UFC 65, post fight discussion

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. UFC 65, post fight discussion


    Okay, that has to be one of the better UFC events I've seen in a while.

    On the undercard, a lot of quick beatdowns which kept the action flowing fairly smoothly. Frank Trigg got beat down more quickly than I expected, but otherwise everything went as expected.

    Sylvia vs Monson, I have to say timmy has been working really hard on his ground defense, his triangle and kimura attempts were sloppy as hell but I'll give him credit for trying. Monson just didn't have any way to properly set up the takedown, so this fight was pretty slow and dissapointing.

    GSP vs Hughes, all I can say is wow. GSP looked incredible out there... He totally outclassed someone who everyone thought was unbeatable for a long time. His stand up was excellent, and that kick that he caught Hughes with should go in the hall of fame Too bad about those low kicks ending up in the groin, but I don't think they changed anything.


  2. It was Mir not Trigg, but I agree that was quick. I think Mir is finished and just drawing a check. He shouldn't have won his last fight they gave him the decision. GSP looked amazing. Sylvia is a goofy looking guy but Monson had nothing for him and looked like hell at the end of the fight. The crowd didn't like the fight but the matchup made for the boring exhibition. I think GSP will be on top for awhile now, I like him and he seems like a genuine good guy. Hughes is still a force against most fighters but good strikers who can defend his takedown can beat him. All for now..

  3. Trigg fought on this card??

    Monson didn't look prepared at all. I don't think he brought in any really tall guys to practice setting up takedowns. He did pretty well, but he could have done a lot better with preparation.

    GSP. Wow. What an unbelievable talent. Made Hughes look like an amateur. I thought GSP would win, but I didn't think it would be in such a thoroughly impressive fashion. He is going to hold that belt for a long, long time. Incredible.
    •   
       


  4. I thought that Monson would have done a little better. I guess this shows that Sylvia is a better fighter then I had thought. Monson is a world class grappler. I think he won Abu Dhabi once. I figured that if he got Sylvia on the ground it would be over. Sylvia held his own on the ground and beat him while standing. As far as it being boring. Itís the challengers responsibility to bring the fight on. Sylvia was smart to hold back and take shots.

    On the GSP VS Hughes fight. I was hoping it would go longer. For some reason I was a little saddened for Hughes. Like him or not heís one tuff guy who never backs down. GSP is a nice guy and had no problem with him winning but did hope it would go longer.

  5. I am PISSED that I forgot all about this fight tonight. We had some friends over tonight and I forgot all about the fight! I would have loved to have seen GSP kick Hughes' ass! I've been anticipating this fight for a while now. I guess I'll have to pick it up on the internet. Oh well.....

  6. I think Mir is done. He hasnt brought anything back since his injury.

    GSP delivered once again. What else is there to say.

    As for Sylvia and Monson, that was the snooze-fest of the night. I find Sylvia to be one of the less entertaining fighters in the UFC. I thought he sandbagged that last round rather blatantly and the judges still gave him the 10pts. Brandon Vera should bring a lot more challenge to Sylvia, that is one I wouldnt mind watching.

  7. Sylvia and Vera will be a good one. Vera will make Sylvia work and that should be fun to watch.

  8. I agree Ex, that was money well spent for pay per view... Just to see GSP handle Hughes like that. I was ecstatic.

  9. That one dude from holland that made his debut looked pretty good. That was one nice Thai kick. He would be a good match for Sylvia. I think Vera would be better as a light heavy.

  10. GSP! GSP! GSP! GSP!

    That was a well-deserved win. I wonder if Hughes still thinks Canadians are a non-violent breed I look forward to some outstanding title defenses...at 170 and 185. I hope this marks the death of the one-dimensional L'n'P wrestler.

    I guess Sylvia has had a tough life, and I feel bad for him, but damn is he a boring fighter. He is effective, but damn he is one ugly mofo.

  11. Sylvia/Monson was pathetic.
    **** 3 month Transformation contest:

    http://anabolicminds.com/forum/needtobuildmuscle-mrsupps/167999-moklepauls-needtobuildmuscle-contest.html

  12. I didnt see the fights because we order the Morales vs. Paquio fight. Which was a great showing for IMO the most exciting boxer to watch. Pac-man is the Man! Im half filipino as well so im biased lol. There is no doubt he has explosive quick and powerful hands.

