Ufn 9 Discussion

1. Gold Member
    Answers

Ufn 9 Discussion

So what are your thoughts on UFN 9? Gotta give it to my boy Kenflo (damn, that is a gay nickname). He looked very good, with the exception of getting sloppy and almost getting caught in that leglock. Muay Thai was looking sharp...well really, the leg kicks. Sityodtong is a great school. I'm actually thinking of switching there in a bit.

Guillard looked like a chump after all the smack he talked. I'm not saying he can't back it up. He has the skills, but lacks the brain. He needs to slow down and spend more time training and less time trying to get in people's head. Seems the only one affected is him.

Hardonk McCully was a snooze fest. A mediocre ground guy lying on top of a sub-mediocre ground guy is not main event worthy. They should have put Fickett on the show.

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Answers

Glad to see Guillard get beat so quickly. I have an intense disdain for brash and arrogant fighters so when they lose it's so enjoyable.
  3. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Answers

Damn, I missed it!

Anyone have it?
    •   

4. Gold Member
    Answers

It'll probably be replayed all week. The Florian fight, and maybe the Pelligrino fights were the only ones really worth watching. Pelligrino made short work of it, but the guy he fought, Mohr, looked like he had some nice standup. He didn't fall for a rookie sub. Pel set it up really well.
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Disappointing, but free, so really not so disappointing. I hate (and I mean hate) but Guillard truly does remind me of Randleman; attitude, physique, same stupid mistakes, all conjure up memories of Randleman. Both of those fighters have ridiculous natural athleticism, combined with insane explosiveness, and both are disappointing, IMO.

Though Guillard still has awhile ahead of him to straighten out, IMO.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier View Post
    Disappointing, but free, so really not so disappointing. I hate (and I mean hate) but Guillard truly does remind me of Randleman; attitude, physique, same stupid mistakes, all conjure up memories of Randleman. Both of those fighters have ridiculous natural athleticism, combined with insane explosiveness, and both are disappointing, IMO.

Though Guillard still has awhile ahead of him to straighten out, IMO.
    No doubt, Guillard is a smaller Randleman. That was a disappointing fight, but I guess it was exciting for the time it lasted. They had 15 minutes to wrap up the show after this one. Why didn't they put on another fight instead of listen to Goldie and Rogan ramble on?

Mohr vs. Guillard might be a fun one in the future. Two explosive high energy guys.

I really wanted to see more of Hardonk's standup but he didn't have the skills to keep it off the ground. Boring fight, they should have chosen another one to show.

You're Boston boy looked pretty good, Beo. He may climb back toward the top of 155, we'll see.

Glad to see Alex's boy, Kit Cope, getting some time in the spotlight too.
  7. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    I really wanted to see more of Hardonk's standup but he didn't have the skills to keep it off the ground. Boring fight, they should have chosen another one to show.
    Agreed. They really need to stop putting questionable heavyweights on the main card for these things. I thought UFNs were supposed to attract fans. Fights like this are a definite turnoff, and the matchmaker should have known that this fight had huge potential to be a snoozer. 1 dimensional striker vs. 1 dimensional wrestler=highlight KO or ambien. If it ends in a quick KO, they'd likely still have time to show the bout, and the fans would love it.

Sounds like the Fickett fight was great, and that guy is usually entertaining, so that should have taken a main card slot. From the writeup, it sounds like Drew took a huge illegal elbow to the grill. He got handled in Rd. 2, but was apparently impressive in 1 and 3.
  8. Registered User
    Answers

I don't want to start rumors, but when I watched the fight and saw the replay, I really wondered if the Kenflo fight was fixed. The Japanese fighter had the knee bar absolutely locked tight and he just let it go and Kenny jumps on his back and chokes him almost on cue. Maybe the Japanese guy just wore himself out trying to get it, but it really ended quick. I'm not bashing Kenny, just reporting what went through my mind.
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Answers

Mishima was gased after the first round, yet alone when he tried for the sub...and KFlo still almost tapped. I don't think it was fixed.
    Last edited by stxnas; 04-06-2007 at 11:27 AM.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  10. Registered User
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    It'll probably be replayed all week. The Florian fight, and maybe the Pelligrino fights were the only ones really worth watching. Pelligrino made short work of it, but the guy he fought, Mohr, looked like he had some nice standup. He didn't fall for a rookie sub. Pel set it up really well.
    Mohr should have gotten out of that sub when it was just an achilles lock. Also he could have put Pelligrino in an inverted heel hook. Mohr needs to work on his ground game but his hands looked fast.

Stevenson looked fine.
    Florian looked good but he went thru brief periods where he got sloppy.
    The other fight was terrible.
  11. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Agreed. They really need to stop putting questionable heavyweights on the main card for these things. I thought UFNs were supposed to attract fans. Fights like this are a definite turnoff, and the matchmaker should have known that this fight had huge potential to be a snoozer. 1 dimensional striker vs. 1 dimensional wrestler=highlight KO or ambien. If it ends in a quick KO, they'd likely still have time to show the bout, and the fans would love it.
    I think they wanted a long boring fight. I can't believe herb dean would let them clinch for a minute and a half before they got a takedown. I would have had them break after about 30 seconds. He never stood them back up either.
  12. Gold Member
    Answers

Yeah, I'm all for letting a good grappler work for something, but both of them were pretty inactive most of the time.
  13. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by warriorway View Post
    I think they wanted a long boring fight. I can't believe herb dean would let them clinch for a minute and a half before they got a takedown. I would have had them break after about 30 seconds. He never stood them back up either.
    It reminded me of the Millitech-Burnett clinchfest.

How about this special on the Tito - Dana boxing match? Dana's massive ego wouldn't allow him to not rip Tito, maybe? Another Zuffa special like All Acces and the Countdowns that have a whole 5 minutes of interesting material max spread out to 30 or 60 minutes (that I will no doubt watch).
  14. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jas123 View Post
    Another Zuffa special like All Acces and the Countdowns that have a whole 5 minutes of interesting material max spread out to 30 or 60 minutes (that I will no doubt watch).
    Sort of like most UFC events. Drumroll please.

15. Gold Member
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by daniel35 View Post
    I don't want to start rumors, but when I watched the fight and saw the replay, I really wondered if the Kenflo fight was fixed. The Japanese fighter had the knee bar absolutely locked tight and he just let it go and Kenny jumps on his back and chokes him almost on cue. Maybe the Japanese guy just wore himself out trying to get it, but it really ended quick. I'm not bashing Kenny, just reporting what went through my mind.
    I highly doubt it was rigged. Kneebars are really hard to execute well (honestly, I've only trained them once, so I may be overstating this), but at that stage both fighters would have been drenched with sweat. I think the heel hook would have been a safer finisher. Florian definitely got sloppy letting all this happen. Mishima went for three or four leglocks before that, so he should have been more defensive.

Florian definitely almost tapped, but he waved it off immediately. When I first saw it I thought he did, but he might have just been reaching for the Mishima's leg to loosen it. He clearly waved off the tap.
  16. Registered User
    Answers

Kenflow looked good but man he got careless And wow Guillard got took man I was expecting a war. The only thing I did not like was the interview with BJ and Jans come on is this beef real. The whole wwf crap talking turns my stomach. I guess they realized beefs sell seats after Kens ans Titos.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. UFN discussion thread
    By jas123 in forum MMA
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-28-2007, 11:47 AM
  2. UFN discussion thread
    By jas123 in forum MMA
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2006, 09:51 PM
  3. Ultimate Limiting Factors.....discussion
    By WISCPL in forum Anabolics