Holy Cro Cop?!?! Wtf?!

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Nastiest knockout I have ever seen in my life!!!!!!!!!!!

:box: :box: :box: :jaw: :jaw: :jaw: :ntome: :ntome: :ntome:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I can't watch MMA anymore. All my favorites are getting KTFO.

bencozzy

Awards
sh!t it made my legs hurt!!

he looked pretty stabile after that happened, can we say nubian user?!

i wonder how his ACL will feel tommorow??

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
my god man i cant believe he was walking afterwards.
So many unforeseen upsets lately I'm glad I did not have any money on this.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Upsets galore as of recently, when will it end? I knew I should have put a little down on Gonzaga but who would have though it would end in that fashion?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As I said in the picks contest thread, I'm not watching MMA anymore. That's it, it's over for me.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I almost feel like a gf cheated on me. That's the only other time besides the match which we will never speak of again, and this CroCop debacle, that I have felt like this.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
It was such a devastating Ko that is what shocked me the most. He was leveled out of know where.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Crocop didn't look like himself. Once he was on the ground his guard was nothing. He usually flails around and uses his leg strength to keep the guy close or push him away. If Fedor loses his next fight I'm taking a break from MMA, its too much for me to handle emotionally.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think this is why you SHOULD watch MMA. The unpredictability is as real as it gets.
Yeah, I agree somewhat, but when it keeps happening, it's disorienting. Is it just that there so much new talent coming up in the sport or are guys taking opponents from other promotions lightly...or something beyond explanation?

What next Eilers KOs Nog?

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I'm never watching MMA again, ever.

GSP lost
Gomi lost
Lil nog lost
Arona lost
Cro Cop lost
Sanchez lost
Wand lost

I'm done.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Honestly I don't think he expected Gonzaga, who is a bit chubby, to be able to kick up to 6'3"!!! He was expecting that side kick and had nothing blocking his face. I never saw him being able to kick that high either!

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Crocop didn't look like himself. Once he was on the ground his guard was nothing. He usually flails around and uses his leg strength to keep the guy close or push him away. If Fedor loses his next fight I'm taking a break from MMA, its too much for me to handle emotionally.
Cro Cop looked sickly.

He only threw 1 kick, wtf?

He's usually thrown about 20. He didn't do anything on the ground.

Are you telling me Gonzaga is better than Fedor?

...no, Cro Cop just doesn't care anymore... or has AIDS... or something

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I almost feel like a gf cheated on me. That's the only other time besides the match which we will never speak of again, and this CroCop debacle, that I have felt like this.
If your gf cheats on you there is only one recourse. You must nail her mom. No way around it.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
So Hendo's Ko over Wand wasn't an upset?

But why are people getting so bent out of shape with the recent upsets? Do you really want to watch MMA if it's so predictable? Do the upsets somehow shake your core beliefs and perhaps make you question other aspects of your life that you thought were certainties too? I like these upsets as it just further reinforces the unpredictability of life. Sure, I look like a moron when I'm trying to explain who should win to my friends but they probably don't hold a very high opinion of me anyways. I guess people are disgruntled because they've invested a lot of time into the sport and it would be nice if it could be demonstrated via choosing victors or even how the fight may progress. But now any moron can take a stab in the dark and appear as knowledgeable as us.

I agree with Vince Mcmahon though that it does prevent the sport from growing as fast as it could. There needs to be icons to carry the sport as it's too much for a casual fan to keep up with. Of course it's easy to build up a poster boy in predetermined sports entertainment but not so with actual competitive sports. Although boxing has had it's fair share of questionable outcomes to build stars but look at it's current state.

