Silva vs. Hendo at Pride 33? - AnabolicMinds.com

Silva vs. Hendo at Pride 33?

1. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Silva vs. Hendo at Pride 33?

MMA Weekly is reporting this fight as the main event for Pride 33. I'm not really too excited about it in that both have legit contenders in each of their respective divisions. It should be entertaining, though, and Pride seems to want to build up Wandy by putting him against an American as they did in the last show with others.

2. Professional Member

In their first fight, Silva controlled Henderson for most of the fight. Henderson did rattle Silva with a few big shots at one point and put a large hematoma above Silva's eye. But for the majority of it, Silva attakced and controlled.

I certainly look forward to watching them fight again as I enjoy both of them, but I agree that fights for each fighter against an opponent in the same weight class would be nice.
  3. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

That was the first time I had watched Henderson fight and the main thing that I remember is that he is a tough SOB. Silva stomped him, but he remained so composed and Silva could not finish him.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor

What is the weight difference here and how can they get away with that in Vegas?

Or is Hendo going to bulk up?
  5. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I would imagine Hendo will bulk up as you said, as opposed to Wandy cutting weight. I think Hendo has fought in Wandy's class before though, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem for him.
  6. Elite Member

They are definitely fighting at 205. Hendo may come in a little heavier, probably 195 or so. I believe as long as he is over 186 he is good to go in the 205 division. I think the heaviest Hendo has fought at is 195. I really wanted to see Lil Nog get a shot, but who doesn't. It should be a great fight, Hendo always fights up to the level of competition.
  7. Professional Member
    Stats
    6'0"  225 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Savage
    What is the weight difference here and how can they get away with that in Vegas?

Or is Hendo going to bulk up?
    Hendo's fought at MW for most his Pride career since the WW division is fairly new. He's weighed in at 199 before and I think he was 194 against Vitor. He said in his post-fight interview after Vitor that he usually cuts down from about 194 for WW. I think he'll come in around 200 assuming MMAWeekly is right about this fight (which is why I put the question mark).

The rules in the US (and probably testing) hurt Wandy's game a lot so maybe I am somewhat glad that he will fight Rogerio or Arona later hopefully in Japan.
  8. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jas123
    Hendo's fought at MW for most his Pride career since the WW division is fairly new. He's weighed in at 199 before and I think he was 194 against Vitor. He said in his post-fight interview after Vitor that he usually cuts down from about 194 for WW. I think he'll come in around 200 assuming MMAWeekly is right about this fight (which is why I put the question mark).

The rules in the US (and probably testing) hurt Wandy's game a lot so maybe I am somewhat glad that he will fight Rogerio or Arona later hopefully in Japan.
    Yeah, 199lbs was what I was thinking for Hendo. I think, as you said, that US's rules will favor Hendo over Wandy. Though, despite what alot of people say, one needs to take into account how Wandy gets people to the ground for those head kicks, as opposed to just the fact he throws them when they are down there.
  9. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by jas123

Yeah, I didn't really think about that. Rogerio and Arona would most likely beat Wandy under US rules, but in Japan I see it going differently. US rules blow IMO.
  10. Board Sponsor

Oh yeah, forgot Hendo fought at 205 for a long time. He's a very small 205er, though.

Hell, he looks like a small 183er.
  11. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Arona would most likely beat Wandy under US rules, but in Japan I see it going differently. US rules blow IMO.
    Arona has already fought Silva twice. He one once via unanimous decision and lost the second to a split decision.
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by size
    Arona has already fought Silva twice. He one once via unanimous decision and lost the second to a split decision.
    rona seemed like he fought scared in both of the Wandy fights and just tried to neutralize Wandy. Definitely not a fun fight to watch; in most of his other fights, Arona is at least attempting something, but he just played for position.
  13. Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by size
    Of course I've seen those fights. What did I say to imply that I hadn't? I said IMO Wandy would have a better chance of beating Arona or Rogerio under Pride rules, or Hendo for that matter, but I don't see Hendo beating Wandy regardless.
  14. Registered User

I'm sure this will be a good fight. They are both warriors. But it really is ridiculous the way PRIDE allows so many non-title fights. I really don't get it. The last time Wandy defended his belt was NYE--over a year ago!
    I think Hendo's last defense was on the same night (other fights were Bushido vs. Misaki, and vs. Belfort).
  15. Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
    Stats
    5'10"  215 lbs.

I agree, I feel that it will be an awesome fight, but having a title on the line just adds such a greater degree of drama.
  16. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander
    Of course I've seen those fights. What did I say to imply that I hadn't? I said IMO Wandy would have a better chance of beating Arona or Rogerio under Pride rules, or Hendo for that matter, but I don't see Hendo beating Wandy regardless.
    I misinterpretted your post, my apologies.
  17. Elite Member

Thanks Rogue, I missed that interview. Wanderlei is hilarious, they ask him how it feels to knock someone out and he responds with "very happy". "What's your best weapon" Wandy responds with "knee.......punch.....kick to the face". You think Wandy will finish(ko/tko) Hendo this time? I do.
  18. Board Sponsor

A few times during that fight I thought Dan was done for sure. Very surprised he wasn't KOed.
  19. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Drone
    I do too. I think that the usual 183 pound fighting weight Henderson, who's been gassing lately, will fade even more so when he fights at ~200 and that the extra mass will screw up his timing.

I see Hendo being competitive for the first few minutes, than the better natural LH skills of Wandy taking him out.

Wandy had this issue when he outweighted Mirko at the OWGP, too heavy to fight at his best. He apparently gained mass to emphasizes his groundgame,to no avail, and it threw his striking way off, I think.
    Wandy is very aggressive fighter by nature, and he really went for it with crocop. I don't really feel his change in weight had anything to do with his loss... He just tried to chase around a counterpuncher, which is exactly what you don't want to do.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Silva vs Hendo
    By Dancebot 2000 in forum MMA
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-30-2007, 08:47 PM
  2. Kharitonov vs Yvel.........Pride 33
    By Alexander in forum MMA
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-21-2007, 10:02 AM
  3. Pride 33 Card
    By Alexander in forum MMA