Wand/Henderson
Misaki/Trigg
Gomi/Diaz
Wiuff/Nakamura
Shogun/Alistair
Sakurai/Danzig
Lil Nog/Sokoud Jo?
Hellboy/Jason Ireland

This is the card so far, and I'm not sure if they'll add any more fights. I'm not getting that pumped up for this card, what do you guys think?

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
There are a few solid fights on there, but there isn't anything that makes me squirm in anticipation.

Wand/Hendo is going to be entirely predictable. Hendo is going to get punished on his feet, he'll take the fight to the ground, Wand will tie him up for a ref breakup or manage to stand back up. Wash, rinse, repeat. It'll either go to judges scorecard or we'll see a round 3 KO by Wand, since Hendo often gasses.

Gomi/Diaz is going to be pretty predictable too. Gomi is going to pound on Diaz, while Diaz tries for a takedown. Only difference here is that Gomi has a good chance of taking the upper hand after Diaz takes him down. This one is probably not going to go 3 rounds, I say Gomi by KO in round 2.

Shogun/Alistair, this I kind of want to see. Alistair is a technically very proficient fighter, but he lacks both gas and willpower. Shogun is Shogun - he is going to want to do this on his feet, though if things start going poorly for him he will transition it to the ground. This should be a slugfest, with neither man wanting to back down an inch.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Shogun/Overeem's Bushido fight was very competitive until Overeem just gassed or gave up. The pace that they kept for the first few minutes was insane. Overeem is definitely dangerous all the time. This should be a good test for Shogun. Overeem gets a lot of heat, some deservedly, but who has he lost to? Arona, Shogun, Werdum, Lil Nog, Liddell. Most fighters do lose to those guys. No shame there. I think he'd still stomp most UFC LHWs.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
I'm not so sure how excited I am about this card either. On one hand, there are a few great match-ups but then the others...

Wand/Hendo - Not sure why this fight is happening. Not that I care. If it resembles their first fight at all...LOOK OUT!! But really, Hendo needs to lose that title...soon.

Trigg/Misaki - I think this fight actually has some potential. Misaki has impressed lately and Trigg usually puts on a decent fight.

Gomi/Diaz - I am looking forward to this fight. A lot of people sell Diaz short. He's only been finished once in his career, and lost some close decisions to top notch competition. His grappling is out of this world and he is just one tough *******. We all know about Gomi, the question is which Gomi will show up. He handled Ishida (a great grappler) but his three fights previous were terrible. If Diaz can get this on the ground I like his chances for a sub. If not, Gomi by decision.

Shogun/Overeem - We've seen this fight before. I see it ending the same way. I really like Overeem, he's got tons of potential, but he just can't pull it out. Perhaps he should go back up to HW?

As for the rest of the card...I enjoy watching everyone of the favorites...Nak, Hellboy, Lil Nog, Sakurai...and actually, I've only seen Danzig fight once...so, that could be an interesting match up as well.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wand/Hendo should be pretty good. I don't see Hendo taking Wand down this time. If he does I think Wand will be back up quickly. Wand should get the KO this time, maybe in the 2nd.

Trigg/Misaki should be good. I'm predicting an early finish, not sure by who.

Alistair/Shogun should be good. I'm predicting an upset from Alistair, don't really know why. Shogun has looked a little sluggish lately.

Gomi/Diaz should be good too. Tough to pick. I think either have the tools to beat the other. Should be exciting, starting with the staredown.

Those 4 all have potential, but like Ex said, nothing thats making me squirm. The other 4 fights probably won't be very competitive. I really like Hellboy, Mach, Nak, and Lil Nog, but there opponents are gonna have a tough time making the fights competitive. Should be 2 or more KO's out of these bottom 4 fights, which is always nice. Hopefully they'll add another fight or 2. I'm pissed Yvel/Kharitonov isn't happening, no idea what the deal is with that.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gomi/Diaz - I am looking forward to this fight. A lot of people sell Diaz short. He's only been finished once in his career, and lost some close decisions to top notch competition. His grappling is out of this world and he is just one tough *******. We all know about Gomi, the question is which Gomi will show up. He handled Ishida (a great grappler) but his three fights previous were terrible. If Diaz can get this on the ground I like his chances for a sub. If not, Gomi by decision.
I think this fight has pretty good potential depending on which fighters show up. Diaz's strength is definitely on the ground, but he traded with Lawler for about a round and a half before he knocked him out (granted Lawler is a hot/cold type fighter). I agree with Mistereze though-Gomi by decision.

