Fantasy Matchup Thread

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The purpose of this thread is probably just a cure for boredom but people can bring up interesting matchups (preferably that have not been discussed to death, Wandy-Liddell or are unrealistic/lopsided, Fedor-Kanehara) and discuss how the fights would go down.

I'll get the ball rolling.

Couture vs. Nog

A Sherdog writer brought up this match and it seems interesting. I think Couture could take a decision. He would take Nog down and work some conservative GnP and avoid subs IMO.

Linland vs. Henderson

Battle of former team Questers. They know each other well so it is a little hard to predict. I'd give it to Henderson by TKO/KO. Henderson's standup is def. better, and both have great wrestling obviously. Linland's bjj is better but Henderson isn't easy to sub as it took Nog a lot of work to finally catch him. Linland's best shot is to try to neutralize and wear Henderson down to take a decision from a gassed Hendo.

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
I'd like to see Liddell vs Franklin even though they're not in the same weight class.

I think that would make for an interesting fight, both have knockout power, and love to stand and trade.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah that's a good one too. Since Franklin started at 205, it's not that crazy either. It would be a standup war, but I see Chuck catching Rich and ending it by KO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the boredom killer.

I gotta say I would go against you on both of your picks, I'd take Nog by sub and Lindland by dec.

GSP vs Anderson Silva- Tough one to call, but I'd go with GSP by GnP. Although Anderson could easily make GSP look retarded standing up.

Kharitonov vs Sylvia- Kharitonov by punch to Sylvia's mail slot.

Kid Yamamoto vs Keith Hackney(95)- I apologize.

I can't think of **** right now, I'll get back to you.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
While neither of these guys are top-notch, I'd like to see Tito vs. Bisping.

A Wandy vs. Tito rematch would be great: I think Wandy would have some fun with that one.

Obviously Shogun vs. Chuck and Wandy vs. Chuck

I'd like to see Ninja vs. Franklin. I know he hasn't looked good recently, but he was awesome a couple of years ago. He has only lost to top of the food chain guys (except Randleman, who is a huge threat to anyone despite...) Ninja has a good gas tank and absolutely brings it (or at least he used to). Ninja vs. A.Silva would be interesting as well. Being former teammates makes the fight even more interesting.

Fedor vs. Couture: While I think Fedor would demolish him standing, Randy could pose a threat. I don't think he would take Fedor down, though.

Jacare vs. Silva: Silva would obviously take the standup, but Jacare appears athletic as hell, and his standup looked decent. I think he'll be a major player in the future.

Sylvia vs. Sammy Schilt: Why the hell not?

Sylvia vs. JLB (aka Rogue's wet dream :D ): This would be great. BTW, I read somewhere that JLB had a severe knee injury that slowed him down and limited his arsenal greatly in his last K1 showing.

Sherk vs. Mini-Me: So that Sherk could finally fight someone his own size :nutkick: to Savage :head:

I could go on. I'll save you the annoyance.

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
I wouldnt mind seeing:

Fedor vs. Chuck: I (like everyone else) think Fedor is an untouchable God in MMA and I dont think he is really human. However, Id love to see Chuck fight someone with superior striking that would probably just stand and swing with him. Fedor KOs the Iceman, but I think it would be fun to watch.

Couture vs. Wandy: Just like to see the different styles collide.

Tito vs Silva: Id like to see how Titos power would matchup with Andersons standup.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Lindland vs. Silva
Fedor vs. CC rematch
Couture vs. Barnett rematch
Arlovski vs. Kharitonov
Liddell vs. Shogun

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some very interesting matchups here.

Lots of love for flavor of the month Couture, not sure if it's justified based on a single fight for massively outsmarting a conservative one dimensional fighter.

I'm no longer on JLB's sack, he's lost it.

I'm trying to think of a good matchup for Paulo Filho, I would say Randelman on power if he had subs, otherwise I'm at a loss.

Liddell versus Cyborg Santos and Liddell versus Melvin Manhoef.