Vtaper

Awards
The only way to settle these upsets and set things straight is to have gonzaga vs. sokoudjo(spelling?) with the winner fighting matt serra.::

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Well if fighters will stop taking their opponents lightly we wouldn't have that problem. They should know that the underdog is always going to train harder and that if they feel they are the underdog then more than likely they will train their weaknesses and change their gameplan. That is exactly what Gonzaga did, he became a better striker and it showed.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established

But why are people getting so bent out of shape with the recent upsets? Do you really want to watch MMA if it's so predictable? Do the upsets somehow shake your core beliefs and perhaps make you question other aspects of your life that you thought were certainties too? I like these upsets as it just further reinforces the unpredictability of life. Sure, I look like a moron when I'm trying to explain who should win to my friends but they probably don't hold a very high opinion of me anyways. I guess people are disgruntled because they've invested a lot of time into the sport and it would be nice if it could be demonstrated via choosing victors or even how the fight may progress. But now any moron can take a stab in the dark and appear as knowledgeable as us.

I agree with Vince Mcmahon though that it does prevent the sport from growing as fast as it could. There needs to be icons to carry the sport as it's too much for a casual fan to keep up with. Of course it's easy to build up a poster boy in predetermined sports entertainment but not so with actual competitive sports. Although boxing has had it's fair share of questionable outcomes to build stars but look at it's current state.

There needs to be some stability in MMA. You can't have every single fight being unpredictable, and there being no clear champions... this has to end. It is driving me insane. I'm seriously ready to stop watching it...

oh and subtract diaz from that list and place sanchez in his spot
also add wanderlei.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cro Cop looked sickly.

He only threw 1 kick, wtf?

He's usually thrown about 20.
That is because Gonzaga continuously circled away from Crocop's rear leg and Mirko blindly followed him instead of cutting him off. When your opponent is always moving to the outside of your lead leg it is tough to use any sort of round kick since your rear leg is out of range and there is little hip rotation available for your lead leg to generate much power.

I have to credit Gonzaga for going in with a very appropriate game plan for Crocop's style. I do, however, agree that Crocop did not seem to show up for this fight.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
So I guess with recent events Rampage is a sure lock over Liddell? :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I do not mind upsets, but I hate seeing my two favorite fighters, Wandy and CC, KTFO'd against fighters they should beat.

If Emelianenko, Fedor, loses, then I will know that there is no order to the universe.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The master of the high kick gets KO'd by a high kick!!

What in the hell is going on??

And what is CroCop's problem?? Did he just take this fight waaaaay too lightly?? That's how it appeared to me.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I just watched the fight, and my head is as loopy as yours. But lets just look at what happened...even though Im drunk and my typing sucks.

Gonzaga did the same thing Fedorf did. He brought the fight to CC nonstop. He circled away from CC's strenghth. CC should have had the presence of mind, as an elite striker, to adjust to what was happening.. .which is to say, he should have started throwing his right leg, which dismantled Yoshida, and was sufficient to hit some huge, Scadinavian K1 dude whose name I don't recall. Some leg/body kicks with the right probaby would have emasculated Napao's gameplan.

The first time CC threw a decent strike he got taken down. His defensive guard was decent considering what Gonzaga was bringing. I disagree with the above criticism, b/c elbows, and defending them, is utterly different than the distance needed for Fedor's GNP. CC took some legit punishment on the ground, and that probably set up the demise. I was actually a bit surprised that the fight was stood up, b/c Gojnzaga was pretty active.

Gonzaga did exactly what CC did not expect; Serra also did what GSP did not expect. The end is history.

Based on pre-fight interviews, CC kept saying he didn't want to jinx himself by looking past Gonzaga, but months ago he was already talking about winning this, beating Randy, and rematching Fedor. He obviously looked past Napao and Randy...just like GSP looked past Serra, any other comers, and was looking to MW and LHW belts.

These guys need to keep in mind that MMA is way too unpredictable to be overconfident and assume a win. Just b/c you never saw him throw a brutal HK doesn't mean he can't, and if he's the underdog, chances are he'll learn it before you fight him.

I love Mirko, but he made the same mistake against Randleman. The attitudes need to dissipate and make room for focusing on the basics. In my first week of Muay Thai, I learned that you should defend a body kick with your leg/knee, with the arm there to make up the difference, head protected below the fist and shoulder. My coach learned this at Chute Boxe, but Wanderlai didn't do it vs. CC. These guys need to focus on the fundamentals so they can remain champs.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
CC has looked very lackluster in both fights. Where is the pressure that used to KO Wandy? he is back to being a counter fighter instead of an aggressor.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Of course, CC isn't a champ, but most of us probalby agree that he shoudl be...soemewehwere.

