I was so afraid this would happen...

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I have a cauliflower ear on my right ear. It is not too bad right now, but I have no intention of taking time off so I will have to risk further injury. I guess grappling 4x/wk for the past 3 months was going have some sort of repercution...

Anyone else had this problem or know how to drain it properly?

blackheart

blackheart

Awards
Well I have a cauliflower ear on my right ear. It is not too bad right now, but I have no intention of taking time off so I will have to risk further injury. I guess grappling 4x/wk for the past 3 months was going have some sort of repercution...

Don't you need a doctor to drain the blood or whatever right away?

Also, why not wear headgear during practice?

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
The best thing would be to have a doctor fix it. Or just get an insulin syringe put it in the middle of the swollen part and drain away. You might have to repeat a few times over the next few days. Wear head gear when your grappling till it heals or it will just keep filling up with blood.
I had my ear swollen pretty bad but it's barely noticeable now.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Don't you need a doctor to drain the blood or whatever right away?

Also, why not wear headgear during practice?
Kinda hard to wear head gear during jiujitsu.

As far as the doc part, I am not really sure how to approach the situation.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established

Thats funny cause one time in class it seemed like everyone was wearing head gear and I made fun of them. Then about a month later I got the cauli in both ears.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah it's easy to get the insulin syringes from the pharmacy. There is no prescription needed for diabetics just tell them you want one pack of 10 3/10cc insulin syringes.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Rodja, if you have health insurance, just make an appt. The doc should be able to either do it or refer you to someone who can. How vain are you? There are some guys walking around with some ridiculous ears (Cote, Linland). If you don't care, don't do anything. I"m vain enough that I would.

I got a bit paranoid after training the Muay Thai clinch one day. I got home and my wife and her friend started freaking out..."what the hell is wrong with your ears?" Turned out to be just bruising, that lasted a couple of weeks.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Does it hurt? Once you start to get it, can it be fully reversed?

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Once the two layers of collagen Get seperated They can no longer get blood and it dies. If theres blood left in between the layers, it crystalizes and hardens.
A doctor will drain the blood and stitch the two layers together then it will heal.
Take care of that shiat man, thats all I gotta say.

blackheart

blackheart

Awards

Well good luck man, I hope you're able to find a good doc who'll set this straight for you. I would call my GP first, if no luck, try a dermatologist. Please let us know how it turns out.

Are you a professional fighter? I drive a desk these days so need to look pretty at work, but fought amateur stand-up when I was younger. Even then I definitely wore a hat in practice.

What about the headgear that olympic wrestler's use? Does that protect from Cauliflower ear? Is that considered kooky among JJ folks?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well good luck man, I hope you're able to find a good doc who'll set this straight for you. I would call my GP first, if no luck, try a dermatologist. Please let us know how it turns out.

Are you a professional fighter? I drive a desk these days so need to look pretty at work, but fought amateur stand-up when I was younger. Even then I definitely wore a hat in practice.

What about the headgear that olympic wrestler's use? Does that protect from Cauliflower ear? Is that considered kooky among JJ folks?
Headgear is not common in BJJ and since I also don't wear a gi, I don't want to stick even more.

I don't have health insurance and I am a little worried about the possible outcome of this. I do have a fight coming up in the Spring, so I can't really afford to take a significant amount of time off especially since the holidays will already force me to take about 2 weeks off.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Maybe you should ask for a Dr's appt. for Xmas :D

papa G

Awards
Use a STERILE needle, clean with alcohol or betadine and drain the fluid from your ear. If you wait to long your ear will end up looking worse than it has to be. I had this problem a few years back. If you wait too long the cartilage will harden and you'll end up looking like couture. My ear was pretty bad until I drained it, even though it did hurt a little. Nowadays my cauliflower is BARELY noticeable.

A few guys I train with have it REALLY bad in both ears. Numb it with ice and you'll be good to go. This is a very common bjj injury which is part of the game. As long as you are sterile their is no need to go to the doctor. This is one of those things that your typical doctor never treats. JMO from personal experience!

mywetnightmares

Kyra Gracie= my future wife
Awards
  • Established
Let it be, wear it like a badge of pride. When you're walking down the street people will see your ear and immediately know that you have some sort of wrestling/fighting background and either start up a conversation if they have a similar background or they'll know not to fvck with you cuz you know your sh!t. I haven't gotten cauliflower ear yet, at least nothing noticeable to others, but if I did I'd let it harden.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
You need to drain your ears ASAP. Waiting even a week can cause permanent 'damage'. I'm surprised no one at your gym offered to drain or lance it. In the end it is better to develop cauli ear to some extent. Otherwise you'll have to continue to drain and get it sewn up. Plus there's the pain that's always associated with it.

jaydee

Awards
  • Established
Couldnt you just tape your ears in the future the same way footballers do? I can understand not being able to wear headgear as it would get in the way.

warriorway

warriorway

Awards
  • Established
Ahh headgear makes it easier to get out of side headlocks and such.

I just got a little more cauli in my first week back to jujitsu, I guess I'll be wearing my headgear in that place. I'm too dumb not to tap when my ear gets folded over and they're putting pressure on it, accidently of course.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Let it be, wear it like a badge of pride. When you're walking down the street people will see your ear and immediately know that you have some sort of wrestling/fighting background
as a person who has bounced for a long time, this is actually pretty true. When it comes to "cold" fights, that's one of the first things I look for.

Kris4153

Kris4153

Awards
  • Established
Let it be, wear it like a badge of pride. When you're walking down the street people will see your ear and immediately know that you have some sort of wrestling/fighting background and either start up a conversation if they have a similar background or they'll know not to fvck with you cuz you know your sh!t. I haven't gotten cauliflower ear yet, at least nothing noticeable to others, but if I did I'd let it harden.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: WoW not so much!!! Keep telling yourself that!!!:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Headgear is not common in BJJ and since I also don't wear a gi, I don't want to stick even more.

I don't have health insurance and I am a little worried about the possible outcome of this. I do have a fight coming up in the Spring, so I can't really afford to take a significant amount of time off especially since the holidays will already force me to take about 2 weeks off.
Wrestling headgear is basically a pair of earcups with a head or chin strap. It's not restricting like boxing/MT headgear.

Dr Liftalot

Dr Liftalot

Awards
  • Established

Needle then compression with ice, i had to have mild sugry on my right ear. Also investing in really good head gear(not the cheap one's) would do your ears much in the way of a favors.

Also try not to sleep on that ear, hope this helps.

Eric

Awards

Wow that sucks. I had it once and got it drained by a doctor but then it came right back and I had to get it drained again:D:icon_lol:

The way I had it done was the doctor first injected some kind of pain killer in my ear, then he took a needle and got all the fluid out of my ear and then stiched(sp?) it up.

So it was kind of like Dr. Liftalot's, minor surgery.

westniles

Awards
Dude if you are fighting BJJ you really need to have some health insurance. Don't be stupid. You can get health insurance for as little as 110 bucks a month.