One we should have seen a long time ago, Ken Shamrock and Mark Coleman, probably too late now.[/QUOTE]

This fantasy though. We could say Shamrock/Coleman circa, let's say 1994?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Aleks Emelianenko vs Jerome LeBanner now!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
That would be a good fight, Aleks_JLB. Faded as he is, I'd still take JLB because Aleks has fast hands but a poor defense to a straight stalking hard puncher like Jerome.

Lidell does well in countering grapplers who punch at him, let's see what he can do against ultra aggressive hitters in MMA that can slug inside and I'd like to see how he would fare against technicians like Feitosa and Leko and Bojansky in K-1 with more tools in their game. Lights out, Iceman.

Late Nineties GNP Glamrock and the Hammer was a fight that should have happened. I'd go with the best ever straight slam and pound Bulls ever, Coleman or Kerr over Shamrock's chance to spin off for a leg lock.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Two can play that game.

Rickson Gracie versus Bruce Lee.

The Hulk beat the Thing, I'm a happy fantasizier fight dweeb.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Haha, getting crazy now are we?

A match to the death, Jesus vs. Hitler!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Hitler was an illusion of Satan, a paranoid speed freak runt with hypnotic oratorary skills. Jesus was the real deal, he had desert cardio, he's wear Adolph out with 40 days and night of clinches mixed with vicious crosses and the occasional spinning heel hook. Booya, B***h!!

Satan, Lucifer, that's the match with God Almighty, a billion round ongoing brawl, to date, a draw.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Tyson would give Liddell the beating of his life, no matter what the rules are.

Liddell will try to stand with him, just like he does everyone else, only here's a guy who's probably the fiercest boxer of all time- and a nut to boot.

The Iceman cometh and get smasheth to pieces.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hitler was an illusion of Satan, a paranoid speed freak runt with hypnotic oratorary skills. Jesus was the real deal, he had desert cardio, he's wear Adolph out with 40 days and night of clinches mixed with vicious crosses and the occasional spinning heel hook. Booya, B***h!!

Satan, Lucifer, that's the match with God Almighty, a billion round ongoing brawl, to date, a draw.
I was thinking Jesus would finalize with a crucifix choke :D

Tyson would give Liddell the beating of his life, no matter what the rules are.

Liddell will try to stand with him, just like he does everyone else, only here's a guy who's probably the fiercest boxer of all time- and a nut to boot.

The Iceman cometh and get smasheth to pieces.
The Glory years Tyson, possibly. The Tyson of today doesn't have the heart or drive for it anymore. Of course, knowing how to defend against leg kicks and takedowns is something that boxers aren't known for...

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Battle of the name sakes
Ken Shamrock vs Frank Shamrock
Royce Gracie vs Renzo Gracie
Wandy Silva and Anderson Silva vs Tim Sylvia {tag team}
since were throwing in boxing I think Melvin Gillard Vs Zab Judah would be interesting

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the boredom killer.

I gotta say I would go against you on both of your picks, I'd take Nog by sub and Lindland by dec.

GSP vs Anderson Silva- Tough one to call, but I'd go with GSP by GnP. Although Anderson could easily make GSP look retarded standing up.
I just think a strong wrestler with good sub defense is a tough match for Nog. A. Silva - GSP is a good one. Not sure which way I'd go, but A. Silva would destroy him standing. I wonder how Penn would do standing against A. Silva?

Other ones that I liked:

Shamrock-Coleman 95/96 - I'd go with Coleman.
Semmy - Sylvia - Semmy by decision (didn't Semmy just KO Sefo?)
Kharitonov - Arlovski - Kharitonov is just tougher than Andrei
Liddell - good striker - this should happen soon and we'll see how Chuck responds

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I see a Chuck vs. CroCop matchup happening soon after CroCop strips randy of his belt. The iceman has a hard head, I don't see him being able to take Mirko in a standup war.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Honestly I see a Chuck vs. CroCop matchup happening soon after CroCop strips randy of his belt. The iceman has a hard head, I don't see him being able to take Mirko in a standup war.
I would love to see Chuck fight Crocop but hes not gonna set him self up to be destroyed. There would have to be some serious cheddar on the table.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The Glory years Tyson, possibly. The Tyson of today doesn't have the heart or drive for it anymore. Of course, knowing how to defend against leg kicks and takedowns is something that boxers aren't known for...
Possibly?? The prime Tyson would straight melt Liddell in the first two minutes of the first round. It ain't even close.

