MMA Monopolized?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. For the record, I do think the UFC has made drastic improvements in the extremely short period of time since I began following the sport (almost 1 year ). It seems like the upcoming talent has jumped considerably, and even without this acquisition, I think the UFC would continue to progress. Nonetheless, the overall talent pool is definitely still lacking--especially at 205.


  2. MMA WEEKLY - Your #1 Source for Daily MMA News, Interviews, Multimedia, and More[/QUOTE]

    Who's ass did these ranking come from? Sherk isnt even in there ROFL! Someone obviously ate a bunch of pieces of paper with lightweight pride fighters names on them, and they fell in the toilet undigested in this order.
    •   
       


  3. Sherk's only fought once at 155 so this might explain his name being MIA. Diaz has only fought once as well, but he beat the top guy. The LW division is still fairly new in the UFC so it will take a little time to sort it all out. To be honest, I think it's possible that the UFC LW div may be as good or better than Pride but let's wait and see.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Pride had better heavyweights, but beyond that in the last few years nothing can be said about their fighters being better. Diaz who couldnt even contend for a championship in UFC and ****ed up Gomi. Wanderlei could have settled the middleweight division, but Prides stupid management messed that up. Herring comes over to UFC and lays a giant egg. Anderson Silva is impressive however. The UFC lightweights are far beyond anything Pride has to offer. From 170 and 155, Pride has nothing to challeng UFC. That will be proven in the the very near future. Some of the 155 matches if seen in the UFC has been some of the best MMA ever fought on this planet. I cant wait for Henderson/Silva and Shogun/Wanderie vs Chuck. Prides production was only better in the aspect that they didnt stall in between fights with **** talking video sessions. Other than that it was just confetti, an annoying announcer who's voice must have come from the deepest pits of hell and a naked guy banging on a drum.
    Not trying to pick on you. I respect your views, but who the hell does the UFC have at LW that is so great besides Sherk. Franca is nice, and thats about it. Gomi, Sakurai, Aoki, Hansen, Melendez, Crusher, I could go on. Anyone who liked UFC better than Pride in the last 5 years is either crazy or just wants to be different. I mean in 03-04 every Pride card was a friggin Superbowl like event with 6 or 7 great fights SHOWN on each card. Meanwhile the UFC was having awesome main events like Arlovski/Buentello with crap on the undercard. I could be wrong, but I think you are overly bothered by all the Pride nuthuggers and it has driven you to rationalize that the UFC was/is better. If you'd rather watch 5 decent fights than 6 great fights and 2 decent fights than UFC would've made sense.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    Not trying to pick on you. I respect your views, but who the hell does the UFC have at LW that is so great besides Sherk. Franca is nice, and thats about it. Gomi, Sakurai, Aoki, Hansen, Melendez, Crusher, I could go on. Anyone who liked UFC better than Pride in the last 5 years is either crazy or just wants to be different. I mean in 03-04 every Pride card was a friggin Superbowl like event with 6 or 7 great fights SHOWN on each card. Meanwhile the UFC was having awesome main events like Arlovski/Buentello with crap on the undercard. I could be wrong, but I think you are overly bothered by all the Pride nuthuggers and it has driven you to rationalize that the UFC was/is better. If you'd rather watch 5 decent fights than 6 great fights and 2 decent fights than UFC would've made sense.
    UFC has some of the best young talent at 155 in the world. Hermes Franca, Sherk, Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Roger Huerta, Jamie Varner, Jason Gilliam, Joe Lauzon. Tyson Griffin and Frank Edgar are also two young guys to watch out for. Their fight was one of the most entertaining fights in a long time. Almost all of these guys are young and extremely talented. Soon the UFC 155 will have the best fights in MMA, and this year there have already been some great ones.

  6. True, but the point is, those fighters do not compare to the current line-up of Pride LWs, which Alexandrovich mentioned(including my boy Shaolin).

  7. I'm really of a mixed mind on this, the positives of now being able to see Pride versus the UFC is great, offset by probable NSAC unified rules, maybe the style changes in the Japanese flavored Pagentry to appeal to the mainstream UFC fan, and I'm generally opposed to monopolies, since it usually results in higher prices and restrain of free trade.

    Add the fact that Dana White has the Don King skullduggery feel about him, I'm hopeful but very hesistant to endorse this marriage.

    I agree with Beowulf that the UFC has really improved lately, there was a period not too long ago where they were running some overall poor cards compared to their Japanese counterpart.

    Pride has themselves to blame for letting their thing slip away, they screwed themselves, or the Yakuza or someone did, I don't know.

    I disagree about Pride's ref interference being worse than what the UFC refs do, yes, they are a little quick with the yellow card, but they let the "boring" tactical groundwork continue longer, the UFC refs often do standups way too fast and Pride lets fights end in a more decisive way, the UFC has often erred on the side of caution to debatable and unsatisfying conclusions.

