Best MMA Book?

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
whats good? i was wondering whats a great MMA book for learning submissions and all that kind of stuff.. im looking to learn more about the sport

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you want a history of the sport or a book of techniques?

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
my fault bro.. i meant a book of techniques to learn

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Big Books of Combat by Bas Rutten is always the place to start. It teaches everything associated with MMA from techniques to conditioning to weight training, etc.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
awesome, im going to run a search for it right now dude, thanks. any other books come to mind?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
1001 submissions
Mastering the Rubber Guard
Muay Thai Unleashed

That's all I can think of at the moment...

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
im looking into Mastering the Rubber Guard because of the price.. so this teaches a lot of moves/techniques bro?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes, but they are not intended for people that don't have a good grappling base.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
hmm. im looking for just basic techniques and such.. like arm-bar and techniques like that

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm. im looking for just basic techniques and such.. like arm-bar and techniques like that
Oh, boy. Well an armbar is a not exactly a basic technique: there are many, many types of armbars. My suggestion is to go to a BJJ school for a few months to pick up techniques. Books are good resources for different ideas, but should not be to foundation of your training.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
ok. well yeah, im a newb, but i love watching ufc and everything and want to learn a lot of stuff

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The best way to learn how to apply the techniques is to go to an MMA school and roll/spar with the other students.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You can look at photo's in a book - the Gracies have great picture books as does Dave Camarillo.
However, you will never really understand how to apply them without actually training at a good school.
By the photo you will see how to hold the arm and lean back.
In a school you will learn the importance on having the thumb pointing the right way, shifting your hips to the right angle, pushing your hips up, hugging the arm etc.
An arm bar applied with your opponent resistant has to be this technical for you to pull it off, this is stuff a book will never be able to teach you.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the info karategirl! do u know any books that rodja may not have mentioned?

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I like:
Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu: Revolutionizing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Paperback) by: Dave Camarillo , Erich Krauss

and

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Theory and Technique
by Renzo and Royler Gracie

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like:
Guerrilla Jiu-Jitsu: Revolutionizing Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Paperback) by: Dave Camarillo , Erich Krauss

and

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Theory and Technique
by Renzo and Royler Gracie
Guerrilla JJ is a good book, but the combo of Judo and BJJ is a lot for someone without a good grappling base.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Mark Hatmaker's books:

No Holds Barred Fighting: Savage Strikes: The Complete Guide to Real World Striking for NHB Competition and Street Defense,

No Holds Barred Fighting: The Ultimate Guide to Submission Wrestling

No Holds Barred Fighting: Takedowns: Throws, Trips, Drops and Slams for NHB Competition and Street Defense

No Holds Barred Fighting: The Clinch: Offensive and Defensive Concepts Inside NHB's Most Grueling Position (No Holds Barred Fighting)

More No Holds Barred Fighting: Killer Submissions

Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies from the Sweet Science

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
yo ex, thanks for the feedback! im looking into all of these.. do u guys know any good dvd's for a beginner?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
For total beginners, no. Check out Randy Couture's centuryvision videos, Bas Rutten's big dvd of combat, Brandon Vera's MMA gameplan and Rob Kaman's old panther video series for some excellent instruction on almost all facets of fighting though.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
i decided to get brazilian jiu-jitsu theory and technique with renzo and royler gracie. im very satisfied!

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Glad you liked it :)
Its a pretty good introduction with some great pictures.

I train Guerrilla JJ which is why Daves book was probably more basic for me than a traditional JJ guy, so sorry if it seemed too advanced,

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
no problem girl! any recommendations for a second book i should look at?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
A little OT, but I saw one with Joe Rogan in the pictures. I know he's no joke at bjj, but I still found it amusing.

size

Awards
  • Established
A little OT, but I saw one with Joe Rogan in the pictures. I know he's no joke at bjj, but I still found it amusing.
He is good friends with Eddie Bravo. Hence, I am assuming, his inclusion in Bravo's books.

P4D2A022

P4D2A022

Awards
  • Established
ya know, at first i didnt like rogan, mainly because he was a pest on fear factor.. but now, i do have respect for him in the ufc and everything..... i dunno, just my .02 i guess

GrandWizard

Awards
The Bible of Bujutsu

whats good? i was wondering whats a great MMA book for learning submissions and all that kind of stuff.. im looking to learn more about the sport

The Bible of Bujutsu has every thing from the history
of MMA to stuff that many MMA or Jiu Jitsu techniques,
and the original names for the techniques. There is a lot of weak links in this decent of the Japanese JuJutsu and this book fills
in the gaps.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
If you want to be a good MMA fight you gotta wear a tapout hat, affliction shirt, and sprawl shorts. Also, you gotta not know wtf your talking about when it comes to MMA.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Can't believe nobody's mentioned Mark Hatmaker's books:

No Holds Barred Fighting: Savage Strikes: The Complete Guide to Real World Striking for NHB Competition and Street Defense,

No Holds Barred Fighting: The Ultimate Guide to Submission Wrestling

No Holds Barred Fighting: Takedowns: Throws, Trips, Drops and Slams for NHB Competition and Street Defense

No Holds Barred Fighting: The Clinch: Offensive and Defensive Concepts Inside NHB's Most Grueling Position (No Holds Barred Fighting)

More No Holds Barred Fighting: Killer Submissions

Boxing Mastery: Advanced Technique, Tactics, and Strategies from the Sweet Science
I was thinking the same thbing here. They are inexpensive books with a good variety of techniques. Again though, to truly understand you need to get into a school and spar

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
If you want to be a good MMA fight you gotta wear a tapout hat, affliction shirt, and sprawl shorts. Also, you gotta not know wtf your talking about when it comes to MMA.
True. Thats the way to do it.