Liddell's striking is sloppy even for an MMA fighter. If he got in there and tried to throw hands with Tyson, who had unbelievable power, technique, and hand speed, he would get the worst beating of his life. Rampage whooped Liddell's ass in, for the most part, a boxing match and Rampage's boxing is leagues below Tyson's.

Normally I'd agree with you about takedowns and leg kicks, but when does Liddell ever really do those things, especially takedowns? Almost never. He always tries to stand and trade, which gets him in trouble against even pretty good stikers. So, against possibly the best puncher of all time in his prime? There's just no way, IMO.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Beautiful, two has-beens!
JLB is not a has-been, yet. He's where all athletes are at the twilight of their careers, on the slippery slope of diminishing capability that they offset by training and playing smarter or not. That will only prolong the inevitable, you have to walk away with your rep intact or get busted out in failure.

JLB's biggest problem, it appears to me, is the lack of a really good team to set him straight, he's surrounded by yesmen and hangers on who are into his fame, he needs an exit strategy of either renewed commitment and better training for probably another two more good years or get out now while still a star that can market himself into TV/Movies and fight team opportunities.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Possibly?? The prime Tyson would straight melt Liddell in the first two minutes of the first round. It ain't even close.

Liddell's striking is sloppy even for an MMA fighter. If he got in there and tried to throw hands with Tyson, who had unbelievable power, technique, and hand speed, he would get the worst beating of his life. Rampage whooped Liddell's ass in, for the most part, a boxing match and Rampage's boxing is leagues below Tyson's.

Normally I'd agree with you about takedowns and leg kicks, but when does Liddell ever really do those things, especially takedowns? Almost never. He always tries to stand and trade, which gets him in trouble against even pretty good stikers. So, against possibly the best puncher of all time in his prime? There's just no way, IMO.
The original question was Tyson vs Liddell in K-1 now. Tyson has absolutely no desire and his punching power is half of what it was. Chuck would have a very good chance of winning by using leg kicks to his advantage. Tyson in his prime would obviously KO Chuck very quickly. Tyson in his prime vs Liddell now in MMA would be tough to call.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Filho vs Lindland

Zentsov vs Arlovski

Sakuraba vs Salaverry

Jonathon Ivey vs Sherk

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

Chuck's not an idiot. I missed the in K1 now part of the question so yeah I agree chuck would get destroyed. With MMA rules though I don't think it would be an open and shut case unless chuck went in with the game plan of trading...

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Chuck always wants to trade because hes fighting wrestlers. Like Ex said hes not an idiot, he would'nt trade with Tyson in an MMA match. Ex, you think Tyson would easily beat Liddell in K-1 nowadays? I'm not sure, Tyson is really no longer the Tyson we remember. I think its possible it could look like Igor/Hoost.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Chuck always wants to trade because hes fighting wrestlers. Like Ex said hes not an idiot, he would'nt trade with Tyson in an MMA match. Ex, you think Tyson would easily beat Liddell in K-1 nowadays? I'm not sure, Tyson is really no longer the Tyson we remember. I think its possible it could look like Igor/Hoost.
Nowadays, I don't think so. Tyson is a shadow of his former self and I think chuck would go in with the gameplan of chopping his legs down, which he'd do within about 2 minutes.

