If you had...

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
any team in the US to train with who would it be?

They have to have MMA, ThaiBox, gi & no-gi grappling, and boxing.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
1) Militech Fighting
2) Team Quest
3) Greg Jackson's camp in New Mexico

I like how Tito trains too, but he's a **** and doesnt have enough fighters in his camp.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
yeah, Norris' list is pretty good as well as ATT. Team Quest would probably be the most popular choice right now after Hendo's win, Sok's wins, and former Quester Randy taking the belt back.....and let's not forget the Hermanator.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Which Team Quest? The primary ones are in Oregon and Cali. Not sure if Randy is still associated with Team Quest or where he primarily trains out of.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
I heard that Randy is all over. His gym in LV, Legends in Hollywood, and sometimes Team Quest.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wherever Charles 'Krazy Horse' Bennett trains. And Jas, don't you dare call Sokoudjou 'Sok', I will mongolian chop you into next week in the name of #39.

Kegger

Awards
ATT is one class-act organization with some great fighters. But I have to go with the guy who ran my academy, and who gave Ricardo Liborio his BJJ black belt.....Carlson Gracie Academy. Well at least it is still run by Carlson Jr. and Jeff Neal.:box:

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
ATT is one class-act organization with some great fighters. But I have to go with the guy who ran my academy, and who gave Ricardo Liborio his BJJ black belt.....Carlson Gracie Academy. Well at least it is still run by Carlson Jr. and Jeff Neal.:box:
Nevermind. I was going to ask if they do MMA, but then my brain fart cleared up.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
I like how Tito trains too, but he's a **** and doesnt have enough fighters in his camp.
not sure where i heard this, but when Tito trains and has fighters in his camp, each fighter they have there adds to the training of the other fighters, so theyll do more pushups and run farther / faster, so if youre there not pulling your weight you really are hurting the rest of the guys.

My first choice would be Team Quest, but i really like the way Tito trained his guys on TUF for that season.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Seems like Tito's methods would easily lead to overtraining. Some people can probably do it, but I bet Tito's camp is bad for a lot of people.

I have no idea what camp I would choose, but I'd like to train MT with Rob Kaman. Chute Boxe in the US might be interesting, but we've yet to see what sort of quality is going on there.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think having a stable full of champions and dominant fighters to sparr with and train against every day would be an incredible. Thats why I would go with Militich. I know a lot of people hate on Hughes, UFC heavyweights and corn field hicks, but wtf else you going to do in Iowa. It would be a great place to train.

And of course they have a proven record of producing champions and great fighters for years. Jens Pulver, Robbie Lawler, Matt Hughes, Spencer Fisher, Tim Sylvia and they have great IFL fighters like Ben Rothwell. They train good wrestlers, strikers, and submission fighters. If I was 205, I wouldnt train with them due to the lack of LHW's in their camp, but if you are 170-185 I think they have the best camp. Anyways I dont train MMA so WTF do I know.

:cheers: to Savage, Minnesota represent! Minnesota Martial Arts = MMA

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think having a stable full of champions and dominant fighters to sparr with and train against every day would be an incredible. Thats why I would go with Militich. I know a lot of people hate on Hughes, UFC heavyweights and corn field hicks, but wtf else you going to do in Iowa. It would be a great place to train.

And of course they have a proven record of producing champions and great fighters for years. Jens Pulver, Robbie Lawler, Matt Hughes, Spencer Fisher, Tim Sylvia and they have great IFL fighters like Ben Rothwell. They train good wrestlers, strikers, and submission fighters. If I was 205, I wouldnt train with them due to the lack of LHW's in their camp, but if you are 170-185 I think they have the best camp. Anyways I dont train MMA so WTF do I know.

:cheers: to Savage, Minnesota represent! Minnesota Martial Arts = MMA
I think that the Miletich camp is the most overrated camp in MMA. Outside of Hughes, they have never produced a dominant fighter (Horn, Lawler, etc. are good, but nowhere near dominant).

