supplementing for grappling

choke5050

Awards
being that most grapplers dont train like bodybuilders what supplements have any of you bjj/judo guys take? the only thing i;ve tried is jungle warfare and got no results

size

Awards
  • Established
Well, it is going to depend on your goals. Supplements for goals such as nutrition/health are often different from those for strength/size.

papa G

Awards
Myself, if I take a small dose of ephedrine (12.5mgs or so) along with a small dose of caffeine my endurance increases VERY much when I roll. As for PH's they seem to KILL endurance! (except 4ad or something test related) Remember, ephedrine is a bronchodilater and it opens up your lungs so this makes sense! Other supps like ALCAR and NO can also help. IMPO nothing has ever worked for me as good as low dose ephedrine for grappling stamina!

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established
I would think C+E would cause you to gas quicker.

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
I would think C+E would cause you to gas quicker.
Nope, it helps. You might want to look into some powerfull as well, that really helps me with my mind-muscle connection, especially when used with caffeine. Taurine/CEE stack well with any of the aforementioned. NO might work, but i've heard that if you get cut it'll be really hard to get it to stop bleeding. Citrulline malate might be a viable option.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ALCAR/Xtend about 30 minutes before and Supercarb/Xtend during/after. If you want something more powerful, then use X-Force instead of ALCAR. Also, taking methyl-B12 everday, preferably IM or SubQ, helps with endurance and as a antihistamine.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Chocolate milk boys. According to the newest research it's just as good as any sports drink.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Chocolate milk boys. According to the newest research it's just as good as any sports drink.
Have you done any serious grappling? Any milk would make most people vomit within the few first few minutes.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
To each his own I guess. I always down a skim milk protein shake fortified with some nesquick after workouts. It's not that thick.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
I also like a good tablespoon of creatine with my shake.

I'm currently using some ephedrine now, but I try not to take it any sooner than 3 hours before any serious training. I don't want to give myself a heartattack.

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
Lactic acid buffer, creatine, endurance promoter, creatine, energy, c2. Id go with horsepower by ultimate nutrition, makes you pumped but my muscles dont fatigue on that stuff.
hyperdrol for leaning down and maintaining mass whist getting stronger and harder. Hyperdrol is cheap and side effect free much like jungle warfare, except im using hyperdrol and i know it works.

concretetofists

Awards
i dont like any stims before i train. it gets my heart going too fast too fast, and i gas really quick.

whey in water, creatine, and no are all take before i go. grappling is so fun i dont need much in the way of assistance to keep going hard.

SSFgear

SSFgear

Awards
SSF/Avant Pro fighter Johnathan Ivey has been taking a ton of Avant's products over the last few months and loves it. Ivey teaches at our Academy and we put him in touch with Sir Savage a few months back and Avant was nice enough to sponsor Johnathan and now he's hooked on their stuff. I'm not sure what all he takes but I'm sure Savage can clue you in. Ivey says he's dropping weight and feeling much stronger.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I think generally speaking, a good carb source, creatine, and something like creatinine phosphate and/or citrulline malate would be ideal.

SuperCarb is basically the perfect carb for something like this because it takes so long to break down. You just get a nice, steady stream of glucose for fuel over a period of several hours.

And of course, now there's SyntheSIZE for creatine.

Big Jon takes both of those.

I probably shouldn't say this, but we're working on an endurance formula that will kick much ass. It can be used alone or for bodybuilders, stacked with Dominate.

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
SSF/Avant Pro fighter Johnathan Ivey has been taking a ton of Avant's products over the last few months and loves it. Ivey teaches at our Academy and we put him in touch with Sir Savage a few months back and Avant was nice enough to sponsor Johnathan and now he's hooked on their stuff. I'm not sure what all he takes but I'm sure Savage can clue you in. Ivey says he's dropping weight and feeling much stronger.
Yeah, we know about Ivey.

You too can look this

and achieve like this.
Fight Finder - Johnathan Ivey's Mixed Martial Arts Statistics

Ever beaten anyone with a winning record?

8 + years in , a "White Sakuraba" :box: :toofunny:

Harsh? yes. And being diplomatic in how much Truthful? Make counterpoints to convince us that this fighter is anywhere close to being worthy of a UFC fight and/ or someone who's endorsement of a supplement line is a positive.

Avant good, Ivey not.

SSFgear

SSFgear

Awards
RD thanks for your kind words and well wishes.

He has closer to 100 fights, they aren't all listed.

karategirl

karategirl

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I make sure I stay hydrated - its easy to go to BJJ class for an hour then roll for 2 hours without realising the time on the mat.
If I am not cutting to make weight for a tournament, then I take creatine to try and keep my muscle hydration and my endurance up.
Some form of complex carb before I roll and I PWO shake straight afterwards.
Its a different game for grapplers, who are trying to stay small and strong rather than bulking up.
Just keep a good diet and you should be fine.