I was so afraid this would happen...

1. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

I was so afraid this would happen...

Well I have a cauliflower ear on my right ear. It is not too bad right now, but I have no intention of taking time off so I will have to risk further injury. I guess grappling 4x/wk for the past 3 months was going have some sort of repercution...

Anyone else had this problem or know how to drain it properly?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.92%

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja
    Well I have a cauliflower ear on my right ear. It is not too bad right now, but I have no intention of taking time off so I will have to risk further injury. I guess grappling 4x/wk for the past 3 months was going have some sort of repercution...

Don't you need a doctor to drain the blood or whatever right away?

Also, why not wear headgear during practice?
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.02%

The best thing would be to have a doctor fix it. Or just get an insulin syringe put it in the middle of the swollen part and drain away. You might have to repeat a few times over the next few days. Wear head gear when your grappling till it heals or it will just keep filling up with blood.
    I had my ear swollen pretty bad but it's barely noticeable now.
    •   

4. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%
    Achievements Activity RoyaltyActivity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart
    Don't you need a doctor to drain the blood or whatever right away?

Also, why not wear headgear during practice?
    Kinda hard to wear head gear during jiujitsu.

As far as the doc part, I am not really sure how to approach the situation.
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.02%

Thats funny cause one time in class it seemed like everyone was wearing head gear and I made fun of them. Then about a month later I got the cauli in both ears.
  6. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.02%

Oh yeah it's easy to get the insulin syringes from the pharmacy. There is no prescription needed for diabetics just tell them you want one pack of 10 3/10cc insulin syringes.
  7. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.84%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Depends on the state.
  8. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.26%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Rodja, if you have health insurance, just make an appt. The doc should be able to either do it or refer you to someone who can. How vain are you? There are some guys walking around with some ridiculous ears (Cote, Linland). If you don't care, don't do anything. I"m vain enough that I would.

I got a bit paranoid after training the Muay Thai clinch one day. I got home and my wife and her friend started freaking out..."what the hell is wrong with your ears?" Turned out to be just bruising, that lasted a couple of weeks.
  9. Board Sponsor
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    49.91%

Does it hurt? Once you start to get it, can it be fully reversed?
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.02%

Once the two layers of collagen Get seperated They can no longer get blood and it dies. If theres blood left in between the layers, it crystalizes and hardens.
    A doctor will drain the blood and stitch the two layers together then it will heal.
    Take care of that shiat man, thats all I gotta say.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.92%

Well good luck man, I hope you're able to find a good doc who'll set this straight for you. I would call my GP first, if no luck, try a dermatologist. Please let us know how it turns out.

Are you a professional fighter? I drive a desk these days so need to look pretty at work, but fought amateur stand-up when I was younger. Even then I definitely wore a hat in practice.

What about the headgear that olympic wrestler's use? Does that protect from Cauliflower ear? Is that considered kooky among JJ folks?
  12. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.43%

Quote Originally Posted by blackheart
    Well good luck man, I hope you're able to find a good doc who'll set this straight for you. I would call my GP first, if no luck, try a dermatologist. Please let us know how it turns out.

Are you a professional fighter? I drive a desk these days so need to look pretty at work, but fought amateur stand-up when I was younger. Even then I definitely wore a hat in practice.

What about the headgear that olympic wrestler's use? Does that protect from Cauliflower ear? Is that considered kooky among JJ folks?
    Headgear is not common in BJJ and since I also don't wear a gi, I don't want to stick even more.

I don't have health insurance and I am a little worried about the possible outcome of this. I do have a fight coming up in the Spring, so I can't really afford to take a significant amount of time off especially since the holidays will already force me to take about 2 weeks off.
  13. Registered User
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.26%

Maybe you should ask for a Dr's appt. for Xmas
  14. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    61.68%

Use a STERILE needle, clean with alcohol or betadine and drain the fluid from your ear. If you wait to long your ear will end up looking worse than it has to be. I had this problem a few years back. If you wait too long the cartilage will harden and you'll end up looking like couture. My ear was pretty bad until I drained it, even though it did hurt a little. Nowadays my cauliflower is BARELY noticeable.

A few guys I train with have it REALLY bad in both ears. Numb it with ice and you'll be good to go. This is a very common bjj injury which is part of the game. As long as you are sterile their is no need to go to the doctor. This is one of those things that your typical doctor never treats. JMO from personal experience!
  15. Kyra Gracie= my future wife
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.34%

Let it be, wear it like a badge of pride. When you're walking down the street people will see your ear and immediately know that you have some sort of wrestling/fighting background and either start up a conversation if they have a similar background or they'll know not to **** with you cuz you know your sh!t. I haven't gotten cauliflower ear yet, at least nothing noticeable to others, but if I did I'd let it harden.
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"   lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.54%
    Achievements Posting Pro

You need to drain your ears ASAP. Waiting even a week can cause permanent 'damage'. I'm surprised no one at your gym offered to drain or lance it. In the end it is better to develop cauli ear to some extent. Otherwise you'll have to continue to drain and get it sewn up. Plus there's the pain that's always associated with it.
  17. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%

Couldnt you just tape your ears in the future the same way footballers do? I can understand not being able to wear headgear as it would get in the way.
  18. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    7.02%

Ahh headgear makes it easier to get out of side headlocks and such.

I just got a little more cauli in my first week back to jujitsu, I guess I'll be wearing my headgear in that place. I'm too dumb not to tap when my ear gets folded over and they're putting pressure on it, accidently of course.
  19. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.52%

Quote Originally Posted by mywetnightmares
    Let it be, wear it like a badge of pride. When you're walking down the street people will see your ear and immediately know that you have some sort of wrestling/fighting background
    as a person who has bounced for a long time, this is actually pretty true. When it comes to "cold" fights, that's one of the first things I look for.
  20. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    0.22%

Quote Originally Posted by mywetnightmares
    Let it be, wear it like a badge of pride. When you're walking down the street people will see your ear and immediately know that you have some sort of wrestling/fighting background and either start up a conversation if they have a similar background or they'll know not to **** with you cuz you know your sh!t. I haven't gotten cauliflower ear yet, at least nothing noticeable to others, but if I did I'd let it harden.
    WoW not so much!!! Keep telling yourself that!!!
  21. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.09%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Headgear is not common in BJJ and since I also don't wear a gi, I don't want to stick even more.

I don't have health insurance and I am a little worried about the possible outcome of this. I do have a fight coming up in the Spring, so I can't really afford to take a significant amount of time off especially since the holidays will already force me to take about 2 weeks off.
    Wrestling headgear is basically a pair of earcups with a head or chin strap. It's not restricting like boxing/MT headgear.
  22. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.76%

Needle then compression with ice, i had to have mild sugry on my right ear. Also investing in really good head gear(not the cheap one's) would do your ears much in the way of a favors.

Also try not to sleep on that ear, hope this helps.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.5%

Wow that sucks. I had it once and got it drained by a doctor but then it came right back and I had to get it drained again

The way I had it done was the doctor first injected some kind of pain killer in my ear, then he took a needle and got all the fluid out of my ear and then stiched(sp?) it up.

So it was kind of like Dr. Liftalot's, minor surgery.
  24. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    97.5%

Dude if you are fighting BJJ you really need to have some health insurance. Don't be stupid. You can get health insurance for as little as 110 bucks a month.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
  2. Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 02:09 PM
  3. What would happen if....
    By jas123 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:15 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-07-2004, 07:58 AM
  5. Replies: 12