Crocop has bigger balls than I thought

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, who else noticed that Crocop came out to the PRIDE theme song? The fight didn't live up to expectations, but the cojones he showed by doing this was enough for me.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Who's going to put 110% into getting ready for a fight with some noname loser?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That had me laughing too. They mentioned Pride and Fedor tonight. I guess they figure the MMA crowd is getting more educated and they can beat Pride in the long run anyway.

Crocop looked alright, maybe a little slower than I remember him against Wandy. Eddie was circling away the whole time so it was hard for him to finish him. He gave Eddie a good beating too, you could tell by his face that he was hurting.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I actually thought he looked really good, given that it was his first fight in the cage and Sanchez was basically running the entire time.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Mirko had a very high striking percentage. Not much missed. Sanchez looked completely overwhelmed after the initial flurry. Maybe he realized that Mirko actually does hit harder than his training partner.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
So, who else noticed that Crocop came out to the PRIDE theme song? The fight didn't live up to expectations, but the cojones he showed by doing this was enough for me.
That might be my favorite song ever. I got really happy when that came on. I'm still pissed they didn't show the Machida fight, I heard he looked better then ever physically, and that he dominated Hogar, which somehow is actually hard to do. Still he should've finished him.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I'm actually confused about the song. I read a review somewhere that claimed it meant that UFC is buying PRIDE. I think that was on Sherdog. Hopefully sherdog will ask about it in the post-fight interview. Could be a bit of a shot against UFC, or it could be the UFC putting Mirko up to it to communicate something to PRIDE. Who knows.

BTW, if you see Sanchez's post-fight interview on Sherdog, he seems pretty punch drunk. He wasn't the most articulate guy before, but in this he isn't even answering the questions, and he struggles with the simplest foundations of English grammar.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Ah who knows, but I though it was just Mirko's way of saying that Pride is in the house!

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Mr. Filipovic is such a terminator, coldly stalking his prey like a Tiger in the grass.

What's the deal with the UFC and his name? Are American fans so whatever that the name Mirko "CC" Filipovic, that's not so hard, is impossible to use with them?

Minor thing, I just think it's weird and reflects poorly on us.

I think if Couture beats Sylvia, then Mirko gets Sylvia next, otherwise it's Arlovski. Two losses by Sylvia, and maybe they'll send the unpopular Ogre the way of Paul Buenatello.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I really hope Couture can beat the unpopular Ogre, but If I had to bet I'd take Sylvia. Crocop against Arlovski or Ogre would suffice for different reasons. Either way someone needs to hurt the Ogre very soon.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I bet they'll save Arlovski for CC's first title defense.

PastorofMuppets

Awards
I bet they'll save Arlovski for CC's first title defense.
IMHO I think that Cro Cop should have to go THROUGH AA before getting a title shot.

If AA and CC go undefeated up to that fight, it should be the determining fight for a title shot.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
He's knocking everybody out anyways, does it really matter who he does it to first? I just hope he never fights a can again.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
Dana White says CC will be fighting at the April 21st show, he thinks one more fight before a title shot.

Video ufc67 post dana white - ufc, 67, post, dana, white - Dailymotion Share Your Videos

Who? He does'nt know or won't say. It could be Vera or Arlovski as other contenders or Gonzaga or Kongo as lesser ranked. That's assuming the UFC can do a deal with Vera, and I don't know if and how Monson figures into this.

Did I miss anyone? Probably.

I see that the UFC has gone the smart route in marketing the Cave Troll Timmy as an anti-hero.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
IMHO I think that Cro Cop should have to go THROUGH AA before getting a title shot.

If AA and CC go undefeated up to that fight, it should be the determining fight for a title shot.
Hypothetically if Arlovski wins, do you wanna see Tim-AA IV? I don't. They should make Vera fight CC and get destroyed. He hasn't proven himself yet thinks he deserves huge sums of cash (according to rumors). Something bugs me about this.:trout: No, but seriously CC - Kongo seems likely.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Someone posted this on Sherdog:

I was reading a article over at chron.com which is the Houston Newspaper Website and it appears Arlovski is confirmed for UFC 70:

Arlovski tabbed for UFC 70
While the timing seems ideal for UFC heavyweight Andrei Arlovski to step back in the cage at UFC 69 in Houston, he's being saved for the promotion's United Kingdom debut, set for April 21.

