UFC on HBO

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Just read this over at sherdog...

HBO will televise three Ultimate Fighting Championship cards in 2007 and holds an option for three more broadcasts, respected boxing scribe Thomas Hauser reported Monday. According to the report on SecondsOut.com, HBO's UFC cards will air at midnight on to-be-determined dates.

Hauser's report confirms the long-rumored deal between HBO and UFC, though the agreement did not come without objections from HBO Sports President Ross Greenberg. "He did everything in his power not to televise mixed martial arts," Hauser wrote of Greenberg. "But in the end, he had no choice."

Speaking last week with Hauser, Greenberg said he's not a "big" fan of the UFC — and one would presume MMA — but also conceded he wasn't much of a boxing fan when he joined HBO. "I recognize the fact that UFC appeals to a fan base and demographic that boxing doesn't have right now," Greenberg told Hauser.

Greenberg's predecessor, Seth Abraham, voiced his displeasure to Hauser over UFC's association with HBO.

"I think it's ridiculous for HBO to televise UFC," Abraham said. "When I was at HBO, we had discussions once or twice a year about professional wrestling. We all agreed that it would get good ratings and we also agreed that it would tarnish our boxing franchise. I feel the same way about UFC. Boxing has a storied history. When HBO attaches itself to boxing, it attaches itself to Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, and Muhammad Ali. It attaches itself to history, achievement, and glory. UFC has none of those things, and it will tarnish HBO's boxing franchise. Will UFC get good ratings? Probably. But so would naked boxing."

Despite the wishes of HBO's current and former sports chiefs, HBO chairman Chris Albrecht, hoping to court younger viewers to the premium cable network, "insisted on the telecasts," Hauser reported, after being pitched by UFC-hired Hollywood agent Ari Emanuel.

Advertising at Sherdog.com

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I saw this the other day and after i read the response from the execs at HBO, I was really pissed off at the lack of respect that MMA still gets. Most have very little recollection of the legendary boxers and boxing popularity has waned in the past decade because there are not any captivating personalities.

If those execs really doesn't want their names attached to the UFC, then quit or retire early. All they have to do is look at the PPV and ticket numbers to see what is more popular right now.

size

Awards
  • Established
I saw this the other day and after i read the response from the execs at HBO, I was really pissed off at the lack of respect that MMA still gets. Most have very little recollection of the legendary boxers and boxing popularity has waned in the past decade because there are not any captivating personalities.
I can completely understand why you would feel such animosity. Boxing is no where near where it was in the past. Heavyweight division is in complete disarray. There are numerous belts for the same weight class with the belts being interchangable. Biggest story in boxing is still Mike Tyson who has really never even beat anyone significant. Still die hard boxing fans want to relive the golden ages of boxing when they are in the past and not soon to return.

Only downside I see about MMA is the lack of knowledge by fans and even more lack of knowledge by individuals who may be introduced to it. Too many fail to see the technique and skills involved with all of the disciplines that compose MMA. Consequently, the audience seems to simply want to see someone get hurt and nothing more.

MadJimF

MadJimF

Awards
  • Established
I don't think UFC on hbo will hurt their boxing, their boxing hurts itself...
After Pride/UFC I can't even watch heavyweight boxing anymore, use to love the sport, but current boxers are so boring....

Boxing needs a new Mike Tyson (in his prime mac, in his prime)

I still want to see the chuck lidell, wanderlei silva fight that dana talked about...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
WesleyInman IronMag Labs 0
Blazin604 MMA 7
Apsmith4992 General Chat 19
Aleksandar37 MMA 8
bighulksmash MMA 7