Koscheck-St. Pierre probably at UFC 74

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Dana White Validates UFCjunkie.com Report of St. Pierre vs. Koscheck
Posted by UFC Junkie on April 23, 2007 at 11:40 am ET

After getting reports from both fighters’ camps, UFCjunkie.com reported last week that former UFC welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre (13-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC) would likely face rising contender Josh Koscheck (8-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) in his next UFC bout.

Our report took one step closer to fruition over the weekend when UFC president Dana White stated that he predicts the St. Pierre vs. Koscheck fight will, in fact, happen.

The Fight Network reported the possibility today:

White announced that [Matt] Serra will join Matt Hughes as a competing coach on the next season of Spike TV’s “The Ultimate Fighter” reality series — which begins shooting this Spring for a Fall broadcast — and predicted that St. Pierre would likely face Josh Koscheck in the interim.

The fight is expected to take place in August at UFC 74, which will feature a main event of UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture vs. Gabriel Gonzaga. Gonzaga earned the title shot by upsetting Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic over the weekend at UFC 70.

Although that heavyweight battle will earn top billing, the St. Pierre-Koscheck could be just as big of a draw with two of the organization’s most popular fighters.

St. Pierre lost his belt during his first-ever title defense earlier this month to Matt Serra at UFC 69. At the same event, Koscheck scored an upset of bitter rival Diego Sanchez to move him into the list of top-five UFC welterweights.

For more information about this possible match, check out our previous story or the UFCjunkie.com “UFC Event Rumors” section.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Looks like a good match and hopefully GSP will get his high-paced "riddum" going. I want to see if GSP can stuff Koscheck's takedowns.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'm going back to doing editorials, since you've stolen my spot as the resident copy & paste newsboy.

JK, I'm picking GSP. Georgey is gonna come in an lean mean fighting machine.

Hopefully, Alexovich disagrees, he's a jinx with the picks, poor predictive mojo; evil wrong Hoodoo.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I will pick Kos, just to ensure a victory for Georgey Boy.

Really it is a tough fight to call. GSP is the better all around fighter, but can Kos avoid the strikes and outwrestle GSP? More then likely GSP will create enough opportunities to blast Kos with strikes, and end the fight through TKO. I'm still picking Kos though:fool2:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
:rasp: Grow a pair, pal. :twisted:

I'm waiting for Hater Cnorris to post his picks on the next contest, let's see if there's any real predictive insight to back all the easy way out gash & bash.

Got game, Chuckie?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CC is rumored to be on this card as well. I hope he comes out angry like he did against Aleks after he lost to Randleman.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
:rasp: Grow a pair, pal. :twisted:

I'm waiting for Hater Cnorris to post his picks on the next contest, let's see if there's any real predictive insight to back all the easy way out gash & bash.

Got game, Chuckie?
I pick GSP by submission, and I predict you lose at life.
:nutkick:

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I swear if Koscheck beats GSP I am done with MMA lol. I really just have it out for Kos and I want to see him get DESTROYED! Ahhhh.

I think the Gonzaga/Couture fight is going to be amazing.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
I hope GSP comes out with ill intentions, and puts it on Kos after his last play it safe performance I'm not much of a Kos fan.
I think GSP should keep it stand up to stay away from Josh's GnP. But that was his same MO last fight and look what happened. I would normally think Kos only chance would be on the ground. But who the hell knows these days.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I actually would like to see GSP put Kos on his back and pound him like he did Sherk. Of course, this is easier said than done.

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
I like Kosh and his lay and pray lol j/k but GSP should win, of course I said this about the fight with Serra we all know how that ended up:jaw:

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I swear if Koscheck beats GSP I am done with MMA lol. I really just have it out for Kos and I want to see him get DESTROYED! Ahhhh.

I think the Gonzaga/Couture fight is going to be amazing.
I agree about Koscheck. Koscheck is the most boring pile in MMA and its too bad he didnt just go to WWE. If he wins, I am going to drive to Iowa and put superdrol in Hughes' water well on his farm. I will also get him a whizzinator so he can pass his drug test. I would be the savior of MMA. Well that is if Hughes gets past Serra. Serra is a tougher matchup for Hughes than he was GSP, and we all saw what happened.