    I'm hoping that Bodog, the IFL and WCL and the other potential players come on strong to at least somewhat counter Zuffa market dominance.

  8. MMA Weekly's lightweight rankings are the biggest freakin' joke. I haven't seen that much sh*t since I ate 8000 calories in one day.

    Where to start?

    First off, Sakurai is #1, according to them. I know he's a great fighter and all, but what exactly did he do to suddenly propel himself to #1? Beat Mac Danzig??? Gomi beat him but yet, he's ranked higher than Gomi.

    Then we have the fact that Diaz beat the former #1 guy, Gomi, but is still ranked lower than him!! What in God's name is that about??

    Next up is the fact that the guy who beat Diaz, which is none other than Sean "the f*ckin' man" Sherk, isn't even on the goddamn list!! Now I know I'm a Sherk fanboy, but my fanboyism aside, that is a goddamn travesty of justice.

    Yet, Kid Yamamoto makes the top 10! When was the last time he fought at 155, anyway??

    Someone needs to ground and pound whoever did this list. I'm talking a mix of UFC and Pride GnP, too- elbows AND knees on the ground.

    Here are rankings that make sense-

    Full Contact Fighter Gear, Ultimate Fighting (UFC), Mixed Martial Arts

  9. The main problem with FCF rankings is that half of the fighters on there dont fight at <155. I just can't justify having Sherk as the #1 LW, mainly because he has has only one fight at that weight. Now, if he wins his next couple of fight, then that will be different, obviously. As of now, I think Sakurai is #1 because he was ranked #2 and then Gomi lost.

  10. MMA rankings leave much to be desired, as I said when I posted it. I knew Savage would get Sherk's panties in a bunch about this one , but the only person Sherk beat at 155 is Kenny Florian. As much as I'd love for the Boston denizen to be that good, he's not even close to making this list yet. Sherk beat Diaz at 170, which probably isn't a great weight for Diaz, as he can be easily outmuscled there.

    For the record, for LW, it states 160lbs or lower.

    Kid does belong on that list b/c he could probably hang with some of those guys, and he is under 160.
    •   
       


  11. It doesn't matter what weight class Sherk and Diaz fought at because their fight weight is the same as it was at 170. They cut weight to make the limits, then balloon back up to their walk around weight.

    When top boxers or wrestlers move weight classes, they are automatic contenders in their new class. Hell, Randy was a top contender when he dropped from heavyweight.

    And that's the way it should be. A fighter's career is not a series of independent stages, each in their own vacuum. It's a continuous flow. As such, it's just extremely bizarre to discount everything that has happened before X point in their career and act as if they're some noob that needs many years to prove themself.

    My fanboyism aside, it's completely disrespectful to Sherk to not even have him on the list, just as it's completely disrespectful for Gomi to still be ranked ahead of Diaz, Sakurai ranked ahead of Gomi, and Yamamoto to even be on the list.

    It just doesn't make sense on multiple levels.

  12. Sherk is 31-2 -1 with his last loss coming from GSP, who cuts like freaking crazy to make 170. Plus he beat Diaz 2 fights ago. Sherk is worthy of #1, just like Fedor should be #1 in LHW if he cut to 205 and beat any top 4-5 LHW fighter in the world. It doesnt matter how many fights hes had at 155. His record at a heavier weight class, plus beating Diaz makes him top 2-3 at the very least, if not #1 at 155. His last fight at 155 automatically should put him in the top of the 155 rankings. I just dont buy the notion of fighting in a tougher weight class, dominating the **** out of it, then having to dominate the lighter weight class for 4-5 fights to get in the rankings.

  13. So should Soukoudju be ranked ~ #6 at LHW and Nog behind him? Crocop didn't fall that far when he lost to Hunt (this wasn't a lucky punch win like Souk). I think Diaz is still behind Gomi until he beats more people. He's still got a losing record in his last 5-7 fights so Diaz shouldn't bump up that high. Gomi looked off and out of shape, but I think he's still one of the best. He should drop to around 5th.\


    Edit: I take it back, he's 4-3 in his last 7.

  14. But now we're getting into the same deal that we have with non-title fights- if a champion loses a non-title fight, how can he REALLY still be considered champion? He just lost.

    Similarly, how can the #1 guy be ranked ahead of the guy who just beat him?

    It's like saying "Well, he shouldn't be champion even though he just beat the champion. He needs a few more fights."

    If this is how they're going to rank fighters, then why have a ranking system at all? It becomes meaningless.

