R.i.p

  1. Registered User
    rayballs03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Arizona
    Age
    44
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    155

    R.i.p


    Arizona native Glibert Aldana,29,father of two, drowned this past Sunday as he was boating in Lake Pleasant. He was a local Arizona Rage in the Cage fighter and also fought in UFC twice, losing both fights. He will be missed by many in the valley!!!!

  2. Avant's #1 Stunna'
    Board Sponsor
    Sir Savage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    1185

    Very tragic. Condolences to his friends and family.
  3. Registered User
    daniel35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    276
    Rep Power
    302

    When the first person in america dies during a mma match do you guys think it will have a extreme impact on the haters to ban the sport again? I could really see someone like Tank or even Dan Severn dropping dead during a fight from a heart attack, I hope it won't happen, but it really is just a matter of time.
    •   
       

  4. Board Sponsor
    Board Sponsor
    CNizz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oceanside
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,183
    Rep Power
    683

    sorry to hear, our condolences to his family and the MMA community
  5. Registered User
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fedor over Lindland in under 4 minutes
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,068
    Rep Power
    2648

    Quote Originally Posted by daniel35 View Post
    When the first person in america dies during a mma match do you guys think it will have a extreme impact on the haters to ban the sport again? I could really see someone like Tank or even Dan Severn dropping dead during a fight from a heart attack, I hope it won't happen, but it really is just a matter of time.
    What a tragedy, hope his family is doing well.

    If/when someone dies in MMA I'm sure the haters will step up, but it will only shine a light stronger on the fact that PLENTY of people die in boxing every year and no one dies in MMA. It should be a good time to show the stats of just how safe MMA is in comparison to boxing or even football.
  6. CDB
    CDB is offline
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,545
    Rep Power
    2674

    Quote Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
    What a tragedy, hope his family is doing well.

    If/when someone dies in MMA I'm sure the haters will step up, but it will only shine a light stronger on the fact that PLENTY of people die in boxing every year and no one dies in MMA. It should be a good time to show the stats of just how safe MMA is in comparison to boxing or even football.
    That assumes people are influenced by rational arguments. Likely it will result in some 'regulation' of the sport.
  7. Registered User
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    740

    Never seen in you in this section, CDB, are you a MMA Fan?

    In this case, I think you're both being paranoid. I seriously doubt that an accidental totally unrelated to MMA drowning will have any effect on the sport.
  8. Registered User
    MisterEZE's Avatar
    Stats
    6'4"  242 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Kalamazoo
    Age
    32
    Posts
    297
    Rep Power
    245

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Never seen in you in this section, CDB, are you a MMA Fan?

    In this case, I think you're both being paranoid. I seriously doubt that an accidental totally unrelated to MMA drowning will have any effect on the sport.
    I don't think they were referring to this particular incident...just linking topics in reference to Aldana's death.

    Regardless, sad thing to hear about Aldana. RIP.
  9. CDB
    CDB is offline
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,545
    Rep Power
    2674

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Never seen in you in this section, CDB, are you a MMA Fan?

    In this case, I think you're both being paranoid. I seriously doubt that an accidental totally unrelated to MMA drowning will have any effect on the sport.
    Meh, I sort of follow all fighting, from boxing to UFC to people beating each other with towels. It's one of the few things I still watch on television. I honestly don't follow it closely. I don't care to know who the people are, that they are kicking the **** out of each other is enough for me. One on one sports were always my favorite to play and watch. No team bull****, you either win or lose on your own. Watching now gets my blood up like when I was younger and could play basketball or racquetball all day and into the night and not wake up with my knees feeling like someone was hammering them all night with a steel mallet. Curse the day you realize you're getting old, Rogue, and people start dying on you, like Gilbert, and you wonder who the **** is gonna take care of his kids now.

    I don't think this death will result in 'regulation,' but the first death or two in or outside of the ring that can be plausibly linked to fights will.
  10. Registered User
    Alexander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fedor over Lindland in under 4 minutes
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,068
    Rep Power
    2648

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    Never seen in you in this section, CDB, are you a MMA Fan?

    In this case, I think you're both being paranoid. I seriously doubt that an accidental totally unrelated to MMA drowning will have any effect on the sport.
    Like EZE said, we're not referring to this incident. We're speaking of the first in ring or directly related to a fight death that will almost inevitably occur. What's your take on that, big fella?
  11. Registered User
    Rogue Drone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,226
    Rep Power
    740

    I think then when it happens, a death as a direct result of an MMA fight, MMA is now established enough to counter calls for regulation. Boxing kills an average of 11 men per year, MMA has killed just one to date. Make that two, the next time. An excellent record for safety.
  12. CDB
    CDB is offline
    Registered User
    CDB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,545
    Rep Power
    2674

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone View Post
    I think then when it happens, a death as a direct result of an MMA fight, MMA is now established enough to counter calls for regulation. Boxing kills an average of 11 men per year, MMA has killed just one to date. Make that two, the next time. An excellent record for safety.
    Once more that assumes rationality counts for anything, which it does but you have to know how to apply it. What would be relevant is not the amount of deaths in the MMA, but whether or not anyone has anything to gain from regulating it, or if someone has something to lose by not regulating it.
  •   

      
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in