Pride 33 Picks Contest!

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Get your picks in by Saturday at 9pm. The rules have been tweaked slightly. Pick all fights and pick method for all fights. 2 points per correct pick and 1 point for each correct method pick. In addition, for the main event pick a stoppage time, this is for the tie-breaker if necessary. Example would be RD2 4:05, which to clear any confusion means 5:55 sec into the fight. Method is either KO, Submission, or Decision. Reps are due from all the losers to the winner.

Pride 33 lineup
Wandy vs Dan Henderson
Mauricio Rua vs Alistair Overeem
Takanori Gomi vs Nick Diaz
Hayato Sakurai vs Mac Danzig
Kazuo Misaki vs Frank Trigg
Rogerio Nog vs Sokoud Jou
Joachim Hansen vs Jason Ireland
Sergei Kharitonov vs Michael Russow

Travis Wiuff match will not be included, as it is already wednesday and they have not found a replacement for Nak yet!

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wandy - decision
Rua - sub
Gomi - TKO
Sakurai - decision
Misaki - decision
Nog - sub
Hansen - KO
Sergei - KO

Main event - Wand-Henderson - 25:00 (I'm assuming this is 5 5 min rounds)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Gomi - TKO
Trigg - Decision
Overeem - TKO
Sergei - KO
Nog - Sub
Danzig - TKO
Hansen - TKO
Wandy - TKO 3:00 RD2

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Crack kills, thanks for the PM's fellas.

M

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Wanderlei Silva vs Dan Henderson [Decision]
Takanori Gomi vs Nick Diaz [Decision]
Shogun Rua vs Alistair Overeem [TKO Stoppage R2]
Mach Sakurai vs Mac Danzig [KO R2]
Kazuo Misaki vs Frank Trigg [Sub R3]
Rogerio Nogueira vs Rameau Sokoudjou [TKO R2]
Joachim Hansen vs Jason Ireland [Sub R2]
Sergei Kharitonov vs Mike Russow [TKO R1]

is Travis Wiuff still fighting even though Nakamura had to pull out from injury??

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wandy - decision
Rua - sub
Gomi - TKO
Sakurai - decision
Misaki - decision
Nog - sub
Hansen - KO
Sergei - KO

Main event - Wand-Henderson - 15:00 (I'm assuming this is 3 5 min rounds)
Hmmm, I can't remember is that what Fedor/Coleman II was? 3 5 minute rounds? I think you're correct.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wanderlei Silva vs Dan Henderson [Decision]
Takanori Gomi vs Nick Diaz [Decision]
Shogun Rua vs Alistair Overeem [TKO Stoppage R2]
Mach Sakurai vs Mac Danzig [KO R2]
Kazuo Misaki vs Frank Trigg [Sub R3]
Rogerio Nogueira vs Rameau Sokoudjou [TKO R2]
Joachim Hansen vs Jason Ireland [Sub R2]
Sergei Kharitonov vs Mike Russow [TKO R1]

is Travis Wiuff still fighting even though Nakamura had to pull out from injury??
I believe he is fighting, but they have not found a replacement for Nak yet so I decided to leave Wiuff's fight out of the mix. I added that up top once I edited my post.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
But this is a title fight and Fedor/Coleman was non-title.
Oh really, I thought that was a title fight for some reason. Honestly, I don't know what 2+2 is right now. I'm gonna go and try and figure out if the main event is 5x5 or what.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Good point, Rodja. Sherdoggers are saying 5 5-minute rounds according to NSAC rules.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Wandy via decision
Mauricio Rua via TKO
Nick Diaz via decision
Hayato Sakurai via TKO
Frank Trigg via decision
Rogerio Nog via submission
Joachim Hansen via TKO
Sergei Kharitonov via TKO

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Thanks fellas, for getting the time on the main event squared away.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wandy-KO RD2 2:00min
Rua-KO
Gomi-KO
Sakurai-KO
Misaki-Dec
Nog-Sub
Hansen-KO
Kharitonov-KO

I *****ed out on my all KO policy.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have until Saturday @ 9pm to edit, right? I'm torn on Diaz. I think he could do it either by decision or submission.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I have until Saturday @ 9pm to edit, right? I'm torn on Diaz. I think he could do it either by decision or submission.
Yep, 9pm saturday is the deadline. Gomi/Diaz is tough to pick, anything could happen in that fight, although a Gomi sub is not likely.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
If you go with sub, everyone will know you just copied my pick.
Again, Gomi does'nt have his belt on the line, WTF is with Pride?