Trigg/Misaki should be good. I'm predicting an early finish, not sure by who.
Misaki (by RNC if he has done his homework--granted I have not seen any of Triggs fights since GSP)

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Decent card I suppose.

I really want to see Diaz catch Gomi in a submission. I think Gomi is overrated and sooner or later, I think he'll be exposed. Hopefully by Diaz and that's who I'm going with.

Overeem is a lot like Belfort in his ability to not show up for a fight. He's got a ton of talent he can't seem to bring it out in the big fights. If he shows up, could be trouble for Shogun, but I'm still picking Shogun.

Trigg is coming off of the momentum of his licking of Mayhem and he's really worked on his RNC defense. I'm going with Trigg.

Wandy is probably going to whoop Hendo but keep in mind that he can't use his knees or stomps to the head on the ground, which is a big part of his game. Ya' never know, that could make a big difference.

ChiTown72

ChiTown72

Board Supporter
Awards
Shogun , Wand, and Gomi should all come home with wins

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
...Trigg is coming off of the momentum of his licking of Mayhem and he's really worked on his RNC defense. I'm going with Trigg.
Eh, there goes that theory for me...I don't like Trigg though, so I'll still take Misaki.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Too bad the Kharitonov-Yvel fight has been cancelled. Oh well, it probably would have ended with Sergei on his back eating knees again, Alex :twisted:

Wand by KO.
Gomi by decision
Misaki by ref stoppage
Shogun weathers storm and subs Alistair

others are predictable. It's an okay card overall, better than most UFCs for sure. I wonder if Pride still has the cash to put on the level of some of the cards that we've seen in the past... OWGP finals, Final Conflict 05...

It's about time for Contest #2.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Too bad the Kharitonov-Yvel fight has been cancelled. Oh well, it probably would have ended with Sergei on his back eating knees again, Alex :twisted:

Wand by KO.
Gomi by decision
Misaki by ref stoppage
Shogun weathers storm and subs Alistair

others are predictable. It's an okay card overall, better than most UFCs for sure. I wonder if Pride still has the cash to put on the level of some of the cards that we've seen in the past... OWGP finals, Final Conflict 05...

It's about time for Contest #2.
I'm a little worried too, that the best Pride cards are behind us, hopefully not. Oh, and about Sergei, I think that crazy basta*d likes taking punishment to some extent. I'm still hoping he makes it on the card, oh and F U about Sergei on his back taking knees to the face:duel:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Haha, joking aside, I like Sergei and hope he can make a run at the title.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sergei is supposedly waiting on a visa, and is somewhat likely to make this card.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
That is one of few complaints I have about Pride, they're not big on title fights.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
That is one of few complaints I have about Pride, they're not big on title fights.
This really starts to grind on me after awhile as well. However, I'm torn as to whether or not they should have title fights in the US. It'd open a whole new disturbing discussion if titles changed hands under the watered-down rules. Imagine Wandy losing his belt to Hendo because of point deductions for illegal strikes, or Hendo obviously benefiting from a position that would normally be Silva's bread and butter (which I see happening). The titles need to be defended, but under the rules by which they were won.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
According to MMA Weekly Rumors section, they can't liscense Yvel with the NSAC due to his assault of a ref in Europe.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
According to MMA Weekly Rumors section, they can't liscense Yvel with the NSAC due to his assault of a ref in Europe.
Since Sergei has his Visa issues settled hopefully they'll find someone else short notice for him to fight. Fujita was suppose to be on this card, if they put Fujita/Sergei on the card I will **** my pants.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
The latest is that Josh Barnett will be commentating in place of Frank Trigg.

Y'all want to run another contest on this event? If we do, we'll have to tune the rules so there is only one winner, there can be only one.

Looking ahead, April is going to be sweet - 2 Prides, 2 UFCs, 1 UFN and maybe Fedor at Bodog, otherwise forget Bodog and Bif Naked.
Definitely want to do another contest for this event. I'll try to think of a good tie-breaker.

We also have a decent looking Cage Rage in April and Shamrock/Baroni is suppose to happen on the 21st.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Definitely want to do another contest for this event. I'll try to think of a good tie-breaker.

We also have a decent looking Cage Rage in April and Shamrock/Baroni is suppose to happen on the 21st.
Is Sapp fighting in Cage Rage now? I'm surprised the DEbt Collector got KOed by Butterbean and poor Kerr at the last Cage Rage.

There will be a lot of temporary baroni fans for that one.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Is Sapp fighting in Cage Rage now? I'm surprised the DEbt Collector got KOed by Butterbean and poor Kerr at the last Cage Rage.