  15. Diaz lost to Sherk (nothing to be ashamed of, he is ahead of Gomi if you ask me), Diego (fights at 170 and undefeated), and Joe Riggz. All by decision, with most of the points proboly scored on takedowns that did little damage, and in a heavier weight class. Also in the best weight class in UFC, and the best and most competetive division in all of MMA hands down. Diaz belongs ahead of Gomi, and if you are a fighter and show up out of shape thats no excuse. If you ask me Gomi was rocked more than out of shape. If Gomi gassed at the end of a 5 minute round, he should drop out of the top 10 all together because he shouldnt even be considered a fighter. Its like a marathon runner only being able to make it 10 miles before collapsing.

  16. Diaz didn't deserve a title shot. He wasn't a #1 contender. He was brought in because people knew who he was. You don't go from #15 to #2 or whatever in my book because of 1 fight. That's my point. If Linland would lose to Hendo, Franklin, Filho 100% of the time (hypothetically) but beat Anderson Silva 100% of the time yet Anderson beats the other 3 100% of the time. Then who is #1? It's a matter of opinion at that point. I don't see a point in arguing it further, though. Rankings are somewhat subjective, and we'll never all agree.

  17. Quote Originally Posted by CNorris View Post
    Its like a marathon runner only being able to make it 10 miles before collapsing.
    Hey Savage, you better buy Sherkie a larger thong so there is room for both of you to hang from the teste sachel...

    Actually, marathoners do frequently drop out if they aren't in the shape they expected. They don't want to waste themselves physically on a subpar performance. That isn't really relevant; just for the sake of argument. Gomi is not a marathoner, and coming in out of shape in a fight is asking for a career-shortening injury. I don't know what he was smoking (maybe Diaz hooked him up before the fight). As far as I'm concerned, his title is a joke.

    I'm sure the top 10 at LW will be shaken up in the coming year. Props to CNorris for including Joe Lauzon in the up-and-comers I think the UFC will have a ton in store for us in the coming year, even without migration from PRIDE.

    CNorris, we bust balls a lot here, but it's all in good fun . Nothing personal.

    I have to agree with Jas123. This stuff is highly subjective. The only way to know for sure is for everyone to fight everyone, which will hopefully become a reality soon.

  18. I agree Diaz didn't deserve a title shot. And that being the case, he shouldn't have been matched with Gomi. If he doesn't deserve a title shot, then don't let him fight the champ. But he was matched with the champ and he won.

    The whole point of a champion is to see who the best is. You take on all comers because you are the man and you must continually prove that to stay the champion. If you fight and you lose, you should no longer be the champ because you're no longer the best.

    Being champion isn't supposed to mean that you can pick and choose when your belt is on the line. That's not a true champion.

    It should be the same situation with rankings. If you are #1 and you lose, then you're not #1 anymore and the guy who just beat you certainly shouldn't be ranked below you. That defeats the whole purpose of having rankings.

    I dunno. I just think there should be more thought put into this kind of thing.

  19. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    Hey Savage, you better buy Sherkie a larger thong so there is room for both of you to hang from the teste sachel...
    No, I want 'em all to myself!

  20. My bad, I thought this was a thread about the Monopolization of MMA.

    It's interesting to critique the rationale that these media wags use to rank with, and It's always fun to b***h about the wrong of things, but since these are not the official rankings that determine matchups, It's just a minor consideration.

    Don't get worked about it SS, stop d*****g around on this trivial stuff and get the old and new versions of HEAT avaliable to buy, Mr. Vice President.

  21. Quote Originally Posted by Sir Savage View Post
    The whole point of a champion is to see who the best is. You take on all comers because you are the man and you must continually prove that to stay the champion. If you fight and you lose, you should no longer be the champ because you're no longer the best.

    Being champion isn't supposed to mean that you can pick and choose when your belt is on the line. That's not a true champion.
    I agree 100% here. Gomi's a paper champ now.

    As far as Sherk's sack goes, I propose an American Gladiators style contest for it. One of you stands on Sherk's knee and the other swings down from Sherk's sack and tries to knock him off........

  22. Hopefully one of the better things to come from the UFC-Pride ownership unification is to settle the ranking stuff.

    The weight classes will be uniform.

    What do y'all think- Gomi, Kawajiri, etc. at 170 or 155? I would think 170 for Gomi, at least. He'll get destroyed either way, though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Don't get worked about it SS, stop d*****g around on this trivial stuff and get the old and new versions of HEAT avaliable to buy, Mr. Vice President.
    O Captain, my captain!
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Guys, Check out the mma forum
    By LCSULLA in forum General Chat
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-09-2006, 02:34 PM
  2. looking for a mma gym
    By warriorway in forum MMA
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-05-2005, 10:47 PM
  3. USP labs Supps and MMA
    By TooL in forum MMA
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-22-2005, 12:01 AM
  4. MMA thread
    By Nicolai in forum General Chat
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Log in
Log in