Heath Herring in WFA

MisterEZE

Awards
  • Established
Heath Herring will be fighting in the WFA on December 9th . His first time fighting in the US in over seven years. I think the UFC really dropped the ball in not picking up Herring for their weak Heavyweight division.
What do you guys think about the WFA? They promoted the hell out of their first PPV this year but I hear they didn't sell too many. There were some really good fights at the event, I mean, come on, Bas Rutten fought again! Hopefully Herring will bring a little more firepower to the WFA.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
When I first read the title I thought it was "Health herring" and wondered why there was a fish recipe in the MMA section.

*whistles and walks away*

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This actually the second time that the UFC has had the chance to sign Herring. He has all of the tools to be a very marketable fighter in the US, but for some reason Dana won't sign him, or even make him an offer. The WFA had a great PPV in July, but with the whole Bas injury, they really didn't have a chance to build off of their momentum.

size

Awards
  • Established
I am starting to wonder if the UFC does not want to bring in fighters that have fought in the other big name shows. Maybe a fear of the fighter doing too well.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am starting to wonder if the UFC does not want to bring in fighters that have fought in the other big name shows. Maybe a fear of the fighter doing too well.
Herring didn't do too well in PRIDE. I think that his best win was against Kerr, but he is still young enough to make improvements in his game.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
Herring wouldn't like the UFC rule set since you can't knee a downed opponent to the head.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Well, they are giving A. Silva a title shot after just one fight.

He would be a great addition to the HW division. Maybe they don't think he's good enough to pay his Pride salary.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Herring wouldn't like the UFC rule set since you can't knee a downed opponent to the head.
That is not a UFC rule, though. It is a NSAC rule and I don't think that the WFA allows knees to a downed opponent either.

size

Awards
  • Established
I was more implying Quinton Jackson, but Herring is a fighter that is tough in my opinion. If you look at the guys he has lost to, many of them are top tier(Nog, Fedor, Crocop). In addition, the UFC badly needs some bigger fighters.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see Rico/Herring in the WFA. That would be a damn good fight.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Herring is rumored to be fighting Rizzo at the next WFA event in December. Also a possible rematch between Rampage and Marvin Eastman. Any thoughts? I think Rizzo may actually get a long awaited victory and Rampage should get his revenge.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Those are pretty good fights. Rampage should def. win that one and I'd like to Rizzo win as well. I liked watching Rizzo back in the day. He's got great power in his hands and his opponents tended to end up with black and blue thighs from those leg kicks.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't say he's been competitive in K-1, he beat Goodridge, but he got DQed against "Kiss" Nakao and got injured against Sam Greco. Herring hasn't had a really good fight ever since Mirko and Fedor beat him back to back(who would?). Rizzo and Herring have followed a somewhat similar path, both being top 5 guys at one point but never being able to get the big win, and now they have both been doing pretty badly for the last 2-3 years. They're still two talented fighters, it should be good. Salaverry should be on the card too.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I never saw the Goodridge fight, but I think Herring GnPed to victory. IMO Greco is or was an elite level striker, maybe between 95-2000. I think you're right about Herring lacking discipline, he just doesn't seem to improve AT ALL. Herring has been with Golden Glory(awesome stand-up team, which I'm sure you knew) for about 5 years and hasn't seemed to improve much at all in stand-up, go figure. I guess too many hot Dutch chicks to stay focused.