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I think that the Miletich camp is the most overrated camp in MMA. Outside of Hughes, they have never produced a dominant fighter (Horn, Lawler, etc. are good, but nowhere near dominant).
Would you say Team Quest has produced more dominant fighters then MFS? Lindland, Tanner, Hendo, Couture vs. Franklin, Hughes, Horn, Jens, Lawler, Sylvia, Miletich. Tough call.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Horn, Lawler arent dominant?
79-15 -5 record isnt dominant? Whats your definition of dominant? winning 100% of your fights. And Lawler is a dominant badass. KTFO Trigg is a dominant fighter. So what these guys havent won Pride/UFC championships. They are proven fighters with great records. Just because the San Diego Chargers didnt win the superbowl, 14-2 record in the makes them dominant. And to not look at Tim Silvia, and his 23 - 3 record and call him anything but a great dominant fighter is just ignorant. With your standards, you could probably argue Fedor is "slightly dominant".
Militich is not over rated, maybe over hyped by Goldberg. They are one of the best camps without a doubt in the U.S. And Their IFL team has some great fighters too. Miletich Silverbacks

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Horn, Lawler arent dominant?
79-15 -5 record isnt dominant? Whats your definition of dominant? winning 100% of your fights. And Lawler is a dominant badass. KTFO Trigg is a dominant fighter. So what these guys havent won Pride/UFC championships. They are proven fighters with great records. Just because the San Diego Chargers didnt win the superbowl, 14-2 record in the makes them dominant. And to not look at Tim Silvia, and his 23 - 3 record and call him anything but a great dominant fighter is just ignorant. With your standards, you could probably argue Fedor is "slightly dominant".
Militich is not over rated, maybe over hyped by Goldberg. They are one of the best camps without a doubt in the U.S. And Their IFL team has some great fighters too. Miletich Silverbacks
Horn, Lawler, and Sylvia are not dominant fighters; good fighters, yes, however, they are not even close to being dominant. Horn has a good record, but so does Travis Fulton...do you think he is dominant?

Saying Sylvia is dominant is hilarious. He may have been UFC champ, but their HW division was crap. It is like being the valedictorian of summer school, is that a prestigious award?

Lawler, as much as I like to watch him fight, cannot hang with the elite MW in the world. Hendo, Lindland, Silva, Franklin, Kang, Okami could all beat him. He is a top-10 fighter, but not a dominant fighter.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Going 23-3 against the even the 2nd best HW division is dominant. Im not saying he's the worlds greatest fighter, and apparently you think thats what dominant means. Dominant according to the dictionary is "occupying or being in a commanding or elevated position." So what, the Chicago Bears won in the ****ty NFC, Id call them dominant to matter who their competition was. They sure werent the best, and there were prob 5 better teams than them, but they still beat a large majority of their opponents and were dominant.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Horn, Lawler, and Sylvia are not dominant fighters; good fighters, yes, however, they are not even close to being dominant. Horn has a good record, but so does Travis Fulton...do you think he is dominant?

Saying Sylvia is dominant is hilarious. He may have been UFC champ, but their HW division was crap. It is like being the valedictorian of summer school, is that a prestigious award?

Lawler, as much as I like to watch him fight, cannot hang with the elite MW in the world. Hendo, Lindland, Silva, Franklin, Kang, Okami could all beat him. He is a top-10 fighter, but not a dominant fighter.
I would agree, especially on the Sylvia thought. He fought sub-par fighters for most of his career and won in unconvincing fashion most often. Dominance is about both who you beat and how you beat them. As Rodja said, Tim Sylvia has a 23-3 record against a ridiculously terrible HW division which is only now starting to bring in top level talent. I would think that is fairly evident when even the former champion of that division was consistently ranked the #5 HW in the world during his 'reign'.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Going 23-3 against the even the 2nd best HW division is dominant. Im not saying he's the worlds greatest fighter, and apparently you think thats what dominant means. Dominant according to the dictionary is "occupying or being in a commanding or elevated position." So what, the Chicago Bears won in the ****ty NFC, Id call them dominant to matter who their competition was. They sure werent the best, and there were prob 5 better teams than them, but they still beat a large majority of their opponents and were dominant.
So beating Cabbage, Gan McGee, Assuerio, Monson, Telligman, and AA makes you dominant? He fought like a ***** in almost every title fight he has had. Dominant means you finish your opponent, not run away from them.

Sylvia has 2 impressive wins - the second AA fight and against Ricco. Everything else was either filler or Sylvia fighting for a decision.

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
So beating Cabbage, Gan McGee, Assuerio, Monson, Telligman, and AA makes you dominant? He fought like a ***** in almost every title fight he has had. Dominant means you finish your opponent, not run away from them.