I agree on the Gonzaga/Couture fight too. Other than Chuck/Rampage and possible Shogun vs Hendo, thats one of the biggest fights I look forward to. Its a shame Kampman hurt his knee and cant fight Franklin now, was looking forward to that too.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I agree about Koscheck. Koscheck is the most boring pile in MMA and its too bad he didnt just go to WWE. If he wins, I am going to drive to Iowa and put superdrol in Hughes' water well on his farm. I will also get him a whizzinator so he can pass his drug test. I would be the savior of MMA. Well that is if Hughes gets past Serra. Serra is a tougher matchup for Hughes than he was GSP, and we all saw what happened.

I agree on the Gonzaga/Couture fight too. Other than Chuck/Rampage and possible Shogun vs Hendo, thats one of the biggest fights I look forward to. Its a shame Kampman hurt his knee and cant fight Franklin now, was looking forward to that too.
Damn, you really hate Kos. I might hate his personality worse then you hate his fighting style. Can't stand the guy, but I don't think he's THAT boring. I think Hughes will dominate Serra, and Father Time will teach Gonzaga a lesson.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Damn, you really hate Kos. I might hate his personality worse then you hate his fighting style. Can't stand the guy, but I don't think he's THAT boring. I think Hughes will dominate Serra, and Father Time will teach Gonzaga a lesson.
I hope Hughes and Couture win too, but my hate for Koscheck really is based on his personality more than anything. I dont like his fighting style either, but thats just a side note. Its easy to rip on him about since I've only seen maybe two decent fights from him, Diego vs Kos 1 and against Jonathan Goulet. And ive seen all his fights since he entered TUF. He just is a douche bag. Not very original, but I see him as the Giant Douche on that South Park episode.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I agree with you 100% on him being a douche. It was pretty entertaining when Leben(who I dislike also) started making fun of Kos' lowrider jeans, Kos' reply is something like "get with the times man this is what is cool", what a follower douchebag. His wrestling is outstanding though, and he is driven. I would absolutely hate to have him as WW champ.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm going to pick Gonzaga for the upset at this point. May rethink this later, though.

It's hard to like Kos. Like when he told "those kids on internet calling me a LNPer" to f- off basically in a post-fight interview with Rogan. Rogan goes "Josh Koscheck,....getting on the internet". Way to let everyone know it bothers you what they think and that you're insecure. Watching him shoot for a takedown is impressive, though.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree with you 100% on him being a douche. It was pretty entertaining when Leben(who I dislike also) started making fun of Kos' lowrider jeans, Kos' reply is something like "get with the times man this is what is cool", what a follower douchebag. His wrestling is outstanding though, and he is driven. I would absolutely hate to have him as WW champ.
HAHA yeah what a douche with the lowrider jeans. That was hilarious. I only liked Leben because he was the anti-Koscheck on the show. Leben was a B1tch when he lost, but it was TUF1. For all he knew it automatically eliminated him from ever competing in the UFC when Koscheck layed on him for 10 minutes. Fighting was his life, at least he was passionate about it.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'm going to pick Gonzaga for the upset at this point. May rethink this later, though.

It's hard to like Kos. Like when he told "those kids on internet calling me a LNPer" to f- off basically in a post-fight interview with Rogan. Rogan goes "Josh Koscheck,....getting on the internet". Way to let everyone know it bothers you what they think and that you're insecure. Watching him shoot for a takedown is impressive, though.
Exactly. When I see Koscheck nuthuggers on the internet, I always have it in the back of my mind that "This person must be Koscheck himself to be a douche bag nuthugger. How else do you explain his love for Koscheck?" Honestly thats what I think some times. There is nothing to like about that douche. I dont give a **** and I am not impressed with his take downs because all he does is lay on the guy once he gets them down. I hope the guy gets run over by a truck honestly.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