There will be a lot of temporary baroni fans for that one.
Yeah, Sapp is signed, but I don't think he'll be on the april card, hopefully I'm wrong about that though. Thompson is not the smartest guy, he tried to trade with Bean, why not take Bean down and just win? Kerr should just retire, and coach or something.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sergei's got a can to knock out. Nakamura's out due to injury.

Russian heavyweight Sergei Kharitonov (Pictures) (13-3-0) will make his U.S. fighting debut Saturday on PRIDE's card in Las Vegas, the Japanese promoter announced via its Web site Tuesday.

Loser of two in a row, Kharitonov looks to rebound against American Michael Russow (3-0-0, 1 NC), a late addition after the Nevada State Athletic Commission denied Dutch fighter Gilbert Yvel (Pictures) a license to fight last week.

It was also announced that Japan's Kazuhiro Nakamura (Pictures) is out of his fight against Travis Wiuff (Pictures) because of an injury to his left knee. A replacement for Nakamura is under consideration.

Anyone want to volunteer to run the contest this time? I'm not sure that I'll have time and Rogue said he may not either.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I believe we decided to pick a stoppage time for the main event to determine a sole winner. For instance, I will be picking Rd 4 2:25 in. I gotta go do some research for some of these prelims in order to make a somewhat educated prediction. This card is pretty decent IMO, glad to see Fitch on the card, he is a top guy IMO. I even think he can give GSP some trouble.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Figures, I had this one in the bag.:rolleyes:

So the card looks like this now.

Wanderlei Silva vs. Dan Henderson
Mauricio Rua vs. Alistair Overeem
Takanori Gomi vs. Nick Diaz
Travis Wiuff vs. TBA
Hayato Sakurai vs. Mac Danzig
Kazuo Misaki vs. Frank Trigg
Antonio Rogerio Nogueira vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
Joachim Hansen vs. Jason Ireland
Sergei Kharitonov vs. Michael Russow

My picks

Wandy - decision
Rua - sub
Gomi - TKO
Sakurai - decision
Misaki - decision
Nog - sub
Hansen - KO
Sergei - KO

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Might as well clarify this now.

The proposal,as I understand it, is to do 2 points per winner, and 1 point for method on all the fights, not just the televised ones, and to pick the time to end on the main event, in this case Sylvia_Couture.

For example , if Alex picked RD 4 2:25 that would be 17:35 minutes, if I picked RD 2 3:00 that would be 7:00, if the fight was off at RD3
4:00, that would be 11:00, I would be closer.

All to choose a tiebreaker end time, but I would only calculate that number for use in the event of a tie on the winners/methods.

Agree, Diagree, comments?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
You guys are free to do a contest on this one, that's up to you, I would participate, but not score it.

Whoever goes for it, better make a new thread of it.

Who we gonna Punk this time? :twisted:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good to me. I think just adding the method to the nontelevised ones will more widely distribute the scores but the tiebreaker sounds good (if many pick a decision it won't matter too much, though).

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
No, we only picked method on the 5 televised fights. I say why not pick method for all fights. Anybody not like that?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Right, we only picked on the TV ones last time, the proposal for this one is to do all.

2 points winner, 1 point method - allfights, and a tiebreaker of the endtime on the Main event

Go ahead and run one on this event, Alexander, you administer and score it.

I'll do the UFC 68 one.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sounds good, lets get it on. These contests are the only way I can get rep points, reps are few and far between for a guy with my personality.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think probably the easiest way to handle this contest is just go ahead and declare me the winner.

'Cause I'm gonna' come with it, ya' heard?

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
BTW, I need to tell y'all, whoever was in on my punking needs to keep an eye out for when we release the finals of SyntheSIZE and SuperCarb because remember, y'all get some of either one on me. Just send me a PM when you see the announcement.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
As someone once said "Nothing to say, all things to do".

No matter how this one goes, I won't be worried about my job security, I answer to no one.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
****Waiting on Rogue's inevitable edit*******

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
As someone once said "Nothing to say, all things to do".

No matter how this one goes, I won't be worried about my job security, I answer to no one.
Yeah, I'm a big fan of Lewis Carroll, too.

You don't even answer to your Uncle Sam?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
BTW, I need to tell y'all, whoever was in on my punking needs to keep an eye out for when we release the finals of SyntheSIZE and SuperCarb because remember, y'all get some of either one on me. Just send me a PM when you see the announcement.
Looking forward to that. You are one of few people that would appreciate the Punk that much.