The old tyson would have taken the leg shots and jumped on chuck like a pitbull on a small child wrapped in steaks if chuck didn't have the option of a takedown.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Filho vs Lindland

Zentsov vs Arlovski

Sakuraba vs Salaverry

Jonathon Ivey vs Sherk
Nice matches. Who wins, Alex?
Linland by decsision, although this really touh to call.
Arlovski by sub but I haven't seen enough of Zentsov to know for sure.
Salaverry because Saku ain't the same anymore (Not real familiar will Sala either).
Insane Clown Posse reject by whatever he wants.

"like a pitbull on a small child wrapped in steaks "
haha, nice ex.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I pretty much agree with you Jas.

Lindland by decision

Arlovski by sub is probably a good call, but Zentsov has some really heavy hands and Arlovski isn't exactly Hunt in the chin department, so thats a tough one.

Salaverry would probably beat the sh*t out of present day Saku, but I would like to think Saku would pull out a miracle.

Sherk would win despite the 70# weight difference.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Junior Silva vs Big Nog

Manhoef vs Bisping

Gina Carano vs Jason Thacker

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
How about Junior Silva vs. Sapp. I'd go with Antonio.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I would definitely go with Antonio. I think there are only a handful of fighter that can beat Antonio. He is a monster with LHW skills and athleticism. I think Antonio Silva would have a very good chance against Nog, Barnett, Sergei, pretty much anyone but Fedor or Crocop.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
You're probably right, but I'd like to see more of him. I never saw his fight against Pele. You wouldn't expect that someone who appears to have some degree of giganticism to be so athletic, but the man can move.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Against Pele he was pretty much dominating and looked like he was going to take Pele out, then Pele clips him he goes down and Pele jumps on top and the ref stops it. He was already defending himself and was not out at all. Kind of a bad stoppage IMO. That melon jaw is a hell of a target though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
GSP vs Kang- I have no clue, too close to call for me.

Tito vs Arona- I think Arona would take it by decision, although I would hope he would sub big head.

Shogun vs Babalu rematch- Shogun would dominate IMO, he's gotten so much better and Babalu has gotten worse.

Baroni vs Lee Murray- Always wanted to see this one, doubt it will ever happen. I would want Murray to KO Baroni so he could say "Who's the fuc*ing man now" with his strong british accent.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
GSP vs Kang- I have no clue, too close to call for me.

Tito vs Arona- I think Arona would take it by decision, although I would hope he would sub big head.

Shogun vs Babalu rematch- Shogun would dominate IMO, he's gotten so much better and Babalu has gotten worse.

Baroni vs Lee Murray- Always wanted to see this one, doubt it will ever happen. I would want Murray to KO Baroni so he could say "Who's the fuc*ing man now" with his strong british accent.
I have to give GSP/Kang to GSP, it would be a good fight though.

Arona vs Ortiz is no question in my mind. Arona is better than tito at his own game.

Same w/ Shogun vs Babalu.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Kang-GSP - 2 high energy, athletic guys. I'd go with Kang cause of size. (GSP probably wouldn't fight too much over 183, I'm guessing).

Lee Murray's the man. I'd love to see that one.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Lee Murray's the man, a wanted one by the British. Currently in a Moroccan Jail, actually free on bail but fighting extradition to the UK as an accomplice to the biggest ever cash robbery in England.

Fighter smarts don't make crook smarts, he's done. Never to be seen fighting free again.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I was being semi-sarcastic with that statement. He seemed to have a lot of potential, though, and heavy, heavy hands. Last I heard Lightning Lee was out in a few months and that he was a Moroccan citizen so they wouldn't let the Brits take him away. So did he officially KO Tito in a street fight or what?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
An excerpt from a March 22nd Interview with Pat Militech talking about the MFS fighters and a lot of other things.

BOXING - CBS SportsLine.com

Q: MMA legend has it that Tito Ortiz and Lee Murray got into a fight outside of a nightclub following UFC 38 in London in 2002. According to rumors, you and Matt Hughes had to break up the fight. Is that story true, and if so, who came out the winner?

