America OWNS MMA!!!!!!

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This was a great showing for American MMA fighers! I cant wait to see more UFC/Pride fighters go at it! Liddell vs Wandy. And I want to see Fedor fight the winner of Couture vs Silvia. MMA is not better served by 2 divisions. We need to see the best of all come to America, just like MLB, NHL and NBA.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That's the craziest **** ever. I don't even know what to say about tonight. I just feel confused and I'm definitely the bottom feeder in the contest.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well this is the saddest day for me as an MMA fan. Wanderlei Silva, the FORMER Middleweight Champion...

But Fedor would destroy both Sylvia and Couture; the only one with a chance against him is Crocop.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Gomi has finally been exposed.

It's about time.

#1 lightweight in the world my ass.

SSFgear

SSFgear

Awards
I'm happy as hell to see James Lee win. He's a great guy. I missed the boat on a couple of the fights, I guess I'll be handing out some cash today.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Gomi has finally been exposed.

It's about time.

#1 lightweight in the world my ass.
Gomi was exposed in his first fight with Marcus Aurelio. But I have to wonder if Gomi doesn't take these non title matches seriously as on both occassions he's looked like utter sh-t. Perhaps he figures he ahs little to lose and he will best them in the rematch. But Gomi's conditioning was horrible and I don't think you can chalk it up to jet-lag.

Hopefully Diaz can get an immediate rematch for the title instead of having to fight once or twice more in Pride. I'd like to see him win the rematch and then face Mach. Though Nick has good reach adavantage I hope Sakurai can opull off the win as I'd like to see him as the lw champ.

All in all it was a great show and much better than the first one. Now I'm going to sleep.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, but a lot of people thought the Aurelio win was a fluke, but now that Diaz has shown how bad Gomi's boxing skill is and further showed how really vulnerable he is to submission, it really should become evident that Gomi is not really what people think he is.

He hits hard, I'll give him that, but that's about it. And when you can hit hard and you fight guys that you can push around pretty easily, it's not that hard to look good.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sakakibara said that Gomi and Diaz will have a rematch in April. He said in the post-fight interviews.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Rod, sorry about your boy Wandy. I really hope he can come back strong.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, what a surprising event. Certainly not what the pride matchmakers were expecting I'd wager :D

Wandy looks broken... You could see it in his face during the stare down, and during the fight he was so tentative. I think the Crocop fight messed with him. Dan Henderson did look well prepared for the fight however, so credit to him for the win.

The Overeem/Rua fight was awesome. Shogun is getting really good at those diving punches.

Gomi had obvious conditioning problems which were compounded by the fact that he didn't pace himself at all. He obviously hasn't sparred with much taller opponents either, he was eating leather to get in for his power shots. Unless he spends the next 8 weeks or so really preparing for the rematch he is going to have problems.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Holy SH!T!!! Wandy got HANDLED! You could totally see the fear in his face after the first couple of exchanges. Just imagine the mental boost it must give you to be able to bull-dog the Axe Murderer and see that he is scared of your power. Holy crap! I was NOT expecting it to go down like that. Props to Henderson.
Overall, this was one of the best MMA events I've seen in quite some time. But did anyone notice how, not only Gomi but Diaz as well, looked really winded REALLY early on? Also, while Diaz obviously dominated, his stand-up was a little wierd. They both kept their hands really low and Diaz had his chin right up in the air. Maybe he felt like he could take it but one shot placed him firmly on the canvas. Other than that, it was a great showing although most of the time it seemed like it was in slow motion.
Also, it seems that Pride is a bit more high-brow in the celebrities that it attracts. In the early days of the UFC, they'd have A-listers n the audience but they were quickly replace by the Girls Gone Wild crowd and misc. C and D listers. I know that's neither here nor there but it is interesting. However, I'm pretty certain that Cage and Ford were there as part of some strategic PR campaign. Another thing that I found hilarious was that whenever the camera went to the crowd, they only showed some "passed her prime" woman trying to sex it up for the camera. HAHAHA! But whatever, it was a great night of fighting and I'm still buzzed about it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, what a surprising event. Certainly not what the pride matchmakers were expecting I'd wager :D

Wandy looks broken... You could see it in his face during the stare down, and during the fight he was so tentative. I think the Crocop fight messed with him. Dan Henderson did look well prepared for the fight however, so credit to him for the win.

