Gogoplata

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I am not sure how many people know what this sub is, but I learned it the other day and thought I would share my experience. What the gogoplata is, basically, is a choke using the foot. While you have someone in your guard, trap their right arm with an underhook. Do a hip escape onto your right hip and put your right foot on their left hip. While keeping the arm trapped and one foot on the hip, swing your left leg above the trapped arm with the top of the foot across the throat. Trap their left arm with your right arm and grab you left big toe with your left hand by going over their head.

The beauty of this move is that their are several transitions into either an omoplata or a triangle so you aren't left with only one possible submission during the setup.

size

Awards
  • Established
I can never secure one, the flexibility in my hips just is not there. I remember being instructed on how to do it. I assumed it would be no problem, but once I tried, it was just not working.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can never secure one, the flexibility in my hips just is not there. I remember being instructed on how to do it. I assumed it would be no problem, but once I tried, it was just not working.
I can never reach my left big toe so I usually just secure the head with my hands and finish the choke. I don't have the best knee flexibility so I have some trouble with triangles and other moves that rely on good joint flexibility.

tattoopierced1

not to highjack this thread, but Rodja, I see you have your NSCA, I am going to class for this now and should have mine by December. How was the test?

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I hear Joe Rogan call out this move every once in a while and I knew it was a choke, but I can never distinguish the moves to this sub.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
not to highjack this thread, but Rodja, I see you have your NSCA, I am going to class for this now and should have mine by December. How was the test?
The test wasn't too bad, but it was a little harder than I expected.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hear Joe Rogan call out this move every once in a while and I knew it was a choke, but I can never distinguish the moves to this sub.
I usually hear him talk about someone going for an omoplata which is basically a shoulder lock with the legs. It is a little more difficult to pull off, but when you do, it is sweet.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You look like a guy I would taser for moving the wrong way, Rodja :)

You MMA guys are a piece of work. Crazy fookers.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I wish I could say that my avatar was me, but it is Wanderlei Silva, the PRIDE middleweight champion and my favorite fighter.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established

That's one of the less intimidating pics of Silva, and then there's Cyborg. On the flip side, check out Kyra Gracie sometime. She's pretty hot and has a vicious triangle choke.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
That's one of the less intimidating pics of Silva, and then there's Cyborg. On the flip side, check out Kyra Gracie sometime. She's pretty hot and has a vicious triangle choke.
Something tells me I wouldn't mind being in her triangle :twisted:

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
i had a guy get me in one of these dam submissions last week lol. we were goin at it on the mat for like 20 mins with no tapouts,( i had a crapload of energy that day, hes also 175 while i am 225 so he diff. has the energy lol). its aight though i pulled a bottom twist-flip on him and got him in a rear naked choke ahahah. he didnt like that one.:rofl:

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Damn Brazlians...why must they torment us like that??
Yeah, there's definitely a hot gene floating around in the Brazilian female genetic pool. Insert your own Kyra North-South joke.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i had a guy get me in one of these dam submissions last week lol. we were goin at it on the mat for like 20 mins with no tapouts,( i had a crapload of energy that day, hes also 175 while i am 225 so he diff. has the energy lol). its aight though i pulled a bottom twist-flip on him and got him in a rear naked choke ahahah. he didnt like that one.:rofl:
This is a move that you do NOT want to use on someone significantly bugger and stronger because during the setup, your knee is in a vulnerable position and, if they're strong enough, your opponent can dislocate your knee. I usually only try this move when they are starting to gas out and against people my own size.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
This is a move that you do NOT want to use on someone significantly bugger and stronger because during the setup, your knee is in a vulnerable position and, if they're strong enough, your opponent can dislocate your knee. I usually only try this move when they are starting to gas out and against people my own size.
lol tell that to him lol, but like i said, i pulled a twist flip on him, lol he couldnt believe aguy my size could do it to him lol

size

Awards
  • Established
Here is one in a match from Pride Shockwave 2006

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIuVtnrL8_8"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

dito

Awards
  • Established
That link of kyra isn't working anymore. Does anyone have more pics?

Rogue Drone

Awards
  • Established
I tried the Gogoplata once, washed it down with too much Gin.
Never again, gave me the runs for three days.