I am so F'ing excited!!!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I talked to a promoter of one of the smaller organizations here in TX called the XFC. He said that they will be having another event sometime in the spring next year after their November show in Austin. Here is the awesome part - I asked him what I have to do sign-up for a fight and he said that I just need medical clearance, which is basically a physical, bloodwork, and some other basic medical things. Anyway, I have a tentative agreement to fight at 170 in about 6 months.

The timing could not be better because I am taking next semester off because of mental burnout and I will have a lot of time to devote to training and saving some money. I think the pay is kinda low, $500 to show and $500 to win, but I really just want to see if I have what it takes to try to become a real pro, or if I should just stick to PTing and developing my plans of opening an MMA training center.

When I find the exact date, I will update the schedule and I will keep a log of my training and diet starting about 3 months out. I already know that I will be running Anagen and Fenotest with Xtend throughout the 3 months leading up to my fight.

NO HYPE

Awards
  • Established
"I think the pay is kinda low, $500 to show and $500 to win, but I really just want to see if I have what it takes to try to become a real pro,"
Congatulations.

I too am in a very similar situation.

I am also awaiting my first pro MMA fight.

As for the money.... for myself, I would actually pay the fight promoter to let me fight.

The oppertunity to initiate a legitimate proffesional record is priceless to me.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Congrats, Rodja! I'm sure it is a well-deserved opportunity. I can't wait to read the log :head: Have fun! MMA is really blowing up, so if you can handle being in the ring, you could have a serious shot at long-term success. Another local guy here, Joe Lauzon's brother is fighting in the UFC vs. Spencer Fisher in October. Opportunities are available, but I guess it helps if you're from Dana's hometown.

No Hype, if that match is in the WFL, I'll be there. Good luck to you, too. I was at a WFL match last night. Tons of great fighters around. My team went 3-1, but that 1 was a bullshido decision that I fail to comprehend and left much of the crowd booing. I really consider it 4-0.

ersatz

Awards
  • Established
500+500 isn't too bad especially for a local non-televised show. Hell, that's more than a lot of KOTC fighters get paid, LOL. Good luck.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Timing sounds perfect, take advantage. Good luck, and keep us posted on training and any thoughts you have about the fight.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you for all of the support and well-wishes. I will train until around Christmas time and I will probably take a couple of weeks off to let myself heal up before I start the real training in early January.

I have told my mom and she is aboard with my decision and I can't wait to let all of my friends and family know my plans. My best friend from Midland said that she will definitely be there, which is awesome because I don't really see her that often.

Interestingly enough, one of my friends said he will do it with me, but he will fight at 185. I will be in his corner and vice-versa. Sadly, my biggest worry is picking the entrance music because I do not want to pick a crappy song. I saw the thread earlier, but I still haven't made up my mind.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Good luck, Rodja. Do you like to stand more or do you prefer the ground?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck, Rodja. Do you like to stand more or do you prefer the ground?
I am a muay thai fighter, but I am comfortable on the ground. My style is similar to Crocop's in the sense that I use my hands to set up high kicks. For my weight class, I have great strength and my flexibility helps in me so many ways. In my training, I don't focus as much on my stand-up as I do on my BJJ. I never wrestled, but I have a wrestlers sense of base and my rolling partners find it hard to believe taht I am still new at grappling.

That being said, I will be going for a KO because I get a little more $$ for a KO.

Beowulf

Beowulf

Awards
  • Established
Thank you for all of the support and well-wishes. I will train until around Christmas time and I will probably take a couple of weeks off to let myself heal up before I start the real training in early January.

I have told my mom and she is aboard with my decision and I can't wait to let all of my friends and family know my plans. My best friend from Midland said that she will definitely be there, which is awesome because I don't really see her that often.