In discussing potential matchups for the Houston Shootout card with UFC boss Dana White, he said the "The Pitbull" is being lined up for UFC 70, which looks like it's going to be loaded with talent.

It's expected that Tito Ortiz-Forrest Griffin 2 will headline that show, with Arlovski being joined on the card by Cro Cop, native son Michael Bisping and Cheick Kongo.

After everything falls into place, it's likely that UFC 70 will pack more of a punch than the Houston show. But, with stars like GSP and Mike Swick on the 69 card, plus a key welterweight elimination with Diego Sanchez and Josh Koscheck, Shootout will still very much be a must-see show.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I have absolutely no interest in seeing Ortiz-Griffin 2.

Plus, that just seems like a strange match up right now. Shouldn't Jardine take a crack at Tito given that he just whooped Griffin's ass?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Griffin/Ortiz2 is pointless. How the hell that could headline a card is beyond me, especially when Crocop and Arlovski are on the card. Unless Crocop is fighting another can, he should be headlining. I'm with Jas on wanting to see Crocop/Vera. I also wouldn't mind seeing Sylvia/Couture, Crocop/Arlovski and then the winners collide. Although if Sylvia and Arlovski somehow won, then cancel that idea. With the addition of Crocop and Couture the HW division is looking pretty interesting. I hope Heath gets his **** together and adds to the depth. I don't really see that happening though. What's the latest on Vera' future?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
How big is Cage Rage in the UK? I see that the UFC scheduled their UK event on the same day as a Cage Rage. I guess that's business.

There does seem to be more of an argument for Jardine-Tito than Griffin-Tito II. But my guess is Jardine will be Chuck's next fight. They'll probably want to save Rashad until he's ready since he seems to have more potential. That sets Chuck up to fight Jardine, Rashad, and Rampage in 2007 (not sure about the order of the last two).

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Crocop/Vera seems ideal, b/c Vera still has a fight left on his contract. Then the UFC would really be getting their money's worth.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Crocop/Vera seems ideal, b/c Vera still has a fight left on his contract. Then the UFC would really be getting their money's worth.
I like vera, he's a good fighter with an entertaining style. It would make for a fun to watch fight, though he doesn't have what it takes to deal with mirko, and a loss would poison his salary negotiation position. From Dana's standpoint it's probably an excellent match up for him in all respects :)

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I like vera, he's a good fighter with an entertaining style. It would make for a fun to watch fight, though he doesn't have what it takes to deal with mirko, and a loss would poison his salary negotiation position. From Dana's standpoint it's probably an excellent match up for him in all respects :)
Ex, do you know anything about negotiating contracts? Could Dana basically make Vera fight Crocop? Does Vera have to agree?

Regardless, I could see Vera doing some damage at 205.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ex, do you know anything about negotiating contracts? Could Dana basically make Vera fight Crocop? Does Vera have to agree?

Rumor has it that Vera has been offered a 1.5M signing bonus by the EXC. I see Vera fighting someone that the UFC is trying to hype up within the next few months.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

Vera vs Liddell would be an AWESOME fight. Too bad given his contract status Dana would NEVER sign off on it.

Doggcrapp

Board Sponsor
Awards
Doug and I at trueprotein.com sponsor Eddie Sanchez and 11 other fighters (UFC/King of the Cage) down here in Jeff Clarkes camp. Things definitely didnt go well in there and Eddie seemed a little shellshocked by it all. But you have to give him some respect for taking a fight 2 other fighters said "Hell no" too.
He trained extensively with Dan Henderson but the gameplan went haywire in there and lets face it Crocop is Crocop and everyone else (except Fedor) are in awe. Eddie has only been fighting for 4 years, should be dead from a car accident 2 years ago where they almost amputated his foot. He has a stick of dynamite in his right hand though and if he can bring up his skill level consistently like he has over the short time he has been fighting (only 25)...he will only get better and better.