The Overeem/Rua fight was awesome. Shogun is getting really good at those diving punches.

Gomi had obvious conditioning problems which were compounded by the fact that he didn't pace himself at all. He obviously hasn't sparred with much taller opponents either, he was eating leather to get in for his power shots. Unless he spends the next 8 weeks or so really preparing for the rematch he is going to have problems.
Pretty much agree with this.

Dan definitely looked ready for this fight and if someone were to beat Wandy I guess I'm happy it's him. Hopefully this means Shogun getting a shot at the belt.

Kharitonov was sloppy and unimpressive.

Poor Nog. He got caught. Anyone can be KOed.

A little OT but anyone ever notice how disproportionately large Overeems biceps are.

Somewhere Dana is smiling at his reject, Diaz, beating Pride's champ and Wandy going down.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I lost some respect for Hendo in his interview saying that he wants to try to take the HW title and that Wandy's after-party was at the hospital. Shogun was really pissed off as well, so I hope that fight happens in the next few months. The next US PPV makes sense.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I lost some respect for Hendo in his interview saying that he wants to try to take the HW title and that Wandy's after-party was at the hospital. Shogun was really pissed off as well, so I hope that fight happens in the next few months. The next US PPV makes sense.
Yeah, I'd like to see Shogun hurt Hendo. I hope Wandy rebounds from this, he just wasn't himself for whatever reason. I can't believe Hendo wants Fedor. Wasn't it not too long ago that he was having some trouble with the welterweights? One big win against a shell of Wandy and he thinks he wants Fedor. Sh*t, if he is asking for it I hope they give it to him. He probably will change his mind once he sees what Fedor does to his boy Stinkland. Hendo is amazing in the way he fights up to his level of competition, but yeah he pissed me off with the hospital statement.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Wandy is how old? 30? been fighting for over 10 years straight?

I think he needs to seriously reevaluate, probably needs reevaluation from others away from Chute Box, his training and supplementation and maybe his lifestyle.

Since just before the Cro Cop fight - the look in his eyes, the slowdown in his verbal responses during interviewing, his swollen jaw, his appearing musclebound - much heavier in the upper torso than in years past that's affecting his fluidity all suggest to me that he's doing the wrong things, he needs a long break and a new plan.

I think that Wandy is getting punchdrunk, the accumulation of hits and possibly his supplements, probably some gear from the size increase of him, the combination of CNS impairment and hard to manage mass is not working well for him.

I'll be the first to say that I don't know that much about MMA, but Athletes and their general ways and means, that I know.

Seperately, I thought Josh Barnett did a great job commentating.

Bionic - "passed their prime people sexing it up" is the tagline of Vegas.

If nothing else, Nick Diaz is one tough hombre, kid's bad to the bone.

Kharitononv needs to get into better shape, very few people can look like Fedor and still perform like he does.

Ireland was scrappy, but Hellboy looked in command the whole time, that guy has skillz. He and Diaz would be a great fight.

Shogun finally getting a long overdue title shot, that's great.

Pride Titles need to be fought under Pride Rules, NSAC rules are too restrictive.