Sylvia has 2 impressive wins - the second AA fight and against Ricco. Everything else was either filler or Sylvia fighting for a decision.
i agree with everything youve said so far, i was actually going to quote someones post and reply but then you had already done it and it was exactly what i was going to say, lol.

but yeah, Tim Sylvia hasnt really been "tested" in his career, and i dont think he was ever fit to be champ, it was just the state that the HW division was in the UFC.

now that theyve got some very impressive fighters, and Sylvia is coming off of a loss, we'll see what hes really capable of.

most of the Militech fighters IMO turn into lay and pray counter punchers once they become champions, and Tim Sylvia is the worst one for it, the only way he uses his size is to keep people away, and not really push the fight, but now that he has to push the pace to win he will probably be more impressive than he has been (hopefully).

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
The only dominant fighter in MMA is Fedor, end of discussion. People ridiculously claimed GSP was in this category but Serra has proven otherwise. And a handful of other seemingly dominant fighters have also been fallen thus in my mind making Fedor the only dominant fighter today.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The only dominant fighter in MMA is Fedor, end of discussion. People ridiculously claimed GSP was in this category but Serra has proven otherwise. And a handful of other seemingly dominant fighters have also been fallen thus in my mind making Fedor the only dominant fighter today.
Wow you people have a strict definition of dominant. I guess people almost everyone you face isnt good enough. You have to be a complete god. I guess the only dominant NBA player was Michael Jordan.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The way GSP defeated Sherk, Penn, and others, I would argue, was dominant. Regardless of his loss to Serra, you cannot deny he tore through that division, and made a joke of Hughes. Though I concur losing to Serra was not evocative of dominance; we shall see, though, what GSP is truly made of in his return.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow you people have a strict definition of dominant. I guess people almost everyone you face isnt good enough. You have to be a complete god. I guess the only dominant NBA player was Michael Jordan.
No, but saying Tim Sylvia was dominant is like stating Michael Doleac was dominant.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Can't argue with that. Although, I think we all just have different definitions of dominant. It could be argued that Wand was dominant, Chuck is, Hughes was, Nog was, etc. To rank camps on dominant fighters produced is kind of ridiculous because there are so few dominant fighters. Based on producing A level fighters, Quest and MFS are pretty close. Now the arguement begins of who is an A level fighter. Have Horn or Lawler ever been A level? Was Tanner really A level? I wouldn't say Sylvia is, or ever was A level, B+ I would give him. Or should major credit be given to having mass quantities of pretty good B level fighter, not in my book, although it counts for something.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Can't argue with that. Although, I think we all just have different definitions of dominant. It could be argued that Wand was dominant, Chuck is, Hughes was, Nog was, etc. To rank camps on dominant fighters produced is kind of ridiculous because there are so few dominant fighters. Based on producing A level fighters, Quest and MFS are pretty close. Now the arguement begins of who is an A level fighter. Have Horn or Lawler ever been A level? Was Tanner really A level? I wouldn't say Sylvia is, or ever was A level, B+ I would give him. Or should major credit be given to having mass quantities of pretty good B level fighter, not in my book, although it counts for something.
Horn or Lawler may not be A level, or Silvia, but one could definately learn a lot from them. Esp Horn. Look how MFS turned a pigeon toed goofy slow footed guy into a UFC Champ. I agree team quest and MFS are close, and the two best in the USA IMO. Whether Silvia is a true champ or dominant is irrelevant to this thread. Not many become "A" level fighters. What both camps have done is produced champions, and many good fighters. I think thats how they should be judged.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Team quest for sure. I think training with Pat can make you a great fighter, that's been proven. I think ultimately though there is more diverse and well rounded skill available with team quest.

In reality though I think the top teams are Chute Boxe and BTT, it just depends on what kind of a fit your style is. I'm sure training with Fedor would be the experience of a lifetime too, but that's different.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think it depends on what you want to focus on. For MT in MMA, if I could train anywhere, I guess it would be Chute Boxe, or maybe with Anderson Silva (Muay Thai Dream Team) I think. I love Silva's style, and especially his footwork. I'd also want to train BJJ at BTT.

LCSULLA

Awards
  • Established
Yeah training Brasil would be awsome. But both those schools are so commercia; just like Gracie Barra for jits. Theres a extreme gringo tax on what you pay a month. Sometime even more then what you pay in the states.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I doubt I'd ever get to go there, but my instructor trained there before moving to the U.S. He still trains with them a few times per year, so maybe he'd be able to hook it up.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah training Brasil would be awsome. But both those schools are so commercia; just like Gracie Barra for jits. Theres a extreme gringo tax on what you pay a month. Sometime even more then what you pay in the states.
Yeah, but if you go in there and sign up with some brazilian friends I doubt they'll pull that ****.