What Rogan said internally was "Josh Koscheck,.... tremendous loser". Sucks when pricks like Kos are so damn good at stuff. I feel like he deserves to be awful at everything for having such a painful personality. If only that were the way things worked.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
What Rogan said internally was "Josh Koscheck,.... tremendous loser". Sucks when pricks like Kos are so damn good at stuff. I feel like he deserves to be awful at everything for having such a painful personality. If only that were the way things worked.
The best part about Koscheck is the fact that he proved his insecurity during that interview. If he cares what people on forums say, he doesnt have a very supportive group around him and he is a pathetic insecure MMA fighter.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Haha I agree with everything everyone has said thus far about Kos. I would have rather pulled my teeth out than watch Sanchez vs. Kos again. I think it was bad for Diego to go down with De La Hoya as well. I think Sanchez is a great striker, don't get me wrong, but I also think he has tremendous talent on the ground, look at the reversals he had with a master of judo/submissions, Kary Parysian. I feel Diego would have done just fine on the ground. If you look at the end of the first round he reversed it anyways! Kos loves those haymakers and Diego's reach is horrible, he should have shot for the takedown and not circled the entire time.

Kos reminds me of the Brazillian, Assuerio Silva, great takedowns, good on the ground, but has no idea how to ground and pound. If you guys saw Silva fighting Kongo in UFC 70 than you know what I mean.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I'm no fan of Kos' personality and the blanketing he has down, but I'll give him credit, his standup has improved nicely, IMO, he's a work in progress that has the potential to be a complete championship level fighter. With increased confidence and skills in his hands and the base of great wrestling, the Good GNP has to come, it's an almost inevitable progression.

I won't knock him for fighting with a smart boring strategy against Sanchez, yet, when all is said and done, winning is the fighter's first and foremost objective. Now if he keeps playing it safe with should have developed skills, like Tim Sylvia and AA who are mostly protecting their lack of broader skills, then it becomes an issue to me. Those two have been in the game long enough to be more complete and show it than Kos has.

size

Awards
  • Established
I think GSP will dispose of Koscheck in a similar manner as he did against Hughes. GSP will keep a distance and pick him apart with low inside and outside leg kicks. This will were down Koschecks ability to shoot and then GSP will knock him out.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
It's always difficult to speculate how a fighter will come back after a loss, especially a KO. But I expect GSP to take it, though of course it would be no surprise if Kos gets a dec.

Why anyone gets riled up over comments made on the internet if beyond me but disrespect is disrespect. Tito also let's people get the better of him even addressing it in his post-fight interviews.

I guess I'm the only one that hopes Serra smashed Hughes though. I want him to prove his win wasn't a fluke and he is a deserved champ.

I'll go with Gonzaga too as his ground skills are good and will pose a problem with Randy eeking out a GnP dec. His size may also play an part but looks like Randy is bulking up and might come in around 240 which I think will be a mistake.

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
after everything that GSP has said towards his fight with Serra, I hope Kos whoops him. I dont see it happening, but it would put GSP back to earth

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
after everything that GSP has said towards his fight with Serra, I hope Kos whoops him. I dont see it happening, but it would put GSP back to earth
I missed what he said. What did he say?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I missed what he said. What did he say?
He made a bunch of excuses. He wasn't comfortable with his camp, he only trained 2 weeks, I think he said he was hurt too. I'll try to find exactly what he said. He basically tried to nullify Serra's victory.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Here's Serra's response.

############
“Georges St. Pierre is a pathetic liar. He stood up after the fight like a man and admitted he got beat. Now this bull****? How do you do a total 180? It’s so disheartening. I earned this. I worked my friggin’ ass off for this fight. All I did was give him respect and now he wants to save face by ****ting on me? All I heard before the fight was how he was going to train like he never trained before and that he had to be absolutely perfect, and now he says he didn’t train. So which is it? Are you a liar now or a liar then? Everything is a cliché with this guy. Stop reading from the ****** for once and speak from the heart.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s a good, talented fighter but he got beat. I know it’s hard for his camp to believe that Superman lost, but he did. Now they want to say it’s because he wasn’t in shape? If he wasn’t in shape he wouldn’t have been able to go five rounds but he didn’t even last three minutes so I don’t want to hear it. Maybe it’s his entourage — he’s led around by a bunch of morons, well except for his kickboxing coach that guy gets it. But the rest of them they got him convinced he’s a God. He must be a mental midget, which makes us about even since I’m a physical midget. Hey what can I say, I wasn’t blessed with height.

