TUF4 Finale

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
So, the big Finale for the least watched season of the Ultimate Fighter is coming up this weekend. The big question is...does anyone really care?

In all honesty, I'm not too thrilled about this card. I was looking forward to watching Mike Bisping go to work; however, the US Government doesn't feel he should work in here (visa issues). Now the advertised main event will not be happening until December and no replacement bout has been announced. The two TUF Championship matches have potential, but I think the prize is simply unrealistic.

Matt Serra/Chris Lytle - Serra is probably the most likeable personality from this season. He already has a solid background in the UFC. Lytle may well be the most well-rounded fighter from this season. Should be plenty of solid action and I think this will be the better of the two fights; ends with Serra coming out on top by decision.

Patrick Cote/Travis Lutter - I like Cote. I don't mind Lutter. Both are solid fighters. If Lutter stands with Cote he'll be in trouble...he won't. Lutter will take him down and work from there. Lutter by rear naked choke...round two.

You'll notice two common things about my comments on these fights...all are solid fighters, as it should be for the UFC. This is exactly the problem UFC is having right now. Almost every guy on this show is capable of performing in the UFC and has proved it. So why are they toiling away on a reality show rather than filling their PPV and UFN cards with solid, established fighters?? I understand that the UFC needs to build personalities and faces casual fans will get behind but this simply isn't working this season.
Another thing I don't like about this season is the title fight scenario. Like I said, these guys are solid fighters but in no way are they moving up the ladder in terms of competition by winning TUF. All of the four finalists have lost to mid-level contenders in their divisions...does anyone really want to see them fight for the title? Sure, it could end up being a cinderella story, or more likely, a highlight reel KO.

What can the UFC do to save The Ultimate Fighter?
As stupid as this may sound...half the crew should be guys that will make it to the UFC regardless and the other half should be cans to create exciting KO's and submissions. Then they should enforce the contract part of the show. Make it like the first season where these guys thought this was their only shot at the UFC and they actually fought like it. Put everything on the line. It creates better entertainment and in turn better ratings.

Just some thoughts...

Rest of TUF4 Finale
Din Thomas vs. Rich Clementi
Edwin Dewees vs. Jorge Rivera
Martin Kampmann vs. Thales Leites
Pete Sell vs. Scott Smith
Jeremy Jackson vs. Pete Spratt
Charles McCarthy vs. Gideon Ray

tattoopierced1

I'm torn on the Lytle/Serra fight. They are both great fighters, Lytle probably has the upper hand standing up. I really like both fighters, but since Lytle is from Indiana, like myself, I will have to go with him, although I would be pleased too if Serra one.

Lutter should easily take out Cote. I'm not impressed with Cote at all.

Thomas should be able to take out Clementi.

Rivera over Dewees

Sell over Smith

Spratt over Jackson

Captain Miserable will lose as well.

Not familiar with Martin or Leites, so I wont comment on that fight.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Wow, how about Smith vs Drago last night!?!?! Great fight.
I'm not so sure about the Serra/Lytle decision though...

Priceless.

tattoopierced1

Smith Sell fight was freaking amazing... that will be on highlight reels to come.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That was one of the greatest endings. I thought that the whole event was pretty good until the Serra/Lytle fight. I thought Lytle won it 29-28, but neither really did anything so you can't complain about the decision. Lutter looked pretty good.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
That was the best free event I've seen. Serra vs. Lytle was a bit disappointing b/c they neutralized each other so effectively. That Kampman vs. Thales fight appeared to have potential. Thomas vs. Clementi was good. I would've liked to see more from Cote.

size

Awards
  • Established
Something needs to be done about the scoring in the UFC. It is ridiculous that 2 judges give all the rounds to one fighter and then another judge gives all the rounds to the other fighter. This should not happen.

Both Serra and Lytle seem to be good people who are good for the sport with their attitudes so it is unfortunate that the decision was so odd. Hopefully, Lytle will continue to fight in the UFC.

Lutter seems to have no problem taking fighters down. His opponents know his plan, yet he effectively achieves it. The ease that he was able to take Cote down and submit him really impressed me. While, I expected Lutter to win, I thought it would be more challenging.

Din Thomas looks to be back in good form again. I hope he continues to fight as he has a very well rounded fighter.

Another note on the night for me, I was really pleased to see how Anderson Silva handled him self with his responses to fighting Travis Lutter. Fighters with positive attitudes will really help the sport grow. Showing respect for opposition is something I am happy to see and I would think most martial artists would agree.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Another note on the night for me, I was really pleased to see how Anderson Silva handled him self with his responses to fighting Travis Lutter. Fighters with positive attitudes will really help the sport grow. Showing respect for opposition is something I am happy to see and I would think most martial artists would agree.
Absolutely :cheers:

tattoopierced1

Serra doesnt stand a chance with either Hughes or GSP. I think Lytle would have a better chance with either of them than Serra.

As far as Lutter and Silva, I think as long as Silva has his knees ready for when Lutter trys to take him down, he'll be OK.