If the Hendo_Silva fight had a ten minute round, I'd go with TKO for Wandy, the shorter round(s) should help Hendo survive for a decision loss.

The latest Sherdog scuttlebutt is that Gomi is going to pull out and be replaced by Josh Neer, just Sherdog talk, as of now.

And Hendo thinks Wandy is a Steroid Superman.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Rogue, if you'd like to win I recommend waiting til the last minute and copying my picks and then doing a price is right style 1 sec over or under on my main event time. For the record, if anyone does anything like that they will pay dearly.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I agree with the last second sniper strategy, I use software that does that to win Ebay auctions, but I don't think you'll be the person I'll copy, :duel:

If I "faded" your picks, did the opposite, that might work well. :stick:

I'll stick with what I wrote, they were copied from an analyst's piece anyway, there's a bunch of fighters here I don't know anything about.

UFC 68 will be all me, as I fail miserably, aka "Savaging" it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I may start "fading" my own picks, is that even possible? I'm actually liking your picks, but I think the 25 minute main event may end up costing you, mind games.

I'm wondering if we should do some mild recruiting for this picks contest. I may recruit a few people as the event nears.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Who do you have in mind, Alex? who's into MMA around here that does'nt currently play the picks?

SS, you should recruit some of the regulars at the M & M MMA subforum to play here, where the fight Brainiacs are at.

I'm gonna recruit my cat, Smitty, he has a nose for talent, when he's not screaming at me to give him a belly rub and a pile of treats, spoiled rotten little bastard.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SS, you should recruit some of the regulars at the M & M MMA subforum to play here, where the fight Brainiacs are at.
I'll do that. But y'all gotta' start coming around there more often, too.

Not necessarily the MMA forum, but the whole shindig.

And if I may say so, the Inner Circle is tiiiiight. I love it- access to the industry's biggest ballers.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Who do you have in mind, Alex? who's into MMA around here that does'nt currently play the picks?

I'm gonna recruit my cat, Smitty, he has a nose for talent, when he's not screaming at me to give him a belly rub and a pile of treats, spoiled rotten little bastard.
There's a couple guys that post once or twice a month that could be interested. Maybe some of Mullett's boys aka snugglers.

I too have a cat that owns me. She will sqwuak at me until I feed her or pet her. She also wants to be fed every 20 minutes, and I feel bad cause she's getting older and I know it can't be good for her health to be eating so much, but she will f*ck me up if I don't feed her.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BTW, M & M might start having relatively more MMA focus than it does now if I have my way. There's talk of bringing in members of a well-known MMA family for different things, etc.

I have very little to do with M & M because AL operates completely independently from M & M now (even though they are both under the same corp) but I'm discussing some interesting things with other companies and people that could happen in the not to distant future.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'll do that. But y'all gotta' start coming around there more often, too.

Not necessarily the MMA forum, but the whole shindig.

And if I may say so, the Inner Circle is tiiiiight. I love it- access to the industry's biggest ballers.
I'll make my way over their asap. Looking forward to chatting with the MMA brainiacs, as Rogue says.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Why are people picking Diaz over Gomi? Nick has a bad attitude and he'll try to stand with Gomi and it's going to cost him.

So is anyone else going to be at the actual event?

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Have you ever been there, Alex? It's a great place. A nice variety is there.

If you want to shoot the sh*t and goof around, you can do that. And of course, if you want hardcore science on just about any subject but especially supplements, physiology, etc., the place is legendary for that.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
M & M is long on supplement and general smarts, not so much on MMA talk.

Rodja and Ersatz has been seen over there, other than that, the Brainacs are over here, not there.

SS hangs over here, causes that forum is a chirping cricket field of SS often talking to himself, his posts hang unresponded to for days.

And SS, if it's the Gracies or Shamrock families you speak of, count me out, I'm a vehement antinuthugger of those two clans, and that ain't sarcasm.

S

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Why are people picking Diaz over Gomi? Nick has a bad attitude and he'll try to stand with Gomi and it's going to cost him.
I personally think Gomi is overrated and has some glaring weaknesses that a slick melon feeler like Diaz can exploit.

Gomi won't have anything for Diaz that he hasn't seen before.

Of course, if I'm wrong, then I never actually said any of this.

R

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established

I'm picking Diaz because if he's smart he won't stand for too long with Gomi, he is hard to KO and he may be able to exploit Gomi's weakness on the ground if he can tie him up.

