due to her obsession with online stud, Beowulf, she cannot focus on her training and is forced to pull out of the event.

There is that better
Was he balls deep in guts?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Was he balls deep in guts?
Haha, indeed.

Beo, the second article won't open for non-members of MMAweekly. What was the gist of it?

THese Japanese orgs seem to be unprepared for the highly regulated and organized style of American MMA events. This would be a disaster for K-1 as far as penetrating the US market if it fell apart.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Choi has been declined for now due to medical tests:

Choi's license denial jeopardizes MMA card

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
May 22, 2007

Former WWE wrestling champion Brock Lesnar may have to wait to make his professional mixed martial arts debut since his scheduled opponent, Hong Man Choi, was denied a license for medical reasons by the California Athletic Commission.

Mike Kogan of FEG USA, one of the card's promoters, confirmed Tuesday that Choi was declined by the commission but said he did not know why.

The 7-foot-2, nearly 400-pound South Korean is scheduled to face Lesnar in the main event of a June 2 card at the Los Angeles Coliseum. Kogan said the card will go on as planned and that a fight between Royce Gracie and Kazushi Sakuraba would be the main event.

Kogan said he plans to bring Choi to another doctor Wednesday for a second opinion. If he receives a favorable opinion from that doctor, Kogan said he will ask the commission to reconsider its ruling.

ADVERTISEMENT

Kogan said he understands that it is unusual, but said he hopes that if he can prove Choi is fit to fight, the commission would reverse itself because of the significance of the event.

"I think they'll understand this is not just another fight on the card," Kogan said. "At this point, they have his medicals and they denied his license, but there are procedures in place for repudiating that.

"I don't have time to be (expletive) around and wasting time if I know the guy can't fight. I won't put a guy in there who isn't right to fight. I think he can fight, because he fought (in a kickboxing show) in Hawaii on April 28 and he's all right. But if the second doctor comes to the same conclusion as the first, I have to deal with it."

The first portion of the card is scheduled to be televised by Showtime, with the second portion, including the Choi-Lesnar fight and the Gracie-Sakuraba match, planned for pay-per-view.

Gary Shaw of Elite XC, another of the card's promoters, was surprised to learn of Choi's problems late Tuesday, but said he is confident the card will be held.

However, Shaw said that if Choi can't fight he hopes FEG has an opponent for Lesnar, who is a big attraction.

"I'm not concerned about the thing actually coming off," Shaw said. "Showtime will go with its card and I'm sure the pay-per-view card will go, but so many people were looking forward to that fight. If the giant can't pass the medicals, and it sounds like he hasn't, I hope they can find the right replacement because Brock Lesnar is a big part of the card and people want to see him fight."

FEG has yet to receive its promoter's license from the California commission, but Kogan scoffed at a report earlier Tuesday by The Fight Network (www.thefightnetwork.com) that the card might be called off because of that.

The Fight Network's report said FEG has failed to post a bond to cover the fighters' purses and that the card will not be held if it is not posted soon.

Kogan would not comment on that part of the report, but said FEG is "a substantial promoter that puts on shows all over the world" and said he is working closely with commission officials.

"I know they have to get people to hit their website, but to me, that is insulting because I'm a professional promoter," Kogan said. "Does the commission have certain things it wants from us? Yes. Have we been filing things with the commission? Yes. Will we be licensed? Yes.

"Why would I sell tickets to the largest venue in the country to hold a pay-per-view, sell the worldwide rights and then sit on my (expletive) and not do what I need to do to be licensed? It's crazy. This is a process and we're going through that process and we will be licensed."

