Ufn7

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
So, everyone knows what to expect from Tito/Shamrock III...but what do you guys think about the TUF crowd for Thursday.

Kendall Grove v Chris Price
-Kendall is probably the most improved fighter from last season. He's now training with Tito and Team Punishment. I can't wait to see how much more this guy has grown. Very tall @ 185 will pose a problem for most opponents. Chris Price is undefeated at 8-0. I've never seen him fight before. I think Kendall will take this one via sub.

Ed Herman v Jason MacDonald
-Herman should come out like a beast in this fight. I bet he's still chapped about the decision against Kendall and has something to prove. This could also hurt him because MacDonald doesn't appear to be a pushover. He's got some losses but check his resume...
Losses to Patrick Cote, Marvin Eastman, Shonie Carter, Matt Horwich, Kalib Starnes and a win over Joe Doerksen. He's fought some pretty big names in his career and this fight has potential to be a good one. Decision Herman.

Matt Hamill v Seth Petruzelli
-I'm not sold on Matt Hamill. I understand he was injured in his fight on TUF but his stand up was some of the sloppiest I've ever seen. Its no secret that this guy is phenomenal with the wrestling and is not to be underestimated. He obviously doesn't like to be hit though. Hopefully Tito has worked him over and built him up better. On the other hand, Seth is a great striker. The guy dropped Bob Sapp in K-1. He was a pudgy heavyweight on TUF and should be a beast @ 205. Matt must take this to the ground and keep it there at all costs. I'll go with the upset here and take Seth by KO.

What do you guys think?? Feel free to comment on the other fights as well.

Nate Marquardt/Crafton Wallace
Josh Haynes/Rory Singer
John Alessio/Thiago Alves
Tony DeSouza/Dustin Hazelett
Marcus Davis/Forrest Petz

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I don't know most of the guys that are fighting, so I can't really say. Despite lacking in the masculinity dept., I think that guy Rory was quite talented. His attitude/mindset was his biggest weakness. Josh was sloppy as hell, but determined, so we may be looking at a battle of opposite strengths. I'd have to give it to Josh, just b/c he will take a beating (see fight w/ Bisping). That's the only fight in which I know both fighters.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I agree with your picks for the most part. Seth vs. Matt Hamill is a toss up to me. I'll go with Marquardt, Alves, and Singer as well.

size

Awards
  • Established
Matt Hamill could be dominant now and into his future due to his wrestling (but he needs to improve his stand-up). Great wrestler are hard to stop in MMA b/c they have be shooting for takedowns all there life. Look at guys like Hughes, Lindland, Henderson, and Sherk, they are dominate due to the wrestling.

Of course, this does not mean he will win especially if he walks around with his hands down.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I concur, I would take Hammill in the second round by ref stoppage (hopefully Tito has moulded him into and effective GnP'er) as long as he does not try to stand-up. I am really excited about seeing what Herman has done with his time, I feel he has a great skill set with a mean streak and just needed some refining and better conditioning.

Is Bisping injured? Or is this a deliberate message by White that he is being groomed for better things?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Bispings fighting on Sat. at UFC 64. Forgot who he's fighting, though.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Whoops, maybe it was UFC 65 then. They've got 9 fights there so the cards full. Good catch Stxnas.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whoops, maybe it was UFC 65 then. They've got 9 fights there so the cards full. Good catch Stxnas.
Damn...I got excited. I have seen a couple of his fights outside of TUF and I am looking forward to his arrival in the UFC.

I haven't seen any of the undercard fights listed yet for UFC 65. I guess Bisping will be one of them.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Shamrock with a ridiculous upset. I don't care about most of the fights. I'd like to see Alessio/Alves and DeSouza's fight. DeSouza doesn't get a lot of press, but he's a tough guy to beat. I hope Hammill wins.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been seeing Alve's name a lot lately.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I guess I don't want Hammil to win b/c the wrestlers can be so frickin' boring to watch. Petruzelli is a striker, and should be more exciting.

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Damn...I got excited. I have seen a couple of his fights outside of TUF and I am looking forward to his arrival in the UFC.