  13. When GSP won, everyone at the bar I was at just exploded. It was awesome. I really like GSP a lot and matt hughes just seems like kind of a jerk, so I'm pretty happy with the outcome there.

  14. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    When GSP won, everyone at the bar I was at just exploded. It was awesome. I really like GSP a lot and matt hughes just seems like kind of a jerk, so I'm pretty happy with the outcome there.
    Yeah i never liked matt hughes. Guess im a Hughes hater so this is good news i like to see his unbeatable ego get crushed.

  15. Only saw the GSP/Hughes fight. GSP looked much better than Hughes.

  16. Quote Originally Posted by size
    GSP looked much better than Hughes.
    Without a doubt

  17. Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    I didnt see the fights because we order the Morales vs. Paquio fight. Which was a great showing for IMO the most exciting boxer to watch. Pac-man is the Man! Im half filipino as well so im biased lol. There is no doubt he has explosive quick and powerful hands.
    I ordered the ufc and had this fight recorded by my buddy. I expected Pacquiao to stop him but this time he really did it quick. It will be interesting to see who he fights next. He's going to be an all time great super featherweight.

  18. Glad to see a new champ, matt needed to lose again, had that I can't be beat about him.
    I wish tim would have got chopped down...but he was ready for the take down...

  19. Vera looked good. I don't know if I'm really sold on him being that good, but I'd like to more of him. It's questionable how good Mir ever was and he doesn't seem to bring anything after the accident.

    I was disappointed in Hughes for not trying harder to take it to the ground where I think he possibly could have ended it. I'm not saying GSP wouldn't have stuffed him, but I think we all knew on the feet GSP would KO/TKO him. Anyway, GSP looked good and should make a good champ. I'm looking forward to Diego/GSP eventually.

    Monson's just to short for Tim. His ground and pound was worthless in Tim's closed guard. I thought the 3rd round was exciting and the bar I was at exploded when Tim was on the ground. Tim held his own on the ground and proved that like it or not, he's the champ.

  20. Quote Originally Posted by fbxdan
    I ordered the ufc and had this fight recorded by my buddy. I expected Pacquiao to stop him but this time he really did it quick. It will be interesting to see who he fights next. He's going to be an all time great super featherweight.
    he fights with so much aggression and he has to be up there in the pound for pound ranks. Def. an all time great. Id like to see hime destroy the other two mexican fighters, barrera and marquez. Barrera is ducking him cuz he got dropped 3 times in the first round agains paquiao.

    Yeah off topic but it was a fight the same night as the UFC so i guess its somewhat on topic lol

  21. Quote Originally Posted by jas123

    Monson's just to short for Tim. His ground and pound was worthless in Tim's closed guard. I thought the 3rd round was exciting and the bar I was at exploded when Tim was on the ground. Tim held his own on the ground and proved that like it or not, he's the champ.
    See I disagree here.

    Monson should have mixed it up more while on top of Sylvia. If you can't reach his head, for frick's sake, throw body shots like there's no tomorrow. Then, rear back and throw some head shots when his head comes up. Repeat.

    It boggled my mind that he didn't throw any body shots. I just don't think he adequately prepared for this fight.

  22. Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    he fights with so much aggression and he has to be up there in the pound for pound ranks. Def. an all time great. Id like to see hime destroy the other two mexican fighters, barrera and marquez. Barrera is ducking him cuz he got dropped 3 times in the first round agains paquiao.

    Yeah off topic but it was a fight the same night as the UFC so i guess its somewhat on topic lol
    I also watched this. The undercards were very boring. But the main even was awesome.

    I did download the hughes gsp fight. It was baller assed when gsp kept throwing the leg kicks and hughes checked a couple. Then GSP kicked all the way through on the next one.

  23. Quote Originally Posted by jas123
    I'm looking forward to Diego/GSP eventually.
    That potential fight has well, potential, lol. It will be interesting to see who they throw at St.Pierre. I think someone else said it in this thread, or maybe another, that BJ Penn is still the top 170lber in the world, it is just a shame about his conditioning. He dominated the first round against George and a rematch would make for a good fight.