Armando Garcia, the executive officer of the California commission, could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Kevin Iole covers boxing and mixed martial arts for Yahoo! Sports. Send Kevin a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm not a member, and I was able to read it. That's weird. Anyway, the last thing I saw on the matter stated that the financials were submitted...and it looked better...until they realized that they still had not received the proper statements. Now, with Choi having clearance issues, this is looking very bad.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sherdog has reported that Sakuraba passed his medical exam and Saku-Royce II is a go. I'm actually really surprised . Brock Lesnar will be facing Min Soo Kim.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sherdog has reported that Sakuraba passed his medical exam and Saku-Royce II is a go. I'm actually really surprised . Brock Lesnar will be facing Min Soo Kim.
I'll be watching Junior Silva's fight, as well as Jake Shields' fight on Showtime, sure as hell aint ordering the PPV portion. I'll definitely check it out later though. Kim is a tough dude, but he does not win often. He's really been fed some tough fights thus far.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'll be watching Junior Silva's fight, as well as Jake Shields' fight on Showtime, sure as hell aint ordering the PPV portion. I'll definitely check it out later though. Kim is a tough dude, but he does not win often. He's really been fed some tough fights thus far.
It seems like a tougher fight for Brock. Before he was fighting a guy with little in the way of a ground game, now he's fighting a judoka with some MMA experience.
I may see if I can find a bar carrying it (doubtful), but yeah I won't order it either.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Ironically, I'll be attending the show as I got two free tix. Cheaper to go than order the PPV.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Full Card:
Brock Lesnar (Pictures) vs. Min Soo Kim (Pictures)
Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures) vs. Royce Gracie (Pictures)
Siala Siliga (Pictures) vs. Ruben Villareal (Pictures)
Melvin Manhoef (Pictures) vs. Dong Sik Yoon (Pictures)
Johnnie Morton (Pictures) vs. Bernard Ackah
Tim Persey (Pictures) vs. Jonathan Wiezorek (Pictures)
Jake Shields (Pictures) vs. Ido Pariente
Gesias Calvancanti (Pictures) vs. Nam Phan (Pictures)
Brad Pickett (Pictures) vs. Hideo Tokoro (Pictures)

***Junior Silva is no longer on the card.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wow, what a nose dive this card took. No more Junior, Sefo, Mighty Mo, Carano, etc. All the best fights are gone. I don't care about Saku/Royce much. The only fights I care about are Manhoeff's and I guess it'll be interesting to see what Lesnar has. What a disappointment.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
GracieFighter.com reports that the reason Gabe Ruediger will not fight on the K-1 Dynamite show is because he was declared ‘mentally unfit to fight.’

From fightopinion.com

:icon_lol:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I guess I am the only one that watched this card last night, but it actually was a really good event. The Manhoef/Yoon fight was one of the better fights that I have seen in a while and there were some sick KO's in the earlier fights. I though that Morton was going to be comatose for a while...it was scary.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I guess I am the only one that watched this card last night, but it actually was a really good event. The Manhoef/Yoon fight was one of the better fights that I have seen in a while and there were some sick KO's in the earlier fights. I though that Morton was going to be comatose for a while...it was scary.
I saw the clip of that, crazy ko. I give Morton credit, he was aggressive, just is not a real fighter. What did you think of Lesnar?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw the clip of that, crazy ko. I give Morton credit, he was aggressive, just is not a real fighter. What did you think of Lesnar?
There really is nothing you can get from that fight other than he is huge, athletic, and hits hard. Still, questions his technique, cardio, and ability to take a punch have not been answered.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
There really is nothing you can get from that fight other than he is huge, athletic, and hits hard. Still, questions his technique, cardio, and ability to take a punch have not been answered.
I just got to see the video of it. I agree, his opponent leaves a lot to be desired. I think with the right camp he could do very well. He is an absolute horse though

size

Awards
  • Established
Morton was out. To make matters worse, he refused to give a doping sample after the fight.

I thought Lesnar looked good. He easily caught the leg and moved for a takedown and looked very physically strong on the ground. I look forward to seeing him fight in the future.

Jake Shields continued to look like a top fighter. His smoothness on the ground is really impressive.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
The Manhoef fight was definitely good. He's an animal, just needs work on the ground. That fight was a good example of what is wrong with the ring. Manhoef was grabbing ropes like crazy...not to mention falling through.

Morton definitely went for it, but either he saw red and forgot everything he learned, or he has a LONG way to go.