That's all I got, for now.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm happy as hell to see James Lee win. He's a great guy. I missed the boat on a couple of the fights, I guess I'll be handing out some cash today.
Did you guys have Lee on PCP, kidding of course, and thats actually a compliment. He was attacking like an animal. Wiuff was completely dumbfounded. Great way to make your debut in Pride, even though it was Wiuff. I remembered Lee as being not very aggressive from his KOTC fights. I guess he understood the opportunity. Isn't Lee scheduled to fight in the UFC in the next couple of months?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I liked the commentating trio of Barnett, Trigg, Lon Mcharris(?). Solid combo.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Lon Mceachern. He did the commentating on a most of the K-1 and ISKA fights on ESPN.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Bionic - "passed their prime people sexing it up" is the tagline of Vegas.
Hahaha! I guess you're right, brother. Just a big difference between the chicks w/the UFC and the scallywags that were on camera for Pride. The phrase "Rode hard and hung up wet" springs to mind. I have to say that I enjoyed the commentary team, though.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wandy interview from Sherdog said this:

He said he can't believe how he has beaten bigger guys, and lost the belt to a smaller guy.

Said he has no problem with Shogun challenging Dan for the title.

Said he really appreciates the American fans, made him feel good they wanted his picture/autograph.

Said he had a fever and sore throat for the fight vs. Dan.

Said his gameplan for the fight was to feel things out Rd1, take Dan to the ground and wear him down Rd2, and Rd3 he was gonna open up with strikes. Said Dan caught him before he could catch Dan.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
That sounds about right. Wandy seems like a stand-up guy. I just wish he didn't have to go and talk about his sore throat and fever. He knew he was sick when he stepped into the ring. No EXCUSES! When they were toe to toe in the center of the ring tee'ing off (right before the KO) I knew someone was going to get KTFO'D...just didn't think it'd be Wanderlei!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That sounds about right. Wandy seems like a stand-up guy. I just wish he didn't have to go and talk about his sore throat and fever. He knew he was sick when he stepped into the ring. No EXCUSES! When they were toe to toe in the center of the ring tee'ing off (right before the KO) I knew someone was going to get KTFO'D...just didn't think it'd be Wanderlei!
Wandy said he had a fever and strep, but he also said that he doubted it was a factor in the fight. The interviewer brought it up, not Wandy.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. It's not like it would've changed my opinion of him, though. He's still one of my favorite fighters.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
For you guys who train in bjj, it seems like it would be easy to see a gogoplata coming. Of course sitting on the couch it's easy to make statements like that. Is it easy to get caught in a gogoplata? Is there a surprise element to it because it isn't used as often?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For you guys who train in bjj, it seems like it would be easy to see a gogoplata coming. Of course sitting on the couch it's easy to make statements like that. Is it easy to get caught in a gogoplata? Is there a surprise element to it because it isn't used as often?
Gomi looked gassed so I think that is the reason he got caught so easily. Also, Diaz went directly into the movement as soon as he was taken down.

size

Awards
  • Established
The "gogo" is a pretty difficult sub to get on someone. Usually, one will feel the leg crawling up the back and change positions. Diaz got is leg in position in a much different fashion than usual and it obviously worked well. I was rather surprised by how he put it on. (Aside- many individuals do not have the hip flexibility to really use it effectively)

Overall, I really enjoyed this card. Excellent fights with lots of action and an element of unpredictability. Most disappointing for me was Gomi's performance. His obviously poor conditioning and his ability to not finish Diaz when he had a chance was surprising. On the same note though, I was really impressed with Diaz's ability to stay in the fight and turn it in his favor.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, according to the NSAC injury report, Diazs' orbital was broken at some point too and he hung tough.

Attachments

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hendo also broke his right hand. I am not sure which bone though.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Gogoplata is difficult sub to pull off. IME even when caught in one you can only block off one of the carotid arteries and you turn your hea to the opposite side of the trapped arm so avoid a full choke and alleviate pressure on the windpipe. In a comp I don't think I would tap to it but in an exhausted state it may be enough to force a tap.

I wonder if it's true that once you are KOd you're much more prone to it the next time around. Or perhaps it's the psychological effect that makes one timid, wonder if this will affect Franklin in a similar manner as it has Wand and Loiseau.