  24. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    That potential fight has well, potential, lol. It will be interesting to see who they throw at St.Pierre. I think someone else said it in this thread, or maybe another, that BJ Penn is still the top 170lber in the world, it is just a shame about his conditioning. He dominated the first round against George and a rematch would make for a good fight.
    I agree, Penn GSP would be better to watch than diego GSP. Penn needs to lay off the plate lunches down here and the frick white rice lol.

  25. Quote Originally Posted by Mulletsoldier
    That potential fight has well, potential, lol. It will be interesting to see who they throw at St.Pierre. I think someone else said it in this thread, or maybe another, that BJ Penn is still the top 170lber in the world, it is just a shame about his conditioning. He dominated the first round against George and a rematch would make for a good fight.
    That was me. I want to see what will happen in a rematch between GSP and Penn. The first round of Penn/GSP looked like the first round of Hughes/GSP II excpet Penn was the one doing all of the damage. His conditioning was lackluster for their first fight, but he looked very good against Hughes until he broke his ribs. After Serra, I hope GSP fights Penn again b/c Penn is the only one with a legitimate chance at beating GSP at the moment (no disrespect to Hughes or other WW).

  26. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    That was me. I want to see what will happen in a rematch between GSP and Penn. The first round of Penn/GSP looked like the first round of Hughes/GSP II excpet Penn was the one doing all of the damage. His conditioning was lackluster for their first fight, but he looked very good against Hughes until he broke his ribs. After Serra, I hope GSP fights Penn again b/c Penn is the only one with a legitimate chance at beating GSP at the moment (no disrespect to Hughes or other WW).
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rodja again.

    I swear Rodja is the MMA master of this board. Very knowledgeable.

  27. Quote Originally Posted by pistonpump
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rodja again.

    I swear Rodja is the MMA master of this board. Very knowledgeable.
    Thank you for the compliments. I have really only been into MMA for about 2 years, but I have been obsessed with it ever since then. I also came to the conclusion that I have a better chance at MMA than I do at BBing.

  28. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    That was me. I want to see what will happen in a rematch between GSP and Penn. The first round of Penn/GSP looked like the first round of Hughes/GSP II excpet Penn was the one doing all of the damage. His conditioning was lackluster for their first fight, but he looked very good against Hughes until he broke his ribs. After Serra, I hope GSP fights Penn again b/c Penn is the only one with a legitimate chance at beating GSP at the moment (no disrespect to Hughes or other WW).
    I think Penn is going to drop to Lightweight...I'm sure he'd jump at a chance to fight for the welterweight title again though.

    Hughes looked like he traded places with his brother. I've never seen such a bad showing for Hughes. Although credit GSP for being a much superior and well prepared fighter. I think he exploited Hughes main weakness which is his boxing.

    I agree with everyone else that the Monson/Sylvia fight was lame and it seems like they just threw Monson in there to give Sylvia someone to fight. I'd really like to see Vera and Sylvia though. I think Vera would be a good match up. Hopefully Kongo can get his act together and challenge for the title as well. I think it's time for the Heavyweight title to change hands.

  29. Quote Originally Posted by Sir Savage
    See I disagree here.

    Monson should have mixed it up more while on top of Sylvia. If you can't reach his head, for frick's sake, throw body shots like there's no tomorrow. Then, rear back and throw some head shots when his head comes up. Repeat.

    It boggled my mind that he didn't throw any body shots. I just don't think he adequately prepared for this fight.
    Sounds like that would have been a damn good strategy :bruce1:

  30. Quote Originally Posted by dagecko
    I think Penn is going to drop to Lightweight...I'm sure he'd jump at a chance to fight for the welterweight title again though.

    Hughes looked like he traded places with his brother. I've never seen such a bad showing for Hughes. Although credit GSP for being a much superior and well prepared fighter. I think he exploited Hughes main weakness which is his boxing.

    I agree with everyone else that the Monson/Sylvia fight was lame and it seems like they just threw Monson in there to give Sylvia someone to fight. I'd really like to see Vera and Sylvia though. I think Vera would be a good match up. Hopefully Kongo can get his act together and challenge for the title as well. I think it's time for the Heavyweight title to change hands.
    Penn said on his website that he was staying at WW and after Serra, I would think that he would get the next shot considering their fight was more competitive than GSP/Hughes II. Although, I would not oppose Penn/Hughes III to see who gets to fight GSP, I hope Joe Silva realizes that Penn is the only one this moment that gave GSP any trouble in his fights.

