Pride 34 Results **possible spoiler**

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
well, technically the PPV has aired in the United States per Pride's idiotic idea to air it live @ 3am, but I'm assuming most won't watch it until tonight...if anyone orders it at all. Regardless, here it is...

KISS def Edson Drago via Neck Crank R1
Butterbean def Zulu via Key-Lock R1
Takimoto def Zelg Galesic via Arm Bar R1
Gilbert Yvel def Akira Shoji via TKO R1
James Thompson def Don Frye via TKO R1 (Pretty close to Frye/Takayama II!!!!!)
Aoki def Brian Lo-A-Njoe via Armbar R1
Sokoudjou def Ricardo Arona via TKO R1
Monson def Fujita via Choke @ 6:37 R1

Sokoudjou is the real deal! Lil Nog and then Arona...WTF is going on in MMA?!?!?!?
Oh yeah...Sakuraba is back in Pride...to fight Tamura!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I wanted to pick Sokoudjou so bad, but rationality won out. Damn. Who is this guy? So henderson/Sokoujdou are the new Wandy/Shogun? :lol:

Wow, 2007 and someone got subbed by a neck crank?

Guess the Zelg hype was unwarranted?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see it yet, but from the PBP it sounded like Galesic was laying a whooping down before he got caught. Sounded like a very complete, overwhelming striker. It must have been close to stoppage b/c he stomped and soccer kicked twice.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I didn't see it yet, but from the PBP it sounded like Galesic was laying a whooping down before he got caught. Sounded like a very complete, overwhelming striker. It must have been close to stoppage b/c he stomped and soccer kicked twice.
Okay, so maybe like the Antonio Silva loss.

Edit: You meant got caught in a sub, I see.

Zelg fires a strong head kick but just misses. Right straight follwed by a left low kick scores for Zelg. Takimoto throws Zelg and hops on his back. Zelg turns around and Takimoto moves to side-control. Takimoto spins for an armbar but Zelg escapes. Zelg mounts after a flying stomp misses. Takimoto uses good leg work to get full guard. Zelg back to his feet. He lands 2 punches that floor Takimoto. Zelg stomps on his face and soccer kicks his opponent in the face twice. Zelg now working from Takimoto's guard. Takimoto has an omaplata. He switches to the other arm and forces a tap with a Kimura. Impressive performance by the Japanese fighter.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Who would have thought Butterbean would slap on a submission?

Monson looked good reppin' the UFC. So I guess the first battle of a greater war goes to the UFC.

I'm still not sure if Sokoudjou is for real yet, but he certainly seems to be.

And man, I love Frye. Guy doesn't have it anymore, but he sure is fun as hell to watch.

Aoki better learn some striking or he's going to get in serious trouble one day.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Galesic looks pretty raw, he outathleted Takimoto to avoid losing on the ground earlier, obviously not expert there and making the poor tactical decisions to not extract himself from the ground and get back to his standup forte.

Frye should have stayed retired, he took a unnecessary beating that went on way too long, man looks old and fat. He never was a natural heavyweight, he could work the excess mass when younger, now he's too old, super clean living Randy Couture he's not.

Gilbert Yvel is strong with an excellent GNP defense, I've never seen him before in MMA, so I really can't say anything more.

Haven't seen Arona and Fuji Hardhead yet.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well then, have a look here for Sokoudjou.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

I think I'm officially a Sokoudjou fan (hopping on the bandwagon. Why not?). He's explosive and his leg kicks made Arona's look weak by comparison. Also, in an interview he jokes about fighting lions in the jungle, hilarious.

Sadly, you're right about Frye. He'll always be one of my favs, though, and sorry Rogue, but moustache beats the mullet for iconic hair.:stick:

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Gee, thanks, this old formerley mulleted Gridiron soldier, not Canadian, appreciates the hookup, don't know where I could possibly find this without your help. :box: ;)

Know what I was thinking watching Frye doing his Timex impression?, taking a licking and keeps on ticking, yeah, JLB sure had some powerful hands.

You know I can't go too long without slipping a Frog into the conversation.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All I see is the word 'mullet' being tossed around inconsiderately. I don't like it.

I agree with everybody though, that Frye fight was really sad.

I think Galesic's striking was crisp as hell, though the mistakes that got him into that kimura were unbecoming of a top tier fighter.

size

Awards
  • Established
Sokoudjou is obviously for real. He has taken out two top level fighters. I am surprised and impressed.

Thompson absolutely destroyed Frye. Honestly, I ref really should have stepped in much sooner. Frye was doing nothing to defend himself. Thompson on the ground is terrible.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Wow. Soukoudjou has boulders for hands.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
"All I see is the word 'mullet' being tossed around inconsiderately. I don't like it."

My bad Mullet. The comment was aimed the Drone. If it's getting chicks like the one in your avatar, stick with it. (My current gf would never let me take pics like that for fear that they'd one day end up on the web.)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think the overhyped award goes to Drago; he was supposed to be a rising force in the HW division, but that obviously is not the case.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"All I see is the word 'mullet' being tossed around inconsiderately. I don't like it."

My bad Mullet. The comment was aimed the Drone. If it's getting chicks like the one in your avatar, stick with it. (My current gf would never let me take pics like that for fear that they'd one day end up on the web.)
lol...Yeah.

size

Awards
  • Established
Frye does not look bad at all in the post fight interview. I am surprised to see how little damage he appears to have. Thompson must really throw arm punches and/or Frye has a tough body.
YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
He wasn't damaged after Takayama, either.

He's just the f*ckin' man. There are no two ways about it.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Don Frye is now like the Soviet Army versus the Nazis was, being tough ain't enough.

Still got a little Lyrical Gangsta left in me, even though I exercised that trait to near exhaustion last night, lunacy.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
The following is an article from the TATAME Brazilian-MMA website:

Arona talks about defeat to fans

Just after his defeat at the last Pride, the Brazilian black belt Ricardo Arona sent an open letter to site TATAME explaining his problems for his fans. Check it out:

I know that Sokoudojou deserves the victory, we know he is a dangerous and tough athlete, but I want to splain to my fans and friends, I would like to say that I did choose a fight strategy which did depends of all my physical condition and unfortunally, one week before I go to Japan, I got sick and I got bad body pains, headache, fever, so I didn’t have at that moment the energy to win that bout.

The medical team of the Pride orghanization did examinate me but they didn’t find the virous. I believe it is like a “dengue” desease, because I am still felling myself not very well and with fever. When you all watch that fight you will see that there is not the usual Arona fighting there and that was not the performance I did want to show. I hope to get as soon as possible in Brasil to do some exams and start the better treatment because I want to start my training stage for the ADCC, to participate of the match or of the super bout.

I appolagize to all my fans and friends and I promisse to improve my performance as soon as I get myself better and then to show you what you are expecting of me. Thanks to you all for the support and the trust on me,

Ricardo Arona.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I like that Bubba translation, 'splaining.

Does that sound like Liar, Liar Pants on Fire to you, jasamundo?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Arona always has an excuse, now if it's true he's the boy that cried wolf.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
You think maybe Arona and Ortiz have been swapping infectious spit? or, never mind, I went there too frequently of late.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Don Frye on the Pride purchase by the UFC, "It's like being married to the most beautiful woman in the world and then waking up next her fat, ugly sister".