PM: Lee Murray knocked him out. Tito came after Lee. It was something that should have never happened; it was a scuffle outside of a nightclub. A friend of Tito's jumped on my back goofing around -- who is actually a real nice guy, we get along. And he was just goofing around, jumped on my back and acted like he was choking me from behind and one of my fighters, Tony Fryklund, thought that he was actually attacking me and put him in a choke from behind and ripped him off my back. Well, when I turned around and saw who it was, I told my fighter, "No, let him go" and right when my fighter let him go, he (Ortiz's friend) turned around and asked my fighter, "What the hell are you doing?" And then one of the guys from London, who is a friend of Lee Murray's, thought that the guy was actually causing problems and punched him and knocked him out. Then a big brawl started out of it; it was complete confusion. When the brawl started Tito took his jacket off and went after Lee, which, you know, he was just trying to defend his friend, and threw a punch at Lee and missed and then Lee hit him with a combo and knocked him out. He kicked him a couple of times, and I pushed Lee away from him to stop the fight and Tony Fryklund helped Tito up to his feet.

In the end, Tito and his friends were running around saying that we started the fight and everything else. It was just a stupid deal that happened. But yeah, Lee knocked him out.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That clears it up, thanks Rogue.

Lee pretty much got picked apart by Anderson Silva in Cage Rage. I was amused that the Brit announcers were really pumping up Lee even though Anderson was dominating.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
bump this old biotch. The two winners of the main events in each event this weekend. BJ vs Franky at 185.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wayne Weems - Jason Thacker in the TUF outcast vs. TUF outcast match.

I'd like to see Frank fight Ninja to unify the belts.

As far as BJ at 185, I think he'd gas faster than Rogue Drone after Indian food. It is an interesting match of talented underachiever vs. talented underachiever, though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I think I've got to go with Weems even with the weight disadvantage. Ninja/Frank would be a great fight. I think I'd take Frank in that one. You might think I'm crazy for this next suggestion. Anderson Silva vs. Cheik Kongo. Crazy skill vs good skill/size. Ever seen the vid of Silva sparring with Big Nog, damn Silva seems to have a good chin.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Damn, I think I've got to go with Weems even with the weight disadvantage. Ninja/Frank would be a great fight. I think I'd take Frank in that one. You might think I'm crazy for this next suggestion. Anderson Silva vs. Cheik Kongo. Crazy skill vs good skill/size. Ever seen the vid of Silva sparring with Big Nog, damn Silva seems to have a good chin.
I'll have to check out that video. Nog isn't exactly a power puncher, though.

I'd like to see Silva's standup vs. Crocop's, honestly, at least in a whose standup is better sort of way. Or Anderson vs. Chuck, just comparing standup. I think Anderson would make Chuck look bad.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'll have to check out that video. Nog isn't exactly a power puncher, though.

I'd like to see Silva's standup vs. Crocop's, honestly, at least in a whose standup is better sort of way. Or Anderson vs. Chuck, just comparing standup. I think Anderson would make Chuck look bad.
True, about Nog. I'll see if I can find that vid. Anderson, if I remember correctly, is pretty much letting Nog drill him, and does not flinch. Clearly nobody at 185 can f*ck with Anderson standing up, just shoot n pray you don't eat something nasty on the way in. Chuck vs Anderson would be interesting. Would Chuck try to fight Anderson the way he fought Pele, g n p?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
True, about Nog. I'll see if I can find that vid. Anderson, if I remember correctly, is pretty much letting Nog drill him, and does not flinch. Clearly nobody at 185 can f*ck with Anderson standing up, just shoot n pray you don't eat something nasty on the way in. Chuck vs Anderson would be interesting. Would Chuck try to fight Anderson the way he fought Pele, g n p?
Never seen his fight with Pele. I don't think Chuck would take it to the ground with too many people, but coming off his loss he may not think the same way.

How about Cung Le vs. A. Silva, again just really considering the standup? I'd definitely take Silva, but Le seems to read people really well and stay out of danger. Seems like you have to pressure him and get inside. Le definitely has some unique standup in the MMA world, though.