I haven't seen any of the undercard fights listed yet for UFC 65. I guess Bisping will be one of them.
I actually read that his fight will be on the finale of TUF4 on November 11 instead. Guess the UFC needed a main event and took it off the 65 card.

Mike Bisping v Eric Schafer

65 is shaping up to be a decent event...
Hughes/GSP
Sylvia/Monson
Vera/Mir
plus Nick Diaz and Joe Daddy are supposed to be fighting someone as well.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I guess I don't want Hammil to win b/c the wrestlers can be so frickin' boring to watch. Petruzelli is a striker, and should be more exciting.
Dammit, I just got home from...umm, shooting wild game (aka linen shopping with wife) and missed the first fight!:frustrate:

That second fight didn't last too long!

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, you didn't miss much. i really don't like the wrestlers, especially noob wrestlers. Petruzelli was way to tentative. Every time he started throwing he shook Hammill, but he didn't do it enough.

Jason McDonald was very impressive. Kendall and Herman looked like the new talent in the 185 division. I missed the beginning, but McDonald was very slick as hell on the ground. Great BJJ w/ some strikes thrown in. I look forward to seeing more from this guy.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Honestly, you didn't miss much. i really don't like the wrestlers, especially noob wrestlers. Petruzelli was way to tentative. Every time he started throwing he shook Hammill, but he didn't do it enough.

Jason McDonald was very impressive. Kendall and Herman looked like the new talent in the 185 division. I missed the beginning, but McDonald was very slick as hell on the ground. Great BJJ w/ some strikes thrown in. I look forward to seeing more from this guy.
He definitely looked impressive on the ground. He was able to transition from one move to the next very easily, but Ed's not exactly a wizard on the ground. Four of his five losses were via submission...

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Isn't Kendall supposedly good on the ground? Compare Ed vs. Kendall to Ed vs. MacDonald. I think this guy would outclass Kendall, too.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Isn't Kendall supposedly good on the ground? Compare Ed vs. Kendall to Ed vs. MacDonald. I think this guy would outclass Kendall, too.
I wouldn't doubt that. MacDonald looked very good on the ground...don't get me wrong, I wasn't taking anything away from him. I was just pointing out that Ed seems to need a lot of work on the ground.

Oh, and who did Kendall call out after his fight? Did he say he wanted to fight Leben?

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
I think he said Rory Singer, the nursing student who everyone gay baited on the show. Rory beat Josh Haynes on the undercard. Kid has skills, but not much heart from what I recall.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Damn, that last match was quick! I was hoping it would go on longer than that...

I think he said Rory Singer, the nursing student who everyone gay baited on the show. Rory beat Josh Haynes on the undercard. Kid has skills, but not much heart from what I recall.
I wonder why he would call him out? Maybe Rory said something after his fight...

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was fairly disappointed in a UFC card, again, but at least I never payed this time. Hamill's stand-up is horrendous and that match was fairly boring, but he definitely has alot of promise in his strength. I was disappointed in Ed, as I was pulling for him but McDonald has very smooth and technical ground game.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I was fairly disappointed in a UFC card, again, but at least I never payed this time. Hamill's stand-up is horrendous and that match was fairly boring, but he definitely has alot of promise in his strength. I was disappointed in Ed, as I was pulling for him but McDonald has very smooth and technical ground game.
Yeah, that event sucked. That's really I have to say.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It was free and what else was on TV tonight?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's why I said I was glad I didn't pay for it this time

:)

Even still I really, really thought Ed was going to come out with a more impressive showing than that, but I suppose some fights just happen as such relatively early in a career. Hopefully White won't go Stephan Bonner on his ass and give him brutal fights which will take him nowhere....

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That's why I said I was glad I didn't pay for it this time

:)

Even still I really, really thought Ed was going to come out with a more impressive showing than that, but I suppose some fights just happen as such relatively early in a career. Hopefully White won't go Stephan Bonner on his ass and give him brutal fights which will take him nowhere....
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like a smart@ss if I did.I was just being matter of fact, not a ****.