Doggcrapp

Board Sponsor
Awards
Rogue you got to understand thats there are alot of things 'told' to a fighter to be said to "sell a fight" and saying "I dont think I can beat him---he is probably going to knock me out with a kick to the head" isnt one of them.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Rogue you got to understand thats there are alot of things 'told' to a fighter to be said to "sell a fight" and saying "I dont think I can beat him---he is probably going to knock me out with a kick to the head" isnt one of them.
Honestly, I've seen a lot of fighters come into a fight saying "I respect him, I'm a good fighter, I'm going to let my skills do the talking for me in the ring" and I think that is 100% the right way to handle an interview.

Doggcrapp

Board Sponsor
Awards
Honestly, I've seen a lot of fighters come into a fight saying "I respect him, I'm a good fighter, I'm going to let my skills do the talking for me in the ring" and I think that is 100% the right way to handle an interview.
Guys Im not trying to be an ass here or an Eddie apologist. Eddie is a very softspoken individual, not a loudmouth at all. Ill just put it this way.....alot of his comments prefight were prodded and scripted and if you knew Eddie you would realize its a hard stretch for him to "be cocky".....its just not in his makeup or personality. I dropped off Eddies protein powder to his house right before he left for Vegas...and he said "Im going to try my best Dante, this is truly one of my idols (Crocop) and Im going to follow Dan's (Hendersons) gameplan and give my best in there".....His email following the fight to me was "Dante thanks to trueprotein for all your support from the bottom of my heart....Im really sorry if I dissapointed everyone"

Thats the true Eddie Sanchez

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Guys Im not trying to be an ass here or an Eddie apologist. Eddie is a very softspoken individual, not a loudmouth at all. Ill just put it this way.....alot of his comments prefight were prodded and scripted and if you knew Eddie you would realize its a hard stretch for him to "be cocky".....its just not in his makeup or personality. I dropped off Eddies protein powder to his house right before he left for Vegas...and he said "Im going to try my best Dante, this is truly one of my idols (Crocop) and Im going to follow Dan's (Hendersons) gameplan and give my best in there".....His email following the fight to me was "Dante thanks to trueprotein for all your support from the bottom of my heart....Im really sorry if I dissapointed everyone"

Thats the true Eddie Sanchez
I'm glad he has a better side. Hopefully next time we hear from him he won't be talked into hiding it.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
Touche. Well played, in showing me to be the clueless one here.

The reality is that I have a ton of experience in press talk. I was lucky and skillful enough to be able to go to the neutral response route of "training hard, do my best, god willing, etc." and avoid specifics that others would later use against me.
ill agree wit what you said although at times for the fighter i dont think its as much as "i think i can win" or someone persuading them in some shape or form to do a fight. Lol, i think its more about, your gonna fight so and so, or you dont get paid, do what you can and if you lose your next 3 fights in a row, nice knowing ya, and dont let the door hit you on the way out.

I will have to say CC didnt look as cut and in shape as in Pride. Maybe it was just me, but he looked as if he was holding back. LOL sanchez just ran around like a chicken wit his head cut off hoping to land a random punch, but ill still give him credit like any other fighter for gettin out there and trading witht the best.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You sponsor Hendo, Lambert, and all those guys?

I thought Hendo was with Team Quest?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You sponsor Hendo, Lambert, and all those guys?

I thought Hendo was with Team Quest?
Team Quest has kinda fallen apart lately since Randy is in Hollywood and Lindland trains in Oregon.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
To restart an old topic: I just watched Crocop/Fedor in its entirety. I had only seen highlights of the fight before. It is ironic that we (and Crocop) were giving Sanchez a hard time about backpedaling, when Crocop was definitely guilty of the same. Of course, it is different in a ring, and Crocop did engage frequently.

I was very impressed by Crocop's ability to retain and, when necessary, regain guard. On damage, Crocop definitely won, but Fedor took all other categories. Crocop seemed a bit overwhelmed. Can't wait to see the rematch.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
To restart an old topic: I just watched Crocop/Fedor in its entirety. I had only seen highlights of the fight before. It is ironic that we (and Crocop) were giving Sanchez a hard time about backpedaling, when Crocop was definitely guilty of the same. Of course, it is different in a ring, and Crocop did engage frequently.

