First WEC, then WFA, now PRIDE

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There have been a lot of rumors the past couple of days that Zuffa is close to reaching a buyout of PRIDE. I have issues with this for several reasons. First, they would not merge and, therefore, we still will not get the crossover matches we have wanted for years. Two, the most dangerous part is the MMA monopoly that Zuffa will have in NA and Japan. I know that K-1 and other orgs are in Japan, but their MMA branch is not their main focus. The biggest x-factor is whether or not Zuffa will continue the trend of boosting salaries. Only recently has Dana stop being such a cheap bastard and I don't want to see MMA regress after so much growth and prosperity in the past 5-7 years.

size

Awards
  • Established
They will not continue to boost salaries(prices will move to a point and lock) if such a purchase is made being that Zuffa would control the majority of MMA. Consequently, fighters would have fewer options as negotiating leverage.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
They will not continue to boost salaries(prices will move to a point and lock) if such a purchase is made being that Zuffa would control the majority of MMA. Consequently, fighters would have fewer options as negotiating leverage.

Why would think that would happen?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
One of the main reasons the UFC was forced to increase purses was because of how much PRIDE was paying their fighters. Without any major competition, there will not be any reason for them to increase purses for the fighters.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'll believe it when I see it. I have a hard time believing the Japanese ownership would sell out.

But if it did happen, why wouldn't crossover matches happen?

size

Awards
  • Established
Zuffa would have an unofficial unregulated monopoly. They could set the salaries as they see fit. In short, monopolies signal a lack of economic competition for the good/service and the therefore the monopoly will set a limit as to the the amount of goods provided at a certain price that would not normally exist in a competitive market. So in the fight sense, why would Zuffa pay a fighter 30k for a fight when he has no where else to fight? Zuffa will only pay X amount so if fighter A does not want to fight for $X then fighter B will or some other fighter.

Another potential danger of this, is that Zuffa will become complacent as this is often a trait found in a monopolies. However, in sports this effect probably would not be as prevalent.

Monopolies exist in sports. Look at hockey, baseball, and football.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Zuffa would have an unofficial unregulated monopoly. They could set the salaries as they see fit. In short, monopolies signal a lack of economic competition for the good/service and the therefore the monopoly will set a limit as to the the amount of goods provided at a certain price that would not normally exist in a competitive market. So in the fight sense, why would Zuffa pay a fighter 30k for a fight when he has no where else to fight? Zuffa will only pay X amount so if fighter A does not want to fight for $X then fighter B will or some other fighter.

Another potential danger of this, is that Zuffa will become complacent as this is often a trait found in a monopolies. However, in sports this effect probably would not be as prevalent.

Monopolies exist in sports. Look at hockey, baseball, and football.

Baseball may not be the best example; baseball players are payed absolutely ridiculous amounts of money, comparatively, and own 5 of the top 10 largest contracts in major sports. Besides that, I agree with what you are saying 100%

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Baseball may not be the best example; baseball players are payed absolutely ridiculous amounts of money, comparatively, and own 5 of the top 10 largest contracts in major sports. Besides that, I agree with what you are saying 100%
There's competition between the teams that pay the players in most sports so the salaries rise to get the best players.

Sakikabara said they're not selling Pride now in his interview on Sherdog, but he did seem to admit that he couldn't compete with the UFC's salaries. Hmm, I don't like where this is going....

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'll believe it when I see it. I have a hard time believing the Japanese ownership would sell out.

But if it did happen, why wouldn't crossover matches happen?
Zuffa has said that they will keep them as separate entities. Sakikabara would still be the head, but Zuffa would be the one behind the scenes.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I can see a short top off of salaries , but if this is a legitamite sport and gets more popular, salaries will increase with more fans and popularity. Most sports evolve this way. I realize zuffa will have sometype of monopoly, but if the certain athletes will eventually just ask for more.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
There's competition between the teams that pay the players in most sports so the salaries rise to get the best players.

Sakikabara said they're not selling Pride now in his interview on Sherdog, but he did seem to admit that he couldn't compete with the UFC's salaries. Hmm, I don't like where this is going....
I agree somewhat, but is not completely true. players who feel their worth a certain amount will be competeing with other players salaries. For example Barry Zito is on the market and he feels he is a better player than lets say roger clemens hes gonna want more than clemens. I will happen with the UFC, Iceman thinks he deserves more money, doesnt get as much as he thinks he deserves but he still eventually gerts an increase dont you think eventually someone will come along who is bigger and better who will eventually command more money.

brass monkey

brass monkey

Awards
  • Established
Zuffa has brought mma in the usa back from the dead. I know they would do a gould job with pride but a monopoly isnt good for the fighters or the fans.

drunk

Awards
I've heard that Pride and the WWE were in talks. I don't want the UFC to have a monoploy, but WWE?

Minus83

Minus83

Awards
Bas Rutten got something like $250,000 for a 3 fight contract when he came out of retirement.

and yeah, if the UFC wasnt already paying their fighters ****ty, this would definently give them a reason, competition benefits everyone except the owners of a company.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
VolcomX311 MMA 8
VolcomX311 MMA 46
Jessep76 MMA 50
MMA 1
MMA 8