I obviously need ot give i=uoupo my keywarriosrdonm

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think you're right Beo. If you lose by being pressured once like when Fedor beat him, learn from it and don't let it happen again. Chuck looked better against Randy in their last 2 fights after getting the pressure from him in the first. He tried to fix the holes. I think some may still be there, though.

Gonzaga had a great gameplan, but CC should have had an answer. And not training with a cage......

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, Gonzaga's kick didn't appear to have anything near the technical beauty of a CC HK, but it appeared the knob of his inner ankle bone caught the pressure point behind the ear.

Mirko definitely seemed to be feeling Gonzaga out, but one can't always assume that there will be time to do so.

Bad night for Team CC. Werdum needs to learn some TDs. I only saw one pathetic TD attempt.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think you're right Beo. If you lose by being pressured once like when Fedor beat him, learn from it and don't let it happen again. Chuck looked better against Randy in their last 2 fights after getting the pressure from him in the first and not being ready for it.

Gonzaga had a great gameplan, but CC should have had an answer. And not training with a cage......
I think not training with a cage was classic CC arrogance. He has the tools to be #1, but his ego gets in the way. I can't believe he didn't see the constant circling to the right and throw a right leg. Why not? Hospital vs cemetary: if the cemetary ain't happening, go for the hospital.

I'll be surprised if CC doesn't have a substantial injury to his leg. I was surprised he gave a post-fight interview. Let's hope he comes back strong and fights AA. I'd love to see that.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Someone help me make sense of it all!

What is going on??

Does this mean Franca could actually beat Sherk?!

I'm just stunned. How can you not train in a cage, CroCop?! And he looked completely unprepared for elbows, too!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Elbows were definitely a problem. He defended them well with his own elbow a few times, but didn't keep it up.

What can I say, us M*******s are too fvcking TUF! :D (yeah, that was sarcastic)

BTW, I heard Franca outwrestled and dryhumped Sherk in an underground NHB match last week :nutkick:

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
BTW, for those who think unpredictability is a problem, I've heard the argument that predictability in boxing is a problem. I don't know, but if CC destroyed Gonzaga, we wouldn't be nearly so worked up and curious, so who knows.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm calling it now- Rampage over Liddell via flying windmill kick.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Nope, Rampage by stank breath will be the deciding factor.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Fair enough.

But if Franca wins by Praying Mantis-style Kung-Fu chop or some sh*t I'm going to f*ckin' flip out.

ChiTown72

ChiTown72

Board Supporter
Awards
that is just nutts!!! i literally jumped out of my seat when i saw this....poor mirko :(

Niko

Board Supporter
Awards
The only way I could be more shocked by something is if Ralph Maccio would reprise his role as the Karate Kid, fight Fedor and crane kicks him for the KO.

Unreal what's going on this year.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
BTW, for those who think unpredictability is a problem, I've heard the argument that predictability in boxing is a problem.
Very much so; the favored boxer usually wins. Between the politics, arranged outcomes, and the fact that there is very little 'puncher's chance', boxing is very much a show, whereas MMA is more of an actual competition.

I do like a good display of the sweet science but I prefer the suspense of MMA.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I just woke up hung over after this crazy dream that Crocop got KO'd by a HK, and then I got on hear and drunken-babbled.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
*places hand on Beo's shoulder to brace him*

It was not a dream friend, was not a dream at all.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here's what actually happened. Dana hired Chuck to fly in there and poke Cro Cop in the eye before he got KO'd. Heres the proof.

Edit: Its Back!

I dont even consider anyone an underdog against an elite fighter any more, esp Rampage vs Chuck. But Chucks blazing fast eye poking speed shows maybe he has super powers.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Good point.

So it could go Rampage by flying windmill kick, Rampage by stank breath, or Chuck via Three Stooges-style eye poke.

WillB123

WillB123

Awards
CroCop looked very dissapointed at the end there when Rogaine was talking to him. Nasty landing that guy took...lets hope he isnt CroCrap now.