I was pulling for Ed too, but he has really gotten off to a bad start. He'll probably have to get in the ring with a few no names and build himself back up...not to mention work on his ground game in the mean time. Ed is to the triangle choke like Frank Trigg was to the RNC.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Dog the bounty hunter. No, you're right, I appreciate that UFC has these UFN shows for free, but you have to admit it was pretty dismal. There were some good match-ups on the undercard unfortunately we didn't get to see them. That's what they have Unleashed for though.

EESCHMan

Awards
  • Established
Ed Herman v Jason MacDonald - MacDonald looked very impressive. He "should" be a new force in the division

Matt Hamill v Seth Petruzelli - liked Matt Hamill on UF, but haven't been too impressed with his skills. Seth had him hurt, but didn't keep the strikes coming...also, since when is a Division III Wrestling Champ, world class?! Isn't Div III Junior College? My college football team was Div II and it was like high school, so I can't even imagine Div III. I'm not saying he doesn't have good wrestling skills, but Div III isn't "World Class."

Tito v. Shamrock - went the way everyone thought it would. I used to hate Tito, but since UF, I've started to like him. Was kinda hoping he wouldn't wear one of his "shirts" at the end, but oh well. He ended up apologizing, and Ken finally admitted that he was beaten...nice end

Looking forward to Franklin/Silva as Franklin is one of my favorite fighters (along with Sak (pre-Silva), and Rampage)

size

Awards
  • Established
Hamill was a Div III wrestler b/c he attended Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) which has a program for the deaf. He is an excellent wrestler. Is he a Karelin or Gable? No. However, his stand-up is bad. His punches drag and his hands drop. On the ground he just does not pass the guard which is foolish and limits his finishing capabilities.

Herman, in my opinion, is simply over agressive. He goes to hard leaving too many opening. If he approached with more caution I think it would be to his benefit.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Dog the bounty hunter. No, you're right, I appreciate that UFC has these UFN shows for free, but you have to admit it was pretty dismal. There were some good match-ups on the undercard unfortunately we didn't get to see them. That's what they have Unleashed for though.
I think the new John Cena movie is out:lol:

MacDonald looked really good on the ground. i can't wait to see more of him.
Ed Herman was overrated. I've never been impressed by any of his TUF fights or this one. People seem to think he's good because he told them so on TUF.

Seth should have gone for the kill a few times and not pulled guard as much.

Seeing Ken try for a leg brought a smile to my face and at least he defended against the GnP for a minute or two. He looked better than last time but the expected happened. They gave him a decent send-off too. I knew Tito was strong, but damn he was picking Ken up in that clinched position. That was impressive.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think the new John Cena movie is out:lol:

MacDonald looked really good on the ground. i can't wait to see more of him.
Ed Herman was overrated. I've never been impressed by any of his TUF fights or this one. People seem to think he's good because he told them so on TUF.

Seth should have gone for the kill a few times and not pulled guard as much.

Seeing Ken try for a leg brought a smile to my face and at least he defended against the GnP for a minute or two. He looked better than last time but the expected happened. They gave him a decent send-off too. I knew Tito was strong, but damn he was picking Ken up in that clinched position. That was impressive.
Macdonald looked good on the ground and looked very light on his feet, but I can't tell if he can strike or not based off of his record (Advertising at Sherdog.com)

Tito is just ridiculously strong. When Tito and Ken first clinched it looked like Ken's feet were off of the ground.

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry, but Kendall is "Da Spyder"...gosh, what were you thinking?:fool2:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
The name of that event would be something ridiculous like:

UFC 76 - Grove vs. Silva- "The Webs Only Big Enough For One Spider"

Bas Rutten said something about Shamrock being incredibly strong (maybe during the Frye/Sham match). I thought he said that Ken was the strongest guy he had ever faced. Of course, he was using a little more back then.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I don't remember the exact quote so someone help me with what Bas said. He did train Kerr for a while (it's in the Smashing Machine) and said he was incredibly strong. I'm sure you're right, though, in that prime Shammy doesn't compare to a Kerr or a Coleman.