Lesnar's fight showed absolutely nothing. I hope they do put him against Choi in Japan. I want to see how he handles getting hit.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Apparently, Brock is on Team Dagger. He didn't hesitate and showed some decent wrestling. I'm hoping he'll develop into a Kerr-esqe smashing machine, but we'll have to see.

Morton got brutalized. He needs more time to train, and if he comes back, he'll have it with the suspension size mentioned.

For those who have seen it, how did you score Royce-Saku II?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Morton tested positive.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Former NFL football player Johnnie Morton (Pictures) has tested positive for anabolic steroids following his mixed martial arts debut on June 2, California State Athletic Commission Executive Officer Armando Garcia informed Sherdog.com Wednesday afternoon.

Knocked out in 38 seconds by the Ivory Coast's Bernard Ackah (Pictures), Morton was carried out of the ring on a stretcher. The 13-year NFL veteran declined to take a post-fight drug test and was immediately placed on indefinite suspension. As part of the state's anti-doping policy, the CSAC also withheld his $100,000 purse.

In order to receive a license to fight, Morton, 35, was required to undergo a pre-fight urinalysis. According to Garcia, Sample A came back as positive for a "very elevated T/E ratio, which is testosterone. And that is 83.9 -- the normal industry standard for an athlete is 6."

Garcia said Sample B confirmed the results, and "that is consistent with anabolic steroid use."

Morton faces the revocation of his license as well as a maximum $2,500 fine. Disciplinary action is on hold until the CSAC receives the results for Morton's drugs of abuse tests. Garcia said Morton was notified via letter several days after the fight, and that he has 10 days to respond if he wishes to receive a hearing in front of the commission. As of Wednesday afternoon, Morton had not responded.

Calls to Morton's agent were not immediately returned.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
He did look insanely ripped and huge. Hopefully, this will shed some light on how bad the NFL's testing is because there is NO WAY that they are as clean as everyone believes.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The NFL is very clean today versus the way things were from the '60s through '95 when exacting and random testing, on and off season, came into effect.

Back in the day it was everything done heavily. Now it's GH, IGF and a moderate boost in the T/E ratio, nothing as extreme as Morton's numbers.

People think that Gear is the difference between the size and speed of today's players versus the old days, they are wrong. It's the improvement in strength and conditioning programs from junior high and up, today's HS coaches are running better programs than the colleges in the eighties were and it's the supplements available.

When I was in college the regime was things like excess wind sprints to catabolism, Gatorade and Steak were our supps. Plyometrics? Creatine? Even Whey, forget about it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
:jaw: Gracie did look a lot more cut, but woah.

%%%%%%%%%%%%
Mixed martial arts icon Royce Gracie (Pictures), best known as the slender gi-wearing Brazilian who twisted oversized competitors into knots during the early days of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, tested positive for traces of Nandrolone, a commonly used anabolic steroid, following his decision win over Kazushi Sakuraba (Pictures), June 2 in Los Angeles, the California State Athletic Commission revealed Thursday.

Gracie (14-3-3) has been suspended from June 2, 2007 through May 30, 2008, and is fined $2,500, the maximum penalty by the CSAC. The 40-year-old member of the legendary fighting family has until July 13 to appeal the suspension to the CSAC.

Calls to Gracie's representatives were not immediately returned.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it wasn't a high concentration, and isn't nandrolone highly anabolic, but pretty useless for strength? If I recall, I believe it is very good for joints. I'm guessing he used it for that. I think a lot of people try to defend nandro positives as being tainted from the beef supply. If it is only traces, that may be a legit cause.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like it wasn't a high concentration, and isn't nandrolone highly anabolic, but pretty useless for strength? If I recall, I believe it is very good for joints. I'm guessing he used it for that. I think a lot of people try to defend nandro positives as being tainted from the beef supply. If it is only traces, that may be a legit cause.
They give nandro to cattle? I thought it was tren. I think you're right about the joints. It would be a weird choice also considering it stays in your system about as long as anything as I recall.