I was very impressed by Crocop's ability to retain and, when necessary, regain guard. On damage, Crocop definitely won, but Fedor took all other categories. Crocop seemed a bit overwhelmed. Can't wait to see the rematch.
Oh no you di'int. How dare you compare Crocop trying to keep his distance with Sanchez's backwards marathon:twisted: I'm not so sure Crocop won on damage, and next time will be worse for him, I hope.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established

I hope there's a rematch. Mirko was intimidated by Fedor in their last fight, if he could pull himself together more he would have a good chance.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope there's a rematch. Mirko was intimidated by Fedor in their last fight, if he could pull himself together more he would have a good chance.
That was such an oddity to see Crocop being engaged and at times overtaken in decent exchanges. It was possible CC was overwhelmed by Fedor's gameplan which was opposite of what many anticipated it to be. Like Beo said, I was also impressed by CC's ability to maintain and regain a healthy guard, I had originally assumed Fedor would pass easily once it hit the ground.

I think Fedor would still win, but it would be a classic fight.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Next time it will definitely be better. If you think about it, CC fared much better on the ground with Fedor than Nog had. Of course, I think Nog opened himself up to the most vicious GNP in MMA history by constantly working for subs. Fedor's explosiveness is unreal when he's working down low.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Next time it will definitely be better. If you think about it, CC fared much better on the ground with Fedor than Nog had. Of course, I think Nog opened himself up to the most vicious GNP in MMA history by constantly working for subs. Fedor's explosiveness is unreal when he's working down low.

And let us not forget his gut fulcrum

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Hey now,that's a tradmarked expression, you owe me a nickle, Mullet.

I suspect that Fedor peaked a few fights ago, and CC's groundgame is continuing to improve. A little more time, and hopefully some decent skill enhancing competition for him in the UFC, and I think Cro Cop will give Fedor all he can handle, and possibly more.
Fedor just has no more motivation... He's beaten everyone. We may never see the old Fedor again unless someone really talented emerges to challenge him.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Sadly, though, I doubt we'll ever see Fedor-CroCop 2.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You're right, that's pretty much what he implies in his recent interviews, as they wrote about Alexander the Great - "He wept, for there were no more worlds to conquer".

Like Alexander, he 's cut the Gordian Knot of MMA's best, now he's thinking retirement with some money, I think, and he has some proteges under his tutelage, so they say.
I'm banking on a Jordan like career. He dominates for years, kinda becomes disinterested for a year or 2, and then comes back to dominate and look better than ever for another couple of years. You guys may be right, and it does look that way, but I hope not. I'm still heartbroken over Barry Sanders retiring early when he could've dominated for another 5 years. I don't know who is/was more fun to watch Barry, Michael, or Fedor, toss up.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, basically the only challenge for him now is Sherk.

;)

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
The One Man Ass would just get in the way and screw up Sherky's flow.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
"im going to get knocked out with a kick to the head" LMAO.

Why was Quinton kacksons name "rampage jackson" when they announced and showed his name on screen?

Sanchez does have testicular fortitude!

They say the camera adds ten pounds but cro crop looked huge, maybe not as agile but he never really needed to be.

Titty ortiz is,was and will always be a cocky SOB IMO>.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm banking on a Jordan like career.
I'm banking on a Frank Shamrock like career. He retires young, a few years later Youtube videos of him talking **** show up, he gets DQed against a so-so fighter. Ok, probably not.

I don't think CC was scared in their first fight just caught off guard by the gameplan. Fedor's pressure really gassed out CC by the last two rounds. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened in the fight if CC didn't have stamina issues at the end, but I think Fedor would have won. There was a moment in the first round where Fedor seemed dazed by a punch and CC went for a high kick when punches would have been better. Anyway, Fedor won but I'd take CC in a rematch.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
TheNinja MMA 53
jas123 MMA 17
Beowulf MMA 2
MMA 4
firefighter2032 MMA 21