Interestingly enough, one of my friends said he will do it with me, but he will fight at 185. I will be in his corner and vice-versa. Sadly, my biggest worry is picking the entrance music because I do not want to pick a crappy song. I saw the thread earlier, but I still haven't made up my mind.
If you're a good kicker, Shakira's "Hips Don't Lie" is the obvious choice :bb2:

You guys may not want the responsibility of being in each other's corners b/c you have enough to worry about as it is. Most guys are in an odd state of mind before they fight. You don't want to compromise your own fight because of some distraction, and you don't want your buddy to be neglecting his corner duties to you b/c he is focused on his own fight. If you fight first, help him out.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I am a muay thai fighter, but I am comfortable on the ground. My style is similar to Crocop's in the sense that I use my hands to set up high kicks. For my weight class, I have great strength and my flexibility helps in me so many ways. In my training, I don't focus as much on my stand-up as I do on my BJJ. I never wrestled, but I have a wrestlers sense of base and my rolling partners find it hard to believe taht I am still new at grappling.

That being said, I will be going for a KO because I get a little more $$ for a KO.
Sounds like you have an exciting style and are well-rounded. You should do well. Man I wish had the time to devote to MMA. Much respect to you guys who actually do it. I did some kickboxing and boxing in high school, but not enough to really understand the standup game on a technical level, more just myself and a friend brawling. I really love competition, and MMA is the ultimate form of competition IMO.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sounds like you have an exciting style and are well-rounded. You should do well. Man I wish had the time to devote to MMA. Much respect to you guys who actually do it. I did some kickboxing and boxing in high school, but not enough to really understand the standup game on a technical level, more just myself and a friend brawling. I really love competition, and MMA is the ultimate form of competition IMO.
The first thing I learned in striking is called a figure 8 where you learn which foot to lead with in both a defensive and offensive position. After I learned how to lead off the proper foot and the body rotation aspect everything has come to me really quickly. I have also watched a lot of fights of the really technical strikers to watch their body movement while throwing punches and kicks. For me, the most helpful have been Crocop, Shogun, and Anderson Silva. Their motions are just so smooth and fluid and I hope to emulate their style.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
good luck man. ive always wanted to be a pro fighter but just dont have the time to train or fit it in with the rest of my life goals lol. congrats man, hope it works out. lol oh and if ur more standup(hence the comp. to crocrp) and a guy shoot you, greet him harshly with ur knee in the side of his face. seems to always work for me. good luck bro

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update

I may have a fight a little earlier than anticipated, so I have to kick my training into high gear. I was originally planning for around Easter, but this show is on Feb 27. I am around 190 right now and know that I can cut down to 180 in about 4 weeks so I should be able to make 170 w/o killing myself. One of my training partners told me about how he was going to be on this and I figured, why not?

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Good luck. Rodja by KO slam.

Is 170 your natural weight class or are you fighting at that weight because there is an opening for you at 170?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good luck. Rodja by KO slam.

Is 170 your natural weight class or are you fighting at that weight because there is an opening for you at 170?
I was planning on 170 b/c I feel as though it would be the weight I could most competitive.

size

Awards
  • Established
Best of luck with the reduction in weight. Stay positive.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, I haven't gotten the final word yet, but I am training like it is going to happen. Yesterday, I lifted, rode my bike for about 45 minutes, and went to takedown practice for about 90 minutes. Today, I did cardio and BJJ for about 2 hours collectively. Needless to say, I am hurting everywhere. I had not done much, as far as my MMA training is concerned, for about a month, so I am having to readapt and regain my cardio.

exnihilo

exnihilo

Awards
  • Established
Ditch the bike bro. Stick to running, jump rope (try it with a weight vest :) and plyometrics.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ditch the bike bro. Stick to running, jump rope (try it with a weight vest :) and plyometrics.
I sprained my big toe the other day and I am just doing this right now to have some form of cardio. I usually do a mix of sprints and jogging combined with conditioning from the Bas DVDs. I hope that they heal up in the next couple of days b/c I know that I need to run to get my conditioning where it needs to be.