Plus I'm just generally a contrarian by nature.

I have an invite to the event, I might go, but I've heard that it's much better to watch on a monitor, visibilities generally suck, that's the word on the UFC, anyway.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established

I picked Gomi, but I really think it could go either way. Diaz is tough as hell, with a great chin, and great skills. He's always fought top tier guys that are 15 pounds heavier than him. Now he's fighting a guy his size, it should be good.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Have you ever been there, Alex? It's a great place. A nice variety is there.

If you want to shoot the sh*t and goof around, you can do that. And of course, if you want hardcore science on just about any subject but especially supplements, physiology, etc., the place is legendary for that.
Never been their. I'll sign up tonight or tomorrow. Also if you can recruit some of the more reasonable MMA posters from m&m to participate in this contest that would be good.

S

size

Awards
  • Established
Travis Wiuff vs. James Lee This is now the matchup since Nakamura is out.

Predictions:
Winners in blue
Wandy vs Dan Henderson - Silva via KO 4minute RD2
Mauricio Rua vs Alistair Overeem - Rua via KO
Takanori Gomi vs Nick Diaz - Gomi via KO
Hayato Sakurai vs Mac Danzig - Sakurai via submission
Kazuo Misaki vs Frank Trigg - Misaki via submission
Rogerio Nog vs Sokoud Jou - Nog via submission
Joachim Hansen vs Jason Ireland - Hansen via KO
Sergei Kharitonov vs Michael Russow - Sergei via KO

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I personally think Gomi is overrated and has some glaring weaknesses that a slick melon feeler like Diaz can exploit.

Gomi won't have anything for Diaz that he hasn't seen before.

Of course, if I'm wrong, then I never actually said any of this.
"Slick melon feeler" - What does this mean? (I'm laughing, though)

I'll check out MM one of these days too.

I agree with Ersatz that Diaz's mentality/willingness to stand may be his downfall. He's no pushover, though.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Diaz has fought some decent strikers in terms of power but they weren't very technical like gomi is. And none of them seem to work the body as much as Gomi. Diaz is a small guy for 170 so at 160 he might be emaciated. And his takedowns aren't that spectacular either. It has the potential to be a great fight though.

Wanderlei Silva vs Dan Henderson - Wand Rd 1 TKO 4:00

Takanori Gomi vs Nick Diaz - Gomi TKO Rd2 3:00 or decision win

Hayato Sakurai vs Mac Danzig - Mach by sub rd2

Kazuo Misaki vs Frank Trigg - Trigg by TKO rd3

Mauricio Shogun vs Alistair Overeem - Shogun by sub rd1

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs Sokoudjou - Nog by sub rd1

Joachim Hansen vs Jason Ireland - Hansen by TKO rd2

Sergei Kharitonov vs Mike Russow - Khar by dec

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guess I am the only one taking Overeem and Danzig? I think the shorter rounds will help Overeem and I have a feeling about Danzig for some reason.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Guess I am the only one taking Overeem and Danzig? I think the shorter rounds will help Overeem and I have a feeling about Danzig for some reason.
Never thought about that with Overeem, but that could play a big role. Don't know that much about Danzig.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Never thought about that with Overeem, but that could play a big role. Don't know that much about Danzig.
Also, Shogun hasn't looked very good since coming back from his elbow injury.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established

Overeem is still lost on the ground and that's where Rua should take it.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Also, Shogun hasn't looked very good since coming back from his elbow injury.
I agree with you 100% about Shogun and the shorter rounds helping Alistair, but I still had to go with Shogun. I very well may change that by saturday though.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Overeem is still lost on the ground and that's where Rua should take it.

I can see Danzig pulling the upset but I like Hansen so I'll go with him.
Danzig is fighting Mach Sakurai. I don't think Alistair is that lost on the ground, except when he's gassed, which is somewhat often.

E

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Danzig is fighting Mach Sakurai. I don't think Alistair is that lost on the ground, except when he's gassed, which is somewhat often.
I know, I was thinking Hayato but typed Hansen so I edited it.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Shogun's seemed to prefer the ground since his return. I'll stick with Shogun, though, cause Allistar has not looked good either as of late.

What's the most likely upset of the night? (I consider Misaki-Trigg about even so let's ignore this one unless you really want to discuss)

I don't know what I'd say? Maybe Diaz.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think everyone Size or myself picked with the exception of maybe Misaki-Trigg, no idea who's favored there.