Anyway, for a guy who preaches honor and character, he sure isn’t showing any. I miss the old GSP. I was just as big a fan of his as everyone else. Where is he? You know, that guy who was everything Matt Hughes wasn’t. That makes it even worse. We already knew Matt Hughes was an ******* but Georges was supposed to be one of the good guys. Now we see what he’s really made of. He was calling me his friend before the fight and now all of the sudden I was never anything more than an acquaintance. Well **** you, I don’t want to be your friend. Hit the road Frenchy.”

MrTotality

MrTotality

Banned
Awards
  • Established
He made a bunch of excuses. He wasn't comfortable with his camp, he only trained 2 weeks, I think he said he was hurt too. I'll try to find exactly what he said. He basically tried to nullify Serra's victory.
you got it, thanks for putting it up. GSP was a joke for those comments

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Yeah I watched the video that showed how he was training harder than ever, showed him in action, and was talking about how GSP said he can't take him lightly, etc. What a ****.

I actually like Serra.

Why is Matt H and a$$hole? He always seemed kinda cool to me, is there something I don't know about?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I watched the video that showed how he was training harder than ever, showed him in action, and was talking about how GSP said he can't take him lightly, etc. What a ****.

I actually like Serra.

Why is Matt H and a$$hole? He always seemed kinda cool to me, is there something I don't know about?
On TUF 2, people started thinking he was an a-hole, but personally I thought he was just a no-nonsense, great work ethic type of guy that expected the same from his guys. There were some terrrible fights that season and Hughes would sort of turn on his guys after about 2 rounds if they were basically just standing there like deer in the headlights (Mike Whitehead, Tom Murphy). With Whitehead, who trained at Millitech with him, he would say things like, "yep don't even try for the takedown. Just wait for time to run out so that you can go home." (by the 3rd round after little action) He was just pissed at his guys for not leaving it on the mat IMO.

Hughes has come off as kind of cocky lately. On TUF 4, Serra kept talking about it so people bought into it. Whether he is or is not, I like Hughes. His second fight with Trigg is maybe the greatest comeback ever and the fight that turned me from a casual fan to a hardcore fan.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
His second fight with Trigg is maybe the greatest comeback ever and the fight that turned me from a casual fan to a hardcore fan.
I second this. It was after this fight that I started watching regularly.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
On TUF 2, people started thinking he was an a-hole, but personally I thought he was just a no-nonsense, great work ethic type of guy that expected the same from his guys. There were some terrrible fights that season and Hughes would sort of turn on his guys after about 2 rounds if they were basically just standing there like deer in the headlights (Mike Whitehead, Tom Murphy). With Whitehead, who trained at Millitech with him, he would say things like, "yep don't even try for the takedown. Just wait for time to run out so that you can go home." (by the 3rd round after little action) He was just pissed at his guys for not leaving it on the mat IMO.

Hughes has come off as kind of cocky lately. On TUF 4, Serra kept talking about it so people bought into it. Whether he is or is not, I like Hughes. His second fight with Trigg is maybe the greatest comeback ever and the fight that turned me from a casual fan to a hardcore fan.
Yeah that comeback was RIDICULOUS. The best comeback I've ever seen. I like him no matter what as well.

I like the no BS trainers. I feel bad for the type of guys that BJ Penn has to put up with. That asian kid Wang definitely deserved the boot, he didn't listen to $hit that he said. The entire fight BJ will scrreeeaammm in your corner trying to help you and it pissed me off no one listened to him. He is a seasoned veteran!

PS- I though the fact that Corey Hill won that last fight was BS!!!! Those weak jabs he was throwing got him points that he shouldn't have gotten.