It appears Randy is back...sigh

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Report: Couture to Come Out of Retirement

I love Randy, but I just can't stomach watching Sylvia beat him if that is indeed the fight he's taking. He has a chance but not a great one IMO. If he's fighting another older fighter like Shammy or Bas, though, that would be pretty interesting.

Quil

Quil

Awards
  • Established
I'm with you on that...I'd love to see him fight some sort of "Legends" exhibition against Bas, Shamrock, etc but I just hate to see him come out to fight Sylvia. Even if he does win, he's got CC, Arlovski, and Herring to look forward to.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unfortunately, this is just business. UFC 68 looks like a very weak card and there is not a true main event fight. This gives a marquee name for Sylvia to fight because Gonzaga is nowhere near ready or known enough for a main event fight. There is going to be a huge payday for Randy and he might, and I mean hopefully, be able to get Sylvia to the mat. He is arguably the best wrestler in UFC history and, as good as Sylvia did against Monson, Randy's takedown are miles ahead of any other opponent sylvia has faced.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think this is a very bad idea for Randy. He had trouble at heavyweight when he was at his prime. Going back into that weight class, which is higher than his natural weight, now that he's even older, against the champion no less, just doesn't seem like a good move.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I don't look forward to this fight. I like Randy, and think he helped bring legitimacy through the sport by not being a hothead azzhole, but I don't really like his style. I predict one of two scenarios:
1.) Yawn-fest--BOOOOO!
2.) Randy gets KTFO--BOOOOO!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Unfortunately, this is just business. UFC 68 looks like a very weak card and there is not a true main event fight.
Hit the nail right on the head. Dunno why the UFC has rushed out another event if they don't even have a decent card set up. At this rate I'll be doing laundry on March 3 '07.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty excited for Couture/Sylvia. Couture has a really good chance to beat Sylvia. I hope he never fights Crocop.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Hit the nail right on the head. Dunno why the UFC has rushed out another event if they don't even have a decent card set up. At this rate I'll be doing laundry on March 3 '07.
Yeah, the UFC seems to really be expanding their talent pool, but I have a feeling it will mean more frequent mediocre cards instead of the same amount of better cards.

I can't believe he signed for 4 fights. I think he'd get a beating against Herring and Arlovski and the thought of CC makes me wanna cry. He seemed like he had some ideas on how to beat Sylvia so who knows what'll happen, but I still say Sylvia has a 75% chance of winning. That was a good inside the UFC. Now back to Afro Samurai...jk.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
MMA WEEKLY - Your #1 Source for Daily MMA News, Interviews, Multimedia, and More
Sylvia Responds...
Randy “The Natural” Couture officially renounced his retirement last night on “Inside the UFC” on Spike TV, “I've just signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC.” Not only that, but the 43-year old former UFC heavyweight and light heavyweight champion verified the news which broke on MMAWeekly Radio on Tuesday evening, “My first fight will be on March 3rd against the big man, Tim Sylvia. I'm going back after the heavyweight title.”

Today, the “big man” and current UFC heavyweight titleholder Tim Sylvia commented on the news that Couture has decided to return and challenge for his belt, “Am I surprised? Absolutely, fully surprised.” But along with that surprise came a lot of respect. Sylvia isn’t one of the many questioning the UFC Hall of Famer’s abilities as he steps back into the Octagon, “He’s Randy. He can do anything he wants. When everybody counts him out, that’s when he’s at his best.”

Sylvia did, however, disagree with Couture’s recent assessment of him. Speaking with host Joe Rogan on “Inside the UFC,” Couture exclaimed that, “I think in the Monson fight, [Sylvia] showed a conservative attitude that's not going to get him where he wants to be ultimately. He fought not to lose instead of going out and fighting to win. He could have finished that fight.”

“I don’t agree with that,” said Sylvia. “I go out there to win. I wanted to knock [Monson] out, but he wouldn’t stand and trade with me. He was trying to go to the ground all five rounds.” The champ continued, “I defended his takedowns. I tried to finish the fight several times on the ground and the triangle was tight, I really thought I had him there. I always go out there trying to finish the fight.”

But that is really neither here nor there come March 3rd in Ohio when the two step into the Octagon together and the cage door slams shut. The bigger question now is what Sylvia brings to this fight when the two collide. “My size, my reach, my striking ability… he’s been knocked out twice by Liddell. Chuck and I are a lot alike. I believe I’ll knock him out,” responded Sylvia.

Obviously, both men see something that leads them to believe they will walk out of the Octagon the champion on March 3rd, but there is still a lot of respect between these two world-class athletes. “I consider [Tim] a friend, but that won’t preclude me from going out and getting after him,” Couture stated last night.

Just as respectful, Sylvia was also just as confident. “Randy is a great fighter. I even called him and wished him the best of luck. And he’s still going to be a great fighter after the fight,” said Sylvia before adding, “But he wants to take my belt from me and that is something that I will not allow.”

Rodthrower18

Awards
I dunno whether to be excited or disappointed in this announcement. Looking back at things it makes a lot more sense now why Randy was looking so damned big in all of those post fight commentaries...bulking ftw! I agree with Nitrox that this was a rushed event. What is with this trend that seemingly started in 05 that UFC just arbitrarily holds major pay per views every 6-8 weeks it seems honestly im getting a little sick of it, I love the sport as much as anyone else but id rather get 4 GOOD events a yr rather that 4 ****e events and 2 or 3 decent ones. This Randy coming out of retirement thing is mainly to bring some excitement back to the HW division bc honestly i havent seen a single fight in the last 6 or so months with the heavies that got me excited. Otherwise if they dont get somethin exciting happenin in that division it'll just die out. They brought back a division and surely they can get rid of one, but they'd rather not so they have to do things like this. Albeit this will be a one or two shot deal with randy if he doesnt win the belt in which case the condition of things will worsen and if you look at it from the flip side they may be hoping that a win from Randy will force alot of the heavies to step up their games which would def add some excitement. Much as ppl will lie about it noone wants to see two SLOW albeit powerful lardasses square off, they'd much rather see a couple of semi lean conditioned guys with SPEED and intensity not just a lot of slow power. That's my .02 tho and i'll probably think of more stuff to edit in lol

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Couture and Monson are 2 different fighters. I think The Natural has a better-than-good chance of taking the belt. Randy has striking ability and power and will not just shoot in ala Monson. The shoot will come from behind a strike and he WILL take Silvia down. I don't think Silivia is that great of a fighter. I think he's just way bigger than everyone else and uses that to his advantage. Plus, his conditioning is, shall we say...suspect. That being said, Randy is gonna be forced back into retirement once Filipovic gets done with him.

ugab37

ugab37

Applied Nutriceuticals Rep.
Awards
  • Established
I honestly think that Randy WILL beat Tim. As far as CC, I hope to God he Randy never steps in with him. If he thinks Chucks striking is bad, wait til he feels a good headkick. Hopefully, he'll beat Tim and maybe a few other heavyweights and then hang it up for good.