  31. Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf
    Sounds like that would have been a damn good strategy :bruce1:
    Well I think so.

    While Monson was on top, Sylvia's head was slightly out of normal reach but his stomach was right freakin' there. Hit him in the stomach, soften him up, then when he reaches down to block the shots and his head comes up, rear back and tag him in the face.

    You know this brings up another issue- what the hell was Monson's corner telling him? I mean this seems pretty obvious to me.

    And what the hell was Hughes' corner telling him?? Stand there and trade with St. Pierre??

    "You're doing fine, Matt! Eye of the tiger!"

  32. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Thank you for the compliments. I have really only been into MMA for about 2 years, but I have been obsessed with it ever since then. I also came to the conclusion that I have a better chance at MMA than I do at BBing.
    Yeah, especially since one takes actual skill and is a real sport *cough*

  33. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    Yeah, especially since one takes actual skill and is a real sport *cough*
    don't be so hard on MMA Ex.

  34. Quote Originally Posted by exnihilo
    Yeah, especially since one takes actual skill and is a real sport *cough*
    I was speaking more along the lines of me not really having the genetics to be over 200 lbs at a decent BF%.

  35. Quote Originally Posted by Ubiquitous
    don't be so hard on MMA Ex.
    Yeah, those MMA guys don't know what's going on. They just walk out there and start swinging... Anyone could do that

    Now bodybuilders on the other hand, you ever think about how much work it takes to get every last striation to pop out in excruciating detail while sporting extreme vascularity in the middle of a front double bi? OMG SO HARD! And those endless sets of curls, leg curls and cable crossovers to define the lower pecs, leg separation and bicep peak?! It's monumental!! Come to think of it we need to petition for bodybuilding to be an olympic sport.

  36. Sylvia and Monson used to train together, I don't know if that had any impact.

    I feel Monson should have just covered up,bulldogged his way inside and rush him into the fence. Take away Sylvia's reach and fight him close.
    It seems like in the UFC theyll give you the round if you can just hold your opponent against the cage. Ex. Sera fight.

  37. I just seen the GSP and hughes fight had to work on fight night. Wow GSP came in there ready mentally and always physically. Finally a new champ, and I am very happy its GSP. I would like to see BJ fight GSP again too. I didnt get to see the sylvia and monson fight yo guys said monson lost, that sucks because I am a monson fan. Well cant wait till the tito and chuck fight. Okay time to go train,ALoha.

  38. Quote Originally Posted by will175
    I just seen the GSP and hughes fight had to work on fight night. Wow GSP came in there ready mentally and always physically. Finally a new champ, and I am very happy its GSP. I would like to see BJ fight GSP again too. I didnt get to see the sylvia and monson fight yo guys said monson lost, that sucks because I am a monson fan. Well cant wait till the tito and chuck fight. Okay time to go train,ALoha.
    Id love to see BJ as champ. Bring it back to the islands! haha.
    Does anyone have links to the video of gsp and hughes fight?

  39. Quote Originally Posted by will175
    I just seen the GSP and hughes fight had to work on fight night. Wow GSP came in there ready mentally and always physically. Finally a new champ, and I am very happy its GSP. I would like to see BJ fight GSP again too. I didnt get to see the sylvia and monson fight yo guys said monson lost, that sucks because I am a monson fan. Well cant wait till the tito and chuck fight. Okay time to go train,ALoha.
    Monson/Sylvia was pretty boring, but Monson came out to "Imagine" by John Lennon, it was pretty cool.

  40. I wonder who the UFC will match up next in this division.

    Penn/GSP II
    GSP/Hughes III
    Penn/Hughes III

    Just illustrating the point Rogue is making about the complete stagnate fighter stable of the UFC.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. UFC 71 Post Fight Discussion
    By stxnas in forum MMA
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 07:00 PM
  2. UFC 67 Post-Fight Discussion
    By Beowulf in forum MMA
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 02-09-2007, 11:02 AM
  3. UFC 66 Post Fight Discussion
    By stxnas in forum MMA
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-05-2007, 06:38 PM
  4. UFC 64: Post Fight Discussion
    By stxnas in forum MMA
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 10-28-2006, 10:42 AM
  5. UFC 64: Post Fight Discussion
    By stxnas in forum MMA
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Log in
Log in